Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,
And rise the M.C. Etrigan!

What is HeroClix?
HeroClix is a licensed collectible miniatures game of superhero combat. It technically has three main "universes," which are Marvel, DC, and Indy. Indy is basically a catchall for anything that isn't owned by the Big Two, such as characters like Hellboy, Witchblade, and Danger Girl. Indy hasn't had a release of any kind since 2007 with the Hellboy and the B.P.R.D. Action Pack, so while it exists in the game on paper no modern releases fall under it. There's also a sort of a sort of scattered "other" universe, with Street Fighter, Star Trek, Lord of the Rings, and other miscellaneous licensed material. The universes are all playable with each other because it's all one unified game system, so yes, you can play Superman, Wolverine, and Hellboy all on the same team. Now you can even throw in Master Chief, Gandalf, M. Bison, the starship Enterprise, Gipsy Danger, Dark Magician, Shredder, and Ric Flair! It was produced by Wizkids Games, which Hasbro bought, ran for a few years, then abruptly shut down in late 2008 despite HeroClix being a cash cow. NECA bought WizKids and its assets and brought the game back with the Hammer of Thor release, which came out in November 2009 to much fanfare of HeroClix players.

Over the years it's evolved from being pretty simple— with the philosophy that everything you need to know about the figure is on its base and dial, coupled with the rulebook and Powers & Abilities Card (PAC)— to being pretty complex to being… “simpler” may be a bit strong, but “less complex” is a fair statement. The Mutant Mayhem set (released in 2004) introduced Feats and Battlefield Conditions, which give figures special abilities (or change the way their existing abilities work) or change how the game works for everybody, respectively. They don't make Feats or BFCs anymore. The Fantastic Forces set (2005) also added giants (tall characters who can punch two squares away; they technically debuted in Mutant Mayhem with Giant-Man as a chase), double-based figures (who take up two squares instead of one), and transporters (who can carry other figures even if they wouldn't otherwise be able to). Duo figures came later (representing a close team, like Hawk & Dove, Batman & Robin, or Cap & Bucky) as did vehicles and team bases which all come with their own special sets of rules via combat abilities granted by the combat symbols that make them special. The new rules have abandoned duos, team bases, and transporters to the past.

As of the release of the Avengers set and Legion of Super-Heroes starter (late summer of 2007), figures now have character cards, which have enabled special powers and "keywords," around which players can build teams that are themed around something about the characters they're using. This could be as readily-identifiable (a "Named" keyword) as the character's team affiliation(s) or background such as Avengers or Kryptonian, or it could be something simpler and more broad (a "Generic" keyword), like "Scientist," "Politician," or "Ruler." The 2014 rulebook (which is the last to include rules for Golden Age-only elements like feats or relics, so get it before they take it down) has a list of the Generic keywords while the current rulebook just says they're italicized, which wasn't always the case.

It bears mentioning that you absolutely need the current rules, especially a copy of the Powers and Abilities Card. I keep seeing people using old PACs so they know which powers are which and using an old one is fine for at least that. However, in the 2013 rules they added pink powers which won't be on PACs from before that, plus the wording on existing powers isn't current. I repeat, DO NOT use an old Powers and Abilities Card for rules reference. The link below lets you download it for free. Print that off and use it if you can’t get a starter. They changed a LOT of things in both the 2017 rulebook and PAC and then again in 2021, attempting to simplify many powers and the core rules so that everything's more balanced and makes more intuitive sense. A lot of the reason for this was that the HeroClix rules had bloated over the years to the point where the game had become so complex that it was beginning to collapse under its own weight, having become almost unteachable.

What do I need? :10bux:
Obviously, you need the figures. To be more helpful, like in pretty much any other miniatures game you build to a certain point total, the default of which is 300 in organized tournaments (discussed below). The best way to just be able to learn how to play the game is to get some figures and assemble them into a couple teams of equal point value. This will be easiest if you get a starter if you can find one. Starters these days come in the form of Battlegrounds sets, which have simplified dials intended to teach the game. The Battlegrounds: Wonder Woman 80th Anniversary set includes more basic rules that read like more of a quick-start and really don’t define enough of the game to play outside of it, but you should get the basic feel of things from it. No previous Battlegrounds set or starter contains a current version of the rules.

