Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

The First of the Adorable Dead
I'm pretty sure Sanderson has said that Windrunners in particular have lots of squires.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hopeford
Oct 15, 2010

Eh, why not?
I'm really interested in Adolin's development because he's the first "important" character in the franchise to go in a more...unusual way? Like, it felt very out of the norm for one of the heroes to be like "...Actually gently caress it." I mean it would fit like, Game of Thrones, but it seemed so out of place in a good way. I hope the series keep making characters change the landscape with sudden, irreversible actions. It gives a certain weight to that very well planned setting that I appreciate.

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song before I go / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today
I love the character of Adolin and I hope he gets a really good arc through the whole series! What makes me nervous is that Adolin was never planned to be as big of a character as he has become in Sanderson's original outline (I think I read somewhere Adolin was supposed to get killed off quite early?) except the character worked out much better than planned.

Here's a 17th Shard discussion on Adolin that's quite interesting:
http://www.17thshard.com/forum/topic/59355-typo-or-new-role-for-adolin/

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe

insider posted:

I went with Warbreaker and am 50% done. I can't believe he hasn't made more books in this world as I find it probably the most interesting magical system besides the one in Emperor's Soul. Maybe there is a reason for that at the end but drat I love the breath/color magic system. I know most people told me to read the 2nd Mistborn set but I think that is the most boring magic system he has created so I decided against it.

I'm going to finish this and then read the Lift short story and then be ready for Oathbringer.

I really like the scenes where they play that ball game, with Lightbringer claiming to not know the rules and still winning all the time. It's like when you explain a game to someone and it's his first time but he gets super lucky and wins all the time, everyone around them get annoyed.

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

https://www.tor.com/2017/08/29/oathbringer-brandon-sanderson-chapter-1-3/

Chapters 1-3 are up of Oathbringer.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

I only just started reading the prologue. So far, so good.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

L-O-N posted:

Windrunners can have squires, and they can use stormlight also, though less well. This is shown in the only Dalinar vision in book 2. Not saying you have to be born a radiant, but what happened to Lopen is different.

I might have misinterpreted it then, I thought maybe they were just learning and hadn't gotten to the point of swearing the first ideal yet. It just seemed more likely to me that the spren chooses a person, and they can then become a radiant with training, , not that you're born with the ability. We haven't really seen someone training from the beginning yet, so Kaladin may have been pulling in a little bit of stormlight ever since he met Slyph, but just didn't notice. Kind of like how Dalinar's shoulder kept getting healed and he never noticed he was glowing. Edgedancer even had Taln point something similar out, that the old lady who took care of the orphans had yet to learn how to heal herself automatically by pulling in stormlight, and she had never noticed herself glowing.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
^^^ I think it was implied Kaladin has been doing exactly that ever since he joined the military.

Well that answered a lot of recent questions.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Evil Fluffy posted:

^^^ I think it was implied Kaladin has been doing exactly that ever since he joined the military.

Edit: Nevermind, I read the first two chapters.

seaborgium fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Aug 29, 2017

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade
I think it's pretty much directly stated that it's the ability to use stormlight that draws the spren rather than the spren granting the ability to use stormlight.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.

Rumda posted:

I think it's pretty much directly stated that it's the ability to use stormlight that draws the spren rather than the spren granting the ability to use stormlight.

no? How would that make any sense with Kaladin completely losing the ability to use stormlight after his spat with Syl?

Syl even remembers being drawn to Kaladin specifically because of how he protected the soldiers in his squad.

Xenix
Feb 21, 2003

Rumda posted:

I don't think so. It appears that acting strongly on one of the ideals (other than the first) attracts a spren and that in turn grants the ability to draw in stormlight. No oaths or even communication with the spren is necessary. Kaladin had been protecting others for a long time and the earliest indication he may have used stormlight is the first time he picked up a quarterstaff. Dalinar appears to have been using it to heal his shoulder for 3+ decades as he fought to unite Alethkar. I suspect this will be corroborated in his flashbacks and we'll see the same things when we eventually get Jasnah's (and perhaps also Lift's) flashbacks.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

One other thing is that it's been said that one requirement to be come a radiant is to be "broken", which somehow lets the bond get through and "patch" the hole. So becoming a radiant seems to be a combination of (at least) three factors - living according to the ideals, a spren to bond with being avaliable, and whatever exactly being "broken" means in this context - reminds me of snapping in mistborn though.

