Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Der Meister
May 12, 2001

The dodgers are a bad based ball team.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

It might have been 6 if Russell was healthy.

Looking forward to seeing the much hyped slider-curve thingy that Dillon Maples throws.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Der Meister posted:

The dodgers are a bad based ball team.
Do you run the SBNation Dbacks blog?

https://twitter.com/AZSnakepit/status/903355425239703553

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
https://twitter.com/JonHeyman/status/903356232446205952

:eyepop:

I have no goddamn clue what they'd have left in the farm to trade for him though.

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

achillesforever6 posted:

Here's NH statement
https://twitter.com/stephenjnesbitt/status/903337724853325824
:lol: gently caress offffffffffffffffffffff

LOL this makes no sense, if you're punting on 2017 why wouldn't you just trade him to the Cardinals or Cubs anyways and get someone back.

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Who threw this cat at me?
Clapping Larry

Rand alPaul posted:

LOL this makes no sense, if you're punting on 2017 why wouldn't you just trade him to the Cardinals or Cubs anyways and get someone back.

Pure spite.

(And incompetence)

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Rand alPaul posted:

"Considering how far back we are in the division, we figured such a good reliever on an expiring contract deserved to play for a competitive team. So we put him through the system that virtually guaranteed he wouldn't get to play for a competitive team, because we actually don't want to make our competitors better despite having just said we've given up. Also please pay no attention to the extra $600k behind the curtain that Nutting is furiously shoveling into his wallet, just coincidental."

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE

Abel Wingnut posted:

can someone explain how cashner is performing even remotely well? his peripherals are off the charts terrible

Magic, I'm pretty sure.

Sydin posted:

I have no goddamn clue what they'd have left in the farm to trade for him though.

I really hope another high profile player refuses to get traded to the Astros.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Brandon Phillips scratched from lineup, speculation of a trade but he's got no-trade and the Braves called it "personal reasons".

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Clapping Larry

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

Brandon Phillips scratched from lineup, speculation of a trade but he's got no-trade and the Braves called it "personal reasons".

Angels going after him.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Sydin posted:

I assume it'd be taking on the bulk of the contract at this point.

I don't want him, we already can't get Montgomery a stable spot in the rotation since apparently nobody wants to tell Lackey that he's terrible and is delegated to the pen

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

more from heyman:

Texas made clear to the Astros they were completely willing to trade Yu Darvish in-state and in-division despite rumors of rivalry/bad blood. But they never got close. The Rangers started by asking for Houston’s top guys, but eventually requested a package of good A-ball players. Houston, however, offered David Paulino, a former prospect currently on the suspended list. It’s probably nothing about bad blood, either; the Astros were only looking to make a deal their own way.

--

tucker, i get wanting to keep. but i'm curious if they held fisher back too. fisher for darvish is a drat good deal and i have to think they would've done that?

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Rand alPaul posted:

The GM says in that press release that the claiming team wouldn't offer a significant prospect though. Is it better to give away a player for nothing, or trade him to your hated division rival and get back some org filler non-prospect? IDK

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Abel Wingnut posted:

more from heyman:

Texas made clear to the Astros they were completely willing to trade Yu Darvish in-state and in-division despite rumors of rivalry/bad blood. But they never got close. The Rangers started by asking for Houston’s top guys, but eventually requested a package of good A-ball players. Houston, however, offered David Paulino, a former prospect currently on the suspended list. It’s probably nothing about bad blood, either; the Astros were only looking to make a deal their own way.

--

tucker, i get wanting to keep. but i'm curious if they held fisher back too. fisher for darvish is a drat good deal and i have to think they would've done that?

If this is true, I'm pretty irritated because Fisher for Darvish would have been a great trade. Fisher is solid, but he's not the OUTFIELDER OF THE FUTURE they proclaimed him to be and we need starters more than anything.

Also :laffo: at offering David loving Paulino, a guy who was merely mediocre before he had the PED albatross tossed in.

Big Mean Jerk fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Sep 1, 2017

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE

Abel Wingnut posted:

more from heyman:

--

Yeah this is not at all surprising. The Astros could have easily beat the Dodgers' offer without mortgaging the future. That said I'm pretty happy with the guys we ended up getting from LA.

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Where the big boys RAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGH FUCK YOU

Sydin posted:

I'm going to say the biggest piece would be "Willing to take on $78 million in salary for ages 35-37 of a 122 ERA+ pitcher that could quickly fall off a cliff"

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

I wouldn't give up squat for him. If the Cubs are going to spend that kind of money on a veteran pitcher going forward, just pay Arrieta who is 3 years younger.