Other than starters, figures come mainly in Fast Forces packs (that until one point also contained maps and dice but no rules) and either 5-figure boosters or single-figure packs from a type of display known as either "gravity feed" (GF) or "countertop display" (CTD), which. Both are essentially the same thing, just with a slightly different method of physical delivery of the single boosters. Some sets only came as a CTD. They used to make some CTDs as "primer displays" for a set that came out two weeks ahead of the main set. Primers were a sort of sub-set with collector's numbers within the main set of 201-210, using the same sculpts but different stats. The last CTD was the Black Widow Movie set from May 2020. You really don’t see CTD sets anymore, but might see them in a game store as (hopefully well-discounted) back stock. WWE Wave 1 (to date the only wave with Wave 2 allegedly coming at some point) figures came in single, non-blind boxes as well as a full starter with PAC— including additional new powers that relied on circular stat slot backgrounds instead of square— and the Single Universe Core Rulebook, but that rulebook was intended for single-universe (read: WWE-only) play and said to use the regular rules for “multiverse” (read: using them with anything else) play. You do need those documents, though, if you use WWE figures in regular HeroClix, which they are compatible with.

Buying a starter will give you the most recent rulebook and Powers & Abilities Card— a.k.a. the PAC— which explains what all the little colored boxes mean depending which slot they're in. Note: The most recent non-Battlegrounds starters are Justice League Unlimited and Fantastic Four: Cosmic Clash. You'll also get maps, which are necessary for playing the game. Having the most recent rules is important because they can evolve pretty sharply in particular aspects between revisions. There’s also the fact that starters tend to sell out really quickly and they don’t keep them evergreen like they did prior to, say, 2011.

With a starter, you also get a double-sided map (you need these to play), dice, terrain markers (specifically Smoke, Barrier, Water, and Special markers), object tokens, and you used to get a ring for turning the bases, which except for the first couple Marvel as well as all the NECA-era (except for the LoSH starter and Avengers) sets turn by little ridges on the bottom of the base, though some turn by holding the figure and rotating the dial with an outer ring on the base (the "cup-style" base). Some figures from sets with the bottom-turning bases have cup bases with colors other than black, but this is because of the now-defunct Archenemy mechanic. As of the Superman set in 2011 they moved to the far-superior "Oreo-style" bases, where you hold the top half of the base and turn the bottom. Protip: don't hold the figure itself and turn the dial or you could break the figure. Some of them are kind of fragile.

Gods above and below, more rules crap?
Yep. HeroClix is a fun but it can be a very complicated game, or at least it could in the past. The 2017 rules attempted to diminish this significantly, with the 2021 rules paring the complexity down even further.
You can get the Core Rulebook, the PAC, and Comprehensive Tournament Rules on the Wizkids rules page. Additionally— and this is important if you're going to play super old figures— you can get the document that gives keywords to the figures predating character cards here. See the second post of this thread for links to errata documents that bring old game elements into line with the new rules language.

The "Rules Deputies" (now referred to as the Rules Team) used to post on HCRealms but now post on a single account (which sometimes contradicts itself as a result, but this seems to have gotten much better) on the new WizKids Rules Forums, where they now put all the errata and clarifications. However, existing HCRealms forum rulings stand unless later contradicted, which many, many of them have been. The problem is that they’ll make stealth edits to existing rulings without bumping the threads announcing that the ruling changed, plus they prune threads in what to a sane, rational mind should be a permanent archive.

The Watch List is something they've implemented to try to fix absurdly broken game elements, like the thrice-damned Pym Pocket Tank that just about made me quit playing entirely all on its own. It's essentially a list of elements they've noticed make a disproportionate impact on the competitive scene and require inclusion in pretty much any serious competitive team because they're kind of game-breaking, or at least perceived as such. For example, the Utility Belt resource was originally pretty broken because you could use its Prep Time special power to put it on any of its clicks with a +2 to all combat values and set up a serious alpha strike with it, possibly even keeping the belt on that same click given the right game effects. They've since fixed both aspects of that brokenness, the latter with an erratum by saying that you couldn't turn it onto any click with a power showing, striking the word "special" from the rules text of Prep Time. That's an example of what the Watch List can do. They only update the Watch List a couple times a year, usually announcing the results around a month or two later. Note that just because something gets put on the Watch List that doesn't mean they'll do something about it. They may either decide a game element placed on it doesn’t need any action or forget to do anything about it at all, saving it for next time instead of revising or supplementing the announcement.

Where do I play?
You can, of course, play at home. However, that might be a bit of a challenge. Check with your local game or comic book store (basically, wherever you buy the figures, assuming you do so at retail) to see if they hold Organized Play (OP) tournaments. Wizkids has set up an event system to help you find local venues at https://www.wizkidseventsystem.com. One of the best ways to learn the game is to get your rear end kicked over and over again. This teaches you tactics, though you should make sure you at least know the basics— turn sequence, line of fire, how powers and team abilities work and interact, etc. Tournaments will allow you to both learn the finer points of the game and find people to play and trade with.

