Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Hadlock posted:

In theory it will have dual channel PCI-e on the thunderbolt 3 port.

Dual channel PCI-e isn't a guarantee that it will be compatible out of the box (due to drivers), but you'll at least know your laptop is technically capable of it. If the manufacturer advertises eGPU support, that's a strong signal, but ultimately you're going to have to dig through Reddit to find out if the model you want works out of the box or if driver tweaking is required.

Its the dual channel thst (drivers permitting) enable it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
No, you can run an eGPU on things that have only 2 PCIe lanes for their thunderbolt connections. It'll just bottleneck more and isn't ideal.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Ynglaur posted:

The Razer Blade is pretty close to what you describe, albeit at high cost and poor QC. The Aero 14 also gets good reviews.

Well it'd be nicer to get them smaller with thinner bezels. I don't even mind a bit of thickness as I think thickness, or rather, thinness, isn't really felt once you get below an inch. My old Z1 was over an inch thick, and my Aero 15 is under an inch thick by a good margin, and honestly if they had the exact same footprint, the thickness difference wouldn't even matter to me. It's not like my backpack or laptop shoulder bag is tight like a condom.

IMO, there's too much of a focus on chasing thinness when it's not the most important factor in portability. Take the MSI GS63VR, a laptop thinner than the Razer Blade even, but it's got these inch thick bezels that make it a really big 15 inch laptop despite it being only slightly thicker than your phone.

I considered the Aero 14 and the Blade both before picking up this machine, but there is no way I'm risking going down the Razer Customer Service rabbit hole, and by the time it came to buying time the 15 had already been released.

OutofSight
May 4, 2017

Hadlock posted:

I'd love to see an XPS 15 with a 1050ti or, heaven forbid, 1060. If it came with the 1060, that would absolutely be the laptop to buy for about 85% of people visiting here.

Maybe this and certainly a case, that does not attract dirt like it is some kind of retarded feature.

OutofSight fucked around with this message at 10:33 on Sep 1, 2017

School of How
Jul 6, 2013

quite frankly I don't believe this talk about the market
Do people here think USB-C will catch on and be the new charger format that every laptop uses? I have an android phone with a USB-C charger and I like the idea of having the same charger for my laptop and phone.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
Chances are your laptop will require a much larger charger than the phone anyway - my work HP Elite X2 has a fairly large brick and it’s a drat Core-M

School of How
Jul 6, 2013

quite frankly I don't believe this talk about the market

dissss posted:

Chances are your laptop will require a much larger charger than the phone anyway - my work HP Elite X2 has a fairly large brick and it’s a drat Core-M

But the computer charger can be used to charge the phone?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

School of How posted:

Do people here think USB-C will catch on and be the new charger format that every laptop uses? I have an android phone with a USB-C charger and I like the idea of having the same charger for my laptop and phone.

Dell has it on the XPS line. Microsoft didn't add it to the Surface lineup, but they are making a dongle to give you USB-C (including charging ability). Lenovo has a USB-C charger but it's only 45w (they include a non-USB-C power brick/charger).

As far as low-end laptops? Who knows.

Bourricot
Aug 7, 2016

They're niche devices (and aren't exactly laptops) but both the GPD Win and the GPD Pocket get charging from USB C.

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!
Chromebook Plus charges from USB C (and delightfully can do it from either side.)

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
is "VR Ready" just marketing, or does it actually mean something specific? Isn't it just if 1. it has a good gpu and 2. it has enough usb ports (probably solved with a usb c hub)?

Finally looking to upgrade and might as well get something that can run my Oculus. Looking at these thin(ner) light(er) high performance ones, not sure what to choose. The Gigabyte Aero 15 looks very attractive for its price point, but will a 1060 run VR well?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Gozinbulx posted:

is "VR Ready" just marketing, or does it actually mean something specific? Isn't it just if 1. it has a good gpu and 2. it has enough usb ports (probably solved with a usb c hub)?

