Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

anyone wanna play a modded expert playthrough? haven't tried mods before and haven't played this in a year or two really, did a bit solo but it gets boring that way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

DoubleNegative posted:

Don't bring them down equally. Focus on one over the other, or you're in for a world of hurt. Also I'm sure this is a dumb question, but are you using buff potions? A heap of buffs can make all the difference in the world.

I'm using endurance, swiftness, cooked fish, regeneration and ironskin. Have I missed any?

Kalas
Jul 27, 2007

Lorini posted:

Any hints for The Twins? Tried the Blaster and the Megashark with the party bullets, and the Bow, dead every time :( Still no quiver do I need that? I did the skybridge with asphalt blocks

Farm unicorns for their apple, that will give you a unicorn mount that should be fast enough to move enough to keep from being eaten.
I assume you have wings by now, if you have to be on foot, make the best possible boots and get good at flying and dodging. A fast mount would probably be easier.

Kite and rain holy arrows on them.

Twins are probably the hardest of the mech bosses. It's inverse from the original trio.

Mech skull is just easy and easy to keep at range. The Destroyer is rougher with spam lasers but is a huge target for AE effects.

The Twins? They suck for newer players.

Archery potions if you are using a bow. Gravity potion to give you flying options.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.

Kalas posted:

Archery potions if you are using a bow. Gravity potion to give you flying options.

Yeah. Archery, and either Rage or Wrath depending on your world's evil. I also recommend using Crystal Bullets.

I dunno if it'll help you, but here's a video I made the last time I fought the twins: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=akb_mxHNewk

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

This is your annual reminder that crystal darts are so good.

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

Lorini posted:

Any hints for The Twins? Tried the Blaster and the Megashark with the party bullets, and the Bow, dead every time :( Still no quiver do I need that? I did the skybridge with asphalt blocks

Things you might not have gone for:
- Forge an Imp Staff using some of your spare Hellstone. The imp isn't world-shattering but you can summon one before you start the fight, it doesn't go away and free DPS is free DPS.
- Trigger a Goblin Invasion and get your hands on a Shadowflame Knife. That thing is amazing and carried me through all three Mechanical bosses (and then some). Ranged, ammoless, fast-firing and pretty decent damage besides. (If you can farm up the Hallowed Bars for it, I usually combo it with Frost Armor for the double/triple DoT on top.)
- Get the Imbuing Station and use something from that. Ichor/Cursed Inferno are good.
- I presume you've got an arena set up with campfire/heart lantern/heart statues on a timer. If not, it's worth it to at least set up the fire/lantern as it's super-easy and does help.

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

Tempest_56 posted:

- Forge an Imp Staff using some of your spare Hellstone. The imp isn't world-shattering but you can summon one before you start the fight, it doesn't go away and free DPS is free DPS.

Also if you're using any summons, you can find a Bewitching Table in the Dungeon which grants you +1 max summons for 10 minutes.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever
Focus your attacks on the eye that shoots green flames. It's the more dangerous of the two, and the laser-shooting eye is easy to take out when it's alone. One tip I have for avoiding their attacks is that you fly/fall vertically faster than you can move horizontally, so flying straight up or jumping off your skybridge is a good way to quickly get out of the way of the green flamethrower attack.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Mountaineer posted:

Focus your attacks on the eye that shoots green flames. It's the more dangerous of the two, and the laser-shooting eye is easy to take out when it's alone. One tip I have for avoiding their attacks is that you fly/fall vertically faster than you can move horizontally, so flying straight up or jumping off your skybridge is a good way to quickly get out of the way of the green flamethrower attack.

Thanks. Yeah this worked better than the unicorn approach which kept me too far down. On to Skeletron Prime!!!

Again thanks everyone this has been so much fun!

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Well I got past Skeletron Prime, went to craft my Pickaxe Axe, and somehow don't have the Soul of Sight so back to The Twins. Sigh. Is the Flamethrower any good? Should I craft that?

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice

Lorini posted:

Well I got past Skeletron Prime, went to craft my Pickaxe Axe, and somehow don't have the Soul of Sight so back to The Twins. Sigh. Is the Flamethrower any good? Should I craft that?

The flamethrower is kinda nice for clearing mobs, and runs on gel, which you can get fairly often. Its kinda nice to have, but make sure to keep a soul for the mining tool. Most things it was used for use other things now so there's not reallly competition.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Lorini posted:

Flamethrower is good for crowd control but sometimes it's annoying to keep that much gel on hand. It also does counter-intuitive poo poo with modifiers, consuming more ammo for little benefit with faster ones (double ammo per shot and faster fire rate wasting shots on the pierce cap). I'd stick with what you've got.