The foregoing, of course, applied before COVID hit and nobody’s quite sure when events will get back up and running. Meanwhile, we’ve been running private tournaments in this very thread, using Roll20 to play. In these tournaments we consider all figures legal but restrict elements other than maps and figures to Modern Age-legal only to prevent weird rules interactions.

If you want to play at home for prizes you can order Play-At-Home Kits, which run :10bux: for a double-sided map and an OP Kit (a.k.a. LE) figure.

What's coming up?
Most recently we've had the Wonder Woman 80th Anniversary set release the 2021 rules, which at first were horribly incomplete because they were only the Battlegrounds: Wonder Woman 80th Anniversary rulebook but then they released the 2021 Comprehensive Rulebook and the 2021 PAC. Yes, the Comprehensive Rulebook is a bullet-point Word document, but honestly, I’d personally say it’s the most readable the rulebook’s ever been. It’ll be easier to update and definitely easier to cite.

quote:

Current
• Wonder Woman 80th Anniversary
June 2021
• X-Men: Rise and Fall
September 2021
• WWE Wave 2 [ed. Note: Squirrely Dan saying “Allegedly!” should be a smilie.]
• Avengers & Fantastic Four: Empyre

So why this thread?
There are a good number of HeroClix-playing goons here in BSS, so this is a thread for us to discuss the game. Join in! Morand is a sufficiently excellent player that he’s :siren:A TWO-TIME (2011 and 2013) WORLD CHAMPION:siren:, which won him the ability to make Chaos War Mr. Sinister and GotG Shriek. CapnAndy plays against Morand regularly, or at least did when in-person games were possible. Torrent gets to help with judging at Worlds and serves as the usual source for release dates. I'm the one who always starts these threads. Steve Vader’s name calls back to a great show and he loves Bi-Beast enough that I think he’d have taken Bi-Beast to the prom, but I love Fight-Man so I’m not judging. I was my local venue's official Rules Lawyer because A) I'm an actual lawyer (albeit what I call a “recovering lawyer”) and B) I'm a rules wonk to a probably-unhealthy degree, or at least was when I still collected. Come and join us!

One thing I should point out: this game is not like Magic: the Gathering. Sure, there are some team builds that work very well, but the game is played at varying point levels and in either Modern Age (the equivalent of what Magic would call "Standard", where sets past a certain point are retired and there are no bystander tokens, special object tokens, feats, or battlefield conditions allowed) or Golden Age, where anything goes except the ships of Star Trek: Tactics (for some reason). While there's certainly a metagame for WK-run tournaments and Realms Open Championship (ROC), there really is no standard killer build. It all depends on what your venue plays in a given week, plus the release schedule means the metagame can change significantly every few months. If all they do is 300 Modern, though, expect some power player to roll in with a team of little besides chases, primes, and convention exclusive (ConEx) figures. I tell you first-hand that running organized play like this can kill a venue because it killed two venues where I live due to a Worlds-class player who couldn't turn himself down to not crush everyone besides the guy who trained him.

Also, the Units section of HCRealms lets you search characters and build teams. It's quite useful, though the forums there can often be a shrieking den of high idiocy.

As some notes on play etiquette, first, please mark your characters with their action tokens on the map instead of on their cards. First, the rulebook says you're supposed to. Second, when you mark on cards but your opponent is looking at the figures and not the cards (I know the cards don't figure into my battlefield strategy) it's a bit misleading. Maybe it's just me, but marking on the map is just proper. Our venue had about 5 or 6 people who all started playing during Fear Itself who do this and it drove me up the wall.

ManiacClown fucked around with this message at 12:42 on May 12, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,

This post is for supplemental information.

Here are useful links. Really important stuff is marked with :spidey:

These are errata to bring older elements into the 2017 rules language, which is when a lot of phrasing changed. They should more or less apply to the 2021 language as well.

ManiacClown fucked around with this message at 03:40 on May 12, 2021

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.
It must be from a retailer-only link, but there IS another TMNT set coming:

quote:

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles HeroClix: Unplugged features fan favorite characters in never-before-seen ways, including Leonardo, Michaelangelo, Donatello, Raphael, and TMNT villains like Shredder! As always, there will be can't miss UnClixed characters like General Traag and Lieutenant Granitor.

The TMNT HeroClix: Unplugged Gravity Feed features more than 30 characters from the rich history of the Turtles franchise, based on comics, the TV series, and more!

With an impulse-friendly price point, single figure foil packs are a great purchase for new and established players alike!

