Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Dick Burglar posted:

I was more thinking chunky thighs rubbing together.

Also, now we know why Carrot Top tweeted a promo for the book: he appears in it (and I'm guessing he's hoping to appear in the movie as well).

Of note: according to her modeling page, Lani is in fact 5'9.

I wonder if Lani actually contacted all these bands and celebrities to ask if they wanted to be in her book.

Also your friendly reminder that Carrot Top is 52 years old this year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
Do you think she plans any of this or is it pure Stephen King style stream of consciousness plotting

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Do you think she plans any of this or is it pure Stephen King style stream of consciousness plotting

Her interview said she started with a screenplay that ballooned to a novel and it has multiple glaring typos. I'm pretty sure this is a first draft without an editor.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

I wondering if later she'll run into Penn & Teller, and reveal that Teller can actually talk, but only talks to her!

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Dick Burglar posted:

Of note: according to her modeling page, Lani is in fact 5'9.

Ahh... I was wondering if that was the case.

Davros1 posted:

I wondering if later she'll run into Penn & Teller, and reveal that Teller can actually talk, but only talks to her!

I vote for a Siegfried and Roy cameo where she convinces them to come out of retirement.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
Wait lani has a modelling page

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I decided to skim through to the ending out of frustration at not knowing even basic stuff. The book continues to get dumber as it goes on, and features an extended sequence where Zade does literally nothing and we're in a quasi-third person for an incredibly long time.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
"Wow, Carrot, it's so great to see you again!"

"Please, all my friends call me Scott. Scott Top."

drat, the man was born in 1965. He's already probably graying.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Rough Lobster posted:

The latest teen heart throb!

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I'm honestly intrigued to see how deep the rabbit hole goes.

Before: A woman makes a lovely novel to try and be a movie star.

Now: Jackson Rathbone's former manager writes a story about how she's a witch and he's in love with her. Carrot Top and Wayne Newton are her friends.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006

chitoryu12 posted:

Her interview said she started with a screenplay that ballooned to a novel and it has multiple glaring typos. I'm pretty sure this is a first draft without an editor.

Which is funny because in that same interview she says she sucks at grammar "but that's what editors are for, right?"

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Wait lani has a modelling page

I linked it earlier, or you can just google her name and Model Mayhem. It used to be on the first page of Google results for her name, but now there are a zillion stories about the NYT Bestsellers list scam.

The motorcycle picture is truly portfolio material.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Dick Burglar posted:

I linked it earlier, or you can just google her name and Model Mayhem. It used to be on the first page of Google results for her name, but now there are a zillion stories about the NYT Bestsellers list scam.

The motorcycle picture is truly portfolio material.

The motorcycle and the wedding dress pictures definitely don't belong in a portfolio. The rest aren't half bad, I wonder how much touch-up was done to them.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Mel Mudkiper posted:

B. The author lives in a terrifying approximation of reality in which the fundamental laws that govern the fragile structure of sanity are no more

So, 2017?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

PJOmega posted:

The motorcycle and the wedding dress pictures definitely don't belong in a portfolio. The rest aren't half bad, I wonder how much touch-up was done to them.

Model Mayhem actually bans those sort of pictures. Your portfolio is supposed to be nothing BUT modeling shots.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!
What a coincidence for me to run into my two good friends Michael Buble and Norm Macdonald in this humble Krogers!

Blastedhellscape
Jan 1, 2008
This reads a lot like a modern day Eye of Argon. Of course the kid who wrote Eye of Argon had obviously just read a couple of Conan the Barbarian stories and really wanted to imitate Robert E. Howard, and this woman seems to just be imitating Stephenie Meyer because she thinks it will make her rich and famous.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts
https://twitter.com/giadio_amicitia/status/903526393190932480

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I'm making the somewhat unusual decision to split this chapter into two updates. Lani's poor writing rears its head once more and she ends up making this chapter last far too long, and it flows much better with its latter half being combined with the upcoming chapter, so that's what I'm going to do.

quote:

I stood outside the bar, nervous. I had so many things to think about that my head was starting to hurt. I probably should have worried more about the girl in the parking garage but I just wasn’t ready to deal with her yet.

