Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

mikeycp posted:

you should learn mahjong better at least. It's a fun game once you learn it!

I actually love playing Mahjong but I'm really, really bad at winning in the ways they want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

Policenaut posted:

I actually love playing Mahjong but I'm really, really bad at winning in the ways they want.

oh. yeah. they do ask a lot. i only got the seven pairs they wanted out of it essentially falling to me at the deal.

gyrobot
Nov 16, 2011

Ratoslov posted:

I feel whiplash between Original Script Majima, who is a psychotic lunatic who'll try to kill his subordinates on a whim, and Majima Everywhere Majima, who is Kiryu's wacky murder fun-buddy who's willing to hide all goddamn day in a giant traffic cone for the sake of a gag.

That is part of the whole influence Beat Takeshi had on Yakuza. If you want nonstop gritty crime with little to no comic relief watch the Wire or Breaking Bad.

Majima is Beat Takeshi before he appeared as Hirose

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Beat Takeshi owns except for that time he said bad things about women :(

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

The Champion Cup of Pocket Circuit is total bullshit. If you set up your car for any sort of speed, you'll usually fall off the track in the first three seconds and have to start over (which, of course, involves talking to the Pocket Circuit guy and going through a bunch of menus every time), and if you set it up for not falling off the track immediately, you'll be too slow to keep up with the opponents and have to start over. :shepface:

The few guides I found online said this race is pretty much entirely luck-based, so that's great.

whip
Apr 9, 2007

by Lowtax

Doc Morbid posted:

The Champion Cup of Pocket Circuit is total bullshit. If you set up your car for any sort of speed, you'll usually fall off the track in the first three seconds and have to start over (which, of course, involves talking to the Pocket Circuit guy and going through a bunch of menus every time), and if you set it up for not falling off the track immediately, you'll be too slow to keep up with the opponents and have to start over. :shepface:

The few guides I found online said this race is pretty much entirely luck-based, so that's great.

Yeah you basically have to watch the video and make the setup, then it's a 50/50 on whether you're going to fall off the track when boosting to get ahead. It sucks

hamburgers in pockets
Jun 18, 2005

Yeah, that's blood. It'll get better before the show.
Sounds kinda like the final race against Fighter in Y0. I found a guide online with a specific loadout that kept me about half a lap behind him the entire race, including using up all of my gauge to stabilize the car twice, and the only way to beat him was to activate my boost at a very specific point in the last lap to push ahead of him at the finish line with about 0.3 seconds to spare.

Slot car racing's as fun as it is bullshit, basically.

Copper For Lyfe
Jun 1, 2011

man nurse posted:

I'm having trouble getting Majima to show up anymore. I got a text saying he's at Shine, but whenever I go there it just gives me Rina. What do?

I asked the same question earlier. Hes under a giant traffic cone across the road from Smile Burger

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

man nurse posted:

I'm having trouble getting Majima to show up anymore. I got a text saying he's at Shine, but whenever I go there it just gives me Rina. What do?

I kept getting Rina until one time I didn't. :shrug:

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
Do NOT try to do pocket racing legit, follow a guide to the letter. Anything else is inviting misery into your life

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Rank C Majima gives you so much experience, at least for chapter 5 lol but can also just decide to gently caress your poo poo up if he wants

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

Bicycles continue to be weapons of mass destruction on the streets of Kamurocho.

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!

Sakurazuka posted:

Rank C Majima gives you so much experience, at least for chapter 5 lol but can also just decide to gently caress your poo poo up if he wants

I haven't really had any issue fighting him so far. Just doing basic Brawler 4 chain into triangle is good enough, or Beast when lots of items around. Majima hasn't (and hopefully doesn't) got a "gonna do extreme damage" mode like Mr. Shakedown.

Doing the Coliseum feels like a slog this time around though trying to get the pictures for Komaki (which are from Kenzan!)

KingShiro fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Sep 2, 2017

imweasel09
May 26, 2014

How do I unlock the hostess club? I've tried to go there and it just tells me that I should check the MEB. Something online said that was the lotto ticket booth next to millennium tower but I go there and can't do anything.

FutureFriend
Dec 28, 2011

imweasel09 posted:

How do I unlock the hostess club? I've tried to go there and it just tells me that I should check the MEB. Something online said that was the lotto ticket booth next to millennium tower but I go there and can't do anything.

MEB is on the north of Kamurocho, right around the centre of Shichifuku Street. ask the dude who works there about either of the clubs and tell him to guide you there, should unlock both clubs

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

There's gotta be one more bell to crack
Fun Shoe

CharlestonJew posted:

Do NOT try to do pocket racing legit, follow a guide to the letter. Anything else is inviting misery into your life

What's a good guide for Kiwami's race car stuff?

Ceramics
May 26, 2014

Ryuga Death posted:

What's a good guide for Kiwami's race car stuff?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQiB8T8m_9I

Just jump to the race your at with the time stamps and look at what he chooses.

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

Well, I just finished off Yakuza Kiwami, with 22.5 hours on the clock and 27% completion. I'll probably mess around some in Premium Adventure Mode, but I usually don't play those modes for long. I have a game of FF13 that I paused in the middle of Gran Pulse to play Yakuza, and some golfing to do as well.

Goddamn, though. The fight with Nishki was a hell of a time to be figuring out how to use the block button. Maybe I should start playing these games more carefully.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The worst thing about never using block is that approx 50% of the skills are 'make Beast mode resist guard better'.