There really aren't any interesting weapon upgrades til after you kill Plantera (unlocks a bunch of drops in the dungeon and during solar eclipses) or Golem (unlocks the endgame invasion events).

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Aug 31, 2017

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
The Chlorophyte Shotbow is probably the next big ranged weapon upgrade. It fires several free shots for each arrow it consumes. Pair that with holy arrows and you can shred the next two bosses provided you can dodge around them.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

DoubleNegative posted:

The Chlorophyte Shotbow is probably the next big ranged weapon upgrade. It fires several free shots for each arrow it consumes. Pair that with holy arrows and you can shred the next two bosses provided you can dodge around them.
If he already has the Daedalus Stormbow that would be more of a downgrade.

Speaking of, fight hallowed/corrupt/crimson mimics if you haven't already. They show up rarely in their respective biomes or you can make keys of light/night out of 15 of the relevant souls, stick one in any chest and fight them on your own terms. Hallowed can drop Daedalus Stormbow, which is obscene.

Crimson and Corrupt drop Dart Pistol and Dart Rifle, which are pretty strong and fire pretty interesting ammo. Crystal darts made 100 per crystal shard bounce between 6 targets with some decent homing after the first hit. Ichor darts spread out and apply ichor to everything they hit, increasing the damage you deal. Cursed darts drop streams of cursed flames as they travel and apply a damage over time effect.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Aug 31, 2017

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

(I'm a she :) ) I have the Daedalus Stormbow, that's how I killed the Skeletron Prime. Man just completed the Solar Eclipse. My nurse died right off the bat, but I got out to my arena and stayed at the top, so I only died like 15 times instead of a lot more. I guess Plantera is next? But I need the green armor, right?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Lorini posted:

(I'm a she :) ) I have the Daedalus Stormbow, that's how I killed the Skeletron Prime. Man just completed the Solar Eclipse. My nurse died right off the bat, but I got out to my arena and stayed at the top, so I only died like 15 times instead of a lot more. I guess Plantera is next? But I need the green armor, right?

Chlorophyte armor isn't very good. Skip making it and save your chlorophyte for making shroomite armor after Plantera.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Chlorophyte bullets are very very good.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

The flamethrower is very very good against plantera

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?
Plantera is the first boss that i died to repeatedly before killing. Be ready to move a lot, especially in phase 2.

drat you all, making me want to play this again.

Kalas
Jul 27, 2007

funmanguy posted:

Plantera is the first boss that i died to repeatedly before killing. Be ready to move a lot, especially in phase 2.

drat you all, making me want to play this again.

I dust it off every time there's a major update or find out about a comprehensive mod (Thorium) or a complete stand-alone setup (Rip, Story of Red Cloud).
Usually restart from scratch and go till I hit Moonlord.

Expert Mode really added a lot of replability to the game, since even if you know what you're doing you can't just rush through things and ignore taking random hits.

According to Steam, I have close to 900 hours into this silly game at this point.

Cryohazard
Feb 5, 2010
For Plantera, you need to carve out a large arena in the jungle first. Then when you think it's large enough, double its size and then some.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Plantera is by far my worst boss. It's a pain to find, a pain to build an arena for and a pain to fight once you do.

Kalas
Jul 27, 2007

dis astranagant posted:

Plantera is by far my worst boss. It's a pain to find, a pain to build an arena for and a pain to fight once you do.

That's one thing I liked about the Thorium mod, the ability to craft certain boss summoning items akin to the mech bosses.

The bullshit part of Plantera is, if you take the long time to craft a proper arena and fail, good luck getting a 2nd bulb to spawn close enough to matter.

PS, if you build a BIG enough arena, you can use the Daedelus bow underground on the plant as well, holy arrow spam works nicely since there's so many components.

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

dis astranagant posted:

One of my most useful artificial biomes was built as follows:

-Dig out an arena-sized pit.
-Add one-block-thick rows of mud a bit more than character-height apart.
-Put platforms directly underneath the mud.
-Add actuators to the mud (not the platforms) and wire it to a single switch.
-Plant jungle grass.

Life fruits and Plantera bulbs frequently spawn, flipping the switch will start the fight and clear out the obstacles, and when you're done you can clentaminate it into a mushroom and truffle worm farm.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
Did anyone put a significant amount of time into that Terraria overhaul mod? It looked interesting but I was worried the new mechanics(such as no iframes and being dependent on dodge rolls) would fall apart horribly as the game progressed.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Qylvaran posted:

-Plant jungle grass.

Life fruits and Plantera bulbs frequently spawn, flipping the switch will start the fight and clear out the obstacles, and when you're done you can clentaminate it into a mushroom and truffle worm farm.

