Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...
I honestly can't even get excited to play Kiwami when I'm finally back with my PS4 because I know I'm just going to be thinking about how much I want Hokuto ga Gotoku the whole time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Highest Cactus
Jul 25, 2007

News: Mysterious illegal cookies seized. "Tastes terrible," says police.

Everyone is bitching about how much they hate Majima Everywhere, but I fought him like three times before he went into hiding 12 hours ago.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Watch out for a giant traffic cone

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
There is a bug card on a tree in Public Park 3. I must have it but the game won't let me.

Also, now I understand the frustration the bosses in 0 must have felt with a Majima with Hyper Armour wailing on them with a bat.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Is there anything special about the abilities that have golden circles around them in the skill trees?

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Jimbot posted:

Is there anything special about the abilities that have golden circles around them in the skill trees?

As far as I can tell it's just going 'hey, this is the end of a branch'.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Fat Samurai posted:

There is a bug card on a tree in Public Park 3. I must have it but the game won't let me.

Also, now I understand the frustration the bosses in 0 must have felt with a Majima with Hyper Armour wailing on them with a bat.

Get as close as possible and click the right stick to go to first person and look at it. If the crosshair doesn't snap to it you're not in the exact correct spot so move a little and try again

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
Yo the Yakuza team is making a new game:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tBrqfwUstto

E: Oh drat I'm late? Well enjoy the trailer anyway

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

I've got every 10-point skill available and Majima's at C, Kiryu's getting pretty buff again.

Maybe soon I will actually go to New Serena for the first plot point since returning to town.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
Sometimes the directional audio freaks out and then you're standing in a public restroom listening to a man getting pounded by punks.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
I think I used up all my rock paper scissors luck with the catfights in 0 cause I'm getting my rear end kicked in MesuKing

Highest Cactus
Jul 25, 2007

News: Mysterious illegal cookies seized. "Tastes terrible," says police.

tap my mountain posted:

I think I used up all my rock paper scissors luck with the catfights in 0 cause I'm getting my rear end kicked in MesuKing

Most of the time, they just go for whatever the strongest attack is. You can spam whatever beats that and come out ahead over half the time. So far, all of the opponents heavily favor a single attack, and their deck doesn't seem to change when you challenge them again. I'm up to the Serious Professor fight, but now I have to hunt down some more cards before he'll let me fight him.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Stelas posted:

I've got every 10-point skill available and Majima's at C, Kiryu's getting pretty buff again.

Maybe soon I will actually go to New Serena for the first plot point since returning to town.

Same.

Is there any DLC planned like Yakuza 0's weekly packs?

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

exploded mummy posted:

Same.

Is there any DLC planned like Yakuza 0's weekly packs?

Presumably yes, since Bob utsunomiya still has the option for picking up items from him.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Wait. Yakuza Zero had weekly DLC? For how long?

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

It never went away, it was just free items and cosmetic stuff that came out every week or so for about a month. If you ever picked up the free items from Bob Utsunomiya, then you got the DLC stuff.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

Hey I picked up Kiwami have a question about the combat system. I started on hard because I figure being a fighting game guy this shouldn't be too bad but I have no idea how to stop enemies from dodging. I block a whole string, go to attack and it seems they can freely dodge everything? Hits, grabs, doesn't seem to matter its mostly a get out of jail free card.

What exactly am I not understanding about this?

*edit*

Currently I am fighting the guy in front of the funeral entrance for example, no matter how big the windup or recovery on his move he can dodge after I either block or dodge out of the way from my hit and throw attempts. Its a bit flustering cause I have no idea how to stop him from doing it.

Evil Canadian fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Sep 1, 2017

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Evil Canadian posted:

Hey I picked up Kiwami have a question about the combat system. I started on hard because I figure being a fighting game guy this shouldn't be too bad but I have no idea how to stop enemies from dodging. I block a whole string, go to attack and it seems they can freely dodge everything? Hits, grabs, doesn't seem to matter its mostly a get out of jail free card.

*edit*

Currently I am fighting the guy in front of the funeral entrance for example, no matter how big the windup or recovery on his move he can dodge after I either block or dodge out of the way from my hit and throw attempts. Its a bit flustering cause I have no idea how to stop him from doing it.

Step 1 to bosses in the Yakuza series: buy a ton of healing items (preferably Stamninam because it give heat and health)

Step 2 and for Yakuza 1 is to invest you first 7ish skill points is to obtain the Rush Kiwanis skill from techniques

Shimano is a bit of a bitch and a wall to fight in the game, because you're just not going to have enough skills to mitigate stuff.

Your 2 best style matches are either Rush, where it can be easy to peg him but the attacks deal less damage or Beast where he'll probably dodge a ton but it deals more. I prefer Rush because itfs easi werr to dodge especially against one enemy.