Avalerion fucked around with this message at 10:43 on Aug 30, 2017

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song before I go / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today
Ahhhhh!!! Normally I'd want to binge read but babies are sure demanding. The slow dribble of chapters is actually quite satisfying as I don't have the taunt of unread chapters hanging over my head. Even just the first 3 chapters answers so many questions!

seaborgium posted:

I might have misinterpreted it then, I thought maybe they were just learning and hadn't gotten to the point of swearing the first ideal yet. It just seemed more likely to me that the spren chooses a person, and they can then become a radiant with training, , not that you're born with the ability.

You didn't misinterpret with regards to how it is supposed to work, as that actually is the case...however you are forgetting the fact that Syl has specifically said she is the only honorspren who has come - in defiance of the ruling honorspren AND the Stormfather (remember: "A DAUGHTER DISOBEYS.")

Also:

Avalerion posted:

One other thing is that it's been said that one requirement to be come a radiant is to be "broken", which somehow lets the bond get through and "patch" the hole. So becoming a radiant seems to be a combination of (at least) three factors - living according to the ideals, a spren to bond with being avaliable, and whatever exactly being "broken" means in this context - reminds me of snapping in mistborn though.

WoB has confirmed this is intentional for the magic systems on Scadrial and Roshar - there needs to be a "crack" for the Investiture to get in.

Leng fucked around with this message at 13:10 on Aug 30, 2017

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Kinky.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

Leng posted:

WoB has confirmed this is intentional for the magic systems on Scadrial and Roshar - there needs to be a "crack" for the Investiture to get in.

It's a pretty creative in-world explanation for why everyone with superpowers needs to have a tragic backstory.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Technically if you get REALLY happy it causes the same effects - but it's a hell of a lot more common to be driven to negative emotional extremes than positive ones.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Tunicate posted:

Technically if you get REALLY happy it causes the same effects - but it's a hell of a lot more common to be driven to negative emotional extremes than positive ones.

I'm the positive extreme

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

It would be a little unfair to let the depressed into the magic brotherhood but leave the manics out.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Subvisual Haze posted:

It's a pretty creative in-world explanation for why everyone with superpowers needs to have a tragic backstory.

This is also how it works in Worm.

MartingaleJack
Aug 26, 2004

I'll split you open and I don't even like coconuts.

Silver2195 posted:

This is also how it works in Worm.

Let's be honest--its how most characters in fantasy and science fiction come into their badasshood.

immoral_
Oct 21, 2007

So fresh and so clean.

Young Orc
To be fair, badasshood doesn't tend to occur from sitting on a couch eating cheetos.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

That's how the magic system works for the shard of Laziness, but unfortunately you lose all your powers the moment you attempt to use it.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
Odium consumed it and that's why he's trapped on Roshar.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
There's something interesting we learn from the released chapters. Remember the voidbinding chart?

With the Stormfather revealing that there are exactly 9 Unmade, it confirms that voidbinding isn't simply channeling the Unmade. They likely channel perverted "normal" surges, strongly hinted at with the voidsurge symbols being halfway inverted to their surgebinding counterparts. It also puts to rest the theory that the voidbinders were defeated in the last desolation by capturing the two Unmade powering the bondsmith and truthwatcher counterparts (as symbolized by the red crystal int he center of the voidbinding chart).

The surgebinding chart for comparison:

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

well yeah the unmade do different weird poo poo related to getting people to hurt each other, like setting up the Thrill or making dead people a good source of information - not sure why they'd be powering a different magic than their own weird aura effects

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

Are we 100% sure that chart is voidbinding? Stylistically it doesn't make a lot of sense that way, the woman on top would make more sense if the system was focused on Cultivation and red is the traditional color associated with Odium, not purple.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Subvisual Haze posted:

Are we 100% sure that chart is voidbinding? Stylistically it doesn't make a lot of sense that way, the woman on top would make more sense if the system was focused on Cultivation and red is the traditional color associated with Odium, not purple.

It was labeled as such if I remember correctly.