Edit: And there's a Thor: Ragnarok movie set coming, and X-Men: First Class.

https://icv2.com/articles/news/view/37928/x-men-first-class-registers-marvel-heroclix

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

1: Start New Game
2: Start New Game
3: Start New Game

:aaa:
Now is an interesting time to get into the game. The rules changes are going to massively shake things up

tragedyjones
Oct 26, 2010
Star Trek original series full 5 figure booster set is in November.

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,

Thanks for the assistance on upcoming product. In case nobody noticed in the second post, they released the documents yesterday setting for the errata to existing Modern Age game elements to make them work with the new rules. Everything's up on the Rules page under Additional Rules Resources..

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

ManiacClown posted:

Thanks for the assistance on upcoming product. In case nobody noticed in the second post, they released the documents yesterday setting for the errata to existing Modern Age game elements to make them work with the new rules. Everything's up on the Rules page under Additional Rules Resources..
They missed TMNT2 FF Donatello, but judging from Sandman, it seems like everyone who got "counter a power" effects now just get a use of Outwit, which means they can't sneak around protected: outwit like they used to.

Sanschel
Aug 9, 2002

I'm sad all the Mercs for Money with a minimum 1 regen didn't get something more special than regular regen. Sunday is my first game judging with the new rules and I've barely had the free time to study them so that's gonna be a fun experience.

Torrent
Apr 18, 2003
" . . . "

Sanschel posted:

Sunday is my first game judging with the new rules and I've barely had the free time to study them so that's gonna be a fun experience.

It's a challenge. Just bring the PAC and rulebook, and don't assume that you know the answer to anything, as the oddest things have changed. I made so many incorrect assumptions during our sealed, last night...

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,

We're not even doing a regular game tomorrow night. We've instead blocked it off as a rules clinic. We're going over all the changes, like the DDM going away and the fact that you can now use both a resource and special objects (a mistake, if you ask me) along with all the other things that would go unnoticed on a casual glance.

Torrent
Apr 18, 2003
" . . . "
I've got a question for CapnAndy, and anyone else who likes to play in the casual side events at conventions:

What would you think if we limited the builds for those to commons, uncommons, and rares? The idea for the side events is to provide a fun alternative to the high-meta environment of World's, but we still get people bringing heavy cheese. Would such a limitation impact your desire to play in those events?

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

I don't think heavy cheese is limited to SRs and above.

Also, I'm not a huge fan of limiting builds based on rarity, as there are a lot of characters needed to fill out teams that only have one SR representation.

Sanschel
Aug 9, 2002

Torrent posted:

It's a challenge. Just bring the PAC and rulebook, and don't assume that you know the answer to anything, as the oddest things have changed. I made so many incorrect assumptions during our sealed, last night...

I made a comment on HCRealms about giant reach targeting a square, because why would they change that? Turns out it now targets a character but also grants you improved targeting: ignores hindering terrain. That becomes even weirder when you realize Earthbound now doesn't change your size or limit your combat abilities, but it does block you from using improved targeting/movement of any kind, so a giant with earthbound is a giant who gets bogged down in terrain and can't punch people unless he can see them. Weirdly, Earthbound very specifically prevents the use of Willpower, so any figure with both on the same click can't use their willpower (like the 25 point AOU jewel). There's just lost of weird things like that everywhere that I read and don't even catch until it's pointed out.

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

Bad times at sealed for me today. I thought I had a decent team of

Thorbuster
Common Hulk
Banner Spider Man
Iron Rocket Man

But round 1 I went against another thorbuster and tyrannus and he just spammed tokens to the point where it was impossible for me to move anywhere and anytime I did base him with Hulk I'd get MC'd away. Most frustrating game I've had in a long while.

Round 2 I beat an avengers squad of captain America the two common hulks (Jen and Bruce) and Thorbuster by getting first shot on his thorbuster.

Round 3 barely lost to a team with 2 eternals because I crit missed off thorbusters top click and could not hit a 16.

I haven't had a day like that in a long while.

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

I might've had a chance to win if I didn't crit miss off of Running Shot with the Thena I played.

But I did get to full-damage quake 5 dudes (including Tyrannus pogs) with Thunderball, so that was fun.

tragedyjones
Oct 26, 2010
I won already because I pulled Chase Loki in my sealed, but my team of her, Destroyer, and generic Valkyrie only went 2-1. Round one, I managed to take out Thor Odinson and SR Hulk and a Rock Troll because I was able to feed both the others to the Destroyer. Round 2, I faced Maestro, UC Masterson Thor, Warrior Soul and a Rock Troll. Luckily for me it was a bad player and Maestro is susceptible to Penetrating Damage. Round 3, I however was unable to overcome the sheer amount of attacks made by a team of Captain America, Jane Thor, Fandral, Zarkko and a Stone Man.

