Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JPrime
Jul 4, 2007

tales of derring-do, bad and good luck tales!
College Slice
DA:I has this as well. Cole: "You can't hurt me!" over and over and over and over and over

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

Strife posted:

For the most part, the new translation is worlds better, but there are two lines that are sorely missing from the latest version.

"Don't blame us. Blame yourself or God" and "Surrender or die in obscurity!"

Those are among my favorite lines from any video game ever.

I also like that they give you the shitstain Algus/Argath as a temporary ally but even the game's mechanics seem designed around hating him, even before you're given a reason to. The mission where you find him at the hands of rogues is the only one where prioritizing killing the enemy over saving the victim gives you a permanent stat boost. Plus he comes with a better weapon and accessory than is available, so you can strip him to save 1500 Gil. And the topper is that he's always a handy target to throw a stone at or whack for some much needed JP in the early missions. Nothing like seeing him rush into battle, take a bunch of damage because he's naked, then have him run back to safety only to have some generic squire bean him unconscious with a rock.

maou shoujo
Apr 12, 2014

ニンゲンの表裏一体

Barudak posted:

Burn to th-Burn t-Burn Burn B-Burn to the-Burn to the ground!

Thanks megaman.

Also Shining Force Neo(?) and its endless loving loop of "hot stuff coming your way"

In SSBMelee I loved mashing the confirm button on a character to make the announcer say their name repeatedly.

Doctor Doctor Doctor Mario, Doctor Doctor Doctor Mario

Mr. Gay- Mr. Gay- Mr. Gay- Mr. Gay- Mr. Gay- Mr. Gay- Mr. Gay-man Watch

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

HOO'S HEAD GOES ALL THE WAY AROUND?
I really like how Hyrule Warriors does voices. They're generic little gasps and cries, but for characters like Midna and Toon Link, they're sourced from the games they originate from. It's cute.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Dr Christmas posted:

I recall all the American monuments were the same. There were a few missions in Washington DC on each side. The Allied ones had gave you reward crates for sending engineers to repair various monuments (The command center lady comments they gave the Lincoln Memorial statue a Stalin head), while the Soviet ones gave you rewards for destroying them. All the monuments had special animations when they were destroyed instead of blowing up instantly.

The names of the monuments in the Soviet mission that took place in Paris were changed. The main objective was to change the "Paris Tower" into a giant Tesla coil. The Arc de Triomphe was replaced with the "Paris Arc of Winning." :pseudo:

I don't remember if it was Tiberium Sun 1 or 2 , but in the Dallas map if you go to the Texas School Book Depository where JFK was shot there's an NPC sniper on the grassy knoll.

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!
Man, I can't believe I've owned Phantom Pain for like 6 months and just only got around to playing it. This game is fun as gently caress. It's like the correct version of how video game guerrilla warfare should work - sneak into bases, take out a few guys, plant C4 on the coms towers and maybe some other stuff, blow them up and proceed to gently caress poo poo up.

And the things you're destroying actually make a difference - you can make it so they can't call for reinforcements, you can take out their machine guns, AA guns, commandeer their mortars (which is how I actually beat the first mission where I had to destroy tanks; I brought an RPG but I found a mortar way up on the hill so I sent a few rounds at the tanks and managed to take out the front one and that boxed the rest of them in. The tanks got off one shot at me, but it hit their AA coms and destroyed that for me.)

It's like if Ghost Recon Wildlands were actually good, but 2 years before that came out.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Finished up Bioshock 2 (yes, including Minerva's Den, stop asking) from the HD reissue and... I kind of think it was better than the first game? Apparently this is at odds with the general consensus--and to be fair, it is the extra content in Minerva's Den that put it over the top for me. Still, though. It has better weapons, and more satisfying combat in general; the change to the hacking minigame was a huge improvement; so were the changes to collecting enemy research; the NPCs were more interesting both in dialogue, and as characters; the ending is more than the result of a single binary choice that you made at the beginning of the game. The main flaw is that it's not Bioshock 1, and therefore gets to be ' just more of the same' instead of 'an original and engaging setting.' Which is fair... yet somewhat beside the point now that we're 10 years and counting from the first game's release. You can't take its status as the original away. However that status no longer matters when you're actually playing the games.

Anyway, I digress. This is supposed to be favorite little things in games, and my favorite little thing in Bioshock 2 is firing a rocket spear into a Brute Splicer and watching it launch him backwards into a cluster of cyclone traps that send him bouncing all over the place like a ping-pong ball, which then explodes. (Sometimes they survive this with a sliver of health and shout something about being back in a jiff while they run to the nearest health station, which sprays them with poison gas until they die because I obsessively hack them on the off chance I get to watch that happen.)

