Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Hang on, using cluster munitions in an urban environment?

Waaaaaaarcriiiiiiiimeeeees

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NobleSixFour
Jul 12, 2016
Miscellaneous stuff:

-Crow, didn't someone in an earlier thread say that the Marigold was an Iowa?

-I believe this ace's paint is based on the TF-15A prototype; someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

-Whoever said Shamrock's canon plane was an F-16, after seeing the box art, I now completely agree.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Cooked Auto posted:

It's fine, clearly all the bomblets exploded and there aren't any remaining undetonated munitions littering multiple square kilometers of the ground.

Remember, explosions only work on uniformed combatants! I mean, a giant man made space structure was destroyed piecemeal over the Osean capital and no one got hurt. Same principle.

LeadSled
Jan 7, 2008

Cooked Auto posted:

Cluster munitions in a city AND an ecological catastrophe from the oil spills.

Truly the spirit of Cipher lives on.

Thefluffy
Sep 7, 2014
"we'll set up a bridgehead at the beach" :confused:

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

NobleSixFour posted:

Miscellaneous stuff:

It's got no guns. Looks like a pure missile boat.

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

I consider this to be this games greatest crime- they set up an homage to Kelly's Heroes, and do nothing with it.

McKnight has too many negative waves, anyway.

Thefluffy
Sep 7, 2014
in my opinion the best way to do this game is to hammer out one operation like you did and then do the second one but spare the last 2 or so targets and then do the third one competely.
kinda like that dead LP of silent storm sentinels where they pull a similar mission quota poo poo: do one mission, do another mission but fail at the very last part after looting everything and then continue with actual game play.

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.
But ma'am! Jones' only crime was looking at the wrong files!
I beg of you, don't ship away Jones, he has a wife and kids!

-United Nations Intelligence Service

Not going to lie folks; I'm of the mind that the last 10 minutes of this video are probably the most fun I've had commenting on this LP.

Don't get me wrong, I've enjoyed being a co-commentator, but the tail end of this video was just the best.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
And once again, the Strangereal Global Environmentalists' Conference is marked by periodic bursts of sobbing and burning a flight suit wearing effigy.

Thefluffy
Sep 7, 2014

goatface posted:

It's got no guns. Looks like a pure missile boat.

a missile boat is the most sane choice in a world where airpower is 95% of war. What I don't get is why they just don't go full north korea and strap MANPADS to every tank and apc too. :v:

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

NobleSixFour posted:

Miscellaneous stuff:

-I believe this ace's paint is based on the TF-15A prototype; someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

-Whoever said Shamrock's canon plane was an F-16, after seeing the box art, I now completely agree.

The Marigold is actually based off the Iowa's cold-war nemesis, the Soviet Kirov-Class Battlecruiser. A handful of Iowas do show up later, but they're all Estovakian and you have to sink them.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

LeadSled posted:

Cythereal posted:

And once again, the Strangereal Global Environmentalists' Conference is marked by periodic bursts of sobbing and burning a flight suit wearing effigy.

Don't forget about the oil storage tanks blown up by that Allied Support near the end of Operation C as well, that stuff must've burned up real good and put tons of crap into the air.

Also, classic inadvertent Blue on Blue on Shamrock there going after that Nimrod. His angel must have not been dancing with him at that time.

Made even better by the face plant into the desert because of wanting to set up the GBU kill cam on the last target. Man, that was some karma there.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
Huh, that was a good history lesson on the word Nimrod. Did you just happen to know that offhand Crow? :v:

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

I wanna say it came up in the 5 thread, though I don't remember if Crow was the one dropping the story there as well.

Also if we're just spoiling poo poo about the Nosferatu now then you guys should have mentioned the Angelic Disco Ball that is it's 3rd special weapon. When you activate it, it makes every other plane drop what it's doing and engage in an aerobatic dance.

Psycho Landlord fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Sep 2, 2017

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Bad Idea Challenge: take a shot every time the briefing officer says "mainland" at the start. You'll be unconscious before the mission begins!

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Psion posted:

Bad Idea Challenge: take a shot every time the briefing officer says "mainland" at the start. You'll be unconscious before the mission begins!

The briefing officer has always been very strange in his choice of language and how he speaks, but he seems even more like an insect wearing a human suit in this game.

WampaPartyEX
Jan 13, 2012
This is a great thread and a great series of LPs, and I wanted to do my part to honor it.

ARC WORDS posted:

Demon soars through dark skies,
All held, the finite and infinite.
None could forsee that the history of the two would become one.
Conviction. Resolve. Without beginning or
End, the ring stretches into the infinite.

Where was it?
In whose keeping?
There was no air then, nor heavens beyond it.
His blood and madness soon cover the earth.

The Demon sleeps; man turns on man. The flames of
Hatred scorch the skies. Then nothingness was not, nor
Existence.

Amidst the eternal waves of time,
Nothing else comes close.
Gaia's funeral pyre. Out of the abyss peer
Eyes of a demon - the Razgriz, its black wings ablaze in majestic
Light. Yo, Buddy; You
Still Alive? Then go dance with the angels, mister.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Im tired from all this dsncing with angels. Im just going to lie down for a bit.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

LeadSled posted:

I look forward to the next episode of "Cipher Phoenix Nemo Mobius One Blaze Talisman's Big Goddamn List of War Crimes".

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

AradoBalanga posted:

I look forward to the next episode of "Cipher Phoenix Nemo Mobius One Blaze Talisman's Big Goddamn List of War Crimes".

Talisman really is Warcrimes the Pilot, which makes the whole silent protagonist thing even creepier, in a way.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Psion posted:

Talisman really is Warcrimes the Pilot, which makes the whole silent protagonist thing even creepier, in a way.