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

Sakurazuka posted:

The worst thing about never using block is that approx 50% of the skills are 'make Beast mode resist guard better'.

Yeah. I had bought almost all of them for lack of other things to spend XP on, which turned out to be good, since I went into that fight with one good and three cheap Stanimans left. Got a couple from the battlefield but I had used them all by the end. I would have laughed and jumped up and down when I won but it was 3am and I didn't want to wake everyone up.

I'm still mulling over whether to replay Yakuza 3 next or to skip to 4. I guess it is all up to whether I still have the clear file or not... all right, I just went and checked, and yeah, I have it. You keep your items, abilities and money, right? I'd like to see the story again -- I remember just a bit of it.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Oh hey, this game fixes poker so it doesn't crash like Y0. There goes a few hours of time.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

atholbrose posted:

Yeah. I had bought almost all of them for lack of other things to spend XP on, which turned out to be good, since I went into that fight with one good and three cheap Stanimans left. Got a couple from the battlefield but I had used them all by the end. I would have laughed and jumped up and down when I won but it was 3am and I didn't want to wake everyone up.

I'm still mulling over whether to replay Yakuza 3 next or to skip to 4. I guess it is all up to whether I still have the clear file or not... all right, I just went and checked, and yeah, I have it. You keep your items, abilities and money, right? I'd like to see the story again -- I remember just a bit of it.

3 is good, so you should not skip it.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Fix posted:

Oh hey, this game fixes poker so it doesn't crash like Y0. There goes a few hours of time.

They actually did fix that in Zero a patch or two ago. Finally.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

CharlestonJew posted:

I wasn't using a guide for most of it and won almost every race on the first or second attempt, so it's not that bad in general. Champion Cup is where you'll hit a brick wall regardless of how good you are at setting up the car, because like I said, if the car's fast enough to win the race, it will also fly right off the track whenever the game feels like it.

Cinnamon Bear
Aug 29, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Is it better to play Kiwami or Zero first if you've never played a Yakuza game before?

vv Thanks!

Cinnamon Bear fucked around with this message at 12:44 on Sep 2, 2017

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Kiwami seems to assume you've played Zero first despite being a remake of the very first game so I'm gonna go with Zero.

GlenMR
Dec 11, 2005

What is this emotion called "criminal negligence"?
I played Zero first, and am maybe halfway through Kiwami now, and it feels like a pretty natural progression, at least story-wise.

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

Doc Morbid posted:

Does Kiwami not have the test trial mode like Zero?

That was extremely helpful for me
I'd do the race once figure out the time to beat then tweak my setup to beat it. There arent any animations or cutscenes to interrupt you. And you can stop a run at any time

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Is the colourful parasol particularly useful as a weapon because I can get like ¥1000000 for selling it...

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Ludwig van Halen posted:

Does Kiwami not have the test trial mode like Zero?

That was extremely helpful for me
I'd do the race once figure out the time to beat then tweak my setup to beat it. There arent any animations or cutscenes to interrupt you. And you can stop a run at any time
The test run is still there and I've been making extensive use of it, but the problem with the Champion Cup is that there is literally no middle ground between "too slow to compete" and "cartwheel into the scenery on the first jump". I played around with various setups for at least a couple of hours and came to the conclusion that 53 speed is the absolute maximum you can have if you want to reliably keep the car on the track. Anything past that and it doesn't matter how many handling mods you put on the car, you will fall off unless the RNG has mercy on you. However, you need at least 60 speed to even be able to keep up with the opponents.

whip
Apr 9, 2007

by Lowtax

Sakurazuka posted:

Is the colourful parasol particularly useful as a weapon because I can get like ¥1000000 for selling it...

You can make hella money by selling those swords you can get from fighting arena or gambling. Once you finish Majima everywhere you end up with his tanto and he gives you a bat too. These are the only real weapons you need since they're infinite

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Real yakuza do the Heat Action for a weapon once and then punch their way through the game :colbert:

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there

Fat Samurai posted:

Real yakuza do the Heat Action for a weapon once and then punch their way through the game :colbert:

Kiryu isn't a yakuza for most of this game :kamina:

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY
I'm about 10 hours into this now and I still haven't met Haruka because I'm getting so lost in side poo poo. I spent literal hours last night playing mahjong, and I still only barely understand what I'm doing. I finish second in Intermediate pretty consistently, but I'm not going to make any money that way.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I'm on like 35% completion and I haven't finished chapter 5 lol

whip
Apr 9, 2007

by Lowtax

SpacePig posted:

I'm about 10 hours into this now and I still haven't met Haruka because I'm getting so lost in side poo poo. I spent literal hours last night playing mahjong, and I still only barely understand what I'm doing. I finish second in Intermediate pretty consistently, but I'm not going to make any money that way.

You can make more money by playing blackjack and roulette but you won't unlock those until later. I did all the sidequests in premium adventure after beating the game. It was so much easier that way where you can control everything

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!

Captain Walker posted:

Kiryu isn't a yakuza for most of this game series :kamina:

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Sakurazuka posted:

I'm on like 35% completion and I haven't finished chapter 5 lol

Haha yeah I'm on Chapter 4 and I've finished all the 10 cost abilities and over like 40 substories and done Pocket Circuit in its entirety. I love this kind of open world.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
I've been wandering around doing substories until I hit the progress breakpoint for Majima Everywhere, then continuing the story until he feels like playing with me again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Sounds like everyone is pretty much doing it the same. As soon as this thing opened up it was time to ignore the story completely.

Where do you get sake for the drunk in the park? I checked all the stores.