Guavatin
Mar 30, 2017

I think my tongues trying to kill me
Just started my 4-5th (?) playthrough of morrowind and it finally clicked. I don't know what it was, but I just can't put the game down now.

One of my favorite things about the game is how the quest journal works. Speifically, getting certain bits of information for quests from various npcs which in turn actually fills in as a blue clickable helping you find out where to go for your next objective.

A bit janky but I really do enjoy that aspect.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Rangpur posted:

Finished up Bioshock 2 (yes, including Minerva's Den, stop asking) from the HD reissue and... I kind of think it was better than the first game? Apparently this is at odds with the general consensus--and to be fair, it is the extra content in Minerva's Den that put it over the top for me. Still, though. It has better weapons, and more satisfying combat in general; the change to the hacking minigame was a huge improvement; so were the changes to collecting enemy research; the NPCs were more interesting both in dialogue, and as characters; the ending is more than the result of a single binary choice that you made at the beginning of the game. The main flaw is that it's not Bioshock 1, and therefore gets to be ' just more of the same' instead of 'an original and engaging setting.' Which is fair... yet somewhat beside the point now that we're 10 years and counting from the first game's release. You can't take its status as the original away. However that status no longer matters when you're actually playing the games.

Anyway, I digress. This is supposed to be favorite little things in games, and my favorite little thing in Bioshock 2 is firing a rocket spear into a Brute Splicer and watching it launch him backwards into a cluster of cyclone traps that send him bouncing all over the place like a ping-pong ball, which then explodes. (Sometimes they survive this with a sliver of health and shout something about being back in a jiff while they run to the nearest health station, which sprays them with poison gas until they die because I obsessively hack them on the off chance I get to watch that happen.)

Yeah I'm in this boat too, Bioshock 2 is my favorite Bioshock. Being able to dual wield guns and plasmids was great, the drill was great and the Andrew Ryan theme park is one of the best set pieces in the series. There was a ton of combat variety with the Big Sisters. Bioshock 2 was kind of always going to fail though, having to follow up Bioshock is a pretty heavy hurdle to jump.

Preem Palver
Jul 5, 2007

Guavatin posted:

Just started my 4-5th (?) playthrough of morrowind and it finally clicked. I don't know what it was, but I just can't put the game down now.

One of my favorite things about the game is how the quest journal works. Speifically, getting certain bits of information for quests from various npcs which in turn actually fills in as a blue clickable helping you find out where to go for your next objective.

A bit janky but I really do enjoy that aspect.

IIRC, the hyperlinks in the journal weren't added until the first expansion, so originally you just had to flip backwards through the pages until you found whatever you were looking for. I suppose both that and the QoL improvement with the hyperlinks are some of my favorite little things in games. It's pretty immersive the first time playing Morrowind going "well, I wrote down the directions to so-and-so quest location but it was 5 or 6 in-game days ago, better comb through the last few pages of the journal to find them" like an actual journal rather than just having a quest log and compass pointer. However, having the hyperlinks was awesome for subsequent playthroughs after Tribunal came out because the novelty of page-flipping backwards through a journal to look up anything wore off quickly.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Rangpur posted:

Finished up Bioshock 2 (yes, including Minerva's Den, stop asking) from the HD reissue and... I kind of think it was better than the first game? Apparently this is at odds with the general consensus--and to be fair, it is the extra content in Minerva's Den that put it over the top for me.

Bioshock 2 is my favorite of the three games but I never played Minerva's Den despite hearing good things about it. How does the HD remaster hold up? When it came out there were a bunch of articles saying it was somehow worse than just playing the original, with weird changes like adding water effects that were worse than what was already there to start. I got the remasters for free since I already had the original trilogy on Steam but don't know which I should reinstall for another playthrough.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

LawfulWaffle posted:

I'm gonna crowbar in a different game to break up Prey chat and say that I really like the newer translation in Final Fantasy Tactics: The War of the Lions.
Is that the one that first came out on the PSP, basically a remake of the original FFT? I worked on the retranslation. :3: Glad you like it!

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Bioshock 2 is my favorite of the three games but I never played Minerva's Den despite hearing good things about it. How does the HD remaster hold up? When it came out there were a bunch of articles saying it was somehow worse than just playing the original, with weird changes like adding water effects that were worse than what was already there to start. I got the remasters for free since I already had the original trilogy on Steam but don't know which I should reinstall for another playthrough.
You'd have to ask someone who played the original version (preferably on a high-end PC) instead of me and my scrub PS4. But if you liked Bioshock 2, Minerva's Den is easily worth the relatively short time you'll need to beat it.