I was about to say that Talisman isn't as bad as Mercenary Cipher but then I remembered all the FAEs I dropped on cities when I owned this game, so nevermind :v:

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Psycho Landlord posted:

I was about to say that Talisman isn't as bad as Mercenary Cipher but then I remembered all the FAEs I dropped on cities when I owned this game, so nevermind :v:

I feel like the part where Talisman is, for example, dropping cluster munitions on Emmerian oil rigs, probably causing more damage than the initial Estovakian assault (which, let's remind everyone, involved airburst cruise missiles) puts it over the top. It's not like Cipher was blowing up their own country, but drat if AC6 doesn't let Talisman do it.

e: Not just nimbus cruises, now that I think about it. This was all over the Emmerian capital city, which was already undergoing a full scale invasion with armored vehicles, strategic bombers, and paratroopers and then they just raised the stakes with the missiles. :v:

Psion fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Sep 3, 2017

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Psion posted:

I feel like the part where Talisman is, for example, dropping cluster munitions on Emmerian oil rigs, probably causing more damage than the initial Estovakian assault (which, let's remind everyone, involved airburst cruise missiles) puts it over the top. It's not like Cipher was blowing up their own country, but drat if AC6 doesn't let Talisman do it.

I am reminded of Cooked Auto's HAWX LP where he dropped cluster bombs on the capitol building in Washington DC. :v:

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Cythereal posted:

I am reminded of Cooked Auto's HAWX LP where he dropped cluster bombs on the capitol building in Washington DC. :v:

yet another reason why assault horizon is an underrated game in the franchise :colbert:

AirborneNinja
Jul 27, 2009

Psion posted:

yet another reason why assault horizon is an underrated game in the franchise :colbert:

Nah

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.
But ma'am! Jones' only crime was looking at the wrong files!
I beg of you, don't ship away Jones, he has a wife and kids!

-United Nations Intelligence Service

Psion posted:

e: Not just nimbus cruises, now that I think about it. This was all over the Emmerian capital city, which was already undergoing a full scale invasion with armored vehicles, strategic bombers, and paratroopers and then they just raised the stakes with the missiles. :v:

Like I said in the video, that's probably millions of *insert currency here* worth of damage between the destruction of the rigs and the gallons of lost oil, all during an operation to retake said oil field, and that's before you factor in environmental damage like other posters pointed out.

What the gently caress, Talisman.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Dr. Snark posted:

Like I said in the video, that's probably millions of *insert currency here* worth of damage between the destruction of the rigs and the gallons of lost oil, all during an operation to retake said oil field, and that's before you factor in environmental damage like other posters pointed out.

Maybe if these air forces didn't all make you pay for your own planes and pay based on targets destroyed this wouldn't happen.

Emmeria is another victim of Area 88.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Dr. Snark posted:

I don't know who actually designates things as targets - boring briefing guy maybe - but I feel confident we can blame Shamrock for it somehow.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Psion posted:

I feel confident we can blame Shamrock for it somehow.

This really should have been the subtitle for this LP, but taxes were due.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

I'm thinking about redoing the lyrics to "Blame Canada" and making it "Blame Shamrock"

it ... actually works

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
The war DJ has a very important job in this game. You can't dance with anyone without any tunes, much less an angel. If you just had the phrase without the pirate radio station, ultimately you'd have nothing.

Just nothing.

HereticMIND
Nov 4, 2012

Shinjobi posted:

The war DJ has a very important job in this game. You can't dance with anyone without any tunes, much less an angel. If you just had the phrase without the pirate radio station, ultimately you'd have nothing.

Just nothing.

...I already paid my dues, dammit! You're not gonna make me double dip! It ain't happening!

Go in the corner and think about what you did! Then maybe you can cut a rug with some celestial folk.

God-loving-dammit, that's another tax.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Son, you ain't even doing the Spirit Salsa, much less a Tango with God's Messengers.

Get into these double digits, then you can talk about the Holy Hand Jive :colbert:

HereticMIND
Nov 4, 2012

Psycho Landlord posted:

Son, you ain't even doing the Spirit Salsa, much less a Tango with God's Messengers.

Get into these double digits, then you can talk about the Holy Hand Jive :colbert:

Not everyone is as crazy/suicidal as you are, man. Some of us still have our sanity!

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Cythereal posted:

Well I reasoned I might as well go all the way with it. v:v:v
Could've sworn I dropped one on the White House as well.

Thefluffy
Sep 7, 2014
let's be fair, the only air combat game I and I assume most of you people have seen where they actually punish you for bombing civvies is strike fighters 2. And only if you bomb a mosque! :v:

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Apparently I've been dancing with angels this whole time. I've dodged my taxes at least thrice already.

Time to make a world without mod....ers. Give me some time, I'll have a better name for the group later.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NobleSixFour
Jul 12, 2016

Cythereal posted:

The briefing officer has always been very strange in his choice of language and how he speaks, but he seems even more like an insect wearing a human suit in this game.

Two of my favorite first lines of briefings:

"Then I'll give you the lowdown on our mission"

"I'll be relaying orders to you from now on" (Not the first mission)

E:

Cythereal posted:

One of my favorite memories from back in like 2014 (when, for some reason, there was still usually one or two co-op campaign sessions of HAWX being hosted on the 360 at any given time) is the time me and three randos did that mission and then in the post mission exposition part one of them said "Who wants to come with me and bomb the, the...you know...the military thing. The five thing." By accent and other vocal properties, he definitely appeared to be an adult American.

NobleSixFour fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Sep 3, 2017