Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which country won WW1?
The United States
USA
America
View Results

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Paul MaudDib posted:

If you want the unlock you just kinda have to accept that you're gonna have to spend a night grinding kills with a lovely weapon, or pay Dice (not gonna happen).

I thought the "X kills with Y weapon in a round" challenges were worse because you have a hard time limit to get your 15 kills or 5 headshots or whatever, or you get to start over next round from scratch.

I'd hurry up and get the challenges that are locked to expansion maps sooner rather than later though, otherwise the grind is going to be even worse when you can't rely on hiding in the crowd of teammates to give you an overall edge. Good luck getting 15 Cei-Rigotti kills or w/e when it's 3v3.

Yeah gently caress paying Dice for the shortcut packs. The only reason I grabbed them for BF4 on PC was because they gave them away for free briefly. The "X kills with Y weapon in a round" challenges are definitely worse,

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

It's even worse because it's actually "score umpteen headshot *kills* with a gun that doesn't kill in a single headshot" and the game doesn't explicitly tell you that.

and these make me want to slam someone's head in a car door.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

afkmacro posted:

I had no problems playing operations this morning. The missions are drawing some people back in. They will all leave though for xcom2, destiny 2, and season3 of r6.
And the changed dva/mercy OW patch.

Lube Enthusiast
May 26, 2016

Ballroom Blitz got a frontlines mode added buuuut it uses the same control points as conquest so it plays out no different :dice:

At least the new frontlines Monte Grappa gets creative and has fights around the forrest trails and church so it feels different

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Weak people spend 10 dollars to gift titles about world leaders they dislike. The strong spend 10 dollars to gift titles telling everyone to play Deus Ex again
Shot down two planes in a single round with the huot of all guns last night. I just know once the dlc hits with the challenge that's shoot down two planes with a lmg it'll take forever for me to do now.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
I think it's a wonderful challenge. Not to earn, but rather because having your teammates try to earn it will hopefully ruin the fun of those assholes with 100 stars in the dogfighter.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

ponzicar posted:

I think it's a wonderful challenge. Not to earn, but rather because having your teammates try to earn it will hopefully ruin the fun of those assholes with 100 stars in the dogfighter.

Its also a great way to teach people that a couple LMG's can shoot down a plane.

Unrelated, :siren: In The Name Of The Tsar comes out Sept 5th for Premium Peeps :siren: (19th for everyone else).

EDIT: Also I just noticed I got my full summer dog tag and Italian stabb'n knife.

Snuffman fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Aug 30, 2017

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

can't wait to not be able to unlock the new guns because you need 500 kills with your video card disabled in 1 round or whatever

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
fuk ya

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Vehicles are just way too powerful in general. Assault is really the only class that can actually knock them out, the best the other classes can do is piss them off. Field guns get blowed up in the first 30 seconds of a round and take like a full minute of wrenching to repair, and you're easy sniper-bait while you're in a gun.

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Weak people spend 10 dollars to gift titles about world leaders they dislike. The strong spend 10 dollars to gift titles telling everyone to play Deus Ex again

ponzicar posted:

Yeah definitely I actually like the challenges because I get bored of using certain guns or playing a certain way all the time so switching up my playstyle and being rewarded for it is fun to me. I'm even starting to get an appreciation for the selb 1906 as I'm nearing the 300 kills for the sniper version.

Klisejo
Apr 13, 2006

Who else see da' Leprechaun say YEAH!

Lube Enthusiast posted:

Dlc guns needing assignments to unlock is fine when it's just reviving/capping points cause you can usually knock em out in one game + they encourage pubbies to be helpful.

It was forcing people to use the Auto 8 Factory that was over the line.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Klisejo posted:

Yeah a lot of these missions are "use this terrible gun for 50 kills". A BB gun that can barely kill in a magdump. Headshots kills with an inaccurate SMG that doesn't kill in one headshot. Great player engagement.

And again, a bunch of these are going to be impossible to complete once people move on from the expansion maps, which always happens. They already don't populate well except for maybe on weekends, I just ground them like 2 weeks ago and there's already a noticeable dropoff even on DM-friendly maps like Fort Vaux.

Balance can always change so it's good to grind them out while you can, but right now the Chauchat is the only one I'd say is a must-have. Both variants.

(Along with the Chauchat, I used to run a lot of M1909 Benet-Mercie Storm. I also actually really like the 1895 Trench for close-up levergun mayhem, and the Martini-Henry Infantry is pretty funny although I'm bad with it. Machina bodyshot sniper ahoy. :toot:)

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Aug 31, 2017

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

:munch:
The learning curve for :dice: and EA is longer than an entire game, better hope the same mistakes aren't repeated next game! I said, as broken vaulting/anti-cheat/planes continue to be broken, seven years and counting.