You lost me at the first step, if only because I mostly play expert mode and "an arena sized pit" becomes "mine out 90% of your jungle because the main hallow stripe ate it"

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

dis astranagant posted:

You lost me at the first step, if only because I mostly play expert mode and "an arena sized pit" becomes "mine out 90% of your jungle because the main hallow stripe ate it"

I built it right by my home base. You plant jungle grass, you get jungle, whether the natural biome is still around or not.

Kalas
Jul 27, 2007

Kanos posted:

Did anyone put a significant amount of time into that Terraria overhaul mod? It looked interesting but I was worried the new mechanics(such as no iframes and being dependent on dodge rolls) would fall apart horribly as the game progressed.

Briefly, I remember hating almost everything about it.

If you want a massive mod, try Thorium. It makes the game feel like content is doubled. Tons of new bosses, gear and even an entire new biome.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Kalas posted:

Briefly, I remember hating almost everything about it.

If you want a massive mod, try Thorium. It makes the game feel like content is doubled. Tons of new bosses, gear and even an entire new biome.

Thorium is pretty decent but it loves spamming you with small amounts of materials that make bad sidegrades to normal mode gear and take large amounts to do so.

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?

Qylvaran posted:

-Plant jungle grass.

That's a really cool idea. My worlds usually all became one giant changing farm, event farms leading to biome farms, all automated with traps. The Colin part is building the things, looting gets old.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Kanos posted:

The dodging and gun changes are cool as hell (but makes many of them less viable against bosses), every other feature (weapon durability, fires, etc) I turned off because they were obnoxious, buggy, or both.
It's cool rolling past zombies and blasting them in the face with a boomstick, or incinerating demon eyes with the souped-up space gun, not so much doing 1 damage a hit to the eye of cthulhu with those same guns.

dis astranagant posted:

Thorium is pretty decent but it loves spamming you with small amounts of materials that make bad sidegrades to normal mode gear and take large amounts to do so.
Yeah, did a modded run recently and this is why I didn't play Thorium again.
Still not quite as weird as GRealm, which has some really weird sidegrades (but gets points for some of the new NPC stuff).

I did a modded run recently and there's some I could recommend but it feels like the vast majority of content mods are bad because they add so much stuff that, by the time you discover it, will already be outclassed. Sidegrades that can't compete with more easily acquired vanilla content in the first place feel that much more pointless.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

On my first Thorium run I spent 2 nights farming materials for ice gear because I couldn't get it through my head that there are no gimmicks, it really is as lovely as it looks. I think I ended up with enough to make 3 weapons and the armor set and it was all worse than wood gear that I could have made in less than 30 seconds. Never again.

I'm also pretty much done with the gotta have a pre-EoC boss bit of brain damage infecting a lot of these mods. The placement means they're never interesting and any drops barely last the next night before getting vendored.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
The big problem with mods adding new armor sets and the like is that resource availability and progression is already pretty well balanced as it is, and there's not really any spots we can add new sub-tiers of armors without expanding the rest of the game out to fit. There's nothing to slot into in almost any spot.
I'd argue pre-EoC is the best spot for one, since I spend my longest stretch between bosses before I feel ready for the Eye, but none of the mods I've played have added a good enough buffer there that, you know, normal ore doesn't already fit.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

dis astranagant posted:

On my first Thorium run I spent 2 nights farming materials for ice gear because I couldn't get it through my head that there are no gimmicks, it really is as lovely as it looks. I think I ended up with enough to make 3 weapons and the armor set and it was all worse than wood gear that I could have made in less than 30 seconds. Never again.

I'm also pretty much done with the gotta have a pre-EoC boss bit of brain damage infecting a lot of these mods. The placement means they're never interesting and any drops barely last the next night before getting vendored.

I found the ice gear in Thorium to be pretty useful because I generally pick up the mats for a couple armor pieces and a weapon incidentally without going out of my way when doing early game grubbing/exploring if there's a convenient ice biome and it means that I'm good for EoC and probably EoW/BoC.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Vib Rib posted:

The big problem with mods adding new armor sets and the like is that resource availability and progression is already pretty well balanced as it is, and there's not really any spots we can add new sub-tiers of armors without expanding the rest of the game out to fit. There's nothing to slot into in almost any spot.
I'd argue pre-EoC is the best spot for one, since I spend my longest stretch between bosses before I feel ready for the Eye, but none of the mods I've played have added a good enough buffer there that, you know, normal ore doesn't already fit.

I usually do EoC around night 2 or 3 with a bow and frostburn arrows unless I'm trying something gimmicky. I used to overprepare for him but now it's more about getting my demon bow and getting on with it. The less digging I do the happier I am with a run.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 08:47 on Sep 1, 2017

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Which bow? Just the best you can manage, I suppose?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Vib Rib posted:

Which bow? Just the best you can manage, I suppose?

