Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

I don't want Kanan to die, but that trailer might as well have been called "Three minutes of Kanan Death Flags" :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lorak
Apr 7, 2009

Well, there goes the Hall of Fame...
Star Wars: The Quest for More Wolves.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
This season will be good.

This season will also be bad because it is the last.

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
I kinda have this feeling like Ghost being in Rogue One is a red herring, and that Rogue One falls in the middle of the chronology of this season. Everybody Dies at the end of the season the same way they did in Rogue One to tie everything up in a nice little bow.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Chickenwalker posted:

I kinda have this feeling like Ghost being in Rogue One is a red herring, and that Rogue One falls in the middle of the chronology of this season. Everybody Dies at the end of the season the same way they did in Rogue One to tie everything up in a nice little bow.

Eh, seems odd to me that they'd make a big deal about "your Jedi friend" if Ezra and Kanan were right there and available. I mean, sure, they could be away on Jedi business (maybe the spirit quest thingy with the wolves or something?) but equally it could be that they're both dead or disabled by the time Rogue One happens.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

AAAHAHAHHHHAHAHAH WE FINALLY GET X-WINGS :neckbeard:

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Aces High posted:

Likely Wedge and Hobbie in those X-Wings too :woop:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Aces High posted:

Project Stardust is going to be the X-Wings, considering it's a "threat to the TIE Defenders". In the Legends canon they were originally built by InCom for the Empire, until the design team decided gently caress that and absconded with the prototypes to the Rebellion.

Gervasius
Nov 2, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Project Stardust is going to be the X-Wings, considering it's a "threat to the TIE Defenders". In the Legends canon they were originally built by InCom for the Empire, until the design team decided gently caress that and absconded with the prototypes to the Rebellion.

Project Stardust is the Death Star. Probably competed for funding with Defender project.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Gervasius posted:

Project Stardust is the Death Star. Probably competed for funding with Defender project.

Oh that's right, it was in Rogue One :cripes:.

Though Project Stardust was probably competing for funding with every project.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

jng2058 posted:

Eh, seems odd to me that they'd make a big deal about "your Jedi friend" if Ezra and Kanan were right there and available. I mean, sure, they could be away on Jedi business (maybe the spirit quest thingy with the wolves or something?) but equally it could be that they're both dead or disabled by the time Rogue One happens.

The assumption is that Bail was talking about Obi-Wan, which is why Leia is headed there.

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!

jng2058 posted:

Kenobi easily outclassed Kanan and Ezra. That's probably why it's a big deal.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Krennick being mentioned makes me think we might see him in this season.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Death Star being a massive resource hog is also a sensible explanation for why we don't see more TIE Defenders later. Especially if the heroes succeed in blowing up the Lothal factory.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

twistedmentat posted:

The assumption is that Bail was talking about Obi-Wan, which is why Leia is headed there.

Obviously. But why do you need to send for Kenobi if Kanan and Ezra are available?

Pops Mgee posted:

Kenobi easily outclassed Kanan and Ezra. That's probably why it's a big deal.

But does he? Does he still? Kenobi's been sitting in the desert for twenty years at this point. Kanan and Ezra have been lightsabering it up on behalf of the Alliance for years now, including running into Vader a couple of times and walking away alive...something that Kenobi will fail to do in Star Wars! Sure, Old Ben one-shots Maul...but no one knows that.

All I'm saying is that if Kana and Ezra were around it makes more sense to call them in, rather than send Leia all the way to Tattooine. The fact thet they didn't suggests to me that they can't call Kanan and Ezra, which means they're either busy, out of the game, or dead.

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005
I always figured they were like the F-22, they're best in class but were super expensive. The Assault Gunboat on the other hand is clearly a compromised product, it can sorta dogfight, sorta attack capital ships and the Imperial Marines insisted on that weird VTOL capability that melts the decks of their landing barges.

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

jng2058 posted:

Obviously. But why do you need to send for Kenobi if Kanan and Ezra are available?

But does he? Does he still? Kenobi's been sitting in the desert for twenty years at this point. Kanan and Ezra have been lightsabering it up on behalf of the Alliance for years now, including running into Vader a couple of times and walking away alive...something that Kenobi will fail to do in Star Wars! Sure, Old Ben one-shots Maul...but no one knows that.

All I'm saying is that if Kana and Ezra were around it makes more sense to call them in, rather than send Leia all the way to Tattooine. The fact thet they didn't suggests to me that they can't call Kanan and Ezra, which means they're either busy, out of the game, or dead.

Kenobi has:

1. Experience in leading a war. The man was one of the most successful Jedi generals during the Clone Wars, with quite a battle-winning resume. He's invaluable as an officer.

2. Going off that, fame. Kenobi was well known, and him coming back from the dead to fight for the rebels would be a morale and PR coup.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

J33uk posted:

I always figured they were like the F-22, they're best in class but were super expensive. The Assault Gunboat on the other hand is clearly a compromised product, it can sorta dogfight, sorta attack capital ships and the Imperial Marines insisted on that weird VTOL capability that melts the decks of their landing barges.

They wanted everything, but got left with a solid long-range attacker, so more F-111 than F-35.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

twistedmentat posted:

Krennick being mentioned makes me think we might see him in this season.

Sadly not gonna happen, according to this EW interview:

quote:

The new trailer drops a familiar name from that film: Director Orson Krennic, the Death Star special weapons supervisor, who was played by Ben Mendelsohn. Don’t expect to see the character in the series, however.