Basically it's a few open-ended hub areas that you can explore at your leisure, or go straight towards the next plot objective. The order you acquire weapons in is different. Same goes for Plasmids. I think there are only 3 they give you outright--you have to choose which others to buy, and even electroshock is optional. (There's also only the one ending to it, so saving/harvesting/ignoring Little Sisters is p. much entirely at your discretion.)

The combination of open-endedness and having to decide in advance how you want to fight is what people liked about the gameplay, I think.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Rangpur posted:

I never played the first but I really enjoyed Bioshock 2. Near the end of the game I was overpowered enough that I just ran around slapping enemies to death with the drill. I was the best goddamn high-fiver in all of Rapture

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Bioshock 1 and 2 have always been more or less exactly equal to me. Each of them does certain things better than the other, and neither is flawless. Though I've still yet to play Minerva's Den...

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
I wish more people played Bioshock 2 just so the people who criticized Infinite for having the Vox Populi be bloodthirsty revolutionaries in one of countless alternate universes could see what an actual unironic "well maybe BOTH sides are just as bad if you think about it :thunk:" plot looks like.

The music was pretty great at least, they made some slightly deeper cuts with what they licensed plus they had tracks playing over the loading screens so they got to put in more of it. Artie Shaw's Nightmare playing while you descended to the final level was especially badass.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wq-gALidMMk

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

Hirayuki posted:

Is that the one that first came out on the PSP, basically a remake of the original FFT? I worked on the retranslation. :3: Glad you like it!

Awesome! It's good work and really makes playing through it again a treat.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
Picked up Prey because of this thread and I'm still not sure what I think of it. I don't hate it, but I don't think it's really grabbed me yet.

There were two little things that stood out to me:

First one was a safe with a note stuck to it that said "in case you forget the combo" and two squares of the periodic table. Looked them up and the atomic numbers were the code. Just thought it was a cool way to do that instead of an email saying "hey here's your code dumbass"

Second was hidden in a corner outside the same area, a snowman made of Gloo and other things with a note next to it that said "Hi, I'm Glooey McGooface"

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Guy Mann posted:

I wish more people played Bioshock 2 just so the people who criticized Infinite for having the Vox Populi be bloodthirsty revolutionaries in one of countless alternate universes could see what an actual unironic "well maybe BOTH sides are just as bad if you think about it :thunk:" plot looks like.

What? People would just be more annoyed if they'd played 2 and noticed that they're still making GBS threads the bed on making two antagonists having decent motivations without also going 'ah yes, the antifa are not so different from the Nazis after all!'

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Joey Freshwater posted:

There were two little things that stood out to me:

First one was a safe with a note stuck to it that said "in case you forget the combo" and two squares of the periodic table. Looked them up and the atomic numbers were the code. Just thought it was a cool way to do that instead of an email saying "hey here's your code dumbass"

Prey does them both a lot. But codes to like, optional safes and stuff tend to be hidden through little puzzles. Like the chapter of a book on the person's desk, or written somewhere in a video so you have to remember it yourself rather than the game just telling you out right. It's a nice balance between rewarding people for thinking and exploring, and just letting people experience the plot.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I thought we all came to a concensus long ago that Bioshock is strictly superior to the first in every way but story and that one moral choice people argued over for days, which ultimately is a summary for why "moral choices" are stupid in games.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Yeah, it wasn't really that much of a Truth in the Middle thing, more of showing the absolute extremes of both ideals - extreme selfishness versus extreme selflessness, and of course both were hypocrites because how else would they have gotten on top of such societies? I also like the irony in the theme park - Andrew Ryan made it what he wanted the art to be, not the designer - Andrew Ryan had become the hated Censor.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Nuebot posted:

Prey does them both a lot. But codes to like, optional safes and stuff tend to be hidden through little puzzles. Like the chapter of a book on the person's desk, or written somewhere in a video so you have to remember it yourself rather than the game just telling you out right. It's a nice balance between rewarding people for thinking and exploring, and just letting people experience the plot.

It also feels somewhat realistic as the owner's private reminder, instead of a dozen hacked emails saying "HERE'S THE CODE, STOP FORGETTING THE CODE YOU loving IDOT!" in various flavours.