Finally looking to upgrade and might as well get something that can run my Oculus. Looking at these thin(ner) light(er) high performance ones, not sure what to choose. The Gigabyte Aero 15 looks very attractive for its price point, but will a 1060 run VR well?

https://support.oculus.com/1633938460220125/

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

The 1060 is minimum required for VR iirc. Keep in mind that laptop 1060s perform around ten percent worse than their desktop counterparts.

anothergod
Apr 11, 2016

Shrimp or Shrimps posted:

The 1060 is minimum required for VR iirc. Keep in mind that laptop 1060s perform around ten percent worse than their desktop counterparts.

A 1060 or a 970 (RX 480 or R9 290 on the AMD front) is the recommended spec. The 1050Ti and 960 are the minimum specs. I can't imagine that you can scale down frame rate or resolution and "just deal with it" in VR as well as you can in regular old gaming, so there's that.

That said, laptop VR is an enthusiast's game, so you might want to not penny pinch. If you're gonna VR you might as well drop the difference for a 1070.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

anothergod posted:

A 1060 or a 970 (RX 480 or R9 290 on the AMD front) is the recommended spec. The 1050Ti and 960 are the minimum specs. I can't imagine that you can scale down frame rate or resolution and "just deal with it" in VR as well as you can in regular old gaming, so there's that.

That said, laptop VR is an enthusiast's game, so you might want to not penny pinch. If you're gonna VR you might as well drop the difference for a 1070.

Oh wow I didn't realize the minimum specs went that low. Do they market 1050ti laptops as "VR Ready"?

anothergod
Apr 11, 2016

Occulus lays out what their target hardware is. Click Bob's link above if you want to see for yourself.

edit: removed the 'clearly' because it sounded demeaning and being a dick on the internet is dumbo.

anothergod fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Sep 1, 2017

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

School of How posted:

I think once manufacturers realize they don't have to bundle in a $15 power brick with every laptop they sell (bring your own charger or BYOC) like they are doing with phones now, USB-C adoption is going to go way up.

Right now the general system seems to be to build a chassis/motherboard/display platform, and then tweak it/upgrade it every 3 years. As manufacturers rotate through the 3 year platform cycle, the top end models are getting USB-C added first as a "premium feature" and trickling down. You're seeing the same thing with Halo phones.

Probably long term yeah some laptops will continue to have "custom" power adapters, but within three years USB-C will the the norm, not the exception.

The other thing is, replacement phone chargers used to be a huge side business for retail cell phone shops, finally Europe decided to force manufacturers to all use the same standard plug because all those custom chargers were just ending up in landfills after 6-8 months. If Europe were to adopt something similar for USB-C with laptops that would definitely push it over the edge.

I have a phone with USB-C and I've used laptops with USB-C and I can tell you it's fantastic. Your laptop might not charge very fast (or even discharge very slowly during use) on a 15W cell phone charger (you can buy 100w chargers) but it has the potential to solve most charging problems. Really looking forward to buying a solar panel some day that does 30w out using USB-C PD (power delivery)

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

School of How posted:

Yes, it will eventually be the default power connection for "mainstream" devices, i.e. anything that requires up to the 100 W limit in the PD spec.

You can absolutely use a single power supply for all Type-C devices; basically the USB PD spec provides for a few different voltages (and currents) and the device picks the highest appropriate power supply. Obviously your 15 or 30 W phone adapter won't charge a laptop very fast, but in contrast a 60+ W laptop supply won't harm a phone because the phone will just pick a lower output.

roomforthetuna posted:

Chromebook Plus charges from USB C (and delightfully can do it from either side.)

The 2015 Chromebook Pixel was AFAIK the first laptop to be powered by its Type C connector(s). :colbert:

Gozinbulx posted:

"VR Ready" is both marketing and an indicator of sufficient performance/ports to operate a VR system. Check out the Acer Helios 300, which is a VR-Ready laptop for about $1k.

Blowdryer
Jan 25, 2008
My moms lookin for something not super powerful for daily use (writing documents, browsing, editing music/photos).

She told me her price range is 700-1200 and the only real requirements are 15.6 screen, webcam, bluetooth, preferably lightweight, and better performance than her ASUS A53e.

Any suggestions?

