Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

You don't yank on the Spine of God

Grittybeard posted:

I just love this stupid, corrupt, person destroying sport too much to stop watching.

Yeah, pretty much. We're all awful people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Grittybeard posted:

I think it's quite likely boxing is worse for you, the sub-concussive impacts over time seem very dangerous and boxing is a lot more likely to let a dude get beat up a lot longer before he passes out.

Existing research indicates this is the case

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Allen Wren posted:

In the fight thread, it was implied that both MMA and boxing refs have approximately the same standards re: stopping fights to protect fighters who cannot defend themselves. I would certainly hope this is the case. Now. I've seen a shitton of boxing. I have seen exactly one MMA match.
...But, like, where the gently caress is the ref?
Because there are many more positions from which a fight can end in MMA, the skill needed to spot when a fighter is in danger is much higher for reffing in MMA. Similarly so for the skill to decide when there's no coming back from a bad situation.

The standards are the same in that you want to give the fighter as much of a chance as possible without seriously injuring their body or brain, but I'd say there's a much higher bar to clear for MMA refs.

Having been engaged in recovering my head from a fight where I got knocked down twice, I now have a lot more forgiveness for refs who end the fight too early. Even if we think so from the perspective of fight fans who want entertainment, there's no leg to stand on from the perspective of fighter safety.

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uG3nxLTLtyI

scenes

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

My favourite bit is where they neatly walk the edge of the ring while looking out in the wrong the direction, really selling the blindness there boys

Monday Bandele
Apr 26, 2008
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zdMbvimYw1o

from inside the arena with no commentary

I agree with the judges, Conor won two rounds max

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
But we're still the best dressed
So apparently Andre Berto wants to do mma and Jose Aldo wants to box. Wonder if we can work out a trade

https://www.badlefthook.com/2017/8/30/16229816/ufc-star-jose-aldo-considering-move-to-boxing

https://youtu.be/hBcuLTvchYA - Aldo sparring Mikey at Robert Garcia Boxing Academy

https://www.badlefthook.com/2017/8/29/16220904/andre-berto-wants-to-join-the-ufc

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

They should kickbox each other. That could actually be a good fight?

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

I'm really not trying to come off like a hand-wringing "oh these modern fighters and their pants below the waist and their rap music" type, I just figured that getting sat on and your head smacked around wasn't kosher. I did some digging and here's the fight in question. The guy on the ground does a better job defending than I gave him credit for when I saw this three or four years ago, but it's still not great. His head still gets bounced off the floor and the fence a few times....ah, whatever. It just seems a bit excessive with this guy still catching elbows and fists to the head because his arms haven't dropped.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x13cxcb

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

They should kickbox each other. That could actually be a good fight?

that would look like floyd vs conor

MysteryNad
Dec 5, 2003

Here in my guard
I feel safest of all
I can lock up my guard
It's the only way to fight
In guard

Allen Wren posted:

I'm really not trying to come off like a hand-wringing "oh these modern fighters and their pants below the waist and their rap music" type, I just figured that getting sat on and your head smacked around wasn't kosher. I did some digging and here's the fight in question. The guy on the ground does a better job defending than I gave him credit for when I saw this three or four years ago, but it's still not great. His head still gets bounced off the floor and the fence a few times....ah, whatever. It just seems a bit excessive with this guy still catching elbows and fists to the head because his arms haven't dropped.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x13cxcb

Using Fabio Maldonado as a measure for bad stoppages in MMA is not very productive. He's firmly in the camp of fighters that are way too tough for their own good. He's also too small for his weight class and the only person to finish him without a doctor stoppage is the current UFC Heavyweight champion who was 40lbs heavier than him.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

I.N.R.I posted:

that would look like floyd vs conor

Now I'm the guy who DKSAMMA

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

MysteryNad posted:

Using Fabio Maldonado as a measure for bad stoppages in MMA is not very productive. He's firmly in the camp of fighters that are way too tough for their own good. He's also too small for his weight class and the only person to finish him without a doctor stoppage is the current UFC Heavyweight champion who was 40lbs heavier than him.

Okay, so this is just straight-up not indicative of what the usual deal is. That makes me feel way better about it.

vainman
Nov 2, 2012

I find your lack of faith... disturbing
It's not the usual deal but it does happen. If you keep watching MMA you'll probably see something like that again

Everyone agrees that stuff is bad, though

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

I dunno about you guys but I'm starting to get real excited about Canelo-GGG. I'm a big fan of both guys and I just have a feeling this is gonna be a great one.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
Was looking at a YouTube of most dangerous boxers and had never heard of Gerald McClellan. Looked him up and am now depressed

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

the_american_dream posted:

Was looking at a YouTube of most dangerous boxers and had never heard of Gerald McClellan. Looked him up and am now depressed

Worse things have happened to better people

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

You don't yank on the Spine of God

The Ninth Layer posted:

I dunno about you guys but I'm starting to get real excited about Canelo-GGG. I'm a big fan of both guys and I just have a feeling this is gonna be a great one.

