Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

lol daz

But yeah apparently Verlander vetoed

So the Astros had Britton but it was killed at the zero hour, then they had Verlander but he refused to be traded. Fun trade season

Intruder fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Sep 1, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Where the big boys RAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGH FUCK YOU
Rumors are saying that Verlander will only waive no-trade to the Cubs but Cubs feel the asking price is way too high. About 20 minutes to make a deal

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
JV made the right call. Houston is a garbage city with no zoning laws. Cubs or nothing.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Also two years ago the Astros had a deal in place for Hamels who also wouldn't waive his no trade

Comptroll The Forums
Apr 25, 2007

DON'T HURT MY FEE FEES!

On the one hand, this would have been a pure payroll dump and high probability that none of those guys would have panned out. On the other hand, Tigers just can't do anything to improve, wake me when 2022 gets here.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

CubsWoo posted:

Rumors are saying that Verlander will only waive no-trade to the Cubs but Cubs feel the asking price is way too high. About 20 minutes to make a deal
He'd also go to LA but it is not clear he'd be one of the four best starters on the Dodgers so the urgency to acquire him isn't really there.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Man remember when Daz was a huge coup for the Astros

Now the only thing that makes me say he isn't 100% bust is he's still only 20

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

bawfuls posted:

He'd also go to LA but it is not clear he'd be one of the four best starters on the Dodgers so the urgency to acquire him isn't really there.

Right. I didn't include LA because I wasn't aware the Dodgers had any interest.

This probably lines up for Verlander to the Cubs in the offseason for much less

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

After turning the Astros lineup into a steaming pile of turds in the last series between the two teams Verlander was probably like "Nah can't win with them"

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

The plot thickens

https://twitter.com/sutherlandben15/status/903465832214257664

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

bawfuls posted:

this is dumb, don't be that guy

Chafin wasn't trying to pitch inside and let one get away. It wasn't a breaking pitch that broke too hard. He threw that pitch with malice directly at the best place to hit Bellinger. Looks to me like he even threw a teeny tiny bit behind him, in case he instinctively tried to back away from the plate.

That pitch was never going anywhere but into Bellinger's body, and during the followthrough and after, Chafin stared directly at him the whole time, until it became obvious Bellinger wasn't going to do anything except jog to first base.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
I don't want verlander

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Poque posted:

I don't want verlander

Good news

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Poque posted:

I don't want verlander

On the other hand, gently caress John Lackey(even though he's actually been decent)?

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

BIG DEADLINE NEWS

https://twitter.com/ESPNChiCubs/status/903467862483808256

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Return for Phillips and I'm too tired to look up the image but Cash Considerations is a catcher named Tony Sanchez.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Weird, I figured they'd go after a backup SS considering Russell's recent setback in his recovery.

At least they didn't blow what's left of the farm on Verlander.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

Return for Phillips and I'm too tired to look up the image but Cash Considerations is a catcher named Tony Sanchez.
I remember when he was an actual prospect in the Pirates org about 7 years ago. Now he's AAA filler.

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE

Intruder posted:

Also two years ago the Astros had a deal in place for Hamels who also wouldn't waive his no trade

I really am wondering if players have developed a bad reputation for the Astros front office.

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Sydin posted:

Weird, I figured they'd go after a backup SS considering Russell's recent setback in his recovery.

At least they didn't blow what's left of the farm on Verlander.

They picked up Mike Freeman a month ago and he's been raking in AAA, seems like the perfect AAAA September callup to fill space for the duration

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/258208796839657472

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE
Also I really like the Miguel Gonzalez deal for us. It cost us next to nothing (seriously Forbes is a terrible prospect) and he's a pretty clear upgrade over Nick Martinez and AJ Griffin.

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Meanwhile

https://twitter.com/JonHeyman/status/903472241135894528

https://twitter.com/JonHeyman/status/903472541993320450

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

KIM JONG TRILL posted:

I really am wondering if players have developed a bad reputation for the Astros front office.

Turns out openly referring to players as commodities and bottoming out payroll for 5 years while dumping anyone who makes any money at all doesn't endear yourself to players? :shrug:

Also the way they played games with Springer and Correa re: service time (again, far more openly than other teams since everyone does it)

Senf
Nov 12, 2006

What the gently caress just happened :lol:

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Paperwork submitted at 11:59

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Senf posted:

What the gently caress just happened :lol:

I just got the At Bat notification, so I guess it's happening? :shrug:

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

lol what

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

https://twitter.com/JonHeyman/status/903472943006588932

Ehhhhhhhhhhhhh

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE

KIM JONG TRILL posted:

Or not

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

boooooooo

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE
I wonder if they guaranteed his option

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

If you just got traded to Houston at this moment in time where are you supposed to live

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

:dadjoke:

Der Meister
May 12, 2001

Lol

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

If you just got traded to Houston at this moment in time where are you supposed to live

Some buildings in Houston and the surrounding area, I have heard, are tall and have available electricity

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

So the Astros snag the worst big name reliever and the worst big name starter to swap teams this trade season :toot:

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

CubsWoo posted:

Some buildings in Houston and the surrounding area, I have heard, are tall and have available electricity

I am at this very moment shitposting with both power and internet from Houston

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
Really disappointed the Tigers trade Justin Verlander, one of our greatest ever pitchers, to a toxic libertarian hellscape of a city.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Intruder posted:

So the Astros snag the worst big name reliever and the worst big name starter to swap teams this trade season :toot:

Verlander is really good though?

• Locked thread