Tsunemori
Nov 20, 2006

HEEEYYYWHOOOHHH

Hirayuki posted:

Wowsa, FFT has always been my favourite game ever and I own it across all platforms and have played it repeatedly forever. Do you have an Ask Me thread about your work in the new translation? Because I would love to know more!

It must have been 5+ years of no FFT before I played WotL though, so the new translation was actually really refreshing. English was my second language so I couldn't understand the story too much when I played the original version (I was like 14) - I know some people criticised the choice of using "ye olde English", but I think it added to the whole mysticism of the game. Like watching a medieval-era play that you're not meant to understand completely - but enjoy the performance anyway!

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It also feels somewhat realistic as the owner's private reminder, instead of a dozen hacked emails saying "HERE'S THE CODE, STOP FORGETTING THE CODE YOU loving IDOT!" in various flavours.

Now if only there would be one NPC in a game who used the same password for every account. No hints or anything but just some stupid puzzle where you have to hack their email early on then at the end of the game, it's the same password to get access to the enemy secret base.

Barudak posted:

I thought we all came to a concensus long ago that Bioshock is strictly superior to the first in every way but story and that one moral choice people argued over for days, which ultimately is a summary for why "moral choices" are stupid in games.

Moral choices are always bad and dumb, especially when the game rewards you for them. The best moral choices in games are the ones where the choice, and consequence, only really matters to the player. Like there's one in No Man's Sky where you're given the option to let a guy die forever, or trap his memory in an endless simulation where no one can ever interact with him again, but as long as he doesn't find out he's in a simulation he'll be happy. And the choice doesn't really matter, nor does someone give you a random amount of money for picking the "good" choice. But it's the kind of thing that matters to the person making the choice if you're sufficiently into the storyline, characters or setting.

Brain In A Jar
Apr 21, 2008

I've been playing Gigantic over the last couple of days (if you haven't heard of it, or it rings a bell, it's that half-MOBA half-class based shooter that's been in development for ages). I kind of get bored with a lot of class-based shooters, and never really played MOBAs, because the strategy usually gets stale really quickly, but I appreciate what Gigantic does by having a whole bunch of factors that mean you have to make decisions on what your team is going to do on the fly.

I guess my favourite little thing is that there's a tonne of characters/classes (like at least 16) but they all have a different playstyle, and actually feel useful and not just copy/pasted abilites, so you can generally find a few in different roles that you genuinely click with and find fun to play, and then use one of those depending on your team makeup.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

The Witcher games are good for that. Your don't choose between Good and Evil, you choose which of the options you consider to be Good. And then live with that, because there's no omniscient narrator to tell you if you did good or bad.

The Lone Badger has a new favorite as of 06:42 on Aug 30, 2017

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
Sonic Mania brings back stages from older Sonic games and mixes them up with power ups from other Sonic games.

I wasn't expecting Oil Ocean Zone to come back, and I definitely wasn't expecting to be able to ignite the oil pits and slides with the Flame Shield!

Also, they blended stages together, like Oil Ocean's second act takes influence from Sandopolis's second act in Sonic & Knuckles with the timed switches you need to pull to clear smog off the screen and help you see obstacles. In Sandopolis those switches would keep the lights on to prevent ghosts from hurting you.

PubicMice
Feb 14, 2012

looking for information on posts

Nuebot posted:

Moral choices are always bad and dumb, especially when the game rewards you for them. The best moral choices in games are the ones where the choice, and consequence, only really matters to the player. Like there's one in No Man's Sky where you're given the option to let a guy die forever, or trap his memory in an endless simulation where no one can ever interact with him again, but as long as he doesn't find out he's in a simulation he'll be happy. And the choice doesn't really matter, nor does someone give you a random amount of money for picking the "good" choice. But it's the kind of thing that matters to the person making the choice if you're sufficiently into the storyline, characters or setting.

Did you type the wrong game? Does No Man's Sky have characters and a story now?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

PubicMice posted:

Did you type the wrong game? Does No Man's Sky have characters and a story now?

It does. It's not great? But it's interesting and gives you a reason to engage with the mechanics a bit. I'm digging the changes they made to the game and I kind of like that the devs are seriously trying to live up to their promises by rolling out a bunch of huge free content updates rather than just letting a bad game die in obscurity and haunt them forever.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

BioEnchanted posted:

Yeah, it wasn't really that much of a Truth in the Middle thing, more of showing the absolute extremes of both ideals - extreme selfishness versus extreme selflessness, and of course both were hypocrites because how else would they have gotten on top of such societies? I also like the irony in the theme park - Andrew Ryan made it what he wanted the art to be, not the designer - Andrew Ryan had become the hated Censor.