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Niwrad posted:

I wouldn't give up squat for him. If the Cubs are going to spend that kind of money on a veteran pitcher going forward, just pay Arrieta who is 3 years younger.

Arrieta is going to cost a hell of a lot more than $28MM AAV at this rate

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Why are the Astros trading for 86 OPS+ outfielders

e: Also there's this

https://twitter.com/astros/status/903313070654496768

Intruder fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Sep 1, 2017

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I can see why the Astros wouldn't want to give up one of their only promising left handed bats for half a season of a guy who has trouble staying healthy and would have probably walked

If you could promise me a fully healthy Darvish who'd pitch less selfishly and more to contact, maybe then

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

CubsWoo posted:

Arrieta is going to cost a hell of a lot more than $28MM AAV at this rate
I find that hard to believe

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

bawfuls posted:

I find that hard to believe

Arguably hitting his stride again, he and Darvish are the only premier pitchers on the market (assuming Cueto stays with the Giants and keeps his $84MM) and is represented by Boras. While maybe not 'a hell of a lot' I can see 5/150 as an obvious target for Jake.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Rand alPaul posted:

Bob Nutting right now:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ON-7v4qnHP8

Also an article on why he is an enoromus rear end in a top hat
https://www.fanragsports.com/pirates/perrotto-pirates-players-fans-need-ownership/

quote:

Another example of the Pirates’ cheap ways came two weeks ago when they played the St. Louis Cardinals in the Little League Classic at Williamsport, Pa.

As the home team, the Pirates were in charge on handling in-game entertainment. Their entire scoreboard crew made the 390-mile round trip.

The Pirates would not spring for hotel rooms, instead making the crew endure a one-day trip.

It turned out to be a 21-hour work day. With no overtime. And box lunches.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

Intruder posted:

I can see why the Astros wouldn't want to give up one of their only promising left handed bats for half a season of a guy who has trouble staying healthy and would have probably walked

If you could promise me a fully healthy Darvish who'd pitch less selfishly and more to contact, maybe then

i mean, if you're luhnow at the end of july, and you're assessing your team's season, you have to think this season is your best chance, right? everything had lined up perfectly to that point. why not trade a prospect or two to maximize those chances even more? coddle darvish however you see fit, just make sure he's ready for october. i'd still consider moving tucker at that point, definitely fisher and low a guys.

if you're not going in now, then when?

abelwingnut fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Sep 1, 2017

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的
The Astros have already won the 2017 World Series so they don't have to make any moves

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Abel Wingnut posted:

i mean, if you're luhnow at the end of july, and you're assessing your team's season, you have to think this season is your best chance, right? everything had lined up perfectly to that point. why not trade a prospect or two to maximize those chances even more? coddle darvish however you see fit, just make sure he's ready for october. i'd still consider moving tucker at that point, definitely fisher and low a guys.

if you're not going in now, then when?

I'm not against making any moves and the idea of a potentially healthy Darvish is exciting, I just don't know that Darvish for a trade that included either Tucker or Fisher was the right one

They should have made a play for guys like Quintana and Gray before it was too late really

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Cubs broadcast says Brandon Philipps to LAA

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

2015 Cubs in August: 19-9
2016 Cubs in August: 22-6

Let's keep this train rollin'

2017 Cubs in August: 17-12

REGRESSION :argh:

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Intruder posted:

Why are the Astros trading for 86 OPS+ outfielders

e: Also there's this

https://twitter.com/astros/status/903313070654496768

Even in slow motion there's so much bat speed there. drat.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

That's cute but the Dodgers just lost five in a row so clearly they are the regression kings

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

bawfuls posted:

That's cute but the Dodgers just lost five in a row so clearly they are the regression kings

Even the Cubs' record of 58-27 in their past 3 Augusts combined is still a lower win percentage than what the Dodgers are currently at. :psyduck:

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Remember what happens if you lose five in a row in the playoffs

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Poque posted:

Remember what happens if you lose five in a row in the playoffs
thankfully that's not possible!

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Verlander likely staying put. Tigers want young talent + payroll shed and nobody's biting.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

bawfuls posted:

exactly

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

CubsWoo posted:

Verlander likely staying put. Tigers want young talent + payroll shed and nobody's biting.

And as I'm saying this he may be going to Houston but Verlander may veto

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Clapping Larry
I like both the moves the Angels made today.

I mentioned they are scheduled to get Meyer back soon so naturally they put him on the 60 day dl today.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

bawfuls posted:

Losing 5 in a row is just losing 4 in a row twice.

Or losing 3 in a row 3 times.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

bawfuls posted:

The Mariners are still regressing from 2001.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

https://twitter.com/cmccosky/status/903459201795715073

• Locked thread