Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer
Steam has minimum prices now for some reason, or so I've been told. Still a dumb thing but its not like the Attila blood DLC adds events like the warhammer one so it can safely be ignored. I still got it because I demand all my total war games look like offerings to the blood god, of course but I get why people wouldnt want to pay for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

Fellblade posted:

The answer is there's more than one reason for doing things, it's both rating loophole and money milking.

I dont know what else needs to be said, this is clearly the fact of the matter.

Midnightghoul
Oct 1, 2003

COME ON DON'T BE SCURRED

Mans posted:

What does it add exactly?

It is based on realism, but not to the overbearing extent where it makes things annoying. Basically it redoes the roster for all factions, make AOR way more interesting, adds in a lot of QOL features, etc. I would echo what was said earlier though and get one of the faster combat/movement submods from the workshop though, as the default combat has been slowed down in the mod.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Ammanas posted:

iirc it adds a lot of 'realism' to the game, its been a long time tho

It's not that kind of mod

It's pretty fun but Rome 2 runs so slowly on campaign that I have never finished.

New Butt Order
Jun 20, 2017
DEI is a complete overhaul. I'd play some vanilla before playing it for that reason and then deciding if you want what it does. It's not my cup of tea but I assume it's the most popular overhaul for a reason.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Does nobody like to play Attila and be the Huns, make an army composed entirely of horse archers and horse lancers and just burn everything to the ground Mongol style?

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
that's pretty much all I do in Attila and it is great

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
Can somebody give me a good rundown on what religion does/unlocks what for the desert kingdoms in attila? the encyclopedia appears to be down so I can't see what they give me.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

Don Gato posted:

Steam has minimum prices now for some reason, or so I've been told. Still a dumb thing but its not like the Attila blood DLC adds events like the warhammer one so it can safely be ignored. I still got it because I demand all my total war games look like offerings to the blood god, of course but I get why people wouldnt want to pay for that.

Wait, what?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The blood and gore dlc for Warhammer adds special global events every handful of turns that increase stuff like weapon strength or charge bonuses across the entire world map and affecting every unit.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
The Warhammer blood DLC adds occasional random campaign events where every faction gets +20 charge bonus for eight turns, or something in that vein, every now and then.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
That's dumb, okay.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

I'm a Total War noob. Only started playing the game a couple of weeks ago. I'm playing Attila as the Huns.

Just like the Mongols in real life I have raised hell by raiding and destroying small settlements, and I have been able to defeat dumb computer AI in battles by using tactics I have only ever read about in books about Genghis Khan (while playing Attila as the Huns).

Even outnumbered in a battle, I've found that constantly moving groups of horse bowmen around the enemy flanks causes them to constantly react to what I'm doing. By doing this and whittling the numbers of a unit down through long range archery I'm eventually able to route them and create openings in their formations I can then send mounted troops through.

Unfortunately just like Genghis, when I first ran into walled cities I was confused. I tried to lay siege to one that was on the coast and it said they'd run out of food in seven turns. I continued the siege for a couple of turns but it still said they would run out of food in seven turns. I think it was because the city was on the coast and was receiving supplies from across the water, maybe. An indefinite siege is not an option.

So I figure fine, instead I'll attack it on the battle map, we will do it just like they were an opposing army in the field. I saw that I had the option to create siege ladders, rams, and also big siege towers that I could push up against the walls. But during the battle, even though I see these newly-created towers on the map, I cannot figure out how to tell my AI mans to either ram the gate or push these siege towers over to the walls. Instead, we just kind of sit on the plain next to the city, shoot arrows, and get slowly attrited. I also don't seem to be able to create trebuchets or anything similar.

For the Mongols, the 1207 invasion of China was the first time they had ever even seen a wall, and I am similarly clueless and ignorant in this game.

I tried googling but I guess there are so many Total War games that it's difficult to find a guide on how I should do these things in Attila. Can anyone help me out, or point me to a guide specifically for Attila?

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
You'll need to field actual foot troops-Spearmen, Archers, or Swordsmen-to hold and use these siege weapons; your Cavalry will not dismount for the sake of pushing around this stuff. You'll also find them useful to deal with resistance within actual cities-Cavalry don't do so well in such tight quarters. Now, I'm looking at the Hunnic units here: https://www.honga.net/totalwar/attila/faction.php?l=en&v=attila&f=att_fact_hunni and even if you've been focusing on Cavalry, you should be able to recruit some people to man those buildable weapons.