I seem to remember thinking the magic systems on Roshar are meant to be a result of the interactions between the 3 Shards anyway. Surge = honor + cultivation, void = odium + cultivation.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE posted:

It was labeled as such if I remember correctly.

I seem to remember thinking the magic systems on Roshar are meant to be a result of the interactions between the 3 Shards anyway. Surge = honor + cultivation, void = odium + cultivation.

So is there one yet to be discovered between odium and honor?

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Habibi posted:

So is there one yet to be discovered between odium and honor?

That would seem to be a very Brandon thing to do wouldnt it?

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Honor's the one who has been splintered, wouldn't it make more sense if surge = honor + cultivation, void = honor + odium? Honor is about bonds so he would provide the essence of the magic being binding with spren, while odium and cultivation would shape the magic's purpose. Plus it makes sense that the gods who are still alive leech power from the dead one.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Avalerion posted:

Honor's the one who has been splintered, wouldn't it make more sense if surge = honor + cultivation, void = honor + odium? Honor is about bonds so he would provide the essence of the magic being binding with spren, while odium and cultivation would shape the magic's purpose. Plus it makes sense that the gods who are still alive leech power from the dead one.

But the Knights Radiant existed before Honor's death, so their spren must have existed before his splintering as well.

The Gardenator
May 4, 2007

Yams Fan
https://www.tor.com/2017/09/05/oathbringer-by-brandon-sanderson-chapters-4-6/

Chapters 4-6 are up.

Theowulv
Feb 21, 2015

My wall can now attack
Chapter 6 was great. That was pretty much the best way Kaladin's homecoming could have been handled. His parents were loving and supportive AND he got to punch that scumbag in the face!

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

Theowulv posted:

Chapter 6 was great. That was pretty much the best way Kaladin's homecoming could have been handled. His parents were loving and supportive AND he got to punch that scumbag in the face!

Nooooo. I don't want to read until it's out, but this is so tempting.

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

That was a good set of chapters, but boy did that chapter 6 end make me wish I could keep reading...

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

Evil Fluffy posted:

Kaladin going back home is going to be terrible. If his parents are there and doing ok then he'll break down about failing Tien. If something's happened to them he'll mope and blame himself. If the light-eyed lord there did something to them he'll probably break his oath (no, I don't think his saying the oath late in book 2 is going to matter, because it's Kaladin), again, by killing the guy or something and spend the rest of the book trying to make up for it.

At this point unless he's magically grown up in the time he takes to travel there it's going to be so, so bad one way or another.

Well this wasn't a bad prediction. With that said I definitely enjoyed the chapters of him going home.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

Based on the responses from the world to the everstorm in the preview chapters I think we can conclude that the everstorm is not changing parshmen en masse into voidbringers as Dalinar thought. Dalinar thinks the Kings of the world are being stubborn in not responding immediately to him, and Kaladin notices only physical injuries in his village as one would expect from a natural disaster alone. For whatever reason the everstorm is not mass converting parshmen yet. Maybe Odium is purposefully delaying things to make Dalinar look like a quack? Maybe the conversion is voluntary and not all Parshmen are embracing it just yet?

L-O-N
Sep 13, 2004

Pillbug

Subvisual Haze posted:

Based on the responses from the world to the everstorm in the preview chapters I think we can conclude that the everstorm is not changing parshmen en masse into voidbringers as Dalinar thought. Dalinar thinks the Kings of the world are being stubborn in not responding immediately to him, and Kaladin notices only physical injuries in his village as one would expect from a natural disaster alone. For whatever reason the everstorm is not mass converting parshmen yet. Maybe Odium is purposefully delaying things to make Dalinar look like a quack? Maybe the conversion is voluntary and not all Parshmen are embracing it just yet?

It could be that they are not attacking but gathering first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jorenko
Jun 6, 2004

I think you're just mad 'cause you're single.

L-O-N posted:

It could be that they are not attacking but gathering first.

My crazy theory based on this idea: The parshmen need to be left out in the rain to turn. So only the people who listened to Dalinar and got rid of theirs will have been attacked; those that were kept inside are still dullform. This will make everyone believe Dalinar's in league with them and WANTS them all Voided up, making it even harder for him to get the other leaders to trust him.