GokuGoesSSJ3 posted:

Yeah definitely I actually like the challenges because I get bored of using certain guns or playing a certain way all the time so switching up my playstyle and being rewarded for it is fun to me. I'm even starting to get an appreciation for the selb 1906 as I'm nearing the 300 kills for the sniper version.

if you can't muster the willpower to go out of your comfort zone and use a sub-par gun over the course of free-form play, that's on you. Do it because you must inexplicably service star everything or because you're a better player than a random, regardless what weapon they're using. Or don't. But don't force other people to use lovely guns when they paid for the content (and on a different note, got subsequently ripped off before the second DLC was released, unless they bought premium when it was 40% off). Assignments/achievement unlocks have never been done well in battlefield.

Delacroix fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Aug 31, 2017

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Delacroix posted:

The learning curve for :dice: and EA is longer than an entire game, better hope the same mistakes aren't repeated next game! I said, as broken vaulting/anti-cheat/planes continue to be broken, seven years and counting.

if you can't muster the willpower to go out of your comfort zone and use a sub-par gun over the course of free-form play, that's on you. Do it because you must inexplicably service star everything or because you're a better player than a random, regardless what weapon they're using. Or don't. But don't force other people to use lovely guns when they paid for the content (and on a different note, got subsequently ripped off before the second DLC was released, unless they bought premium when it was 40% off). Assignments/achievement unlocks have never been done well in battlefield.

I swear I am the only person on the internet who remembers this, it's pretty much gone down the memory hole, but EA actually had a downloader service around 2004 (perhaps also called "Origin"?) for the BF2 expansions Euro Force and Armored Fury. And naturally, a week after they launched nobody ever played them again. Eventually they closed the whole thing down and pushed the maps back into regular BF2 I think. At least the unlocks weren't restricted to being unlocked on expansion maps - in fact, it would actually backdate its (total score-based) unlocks so buying the expansion basically gave you an instant injection of 3-4 unlock picks, even stock.

The PKM was baller, I spent so much time pixel-sniping. The unlocks were often a pretty decent upgrade back then, and in fact were often necessary for non-US factions who get lovely AK-47 derivatives as default weapons. Oh, and of course the US chopper had a totally broken minigun that rained quasi-explosive shells while the other factions just had a regular LMG, which went un-nerfed for years. :911:

gently caress you, now I want to play BF2 again :smith:

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Aug 31, 2017

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
If the only map you want to play is Karkand, I got good news for you!

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Shima Honnou posted:

If the only map you want to play is Karkand, I got good news for you!

Yeah I know about Battlelog. But there's no way I can jump back in against sperglords who have been playing it nonstop for 15 years. I feel the same way about RO:Ostfront and CS1.6, they're great games but I'm just not going to get back into it.

Multiplayer games are fantastic because they're one of the few times that you're actually seriously challenged. Throw yourself at a tough boss or mission enough times and you will get through, but a human opponent reacts to you. But the downside is that when a multiplayer game loses popularity it's pretty much over, and past a certain critical mass it can fizzle quickly. 2v2 or something isn't much fun.

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

Klisejo posted:

They can go gently caress a tree for that one.

lambskin
Dec 27, 2009

I THINK I AM THE PINNACLE OF HUMOR. WAIT HANG ON I HAVE TO GO POUR MILK INTO MY GAPING ASSHOLE!

unlawfulsoup posted:

Can you get 15 kills in a round with the automatico? If so, then why not the autoloading 8?

Klisejo
Apr 13, 2006

Who else see da' Leprechaun say YEAH!

lambskin posted:

Can you get 15 kills in a round with the automatico? If so, then why not the autoloading 8?

Did you eat a steak? If so, then why can't you eat a poo poo sandwich?

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
sorry I don't like poo poo on my sandwiches

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

eonwe posted:

Nah man the poo poo isn't on the sandwich, the poo poo is the sandwich.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
how many operations in name of the tsar? just two or three?

lambskin
Dec 27, 2009

I THINK I AM THE PINNACLE OF HUMOR. WAIT HANG ON I HAVE TO GO POUR MILK INTO MY GAPING ASSHOLE!

Klisejo posted:

Git... gud?

lambskin
Dec 27, 2009

eonwe posted:

but what if you do?