Huns have little access to Siege, but they DO have access to it via the Carpeter's Yurt.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Hun Uar Warriors are bad hombres too. They can go toe to toe with the best of them.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Ah, well that certainly explains it. I haven't recruited a single foot soldier unit. Thank you so much!

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Don't some of the horse units have a dismount option? You can have those guys carry the rams to knock down some walls/gates for your cavalry, but you still want some proper infantry for street fighting.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

I think I have seen a dismount option. I am such a noob I was even embarrassed to post in this thread though, I could be wrong.

What I'm debating doing is to create another stack that is mostly infantry plus just a couple cavalry units, to follow around behind my apocalyptic horse army and move up when we lay siege to someplace.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

I'm pretty sure all cavalry in Attila and Rome 2 can dismount. So yeah, an option is to create a couple of battering rams, dismount some chaff units, break down one or two gates and smash through.

Also, I do seem to remember that from fighting the Huns as the Goths and Romans that the Huns actually have some pretty badass infantry units. Like I remember those fuckers fighting almost to the death (and this was with no mods) killing some 3-4 times their own number before going down.

There is actually an argument made by some historians that the Huns, when they invaded Gaul and northern Italy, actually mostly fought as infantry, due to not having access to as much pastureland as they did on the steppes (a counter-argument is also made that Attila as the head of a confederacy and with considerable prestige and influence probably could summon horsemen from allied and subordinate tribes on the steppes to come join his invasion). Also, if I recall correctly, the Mongols actually learned and even mastered siege warfare relatively quickly. You should take this to heart and become a master of burning cities yourself.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

MrMojok posted:

I think I have seen a dismount option. I am such a noob I was even embarrassed to post in this thread though, I could be wrong.

What I'm debating doing is to create another stack that is mostly infantry plus just a couple cavalry units, to follow around behind my apocalyptic horse army and move up when we lay siege to someplace.

This is a genuinely good idea for how to play as the Huns.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

John Charity Spring posted:

This is a genuinely good idea for how to play as the Huns.

Think of that as the Gothic component of the Hun confederation.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Randarkman posted:

Also, if I recall correctly, the Mongols actually learned and even mastered siege warfare relatively quickly. You should take this to heart and become a master of burning cities yourself.

You're right about the Mongols and you betcha, that is exactly what I intend to do! I shall be a scourge upon the Earth.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

So I got into the current Arena beta, and it's surprisingly fun. Time will tell if it's got the same problems that most F2P MP games do, but I'm enjoying it for now.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Plan Z posted:

So I got into the current Arena beta, and it's surprisingly fun. Time will tell if it's got the same problems that most F2P MP games do, but I'm enjoying it for now.

I'm also playing it and also enjoying it. I doubt it will convert any folks who don't play multiplayer in the regular TW titles, but everyone I know who plays multi has enjoyed it.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
As a other people said, the Huns are portrayed in-game as these exelent horse archers. However their big secret is that they have equally good foot archers, infantry and shock cavalry.

Which means the big secret the Huns have is that they are simply curbstompingly good :v:

Plan Z posted:

I played a lot of Arena when it was open, I don't understand why they closed it for so long.

Vodos
Jul 17, 2009

And how do we do that? We hurt a lot of people...

Mans posted:

I played a lot of Arena when it was open, I don't understand why they closed it for so long.
I really don't see any major changes between this version and the one from ages ago. I have no idea what they've been doing other than integrating Wargaming's systems into the client, but that can't have taken *that* long.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
Are there more factions and stuff? Half the appeal of the game for me was how it could mix time periods, but before it was basically just Rome II: Lite.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Koramei posted:

Are there more factions and stuff? Half the appeal of the game for me was how it could mix time periods, but before it was basically just Rome II: Lite.

Still Rome II: Lite. It is fun but they got some issues to work out.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Mans posted:

As a other people said, the Huns are portrayed in-game as these exelent horse archers. However their big secret is that they have equally good foot archers, infantry and shock cavalry.