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

Is there a go-to cheap 14" recommendation on the lines of the 15" Acer that's been posted recently? Otherwise I'm looking at a T470s, which will be a beautiful laptop but also an expensive one. USB C and NVMe would be nice but I guess not necessary.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Update: You know that Acer Predator 300 for a little over $1k? You can get this refurbished Asus with a 1070, G-Sync, and an additional 1 TB HDD for about $30 more than the Acer! :popeye: Otherwise it's pretty much the same laptop in all other respects. It may have heat issues that can be addressed if you're willing to open it up and re-paste it, though. It's now the new king of the price/performance gaming laptops as long as these remain in stock.

Blowdryer posted:

My moms lookin for something not super powerful for daily use (writing documents, browsing, editing music/photos).

She told me her price range is 700-1200 and the only real requirements are 15.6 screen, webcam, bluetooth, preferably lightweight, and better performance than her ASUS A53e.

Any suggestions?

You don't need anywhere near that price range for that functionality. Get this Acer, add a $50 128 GB m.2 SATA SSD from eBay, add 4 GB of DDR4 for ~$25 from eBay, and you're done. It meets all your requirements, has all of those components, and is about as lightweight as any 15" laptop. ~$425 for the 3 components and <10 minutes of opening the bottom panel and installing the hardware, and then either use Macrium Reflect to clone the boot drive or just make a free Windows 10 USB installation medium and do a fresh install (which is probably the better option to clear any bloatware.) You can Paypal me my half (we're going 50:50 of course ;) ) of the money I "saved" her. ;)

Happiness Commando posted:

Is there a go-to cheap 14" recommendation on the lines of the 15" Acer that's been posted recently? Otherwise I'm looking at a T470s, which will be a beautiful laptop but also an expensive one. USB C and NVMe would be nice but I guess not necessary.

Ah, you must be talking about that Acer that I've been posting and just recommended above. :3: Well if you want a 14" version, I just saw this one on Amazon earlier today. The CPU is OK, and it has an 32 GB eMMC SSD; neither that or the 4 GB of RAM are upgradeable, and it doesn't have a backlit keyboard, but it does have a 14" FHD display and is only $220. No USB Type-C or NVMe, of course. This wouldn't be terrible to use, as the CPU & RAM are adequate, but you definitely need external storage, and this Acer more or less does what you'd expect a Chromebook to do. You can get 14" CBs, so I could only really recommend this if you need Windows on the cheap, with basically the minimum hardware requirements and nothing more.

There used to be this HP for the same price, and it's basically just an AMD-powered version of the 14" Acer, but not only is the HP unavailable at the moment, it looks like Amazon just got in the Acer as a replacement at their "low-end browsing laptop" category. There are quite a few reviews of the HP on Youtube; it was popular because it has a nice display and you can pop it open to upgrade the RAM and add a 2.5" drive (sorta).