Sanschel
Aug 9, 2002

We did sealed today, I spent most of it running between games with the rule book and PAC answering questions. The 3-0 was Thunderstrike & Uni-Mind w/Thena, second place was Thor Odinson title character with Zarko and two other Thors. They both scored more points than third place by 300, it wasn't even a contest, and were the only two to pull SRs from their boosters. With just one Perplex and getting the option of Running Shot or Psy Blast Uni-Mind dismantled entire teams while Thunderstrike provided tie up but missed way too often. Odinson was just ridiculous in his damage output but only lost because he probbed a crit miss into a crit miss and then rolled a crit miss for the followup. The teleport and heal an Asgardian was hilarious though and getting Masterson Thor out of the fray and back to Charge/Exploit let him KO way more figures than that piece had any right to for how much damage he took every game.

I grabbed two of the remaining boosters and got Uni-Mind and Enchantress, which I'm happy for but are doubles. Maybe if I add EW Chase Batman with those two I could try to get Beta Ray :shrug:

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,

Yesterday prior to our rules clinic one of the judges made me a Hell of a deal. He'd bought at least one case and he basically sold me everything extra in the one he got— super boosters included— for $40. Thanks to coming into some money we'd thought we weren't going to get I had the $40 to spare so I have Thunderstrike, prime Skurge, Surtur, Groot, and pretty much everything else I wanted out of the set besides Bill and I guess Volstagg. I know he kept back SR Hulk, but I think that was actually it. I realized that I need to run some Valkyries at some point and equip one of them (generic or otherwise) with The Helmet of Fate for Team Spear and Magic Helmet. While trying to think of what possibilities this opened for a 1,000-point GOlden Age game later this month, I realized I could run a 1,000-point team of entirely Lokis. I do believe I have to do this.

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

It looks like I'm going to try my hand at the big Roc event this year. Try to win some baby money.

The biggest challenge I can see is trying to see if Jakeem is still worth it with the new rules. I won my State Tournament with him but almost all the strategies I used with him aren't legal or are less effective. Can't just choose invincible and laugh at shredders. Can't do the Defense Chain and JSA trait trick to give the whole team a 21 v range. Can't have Jakeem choose earthbound and carried anymore to remove a summoned ID character and prevent a colossal retaliation.

That and trying to gauge the impact Thor will make. I expect a metric fuckton of Mangog and Equipment abuses. One mean equipment trick I've heard of is Mistress Death and Mjolnir to drop death tokens at 10 range.

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,

Morand posted:

That and trying to gauge the impact Thor will make. I expect a metric fuckton of Mangog and Equipment abuses. One mean equipment trick I've heard of is Mistress Death and Mjolnir to drop death tokens at 10 range.

Oh, mark my words, you'll likely see a shitload of Mangog on his cheap click waiting to be able to bamf into the opposoing starting area and then draw the sword, going up to 150 and thus being able to attack smaller characters because he doesn't have Colossal Indifference anymore. I don't think any of the TMT primes will tear up the scene, but I wouldn't be surprised if you see at least one team of Odin the Destroyer and FF Jean Grey so she can fling him out, he moves, and then uses Incalculable Might to wreck face with Pulse Wave and then finish off the big threat with his second attack, now at full damage thanks to the lack of the DDM. I can also see a Tyrannus team making a showing, using his Tyrannoids to tie up opposing characters for a giant or colossal to be able to see over them and attack— it wouldn't do well, but I can see someone at least trying it. Who in Modern has an effect that keys off critical hits and is already at least halfway decent? That character will make a showing equipped with Jarnbjorn, which changes the chance of a critical hit from 1 in 36 to— assuming my math is right— 1 in 9. That's astounding. Carnage will probably also make a showing on his cheap click.

Oh, and when planning for a 1,000-point Golden Age game next weekend, I considered playing GG Galactus at 600 so I could have a Herald and realizd I could use Surtur. I thought that was funny, but not funny enough to discard my idea of Team Loki, probably with the Star Sapphire Battery and everyone getting the Camouflage feat.