Which means the big secret the Huns have is that they are simply curbstompingly good :v:

I like how the Huns are good at everything, because everyone hates you and you get bonuses for being at war anyway, so I'm always at war with half the known world and outnumbered in basically every battle as I burn the world beneath my horses' hooves.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

I love the period of Attila but the turn times are absurdly long and I don't think the actual game... works, like the campaign AI is even more braindead than usual. I always install it and get hyped then get really frustrated when I just cut through Rome or any other rival like a knife through butter as they don't even try to defend their settlements.

I was without internet for a couple weeks recently and just played Divide Et Impera for Rome 2 for days on end, with the DeI softcore mod and Faster Battles V2 (why do all TWC fans demand the slowest possible battles?) Despite also having absurdly long turn times gently caress I love that mod. Its kinda ruined Warhammer Total War for me, I dig the streamlining a lot but it also vastly reduces the amount of thinking to be done per turn which is basically the whole reason I play strategy games and also... the ancient world is vastly cooler than Warhammer and I say that as a recovering plastic addict.

DeI now simulates population and social class in fun ways, I played as Sparta and they seem to accurately model how few spartans were free citizens so your troops trash other state's hoplites but you can barely recruit any because almost all of your population are helot slaves you refuse to arm for obvious reasons. All factions have 1st class, 2nd class and 3rd class citizen pops as well as foreigners and they affect recruitment in different ways from faction to faction.

And of course the regional recruitment stuff thats been in for years is really cool, conquer numidia for their cav, rhodes for their slingers, crete for their archers etc, especially once you get Roman Auxillary barracks and can start pumping out better versions of local troops.

Also the regional food system means you can starve your enemies to death and have to rotate your armies between your breadbasket regions and newly captured regions if you want them to replenish.

I love historical reskins too, Attila has Fall of the Eagles i think which is unfinished tragically but has some lovely units in it. Its really nice being able to zoom in and get a feel for the people and region you're playing/fighting compared to CA's "everyone looks the same, all barbarians are shirtless with 3 hairstyles" deal. Its nice just having teams of modders gradually replace everything with poo poo from actual sources as much as possible.

Currently playing as the Scythians in DeI though and having these long, brutal skirmishing fights with the bosphoran greeks and I'm not sure whether I want to plunge west to conquer Greece, swamping their slow, heavily armoured infantry in horse archers or east into the persian successors who will have powerful cavalry and bow infantry but light armour or south into Africa where everyone is naked and vulnerable to missiles but basically every soldier is also an archer.
Or hell, journey to Britain and conquer some swamp folks.

tl;dr, DeI owns bones, new update is great. Probably the best TW has ever been. If only the turn/load times weren't insane it'd be the perfect game.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Do you have it on an SSD?

I finally got around to transferring Total Warhammer to one and my load times went from multiple minutes to like fifteen seconds. It's absurd what a difference it makes.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Rome 2 at launch had ridiculous turn times no matter what. I think a large part of that was badly optimized code for AI decision making.

The algorithm behind it is actually quite interesting.
http://aigamedev.com/open/coverage/mcts-rome-ii/

nopantsjack posted:

"everyone looks the same, all barbarians are shirtless with 3 hairstyles"

Even though it's uninteresting, it still makes me laugh that the shirtless mustache guys look like Victorian era bare-knuckle boxers

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

Do you have it on an SSD?

I finally got around to transferring Total Warhammer to one and my load times went from multiple minutes to like fifteen seconds. It's absurd what a difference it makes.

Yeah, sadly it doesnt really help the old games, it makes a big difference for TW:WH though yeah.

TW;WH is in general MUCH better technically than any of the older games, finally being 64bit and utilising SSDs.

I really wish it worked the same for Rome 2, spent most of my evening slowly enroaching towards Serbia as the Scythians, taking a couple hours for like 20 turns, then stuck on warhammer for an hour and got a long way into a Chaos campaign.

I am now becoming everything I ever hated though and when I play warhammer I'm like "these battles are just too fast!". DeI has a bit of a problem where basically skirmishers firing into the rear is the ONLY thing that kills/routs with any speed so every battle becomes that, but the battles do feel lengthy and tough and I like knowing even my terrible spearmen are gonna hold long enough to roll up the line. Whereas in Warhammer it kinda feels like everything bashes into eachother and rapidly disintegrates into a mess.