Atomizer fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Sep 3, 2017

Shadowstar
May 19, 2003

~~~~~~~~~
Trying to shop for a laptop with harddrive space and processor capable of creating/editing/encoding YouTube videos for an 11-year-old excited about content creation.

Probably needs to be used. Needs to be durable. Under $500 would be nice. Haven't looked at this market in a long time so would appreciate pointers beyond what's in the OP if anyone has them.

Thanks!

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

All the best octopodes shoot fire and ice.
Hey all. I'm trying to pick a new laptop. I found a couple through a work purchase program that I was looking out and wanted to get opinions on them. There was this Alienware, which wasa the main reason I was wanting to ask you guys as I don't know Alienware's current reputation. I didn't like Dell when I used them 10 years ago, but that says nothing about their current rep. Most of my online research is telling me people don't like them.

Model Alienware 17 R3
Memory 8GB DDR4
Processor Intel i7-6700HQ up to 3.5GHz
Screen Size 17.3
Video Card NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970M Graphics
1TB HDD, no optical drive
Price 2335.84

This Asus

Model GL753VE-DS74
Memory 16 GB DDR4
Processor Intel Core i7-7700HQ 2.8GHz
Screen Size 17.3
Video Card NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050Ti
1TB HDD, 256GB SSD optical drive
Price 2,038.21

This MSI

Model GE72030
Memory 16 GB (doesn't say anything else about it)
Screen Size 17.3
Video Card NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050TI
Price 2,287.01

And this MSI

Memory 16GB
Model GP62X1046
Screen Size 15.6
Video Card NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050
1TB HDD, optical drive
Price 1,567.01

I'm not married to a 17 inch screen, it's just what most of the available options are. I do need it to be a laptop as I am very rarely at home. I am looking at doing video editing, gaming, computer animation on the machine. Likely about to start teaching game design classes as well (waiting on approval for that). The Alienware seems like the worst choice of the options, but I haven't been paying attention to computer improvements for the past couple years so I don't want to make a bad decision. Or if all these are astonishingly awful investments I'd like to know.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
They're all bad options. Look for something with an SSD, a GTX 1060, and something that's not 17 inches. The Aero 14 and Aero 15 are the best of that lot, but there are cheaper options available as well that other folks can point out.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
I'd say you're between the Razer Blade, the MSI GS63VR and the Aero 14 or 15. You do not want a 17" laptop.

People like Dell just fine, I don't know what you're reading. The XPS 15 9560 is a great machine if you can live with a 1050.

edit: the one with the big battery anyway, the 2.5" bay isn't worth having a 3 hour laptop.

sout
Apr 24, 2014

The Iron Rose posted:

They're all bad options.

This is how i've felt looking at every single laptop for the last week.
I need to get over myself and compromise on some stuff unless I wanna spend crazy money, I don't think I'm realistically gunna notice a screen having low colour accuracy for example.

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

I'd say you're between the Razer Blade, the MSI GS63VR and the Aero 14 or 15. You do not want a 17" laptop.

People like Dell just fine, I don't know what you're reading. The XPS 15 9560 is a great machine if you can live with a 1050.

edit: the one with the big battery anyway, the 2.5" bay isn't worth having a 3 hour laptop.

I've had a 17 inch laptop as my last one. Battery life was kinda low, but I was frequently near an outlet. The hinges also broke fairly early on but I'm not sure that had to do with the screen size. I didn't think it was that bad but I'm sure I'll change my tune having a 15 inch laptop slung over my shoulder and taking up less space on a table though. I'm sure I could live with a 1050 as my last laptop was also an integrated intel card. I am patient. The games I play are mostly 2D indie titles. A few games would take more power though. I am mostly looking for the animation power (which is more I expect).

Also it wasn't people complaining about Dell as much as it was people complaining about Alienware specifically.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

PSWII60 posted:

The games I play are mostly 2D indie titles.

You don't need a gaming laptop at all, then, unless you're some sort of Super Meat Boy speedrun grognard who can't live with display lag. I'm not sure what you mean by "the animation power", but for video editing with Premiere pretty much any dedicated GPU from the MX150 upward will perform about the same. You might want to wait a few months to see if someone puts out a system with an 8th gen ULV CPU with a 1050 in it, because that would cover your needs quite nicely and be much lighter and thinner than anything available right now.

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

You don't need a gaming laptop at all, then, unless you're some sort of Super Meat Boy speedrun grognard who can't live with display lag. I'm not sure what you mean by "the animation power", but for video editing with Premiere pretty much any dedicated GPU from the MX150 upward will perform about the same. You might want to wait a few months to see if someone puts out a system with an 8th gen ULV CPU with a 1050 in it, because that would cover your needs quite nicely and be much lighter and thinner than anything available right now.