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Paul MaudDib posted:

I swear I am the only person on the internet who remembers this, it's pretty much gone down the memory hole, but EA actually had a downloader service around 2004 (perhaps also called "Origin"?) for the BF2 expansions Euro Force and Armored Fury. And naturally, a week after they launched nobody ever played them again. Eventually they closed the whole thing down and pushed the maps back into regular BF2 I think. At least the unlocks weren't restricted to being unlocked on expansion maps - in fact, it would actually backdate its (total score-based) unlocks so buying the expansion basically gave you an instant injection of 3-4 unlock picks, even stock.

EA Downloader, and you had to use it to buy all 2005 DLC for EA games on the PC. I know this because I have Armored Fury and Euroforce on my Origin account. Also Pinnacle Station for Mass Effect and Spore DLC. :v:

The only DLC guns they added to BF2 were through the SpecOps DLC, but that had its own unique stupid aspects in that if you wanted to play those maps, you had to load a completely separate executable. There were less stuff to unlock, though, BF2 was the first game to introduce the idea of levelling through ranks and unlocking guns.

They did give everyone all the DLC for free eventually (maybe not SpecOps?), but Dice has done this with each BF game since. People just have short memories and they have always made the BF3 BF4 DLC limited time "freebies". Still can't forgive EA for stopping that 2142 Steam release at the last minute. :(

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

So wait, this "win 3 games of ops, frontlines, and rush each" mission isn't tracked in the mission tracker thing? Because... why? I don't know if that's :dice: stupid or just regular stupid.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

Gonkish posted:

So wait, this "win 3 games of ops, frontlines, and rush each" mission isn't tracked in the mission tracker thing? Because... why? I don't know if that's :dice: stupid or just regular stupid.

I think I only got 2 ops wins. Whenever my team lost the first map on Defense or lost a Battalion on Offense, half the team left.

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

:munch:

jisforjosh posted:

I think I only got 2 ops wins. Whenever my team lost the first map on Defense or lost a Battalion on Offense, half the team left.

To the surprise of no one. :cripes: This must be the third or fourth MP shooter I've played where the devs implemented a tracking or milestone system post-release and had to walk it back because some element encouraged statpadding. Except this is dice so changing it to be participation is not guaranteed.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
I liked this game franchise a lot more before they brought in the stats. We also had mods. Great times.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"
Since there is no tracker that I can see, when they say 3 full games of Rush...do they mean win as either Attacker/Defender or win as both sides? Any other games I'd say win as either but it's :dice: sooooo

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

I'm assuming it's win as either. Of course, DICE may prove me wrong yet.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

jisforjosh posted:

Since there is no tracker that I can see, when they say 3 full games of Rush...do they mean win as either Attacker/Defender or win as both sides? Any other games I'd say win as either but it's :dice: sooooo

Just win. You can sort of track it by counting rush win ribbons :v:

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Gonkish posted:

You can track it here: Soldier > Dog Tags > Back > Community

and they're like the 4 bottom dog tags.

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

You can track it here: Soldier > Dog Tags > Back > Community

and they're like the 4 bottom dog tags.

I don't think they're given out instantly though so not sure that actually works to track it.

When I was playing rush yesterday I didn't get the first win of the day scraps until I played one where I won both rounds, so probably assume you have to do that for it to count.

MadBimber
Dec 31, 2006

unlawfulsoup posted:

Klisejo posted:

lmao at these jokers who can't use lowest TTK gun in the game.

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

It's only the lowest ttk until you get stuck in a reload.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
I always found the M1907 Sweeper to be the best for short-range fighting and a Mondragon of your preference for everything else, with the Cei-Rigotti getting an honorable mention as an all-rounder. I haven't played with the Auto 8 Extended variant much, but the 5-round mag of the Auto 8 Factory was just too limiting for me.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

They should do a Secret Weapons of WW1 expansion and add lovely jetpacks again

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Fried Watermelon posted:

They should do a Secret Weapons of WW1 expansion and add lovely jetpacks again

Aren't most the weapons in BF1 already crazy experimental stuff that never saw the light of day, prototypes, or really small production runs?

:thejoke:

they should make 2143, with crazy laser rifles, jetpacks, cloaking devices, hovertanks and mechs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

Snuffman posted:

Aren't most the weapons in BF1 already crazy experimental stuff that never saw the light of day, prototypes, or really small production runs?

There were literally only like two Hellriegels ever and neither are known to have survived the testing phase. All we really know about them is the drum magazine wasn't actually attached to the gun so you probably couldn't move with the drum fed into it, but it could use small stick magazines not unlike an Automatico. Because all existing pictures of them are from the right side and no design documents exist we don't actually know what the gently caress the left side of the gun looked like.