In all honesty you probably should just try to time the attacks when he goes into a stagger and dodge otherwise. Whenever he hits the end of a health bar he'll try to recharge, which is when you use the Rush Kiwami to interrupt.

Shimano also is a boss which means he is heavily throw resistant, so you probably shouldn't try it.

If you take your time and interrupt his regen, it'll probably go smooth. Just mix up the Rush combat and try to end with a kick to break his guard.

Ceramics
May 26, 2014

Kiwami on normal seems way tougher then 0 was on hard, at least so far.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

The xp system is cool in this. I love beating a boss and getting like 20 levels dinging into my meter

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
Is Brawler the only stance with a throw break?

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Is the shimano fight at the end of the funeral sequence the one people are talking about? Because I thought it was pretty easy, and I didn't feel like it took that long either. I don't know, I think Kiwami is pretty cool so far!

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I didn't know this game would have funeral espionage action.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

Is the shimano fight at the end of the funeral sequence the one people are talking about? Because I thought it was pretty easy, and I didn't feel like it took that long either. I don't know, I think Kiwami is pretty cool so far!

I beat him now but it took a long time. Maybe cause I am playing on hard but took forever to whittle him down rush punches do like 0.01% damage each hit.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

I just beat that dude today. I'm glad to have the world open up for exploration! More side stories! More pocket racing!

Copper For Lyfe
Jun 1, 2011
I'm kinda stuck on majima anywhere if anyone can help me out.

I got the message from his subordinate about The girl at the SHINE club he wants to get fired but any time I go there I just get the standard hostess minigame with the chick thats always there.

I'm pretty sure I had a phone call or something about majima hiding in plain sight which i guess is the giant traffic cone someone mentioned earlier, but I've run all around the city for hours and not run into majima since he posed as a cop at millenium tower.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Copper For Lyfe posted:

I got the message from his subordinate about The girl at the SHINE club he wants to get fired but any time I go there I just get the standard hostess minigame with the chick thats always there.

I'm pretty sure I had a phone call or something about majima hiding in plain sight which i guess is the giant traffic cone someone mentioned earlier, but I've run all around the city for hours and not run into majima since he posed as a cop at millenium tower.

He won't appear at the spot in your first paragraph until you complete the spot in your second paragraph. Check the giant cone that's on the main boulevard south of Millenium Tower, just south of a parked car. It'll bobble back and forth.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Don't play Yakuza games on hard unless your other hobbies include pounding nails through your cock.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Conversely, do play them on EX-Hard when you've got New Game Plus and are just laying waste to the entire game with the Golden Gun.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Can you miss substories in Kiwami, or can you just do them at your own pace?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Oh Snapple! posted:

Kiwami, being an older game, has a lot more substories dependent on what time of day it is and whether Haruka is with you or not. So there are times you'll be able to "miss" something, I believe, if you can't trigger the right conditions.

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

Evil Canadian posted:

*edit*

Yeah, I just got through that fight. I'm not really a fan of Yakuza boss fights because they're typically just sponges with bullshit moves, but this one was pretty tedious

He kept grabbing me over and over and knocking me on the ground so for 50% of the fight I'm just mashing x

FutureFriend
Dec 28, 2011

ah drat, apparently kiwami 2 is only getting made because of how well 0 and kiwami sold outside of japan. so chances are super high that the series is basicly gonna be safe to be ported to the west for a while.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Great, so give us Ishin already :mad:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Oh Snapple! posted:

precision posted:

Kiwami, being an older game, has a lot more substories dependent on what time of day it is and whether Haruka is with you or not. So there are times you'll be able to "miss" something, I believe, if you can't trigger the right conditions.

As far as I'm aware, while it's possible to miss some during the main game because of this, all conditions and quests are available in Premium Adventure after you finish the game.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

precision posted:

Great, so give us Ishin already :mad:

but people outside of japan won't be able to appreciate the hist;asdfoiaf;afn

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

FutureFriend posted:

ah drat, apparently kiwami 2 is only getting made because of how well 0 and kiwami sold outside of japan. so chances are super high that the series is basicly gonna be safe to be ported to the west for a while.

This is great news, but also, to help those odds you can fill in the Kiwami purchaser survey (which you can do even if you haven't bought Kiwami, you lying unsupportive scumbag): https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLScaE21WJ-iKMNaV1HN9KFqP2xToutQQgfoCW5lsAoxsmGcWjw/viewform

Pegnose Pete
Apr 27, 2005

the future

RandallODim posted:

This is great news, but also, to help those odds you can fill in the Kiwami purchaser survey (which you can do even if you haven't bought Kiwami, you lying unsupportive scumbag): https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLScaE21WJ-iKMNaV1HN9KFqP2xToutQQgfoCW5lsAoxsmGcWjw/viewform

Done!

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

RandallODim posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

RandallODim posted:

The last page of that survey is great