I think so too.

I've been trying to tell everyone I know that it's going to be excellent, and a much better use of their cash than May/Mac was, but none of them give a poo poo. It's depressing the gently caress out of me, because this fight is everything that boxing fans want even down to the styles and stakes.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

ozymandius1024 posted:

I think so too.

I've been trying to tell everyone I know that it's going to be excellent, and a much better use of their cash than May/Mac was, but none of them give a poo poo. It's depressing the gently caress out of me, because this fight is everything that boxing fans want even down to the styles and stakes.

it's unfortunate, but neither of them have much star power (at least outside of Mexico). And that's what sells fights. I mean for all of Floyd's unquestioned greatness in the ring, you could argue his most impressive feat is being able to become the biggest draw in boxing while using an extremely defensive style.

That said, I'm looking forward to the fight. Should be really good. I am a little worried though if GGG is actually falling off, or was Jacobs just really good/the right kind of fighter to handle him. I'm also trying to not give too much weight to Canelo's last fight since that was a giant shitshow (seriously Connor put up a better performance than JCC jr).

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
If this fight delivers to expectations like kovalev/ward 1 did then we are in for a loving treat

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

Oh guess what's out for delivery :dance:

http://allinboxing.bigcartel.com/product/ggg-killer-t-shirt-black

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries

That is an amazing t shirt.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
Sold out already?

butros
Aug 2, 2007

Yeah it was a one off preorder. That guy has really cool shirt designs pretty regularly tho, worth following on igram.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
has anyone ever used fite.tv to stream big fights? it's the only way i know of that i can watch the ggg/canelo fight and i'm curious if i just wasted $79.

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

paying for fights? can't relate

duckdealer
Feb 28, 2011

NUKES CURE NORKS posted:

has anyone ever used fite.tv to stream big fights? it's the only way i know of that i can watch the ggg/canelo fight and i'm curious if i just wasted $79.

I've used them for pro wrestling events in the past. I've found the bigger and more professional the event the less problems you will have with the stream so should be good with ggg/canelo.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gykpVko-omE - Under the Lights Canelo-Golovkin (probably not available outside the US :( )

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

The SituAsian posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gykpVko-omE - Under the Lights Canelo-Golovkin (probably not available outside the US :( )

i am pretty loving hyped for this.

bernard hopkins and mayweather both pick canelo, and although i originally liked ggg, someone pointed out that the only boxers that gave alvarez trouble were defensively brilliant fighters in lara and mayweather.

the thing is though, i'm not sure that ggg can't out-box canelo if he chooses to not go full destructo as he's done with basically every other fighter who's got in there with him and just concentrates on racking up rounds... could he do that?

whatever. all i know is that if canelo wins, he will have to absorb a career-shortening amount of damage to get it.

Monday Bandele
Apr 26, 2008
I can see a Chavez-Meldrick Taylor type fight, Canelo impressing early with flashy combos but GGG grinding him down as the fight goes on. Just depends if he can stop him before it goes to the cards...

meat CRime
Jun 12, 2010

ham, turkey, roast beef, cold cuts, North Carolina, vienna sausage
Grimey Drawer
Canelo ducked GGG for a reason. Hands down GGG wins as long as it doesn't go to decision.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
I'm worried GGG is older than we're hoping for in this showdown.

eshock
Sep 2, 2004

meat CRime posted:

Canelo ducked GGG for a reason. Hands down GGG wins as long as it doesn't go to decision.

kimbo305 posted:

I'm worried GGG is older than we're hoping for in this showdown.

Yeah, he stopped ducking him for a reason too.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
Hopkins (being a partner in Golden Boy Promotions) and Floyd (legacy reasons) both have a vested interest in having Canelo win but their reasons for picking him are justifiable from a logical perspective now

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Even for me, I'm picking Golovkin but it's a toss up from my perspective.

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
I got Canelo

butros
Aug 2, 2007

GGG KO with a body shot after 8.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
They're both good fighters so a pick for either is reasonable. It's just that there's so much hype behind Canelo as the next Great Mexican Fighter you can't help but feel he's a little overrated.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
Yeah but for Golovkin there's not looking all that hot (relatively) his past two performances and the classic

https://youtu.be/jiIHbujOItU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

GGG's last fight was very competitive but it's tough to compare that to Canelo's last few fights easily beating guys who barely had a pulse to begin with.