Yeah. With a bit of a runway cleared eye isn't going to do much hitting, anyway.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

Vib Rib posted:

The dodging and gun changes are cool as hell (but makes many of them less viable against bosses), every other feature (weapon durability, fires, etc) I turned off because they were obnoxious, buggy, or both.
It's cool rolling past zombies and blasting them in the face with a boomstick, or incinerating demon eyes with the souped-up space gun, not so much doing 1 damage a hit to the eye of cthulhu with those same guns.

Yeah, did a modded run recently and this is why I didn't play Thorium again.
Still not quite as weird as GRealm, which has some really weird sidegrades (but gets points for some of the new NPC stuff).

I did a modded run recently and there's some I could recommend but it feels like the vast majority of content mods are bad because they add so much stuff that, by the time you discover it, will already be outclassed. Sidegrades that can't compete with more easily acquired vanilla content in the first place feel that much more pointless.

I've been doing Thorium as a bard while a friend was just an ordinary mage, and honestly bard feels stronger than mage - a glacial piccolo (made with the ice biome shards, at that!) with a silver mouthpiece shoots fairly spammy homing waves that do a surprising amount of damage - enough to kill the bosses without issue as well as easily kill anything in the crimson, the aquatic depths, the jungle, and the underground desert. Make the ring that gives +4 damage to all symphonic weapons, then grab the +5 armor penetration sharktooth necklace and you can really do some serious damage with it.

Since the silver mouthpiece makes all wind instruments homing, you can also shoot them around corners to kill dangerous enemies, and when you get a Forest Ocarina from a jungle chest, which does even more damage, you can also right click to create a glyph that mirrors your shots - you can even create them through walls to kill things from safety.

Then, you can make the Sitar with fossils from the underground desert biome, which is an extremely rapid fire (more so than the wind instruments) bouncing projectile launcher that pierces enemies and pretty much murders massive groups, esp. blood moons/goblin invasions. Then you've got the tamborines, which are spammy throwing weapons that do symphonic damage but don't use enough inspiration to actually cost anything in a pinch.

Thorium is definitely not all weak sidegrades, though maybe Bard is just unusually strong. I started right next to an ice biome, so massacring a bunch of eskimo zombies for a suit of ice armor was a significantly better set of armor than plain old wood, especially since digging for Iron Ore was being really unfruitful (and I think it's still better than iron - the set bonus damage aura that sets enemies on frostfire is pretty convenient). I think a lot of it is just alternate progression path options instead of specifically being a 'new tier'.

Spirit mod i'm not really impressed with at all, it seems incredibly anemic.

How good is Cataclysm?

Wolpertinger fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Sep 1, 2017

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Wolpertinger posted:

I've been doing Thorium as a bard while a friend was just an ordinary mage, and honestly bard feels stronger than mage - a glacial piccolo (made with the ice biome shards, at that!) with a silver mouthpiece shoots fairly spammy homing waves that do a surprising amount of damage - enough to kill the bosses without issue as well as easily kill anything in the crimson, the aquatic depths, the jungle, and the underground desert. Make the ring that gives +4 damage to all symphonic weapons, then grab the +5 armor penetration sharktooth necklace and you can really do some serious damage with it.

Since the silver mouthpiece makes all wind instruments homing, you can also shoot them around corners to kill dangerous enemies, and when you get a Forest Ocarina from a jungle chest, which does even more damage, you can also right click to create a glyph that mirrors your shots - you can even create them through walls to kill things from safety.

Then, you can make the Sitar with fossils from the underground desert biome, which is an extremely rapid fire (more so than the wind instruments) bouncing projectile launcher that pierces enemies and pretty much murders massive groups, esp. blood moons/goblin invasions. Then you've got the tamborines, which are spammy throwing weapons that do symphonic damage but don't use enough inspiration to actually cost anything in a pinch.

Thorium is definitely not all weak sidegrades, though maybe Bard is just unusually strong. I started right next to an ice biome, so massacring a bunch of eskimo zombies for a suit of ice armor was a significantly better set of armor than plain old wood, especially since digging for Iron Ore was being really unfruitful (and I think it's still better than iron - the set bonus damage aura that sets enemies on frostfire is pretty convenient). I think a lot of it is just alternate progression path options instead of specifically being a 'new tier'.

Spirit mod i'm not really impressed with at all, it seems incredibly anemic.

How good is Cataclysm?

Thorium isn't all weak sidegrades, there's just way too many of them piled on the start of the game. They also might have been buffed in the year since I last played it.

idk what Cataclysm is. Do you mean Calamity? That one's not too bad. I think I might check out Revengeance mode soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011
Er, yeah, Calamity.