I grabbed my iPhone and turned the camera on me, using it as a makeshift mirror. I just wanted to make sure one last time that I looked good. Maggie was right, I had chosen the right dress. I was just the right amount of dressed up. I breathed in to calm my nerves. I knew Mac was already inside.

The night before, after we had made it safely back to town, Mac had invited me back to his place—but I told him I thought it would be best to save that for another night. And, honestly, I had just really wanted to get out of my wet clothes and needed time to process what had happened. Spending time with Mac under that awning was probably the most romantic thing that had happened to me in my small amount of dating experience, and I decided that perfect rain kisses were a great place to leave the “to be continued.” I had bolted home so quickly we didn’t talk about what was going to happen tonight when we saw each other.

Since I hadn’t talked to him all day, I made up my mind that I wouldn’t act like anything had happened—unless he did. Truth be told, I was kind of hoping he wouldn’t either. After all, Mac was fully aware that Jackson had invited me in a somewhat “date-like” manner. I sorta wondered to myself how I got into such messes like this. I took another deep breath before grabbing the large metal handle and pulling back the heavy oversized door.

Once I was inside, a bouncer checked my ID. He eyed me up and down and gave my ID a long hard glance before handing it back to me and stamping my hand. My baby face always made them double check and usually bouncers would look at me the way he did—they never looked like they believed I was actually old enough to be in a bar.

Tad, Mac, and Riley are at the bar talking, so Lani heads up to them to get some "Mac time" while Jackson is busy. She then makes the bizarre decision to pretend not to notice them and ask the bartender for a drink, for reasons I can't quite figure out. Her plan to spend time with Mac fails as Jackson and Tim show up and start chatting with her instead. They introduce her to Dave, one of their bandmates. Because this is literally the Plain White T's with the lead singer replaced by an alternate universe Jackson Rathbone, these are Tim Lopez and Dave Tirio.

Jackson kisses Zade lightly on the lips. She describes it as the kind of kiss that friends give, which makes me wonder what the hell kind of friends Lani Sarem has. He then returns to get ready for their set while Mac, Tad, Cam, and Riley spot her and move in. Riley mentions with astonishment that the Plain White T's are pretty popular in Vegas and might get a record deal soon!

A tall, overweight man pushes his way onto the stage to announce the Plain White T's coming on, and the crowd goes wild shoving toward them and screaming in excitement.

quote:

I had to yell over the crowd pretty loudly to be heard at all. “Wow, it’s like they’re *NSYNC and they got the band back together or something!” I shouted—to Riley, mainly, though I’m sure Mac, Cam, and Tad heard me too. I knew for sure Mac had heard, since I saw that he chuckled at my comment.

I continued, “Dave and that other guy work at our show, right? I know I’ve seen them at work; there’s just so many people to keep straight.”

Riley nodded in agreement and pointed toward the stage. “Tim, Tom, Mike, and—of course—Jackson. You know them, right?” “Yep,” I responded confidently. Riley then went on to explain, “Dave is actually in the audio department, but is also back-up guitar player for our show. De’mar is the drummer for us, and—as you can see—also for the T’s. They’ve been around a few years now and I heard they just got offered a record deal.”

I gathered from Riley’s comment that “the T’s” must be a shortened version of the band’s name. I wondered why they called themselves the “Plain White T’s,” but figured I’d save that question for later when Jackson and I could chat. I was impressed to hear they were getting offered a record deal.

“Wow,” I said. “That’s great. They must be pretty good then. This place is packed.” As I surveyed the crowd, I noticed that Pete (who I still had trouble calling “Trig”) had finally arrived sometime after the first song. I now had proof of what I’d been told earlier: Pete is never late to work, but he couldn’t get to a social event on time to save his life.

Thanks for letting us know that "The T's" are also "The Plain White T's". Never would have guessed if you didn't tell me.