Sanschel
Aug 9, 2002

You can definitely expect to see Carnage and some symbiotes, the meta potential of a retaliator who brings his own nasty tie-up for 10-60 points can't be ignored. Bill obviously because he offers absurd team protection. Maybe Uni-Mind but he's riskier since KOing him means you get his points plus all the Eternals he makes if you get them all; if the build is 400+ he becomes a safer bet, though I think choosing a defense via his trait could be immune to Green Arrow. With the loss of DDM anybody making multiple attacks is better, probably why Hawkguy jumped in price and I could see people hedging bets on Thor Odinson as a heavy tent pole.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Thor Odinson is Vet Icons Superman except with numbers that never fall off, and plot powers, for less points, I'll be shocked if nobody makes a go of it with him. I think there's also real potential in Malekith and a ton of Frost Giants (or Ymir and two frosties), to play a game of "your entire team has two action tokens every single turn, better hope you have willpower and oh look at all my new Dark Elf friends".

And maybe, just to be a contrary rear end in a top hat, I think if I had to pick a team I'd at least playtest Hela and 15 thugs.

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

We had our Merc Jet OP event. 2 booster sealed. Despite my absolute poo poo luck the previous week with Thor I just had to try it again cause new stuff.

I ended up pulling a Uni-Mind and Thena. So I ran Uni-Mind at 270 with Thena on the sideline and a Moon-Knight pog.

Giving Uni-Mind a full dial of RS or Invincible to choose in a sealed really isn't fair.

I won round 1 and 3 against Asgardian teams very easily. Had a hell of a round 2 match against Ikari, Thena and the same pog I was using. My dice went ice cold. I missed a 14 on 18 despite prob and at one point probbed into a crit miss. Ended up being able to KO Ikari while on my last click and steal energy to the click before. I ended up being behind a wall and he chose to clear and wait while I did the same. Looked at my card and saw that 5 clicks would KO her so did a plus 2 to give me a 5 damage and managed to hit my RS/PW. The Eternals are REALLY loving strong.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

To add to the OP, what if we voted on the top 10 most meta pieces?

Torrent
Apr 18, 2003
" . . . "

Red posted:

Hmm... under the assumption that SHIELD and Superman/Wonder Woman will be retired before Worlds next year, I guess my list would be:

EW 049 Green Arrow - replacing Nick Fury as the top of the heap for ID call-ins, and not too shabby on a force, Ollie does such a good job of taking down tentpole figures that not many people are going to rely on them.

JW 066 Bizarro Green Arrow - appropriately, the best counter to Green Arrow. His usefulness took a bit of a hit with the new rules, but he's still one of the best bodyguards out there.

Boxing Ring - special terrain is going to be huge, as there's no better form of map control, and the boxing ring is the best of the three pieces we have so far. Clear out blocking terrain, create a relatively safe space for your close combat figures, and force the game to be played your way.

WI 040 Goblin King and JW 053b Jakeem Thunder - they both fill much the same role, as pick-a-power centerpieces, whose sheer adaptability make them a nightmare to deal with. Between new Outwit changes and the last possession figures (and possibly the Supreme Intelligence) retiring, their menace is lessened, but far from gone.

TMT s009 Mjolnir - this thing is going to have loads of strategies built around it. Being able to make close attacks against targets within range really changes the dynamic of a lot of pieces. Mistress Death is the obvious one, but people are going to get creative here.

TMNT3 Shredders - doesn't really matter which one or ones (my preferences are the Clone and Mini), since what makes these guys dangerous is that shared trait. Penetrating damage that you don't have to roll for, that you can trigger multiple times per turn, is a glorious and dangerous thing. These guys are the number one enemy of colossal retaliators.

TMT g006 Mangog - speaking of which, this guy is just insane. Going to see a ton of him on his colossal retaliation line, as just the threat of him getting to pull the Odinsword and explode into a 150-point monster for your 30-point investment is enough to shape a game.

UND 017 Jacob Marley - kind of iffy on this one, but I see real potential here. Giving -2 attack, with a chance of dealing penetrating damage is pretty dang sweet for 35 points... he's like a diet Shredder.

TMT 058 Uni-Mind - while it's a rough environment out there for tentpoles, the Uni-Mind is in a class by itself. We probably won't see one winning Worlds, but it's going to certainly give some teams a run for their money.

That's ten, but honorable mention goes out to TMNT3 028 Leonardo. Super-solid ranged attacker, and his anti-equipment trait really raised his status with the release of Mighty Thor. I think he'll end up throwing some teams for a loop.

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

Red posted:

It would probably get outdated pretty fast

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Torrent posted:

UND 017 Jacob Marley - kind of iffy on this one, but I see real potential here. Giving -2 attack, with a chance of dealing penetrating damage is pretty dang sweet for 35 points... he's like a diet Shredder.

Is there an easy way to give him Sidestep?

Morand posted:

It would probably get outdated pretty fast

Would it change that much?

If we did a rotating top 10, updated every... 3 months, we could keep a pretty good OP list going.