Bioshock was entirely about objectivist individualism falling apart in the face of transhumanism and then Bioshock 2 goes "oh yeah and uh there was a collectivist who was there the entire time and she was totally evil too and now she wants to use psychology and child murder to make everyone equal", it was just handled really poorly on almost every level. If nothing else it should make you appreciate Infinite choosing to focus on being a meta-commentary about Bioshock sequels and deconstructing the idea of constants and variables.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Guy Mann posted:

Bioshock was entirely about objectivist individualism falling apart in the face of transhumanism and then Bioshock 2 goes "oh yeah and uh there was a collectivist who was there the entire time and she was totally evil too and now she wants to use psychology and child murder to make everyone equal", it was just handled really poorly on almost every level. If nothing else it should make you appreciate Infinite choosing to focus on being a meta-commentary about Bioshock sequels and deconstructing the idea of constants and variables.
Also it's about how racism and wage slavery are equally as bad as rebelling against those things.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

It fell apart because objectivism fundamentally doesn't work not because of the transhumanism lol. Fontaine directly tells the player this "they come to Rapture thinking they're gonna be captains of industry, but they all forget that somebody's gotta scrub the toilets. ". If you want a glorious city of artists and scholars and vaunt them someone still needs to clean up the poo poo. Eventually that divide will grow and lead to revolution especially in Rapture which is such a focused microcosm of it. Also because Fontaine literally seized on it to fast track Rapture towards revolution so he could take over after Ryan tried to kill him when he went about it "legit".

EmmyOk has a new favorite as of 16:19 on Aug 30, 2017

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Tsunemori posted:

Wowsa, FFT has always been my favourite game ever and I own it across all platforms and have played it repeatedly forever. Do you have an Ask Me thread about your work in the new translation? Because I would love to know more!
There's not much to it: Some ten years ago, one or more translators at an agency delivered a product that wasn't up to SQEX's standards (the original FFT script?), SQEX asked for it to be rewritten, and the agency handed the text off to me. I did some fresh translation as well as the rewriting work. It was pretty fun, as I remember, and I got my name in the credits. :)

I suppose one of my favorite little things in games is when companies care enough to fix translations that weren't up to par the first time around. Has FF7 been retranslated yet?

Baba Yaga Fanboy
May 18, 2011

"Boss, you sure you want this logo?"

"Yeah... it's based on this nightmare someone once told me about..."

Baba Yaga Fanboy has a new favorite as of 17:19 on Aug 30, 2017

yook
Mar 11, 2001

YES, CLIFFORD THE BIG RED DOG IS ABSOLUTELY A KAIJU

Hirayuki posted:

I suppose one of my favorite little things in games is when companies care enough to fix translations that weren't up to par the first time around. Has FF7 been retranslated yet?
I remember the PC port having some of the more infamous parts fixed.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Nuebot posted:

I really like the location of one password: Its written on a post-it note stuck underneath the desk. You can just find it by crawling under their desk for no reason whatsoever, but there's also an email from an IT person/security person basically saying "I reset your password, but stop writing your passwords on post-it notes under your desk you dumbass.

Prey's decently realistic email chains where you can read the contents of emails on the computer of both the sender and receiver allows from some fun things every once in awhile.

Nuebot posted:

Now if only there would be one NPC in a game who used the same password for every account. No hints or anything but just some stupid puzzle where you have to hack their email early on then at the end of the game, it's the same password to get access to the enemy secret base.
Dishonored 2 kind of has this. I might be misremembering, though. You can get the code to a safe in the first mission. When you come back in the last mission, the code is still the same. IIRC. It might also be that its a different safe owned by the same person with the same code, but either way, having access to the safe in the last level requires you to have gotten it way back in the first.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

maou shoujo posted:

In SSBMelee I loved mashing the confirm button on a character to make the announcer say their name repeatedly.

Doctor Doctor Doctor Mario, Doctor Doctor Doctor Mario

Mr. Gay- Mr. Gay- Mr. Gay- Mr. Gay- Mr. Gay- Mr. Gay- Mr. Gay-man Watch

The CD version of Star Trek: 25th Anniversary was fully voiced by the original cast. I got stuck in one mission and did the adventure game flail of trying every inventory item on every onscreen object. Being, like, 12 at the time, I found it way too entertaining to try to use the phaser on things only to have Deforest Kelly tell me, "Jim, put that thing away."

"Jim, put that thing away."

"Jim, put that thing away."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Its the same safe and if your robbed it in the first mission there is a note in there written to you, the returning theif.