The band goes on, with Zade name dropping several of their songs like "Stay", which she describes as sassy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPt8pxo_qYc

The rest of the conversation is kinda boring and pointless. Mac kinda sorta admits that last night's kiss in the rain mainly happened because Jackson was hitting on her and he got jealous.

quote:

Mac and I didn’t talk about the situation any more for the remainder of the night. I think Mac could feel that he was going to just have to chill and see what happened. He moved away from me and started a conversation with Tad, Pete, Zeb, and Cam about work. Riley had walked away, and was apparently pounding back drinks like they were water. I let myself have some alone time to focus on everything going on in my head.

Towards the end of their set the band launched into another ballad. A slow-grooved rock song with a pretty sparkly pop hook called “Someday You’re Gonna Love Me.” I couldn’t be quite sure, but it almost felt like this song was directed at me. The lyrics said something about allowing the girl time to go have fun cause the guy was going to just wait around because, well, “someday you’re gonna love me.” It was a super sweet, romantic thought. The chorus felt like it was being sung just for me, and Jackson’s eyes were definitely looking directly at mine while he sang. At least it sure felt like he was, or maybe I’m just that girl who thinks she’s being sung to at a concert and really isn’t. Maybe from the stage, with the lights in his eyes, Jackson couldn’t even see me and was just looking at the random faces in the crowd.

You're so vain you probably think this song is about you.

Jackson comes down after they finish and chats up Zade, though he does notice that she's eyeing Mac across the room in the middle of their conversation. Riley ends up wasted to the point where his eyes are bloodshot and he's falling over, so they drag him out to take him home. Cam hitches a ride with Zeb, and nothing else important happens.

quote:

It was nearly four in the morning when I finally made it home. I’d stayed at the bar with Jackson for a while after everyone else had left, and found that it was much easier to relax around him once Mac was gone.

I'll end it here, since the chapter goes on for basically the same length. Next time, we learn just how much Lani Sarem knows about tarot!

It's not a lot.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Rough Lobster posted:

Oh no, he dyes it, and by it I mean his entire body. He looks like some kind of donald trump tinted goblin

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

A good look in my opinion.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

UGH the names.

Tim Tom Tad "Trig" Mike Mac Zade Zeb and of course who can forget Cam.

She's going to end up with Jackson because he's the only one in the drat book with more than one syllable.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Rough Lobster posted:

UGH the names.

She's going to end up with Jackson because he's the only one in the drat book with more than one syllable.

Don't forget Lil!

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Rough Lobster posted:

UGH the names.

She names her characters like its a comic book fight scene

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Rough Lobster posted:

UGH the names.

Are these people all members of the Palin family?

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!
It's fitting that the Plain White T's ended up in this creeper fanfiction considering "Hey There Delilah" was written to creep on an uninterested chick in a long term relationship.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I wonder whether the author is aware that most of the attempts to start new YA adaptation movie franchises have tanked in the last five years? (Rhetorical question; I realise she probably isn't.) Harry Potter and Twilight ended in 2011 and 2012 respectively and they did pretty well. Hunger Games debuted in 2012 and ended in 2015, but it ended up not doing as well as had been hoped for.

In the interim, His Dark Materials was tried and failed, Beautiful Creatures was tried and failed, Mortal Instruments was tried and failed, Ender's Game was tried and failed, Vampire Academy was tried and failed, Divergent was successful for a while but petered out in the end, Chronicles of Narnia started off well but I have no idea what's going on with it now, and there's probably a bunch of other examples I've forgotten about.

Point is that even if this novel was actually good and even if it sold on its own merits, then surely its chances of getting optioned by a production company would be potentially slim at this point? I'm pretty sure that the pre-existing "YA audience" mainly goes in for superhero movies and Star Wars and the like now.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

I'm not sure how well The Maze Runner is doing as a film adaptation of a YA series but I got a bizarre phonecall from my 56 year old father who usually only watches WW2 movies last year to tell me that the first two movies were really good and he was excited for the third in the series so they must be doing something right.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I've just started glazing over the actual book portions of this thread and I'm only reading the reactions.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Arcsquad12 posted:

I've just started glazing over the actual book portions of this thread and I'm only reading the reactions.