“Name-dropping,” Filoni explains. “It’s always fun to make it feel like it’s part of this big world … But the cape alone would be half my budget, just to make it flow.”

Filoni says he once envisioned a grand scene uniting many of the best of the worst from Star Wars. “I was imagining a shot with Vader and Krennic and the Emperor, but it’s like having a cape convention with those guys,” he jokes. “Then you have Tarkin and Thrawn, and it starts too look like a Legion of Bad Guys. When you get too many bizarre Star Wars villains together, I don’t know if it works for me.”

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
In the future, the human resistance will defeat Skynet with the power of capes and flowing hair.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Cross-Section posted:

Sounds like we won't see a Mofference, then. Very disappointing.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Madurai posted:

They wanted everything, but got left with a solid long-range attacker, so more F-111 than F-35.

So what does that make the Missile Boat?

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Oh that's right, it was in Rogue One :cripes:.

Though Project Stardust was probably competing for funding with every project.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Death Star being a massive resource hog is also a sensible explanation for why we don't see more TIE Defenders later. Especially if the heroes succeed in blowing up the Lothal factory.

"The Death Star is a paper tiger that literally blows up in the Empire's face" is a plot point in three Post-Disney EU stories I can recall and probably a bunch more I can't recall and I'm loving it :allears:

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Urdnot Fire posted:

Sounds like we won't see a Mofference, then. Very disappointing.
My current headcanon is that members of the Knights of Ren say "I bid you dark greetings!" when gathering

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Lord Cyrahzax posted:

Kenobi has:

1. Experience in leading a war. The man was one of the most successful Jedi generals during the Clone Wars, with quite a battle-winning resume. He's invaluable as an officer.

2. Going off that, fame. Kenobi was well known, and him coming back from the dead to fight for the rebels would be a morale and PR coup.

Also Kenobi belatedly killed Maul in three moves, don't forget

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Yeah but nobody else was there to see that.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Also I imagine that Projects Stardust and Defender are competing with every other Imperial project for the budget left over after Project Sheev Pimp Mobile, aka the SSD

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

DarklyDreaming posted:

"The Death Star is a paper tiger that literally blows up in the Empire's face" is a plot point in three Post-Disney EU stories I can recall and probably a bunch more I can't recall and I'm loving it :allears:

Three?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

NTRabbit posted:

Also Kenobi belatedly killed Maul in three moves, don't forget

He pretty much defeated him when he changed to Qui Gonn's opening stance, it was a foregone conclusion from that point. :v:

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Aces High posted:

So what does that make the Missile Boat?

The F-111B

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

J33uk posted:

No, the compromise is the TIE Interceptor. It's a superior aerospace-superiority starfighter to the TIE/LN, but it's much cheaper without the extra toys like a Hyperdrive or Shields.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Cross-Section posted:

That's too bad. I really enjoyed Rogue one and wanted to see more of its characters. Saw's crew isn't the same thing. I'm going to assume that Cassian and K-2S0 aren't going to show up either.

I like how the Empire is being shown to be more like Nazi Germany than just dressing snazzy and oppressing anyone who isn't a white human, they're also having its desingers and industry compeating for funds for their crazy projects. The best thing is the Death Star is a complete turkey and its resources could have been better used to make SSDS, regular SDs and Defenders. But the Death Star is such a perfect symbol of what Palpatine wants to project. Massive Overwhelming power.

Historical Context, the Panzer IV and Panther were more than good enough to deal with Allied and Soviet tanks if they had kept developing them to iron out all the kinks, but Hitler loved big rear end tanks so he forcused resources into Tigers and KonigsTigers rather than perfecting the already good tanks. Not to mention the Maus tank.

twistedmentat fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Sep 4, 2017

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

NTRabbit posted:

Also I imagine that Projects Stardust and Defender are competing with every other Imperial project for the budget left over after Project Sheev Pimp Mobile, aka the SSD

Nah, Death Star was #1. General Tagge gets pissy later bitching about how many SSDs could've been built for the resources thrown into that mini moon.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
Huh?

https://makingstarwars.net/2017/09/star-wars-rebels-will-now-air-1230-monday/

Strange. XD trying to burn Rebels off because of crap ratings?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Teek posted:

Huh?

https://makingstarwars.net/2017/09/star-wars-rebels-will-now-air-1230-monday/

Strange. XD trying to burn Rebels off because of crap ratings?

I mean...this is the last season; they don't have to really worry about ratings.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

I wonder how this impacts the early-release online streaming stuff if they're technically already airing at the beginning of the day (at least on the East Coast).

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Its still on at 530pm and 9pm.

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

:roboluv: oh yes oh god yes form the head FORM THE HEAD unghhhh...:fap:
Huh, so JJ Abrams will helm Episode IX. Is this a good thing? I mean, I enjoyed TFA, but I'm not sure if I am prepared for this much JJ in my SW.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

IronSaber posted:

Huh, so JJ Abrams will helm Episode IX. Is this a good thing? I mean, I enjoyed TFA, but I'm not sure if I am prepared for this much JJ in my SW.

JJ Abrams is not a good director and I thought TFA was a thoroughly ordinary movie that reflected this, so in my opinion no.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
I could see them burning the season off quickly with double episodes if they want to sell dvds of the show for christmas... Still seems odd though, could have started airing the show last month if that was the case.

• Locked thread