My votes:

- Jakeem
- Goblin King
- DKR Green Arrow
- Green Arrow JL ID Card
- Uni-Mind
- Mangog
- Claw Shredder
- Shiva Shredder
- Mini Shredder
- Shark Shredder

Sanschel
Aug 9, 2002

Tonight we had a 1000 point The More the Merrier game, where the rules of themed teams apply to everyone on your force regardless of keyword and you're encouraged to play as many figures as you can. I opted to try out a team that I couldn't do otherwise, the Astonishing Avengers, aka Magento's hodgepodge villain group gathered to kick Red Onslaught's tuchus.

UXM U Magneto & Sabertooth, Mystique
Deadpool Merc with a Mouth
GG205 Dr Doom
95pt Absorbing Man
Con LE Loki
TMT Enchantress
ASM Hobgoblin non-prime
CW Jack O'Lantern
SFOS Carnage

Round 1 vs AvX starter X-Men at full. This was against a newer player still figuring things out so I guided him somewhat. I moved up but too close, he took the opportunity to 1-2 punch Deadpool with Slim and Mags right off the bat. I followed up with Loki mind controlling the pair of them; Cyke took a failed shot at Namor and ran up towards my front line, then Mags moved up and bopped Cyke in the kisser. Sabertooth charged in to KO Cyke but only rolled 2 on blades against Magneto. I had Mystique bump Magneto down the map so Doom could blast him, getting doubles so poor Erik was bouncing around like a billiard ball. Colossus, Namor, Emma, and Magik move up while Mags blasts Sabertooth. I use Enchantress to shuffle everyone one step closer and in a cluster then blast them with EE from Jack O'Lantern, with only Magik and Emma taking any damage. I TK up Carnage and have him slice at Emma, but she makes Impervious, and Absorbing Man tags Magik and ends based with Namor. Enchantress Mind Controls Colossus who bops Namor onto Flurry. His turn, Namor Flurries and KO's Sabertooth and Absorbing Man thanks to Outwit and a crit hit. Colossus smashes Carnage and it's my turn. Enchantress shuffles everyone and Loki MC's Colossus to go kill Magneto right as time is called.

Round 2 vs Wakanda: Throne Panther, Shuri, Wakabi, shifting focus and marvel knight Panther, Man Without Fear, Man-Ape, White Wolf, Iron Rocket Man (he was low on points) and a boatload of generic warriors and Hatut Zeraze. He won map and we went to Wakanda, we both moved up and he took a potshot on Enchantress with MWF but missed. I had Mystique run behind the closest Hatut and force blast him towards my squad, where Carnage picked him off. Sabertooth got the stat bonus from his trait and Magneto TK'd him up, Enchantress shuffled everybody into a line and Sabertooth ran up to start slashing, KOing three of the five figures he attacked. Deadpool attacked a warrior and got a fifth plot point (having gotten one turn 1), as did Loki but neither attack stuck. The generics surrounded Sabertooth and he fell to the death of a thousand needles. Marvel Knights Panther ran to my back line and based Magneto while White Wolf, Man-Ape, and Shuri closed in too. My turn Deadpool KO'd one of the Hatut next to him, Loki MC'd Man-Ape to kill a warrior, Absorbing Man slapped MK Panther, and Doom and Jack KO'd Man-Ape (Doom rolling 10 while copying Brotherhood so no token, very Doomlike). Rocket ran up and shot Jack, a few other attacks missed, and his force cleared. Deadpool used his ultimate ability to shoot everybody in range, 12 figures all told, and landed a crit hit. Seven generics died instantly, Shuri and Mk Panther missed their Super Senses, so they along with Rocket, White Wolf, and MWF all took 3 damage. Doom and Absorbing Man finished off MWF right as time was called.

This team was a blast, I got to pull off some great tricks with Sabertooth and Deadpool, and Enchantress is ridiculously potent. I had thought her power was a power action until I was ready to use it, the fact that it's a free action is beyond insane, she was the absolute backbone of my team. Doom is as good as I remember, but he was a great example of how good the new Brotherhood TA is, if you're rolling hot then you're going to dish out a lot of damage. MC's changes were a lot of fun; very streamlined and simple, no wasted action if I fail to breakaway from a lesser target because at least I can still punch that guy if I fail. Of course, getting to control two figures worth 350 points with no penalty seems kind of absurd. The more I play with the new rules the more I enjoy them.

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

TKers can now TK themselves.

Ball game changed.

EDIT: Although not as much as I initially thought. It's still a power action to move a figure, so you move yourself but have a token.

Steve Vader fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Sep 24, 2017

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

...huh.

