Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

flerp posted:

also dont think imp is a scumbo for saying a person who only posts meow isnt doing anything. it might be tryhard but doesnt feel like scum tryhard

Correct, imp is fine and nevergirls is bad for that vote on him. ##vote nevergirls

Merk is a good enough player historically (recent history excepted) I trust him to stop shitposting and start playing before the game day's done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

2 penny bottle imp posted:

Could we not start with the vaguely implied roleclaiming? Even as a joke it muddies the water for real roleclaims later.

Also lol this is the towniest thing ever to start this game off with and I'm pretty much never voting them ever

votefinder
Jul 6, 2010

scoop scoop
Votecount for Day 1

2 penny bottle imp (2): merk, NevergirlsOFFICIAL
Cold on a Cob (1): Mordiceius, Podima, Podima
NevergirlsOFFICIAL (1): Podima
Mordiceius (1): Cold on a Cob
Podima (0): merk, merk, NevergirlsOFFICIAL, NevergirlsOFFICIAL

Not Voting (4): 2 penny bottle imp, flerp, GenericGirlName, WrenP-Complete

With 9 alive, it's 5 votes to execute. The current deadline is August 30th, 2017 at 6 p.m. EDT -- that's in about 10 hours, 25 minutes.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
:justpost:

2 penny bottle imp
Jun 11, 2008

I KNOW WHAT YOU DID LAST SCUMMER

flerp posted:

i think its jokephase and merk is joking aka null tell

Joke or not, being so belligerent about it really puts a sour taste in my mouth.

## vote merk

I'll remove my vote if he can make a post containing more than 'meow', but as is there's no point having him in the game if that's all he's going to do. With short days, that is waaaay too much 'joke phase'.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

I'm town

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Who's scum?

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Podima posted:

Who's scum?

my vote is on 2 penny

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

NevergirlsOFFICIAL posted:

my vote is on 2 penny

You're wrong. Who else?

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

quote:

Votecount for Day 1

Not Voting (3): flerp, GenericGirlName, WrenP-Complete

With 9 alive, it's 5 votes to execute. The current deadline is August 30th, 2017 at 6 p.m. EDT -- that's in about 8 hours, 14 minutes.

Can we please get some reads from the three of you?

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Podima posted:

You're wrong. Who else?

Possibly wren but this is her second time ever playing

2 penny bottle imp
Jun 11, 2008

Possibly wren but this is her second time ever playing

Ya, directly stating "am new plz halp" is a little too on the nose, as the naive response. A little suspicious, IMO.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

I don't get how to play. :(

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Oh no, I refreshed and saw the post above mine.

2 penny bottle imp
Jun 11, 2008

WrenP-Complete posted:

Oh no, I refreshed and saw the post above mine.

Lol everything else aside, this is pretty funny.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

WrenP-Complete posted:

I don't get how to play. :(

Start by reading the thread and then say who you think is scum!

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

## vote wrenp-complete

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Don't lynch a newbie Day 1 for doing newbie things, you dingus. That's predatory.

Are you new too?

(I agree that lurking until being called out IS scummy but I tend to give newbies a pass for Day 1 at least.)

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Start by reading the thread and then say who you think is scum!

But... I don't know why I would think anyone in particular was scum.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

WrenP-Complete posted:

But... I don't know why I would think anyone in particular was scum.

I'll dig up a really good newbie primer for you in 30 or so, but the short version is to think about whose posting seems manufactured or unnatural. Scum have to fake their reads (i.e. they HAVE to be faking calling people scummy when they know they're town) so a large part of this game is catching that in how people post.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Actually here it is: http://pastebin.com/uCStJU10

Pastebin is blocked at work so I can't confirm if that's still a valid link, but here's a direct link to the post it contains (requires archives):
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3780884&pagenumber=72&perpage=40#post461786743

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Podima posted:

Actually here it is: http://pastebin.com/uCStJU10

Pastebin is blocked at work so I can't confirm if that's still a valid link, but here's a direct link to the post it contains (requires archives):
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3780884&pagenumber=72&perpage=40#post461786743

Thanks!

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Cold on the Cob is scum.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Mordiceius posted:

Cold on the Cob is scum.

Elaborate, please.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
They sprung my trap. My trap only traps scum.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
I'm town. Mordiceius, your trap is wrong. Seems like a scum tactic maybe.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Podima posted:

Don't lynch a newbie Day 1 for doing newbie things, you dingus. That's predatory.

Are you new too?

(I agree that lurking until being called out IS scummy but I tend to give newbies a pass for Day 1 at least.)

I haven't played in years. Worst thing that can happen is we lynched a non-contributing town. Best thing is I eliminated scum.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

I haven't played in years. Worst thing that can happen is we lynched a non-contributing town. Best thing is I eliminated scum.

Never lynch newbies day 1.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Mordiceius posted:

They sprung my trap. My trap only traps scum.

Can you do a little better than this, please? It looks like a weak flavor trap, unless I'm missing something.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
I know it's a weak flavour trap. :colbert:

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Mordiceius posted:

Never lynch newbies day 1.

why

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Podima posted:

Correct, imp is fine and nevergirls is bad for that vote on him. ##vote nevergirls

Merk is a good enough player historically (recent history excepted) I trust him to stop shitposting and start playing before the game day's done.

hold up did you vote for me because I put a vote on 2penny but you're not voting merk for meta reasons

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

I'm putting my vote back on you

##vote podima

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Because most newbies don't know how to play and/or not good at playing from the start so unless they come out saying "Lynch me. I'm literally anti-town aligned" it is nearly impossible to properly read anything into their actions day 1. By the end of day 2, and with any intel that may come from njght 1, it's easier to get a proper read on newbies.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

mafia edit

##vote podima

case, such as it is

- first bandwagon vote
- voted me for voting on 2penny, but didn't vote on merk even though he also did that AND is obviously contributing nothing to the game

Not strong but this is what I have to go on D1

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Mordiceius posted:

Because most newbies don't know how to play and/or not good at playing from the start so unless they come out saying "Lynch me. I'm literally anti-town aligned" it is nearly impossible to properly read anything into their actions day 1. By the end of day 2, and with any intel that may come from njght 1, it's easier to get a proper read on newbies.

fair enough

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

hold up did you vote for me because I put a vote on 2penny but you're not voting merk for meta reasons

I voted for you because your rationale for voting 2penny is bad and faked. It was a weak +1, and like I just said scum HAVE to manufacture reasons for voting.

I'm fine with giving merk the opportunity to play the game he signed up for, but if he doesn't come back and make posts today I'm also OK murdering him.

Mordiceius posted:

This and, from a self-serving perspective for the Mafia community as a whole, we want newbies to stick around and keep playing. Killing them on Day 1 does little to advance that.

That being said, since this is a newbie-heavy game it may be a little difficult to stick with that here.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

mafia edit

##vote podima

case, such as it is

- first bandwagon vote
- voted me for voting on 2penny, but didn't vote on merk even though he also did that AND is obviously contributing nothing to the game

Not strong but this is what I have to go on D1

lol

You bandwagoned on 2penny before I voted you, and merk's votes were obviously joke votes that he was tossing around. Settle down.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Do you have a case on somebody else other than me? I'm also "okay" with murdering merk at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
My strongest case is a town read on 2penny, but this is also a shockingly hedgey post:

GenericGirlName posted:

I'm not super experienced with forums mafia (this is my second game, and the first one was in 2013 lol) so I don't think I've got any good D1 shitpost analysis just yet. Merk being antagonistic and stuff seems too risky/stupid a play for scum? What do you guys think?

Other than that there's not enough to go on yet, so more people should post!!!

• Locked thread