I started doing that with update one.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

tbh I do that with every one of these threads

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Baron Corbyn posted:

I'm not sure how well The Maze Runner is doing as a film adaptation of a YA series but I got a bizarre phonecall from my 56 year old father who usually only watches WW2 movies last year to tell me that the first two movies were really good and he was excited for the third in the series so they must be doing something right.

Oh, yeah, my dad likes those. I forgot about them. I suppose there's The 100 as well but it's on TV, and the TV show is almost completely different from the books it's adapting.

TheKennedys
Sep 23, 2006

By my hand, I will take you from this godforsaken internet

Wheat Loaf posted:

I wonder whether the author is aware that most of the attempts to start new YA adaptation movie franchises have tanked in the last five years? (Rhetorical question; I realise she probably isn't.) Harry Potter and Twilight ended in 2011 and 2012 respectively and they did pretty well. Hunger Games debuted in 2012 and ended in 2015, but it ended up not doing as well as had been hoped for.

In the interim, His Dark Materials was tried and failed, Beautiful Creatures was tried and failed, Mortal Instruments was tried and failed, Ender's Game was tried and failed, Vampire Academy was tried and failed, Divergent was successful for a while but petered out in the end, Chronicles of Narnia started off well but I have no idea what's going on with it now, and there's probably a bunch of other examples I've forgotten about.

Point is that even if this novel was actually good and even if it sold on its own merits, then surely its chances of getting optioned by a production company would be potentially slim at this point? I'm pretty sure that the pre-existing "YA audience" mainly goes in for superhero movies and Star Wars and the like now.

I was so disappointed in the Golden Compass movie attempt. :( The giant fuckoff armored bear was the best part of the movie, but it did not do the books justice and I really think a lot of fantasy series would be better adapted as full CGI/animation instead of trying to do them live action.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Mel Mudkiper posted:

She names her characters like its a comic book fight scene

Holy loving lol batman!

Not to empty quote, but had the author emphasized the homoerotic potential of the two male members in the love triangle, she could have tried to utilize the hosed up fandom girls who fetishizing gay male relationships. In the least the series may have had more staying power. Though this shindig with jacking up the best sellers list meant it was always doomed in some way.

Still, if that 'Snape's Wife' person was any indication, someone out there would have obsessed over Trig like he was a real live celebrity.

Side note: never read the books, but I did enjoy those Narnia movies and wish there were more. At least Lev Grossman's series is filling that void.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

TheKennedys posted:

I was so disappointed in the Golden Compass movie attempt. :( The giant fuckoff armored bear was the best part of the movie, but it did not do the books justice and I really think a lot of fantasy series would be better adapted as full CGI/animation instead of trying to do them live action.
They'll never do animated YA stuff because if they did whatever famous actor whose kids love the books wouldn't be able to jump on the live-action movie adaptation and hog all the screentime in what was originally a smaller role.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Oh, and I forgot Eragon as well.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

TheKennedys posted:

It was a horrible movie and a horrible shame since the casting was actually really good. The kid who did Lyra was fine but Nicole Kidman could have been so good as Mrs Coulter, and Sam Elliott as Lee Scoresby was inspired. McKellan as Iorek was clearly not that into it which is sad because he could've been perfect. And Eva Green was a lovely Serafina. Daniel Craig didn't work for me as Asriel though.

It just all went so wrong. The bear fight was awesome though.

e: like she is radiant, but the script. THE SCRIPT. :(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_rE45VHtSzw

eating only apples fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Sep 3, 2017

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Isnt the Golden Compass a three novel gently caress you to CS Lewis

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Isnt the Golden Compass a three novel gently caress you to CS Lewis

His Dark Materials, but yeah. God is a withered useless old man that the main characters kill just by interacting with him.

I'm going to read that series again even though The Amber Spyglass was Pullman wittering on about religion for 500 pages with 200 pages of plot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

eating only apples posted:

I'm going to read that series again even though The Amber Spyglass was Pullman wittering on about religion for 500 pages with 200 pages of plot

I think I figured out why the movies didn't work out

• Locked thread