TBF I've played a truly insane amount of TW:WH this year, basically every possible team with every possible goal with every possible mod so maybe I'm just burnt out.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

canyoneer posted:

Rome 2 at launch had ridiculous turn times no matter what. I think a large part of that was badly optimized code for AI decision making.

The algorithm behind it is actually quite interesting.
http://aigamedev.com/open/coverage/mcts-rome-ii/

Even though it's uninteresting, it still makes me laugh that the shirtless mustache guys look like Victorian era bare-knuckle boxers

Too bad the actual recording of the presentation isn't available. Monte-Carlo Tree Search is something I've read about a bit; I'm interested in where the limitations come in. R2 campaign AI made a lot of really strange decisions, I'd like to know how they really set up the weighting and such on stuff like army recruitment and province management. Something to explain the whole phenomenon of "i have six stacks of pure skirmisher armies, and all of them are starving" of early R2 AI and what they did to correct it.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Yeah, AIGameDev used to be a loving fascinating site but most of their poo poo hasn't archived or is inaccessible due to one reason or another and it's frustrating. They had an AI sandbox you could play with but the site and all the stuff associated with it are dead and gone.

Ivan Shitskin
Nov 29, 2002

nopantsjack posted:

(why do all TWC fans demand the slowest possible battles?)

Total War has always been such a strange series to me, due to the game devs putting an absolutely ridiculous amount of effort and work into producing these amazing and cinematic graphics and animations, with thousands of detailed 3D dudes jumping around and fighting and stabbing each other with slick motion-captured animations, but when you actually play the game, you can never even see that stuff because well, you're too busy playing the game. You're too busy zoomed out clicking on troops and ordering them around and watching your flanks to ever be able to just sit and watch the battles.

I never played Rome 2 or Attila, but most of the battles in the TW games I've played would be over in less than a minute after the two sides meet, after a flanking cavalry charge causes a chain rout or something. So there have been times when I've installed slower battle mods myself, just so I can sit back and drink beer and watch battles. I've only really played these games for the battles anyway. The campaigns are always so lovely, with every single game having completely broken AI. I don't think I've ever finished a campaign in any TW game.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Kenzie posted:

Total War has always been such a strange series to me, due to the game devs putting an absolutely ridiculous amount of effort and work into producing these amazing and cinematic graphics and animations, with thousands of detailed 3D dudes jumping around and fighting and stabbing each other with slick motion-captured animations, but when you actually play the game, you can never even see that stuff because well, you're too busy playing the game. You're too busy zoomed out clicking on troops and ordering them around and watching your flanks to ever be able to just sit and watch the battles.

I never played Rome 2 or Attila, but most of the battles in the TW games I've played would be over in less than a minute after the two sides meet, after a flanking cavalry charge causes a chain rout or something. So there have been times when I've installed slower battle mods myself, just so I can sit back and drink beer and watch battles. I've only really played these games for the battles anyway. The campaigns are always so lovely, with every single game having completely broken AI. I don't think I've ever finished a campaign in any TW game.

Super agreed. Total War is fascinating because the way it's advertised and nominally designed is often completely at odds with how it's played. Creative Assembly would do really well to spend an entire design generation focusing on gameplay development, balanced replayability, and AI competency. The graphics are beautiful and there's a wide diversity of units/buildings/tech paths, but 9/10ths of the game is spent zoomed way out, making the same obvious upgrade choices, and seeing the AI make the same stupid mistakes over and over.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
But then we wouldn't be able to yell about reloading animations being removed from Empire handgunners in Warhammer.

Give me a cleaned up medieval 2 system with wasd controls and better unit pathing.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Arcsquad12 posted:

But then we wouldn't be able to yell about reloading animations being removed from Empire handgunners in Warhammer.

Give me a cleaned up medieval 2 system with wasd controls and better unit pathing.

reduce the number of agents and im down

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dukket
Apr 28, 2007
So I says to her, I says “LADY, that ain't OIL, its DIRT!!”
A possibility stupid question: twme2 is there any way to see a list of who you have trade rights with?