Pieces who TK for free are very interesting now.

Sanschel
Aug 9, 2002

CapnAndy posted:

...huh.

Pieces who TK for free are very interesting now.

Note that you still cannot use TK after being TK'd, so they need to place themselves first or the second one is illegal.

Sanschel
Aug 9, 2002

I'm trying to put together an Avengers team following a theme of legacy characters who've taken on their own 90s name. So far I'm at Thunderstrike, USAgent, and War Machine. I could add Scott Lang Ant-Man but he doesn't quite fit the naming convention and I'm stymied for anybody else who does. Got any ideas?

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

Sanschel posted:

I'm trying to put together an Avengers team following a theme of legacy characters who've taken on their own 90s name. So far I'm at Thunderstrike, USAgent, and War Machine. I could add Scott Lang Ant-Man but he doesn't quite fit the naming convention and I'm stymied for anybody else who does. Got any ideas?

Monica Rambeau has gone through several. As has Genis-Vell, both former Captain Marvels. Plus Phyla-Vell, for that matter, although she may have only been an Avenger in another dimension.

Hawkingbird.

Sanschel
Aug 9, 2002

Steve Vader posted:

Monica Rambeau has gone through several. As has Genis-Vell, both former Captain Marvels. Plus Phyla-Vell, for that matter, although she may have only been an Avenger in another dimension.

Hawkingbird.

Oh drat, Monica is perfect! Thank you! For the record, I couldn't recall what her AOU figure was called and had to go through Pulsar and Photon before remembering it was Spectrum; girl is fickle with her code names, to be sure.

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

So my venue is having "Escalation month"

Week 1 you do a 300 point team.
Week 2, you do you 300 point team from week 1 and add 200 to it
Week 3 add 300 to your week 1 and 2
Week 4 add 200

So once you do a team you are locked in with that team. So if you did a Uni-Mind for example week 1, you can't spend points week 2 to give him more blue flame options, or make him top dial.

I can only make weeks 2 and 4 which the venue said is ok, provided you clearly show how you would build your teams to match the weeks.

I really want to do Planetary and build off it with the detective keyword but I'm having a really hard time building up so I figured I'd open it up to suggestions. Oh and resources are allowed because this venue while fun is really dumb sometimes.

Team 1 was

Jakita
Drummer
Elijah Snow with Belt
15 point Jessica Jones from ADW
Captain Stacy.

Basically this is the core of my no gently caress you Uni Mind team, with TA cancelling and 3 outwits plus a wildcard and police to lower defenses. I'm not totally sold on it though. It's also 299 so I'll forever be at least 1 point underbuilt

Team 2 it all falls apart cause I just can't figure out what I want to do. I want to do more offense, but also make the team more mobile.

I know I want Lt. Gordon from Dark Knight Rises
I then made a quick team of
Batman (Elseworlds perplexer with other shifters on sideline)
JW Spectre (Need a flier to maximize LT Gordon)
SOG Bullock

But I just don't like it. I feel like I don't have enough offense at 500, just more gimmicks.

For the finale I can do

300 - Martian Manhunter from TW

200 - Nightwing, Ace the Bathound, 50 Point Magneto.

I still am not a super fan of it. So I welcome suggestions.

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,

How married are you to Detective? How about Police?

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

For the same event I was thinking Hydra and using Captain America to build a steadily growing force of Hydravengers, but now... ugh. I don't wanna have to purpose-build to kill Uni-Mind, but what choices are there?

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

ManiacClown posted:

How married are you to Detective? How about Police?

I wanted to use planetary and they all had detective. I've also made a couple other teams that are significantly less pleasant but I'm trying to be good.

edit:

CapnAndy posted:

For the same event I was thinking Hydra and using Captain America to build a steadily growing force of Hydravengers, but now... ugh. I don't wanna have to purpose-build to kill Uni-Mind, but what choices are there?

Honestly the Hydravengers aren't a bad idea for taking on Uni-Mind. Just have a black panther handy for outwit and with all the Hydra who gives a gently caress if he perplexes his defense>

Morand fucked around with this message at 12:25 on Oct 4, 2017

Red
Apr 15, 2003

What are the best Magneto pieces, and why?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

Red posted:

What are the best Magneto pieces, and why?

The UXM Rare and Chase are pretty good. The UXM Rare is an economical 90 points with the ability to give anyone ESD. The chase is capable of quite a bit of damage with his Scrap Mechanic.

037a Magneto from UXM a nice TK/Barrier/Secondary attacker with a mean trick if he gets in your starting area

For a long time the GSX SR was the gold standard of Magneto's for me. He's aged a bit badly though.