The animation power was referencing the computer animation I mentioned in the other post. I run stuff like Blender, 3Ds Max, and the like. Trying to get better at Zbrush cause I suck at 3d sculpting kind of stuff at the moment.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
Am I correct in thinking the Quadro M1200/M2200 are basically GeForce 850M level GPUs?

I'm looking at a Precision 7520 and I'm about 99% sure I'm going to just get Intel graphics. I spend most of my time booted in to Linux and dual graphics solutions make things a lot more complicated there.

On that note just to be sure, are the modern Intel graphics able to handle standard desktop operations at 4K plus possibly an external monitor? I don't game on my laptop (aside from emulators) but I don't want to be seeing framerate drops when dragging windows around like my old Macbook would do when connected to a high-res display.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

wolrah posted:

Am I correct in thinking the Quadro M1200/M2200 are basically GeForce 850M level GPUs?

I'm looking at a Precision 7520 and I'm about 99% sure I'm going to just get Intel graphics. I spend most of my time booted in to Linux and dual graphics solutions make things a lot more complicated there.

On that note just to be sure, are the modern Intel graphics able to handle standard desktop operations at 4K plus possibly an external monitor? I don't game on my laptop (aside from emulators) but I don't want to be seeing framerate drops when dragging windows around like my old Macbook would do when connected to a high-res display.

1. Yes, in fact they're practically the same silicon. The difference is driver validation. The 2200 is equivalent to a 950m. Great for CAD and light modelling (think phone cases), not great for anything heavier.
2. Yes, especially with a 45w HQ chip. Make sure the machine supports 4k/60hz externally if you need that though, not all of them do.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

So, looks like the HP Envy 13 is getting a refresh with an Intel 8550u which is a 15w quad-core eight-thread CPU. Also paired with the MX150:

#1: https://liliputing.com/2017/08/hp-envy-13-notebook-cofee-lake-chips-leaked-hp.html

#2: https://support.hp.com/bg-en/document/c05650760

13 inch ultra portable with a quad core CPU and a GT1030 / MX150?

Hmm, yes please. It's a bit poo poo though that it has only 8GB RAM (soldered) and no extra slot, and also a 360gb SSD which I would much prefer in the 512 flavour. I don't know why they wouldn't provide a 16gb option...?

Sometimes laptop manufacturer's just make baffling decisions.

Shrimp or Shrimps fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Sep 3, 2017

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

There's meant to be an 8th gen HQ chip out there too, so there might be some announcements soon about that, maybe some price drops? I guess that's always the case when you're looking to the future though!

baka kaba fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Sep 4, 2017

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

baka kaba posted:

There's meant to be an 8th gen HQ chip out there too, so there might be some announcements soon about that, maybe some price drops? I guess that's always the case when you're looking to the future though!

Intel staggers the releases, so the U-series first, then the HQ and the the desktop series.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

How long does it usually take the HQ stuff to officially pop up? Are we talking weeks or months?

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

baka kaba posted:

I have some fairly particular wants in a laptop (a primary one being quad core with no dedicated GPU) and the 7520 seems to be the only one on the market that ticks all of the boxes. Being a "workstation" line product I doubt it'll get an update quickly, especially considering the model was only released a few months ago. I intend to cram it with RAM so I'm strongly considering getting the Xeon as well so I can use ECC, and that definitely won't be seeing an 8th gen update any time soon.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Shadowstar posted:

Trying to shop for a laptop with harddrive space and processor capable of creating/editing/encoding YouTube videos for an 11-year-old excited about content creation.

Probably needs to be used. Needs to be durable. Under $500 would be nice. Haven't looked at this market in a long time so would appreciate pointers beyond what's in the OP if anyone has them.

Thanks!

This is doable, although I still recommend getting a system with an SSD as the primary drive for performance, then adding an internal/external HDD for storage. When you say "durable," there's "ruggedized" like Panasonic Toughbooks, "pretty sturdy" like Lenovo Thinkpads and other business-class devices, and then a wide range of mainstream devices that are still going to hold together as long as you don't drop them on the floor. As long as the kid is reasonably careful you'll be fine.

I would say this Thinkpad's a possibility, but you should replace the HDD with an SSD and then add a larger HDD for storage. This HP EliteBook's not a bad choice either, it comes with an SSD so you just need to add an HDD. This other HP looks OK too, it comes with plenty of RAM and a 2 TB HDD, so you could pull that out if necessary, replace it with an SSD, and put the HDD in an external enclosure if it doesn't have room for two drives. Still, however, I like the following Acer, and I'll quote myself since I'm getting tired of re-typing the same recommendation over and over again because nobody bothers to read the other posts in the thread:

Atomizer posted:

Get this Acer, add a $50 128 GB m.2 SATA SSD from eBay, add 4 GB of DDR4 for ~$25 from eBay, and you're done. It meets all your requirements, has all of those components, and is about as lightweight as any 15" laptop. ~$425 for the 3 components and <10 minutes of opening the bottom panel and installing the hardware, and then either use Macrium Reflect to clone the boot drive or just make a free Windows 10 USB installation medium and do a fresh install (which is probably the better option to clear any bloatware.)

So to sum up, it has a FHD display, backlit keyboard, sufficient CPU, and 1 TB HDD, with room for another stick of DDR4 and an m.2 SATA SSD. It's new, you'll come in under budget, and will work for the kid's purposes.

PSWII60 posted:

Hey all. I'm trying to pick a new laptop. I found a couple through a work purchase program that I was looking out and wanted to get opinions on them. There was this Alienware, which wasa the main reason I was wanting to ask you guys as I don't know Alienware's current reputation. I didn't like Dell when I used them 10 years ago, but that says nothing about their current rep. Most of my online research is telling me people don't like them.

Model Alienware 17 R3
Memory 8GB DDR4
Processor Intel i7-6700HQ up to 3.5GHz
Screen Size 17.3
Video Card NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970M Graphics
1TB HDD, no optical drive
Price 2335.84

This Asus

Model GL753VE-DS74
Memory 16 GB DDR4
Screen Size 17.3
Video Card NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050Ti
Price 2,038.21

This MSI

Model GE72030
Memory 16 GB (doesn't say anything else about it)
Screen Size 17.3
Video Card NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050TI
Price 2,287.01

And this MSI

Memory 16GB
Model GP62X1046
Screen Size 15.6
Video Card NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050
1TB HDD, optical drive
Price 1,567.01

I'm not married to a 17 inch screen, it's just what most of the available options are. I do need it to be a laptop as I am very rarely at home. I am looking at doing video editing, gaming, computer animation on the machine. Likely about to start teaching game design classes as well (waiting on approval for that). The Alienware seems like the worst choice of the options, but I haven't been paying attention to computer improvements for the past couple years so I don't want to make a bad decision. Or if all these are astonishingly awful investments I'd like to know.

Are those prices in moon bucks or something?! :psyduck: Those prices are like double what those laptops should go for! I mean it's likely you're not quoting US Dollars, but you should probably specify that upfront, and also if you're in another country and don't have access to the US market then that limits what we can recommend to you.

sout
Apr 24, 2014

How easy is it to upgrade storage on a laptop/replace the boot drive?
I guess it's on a case by case basis but I can't see how you'd be able to transfer windows to a different M2 SSD without having both drives in the machine at the same time, do most laptops have 2 slots or what?

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

sout posted:

How easy is it to upgrade storage on a laptop/replace the boot drive?
I guess it's on a case by case basis but I can't see how you'd be able to transfer windows to a different M2 SSD without having both drives in the machine at the same time, do most laptops have 2 slots or what?

You can use a program like Macrium to image to the new HDD/SSD by using a USB adapter. Then you just swap them out. As in, you get a M2-->USB adapter for your new 512GB M2 stick, clone your existing drive, and then replace them.

There may even be an easier way than getting a USB adapter, but I don't know of it.

What I would probably just do is do a fresh install of Windows 10 anyway. Most laptops don't come with anything vital that can't be re-downloaded from their manufacturer support page. I wouldn't even bother with cloning the stock drive; especially not an MSI laptop (for example) since those are chocka block with bloat.

If you're worried about activation, don't be as it's tied to your MB/bios.

As far as physically upgrading storage, that is definitely case by case. Some laptops are dead simple and you just remove the back panel and poof, there is your M2 slot. Some, like the MSI GS63VR, require you to remove the back panel *and then* take out the motherboard because for some insane reason they put the most-likely-to-be-upgraded parts (storage/ram) on other side of the motherboard.

Well, technically they're on the "front" side of the motherboard, but they flipped the motherboard over.

Some laptops have hidden screws on their backpanel beneath "warranty void if removed" stickers.

Some laptops, like the Asus Zephyrus GX501, require you to unscrew the backpanel, but then you lift off the keyboard deck and access the internals that way.

Shrimp or Shrimps fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Sep 4, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sout
Apr 24, 2014

Shrimp or Shrimps posted:

If you're worried about activation, don't be as it's tied to your MB/bios.

Oh cool, so what, you'd launch the installer from USB in the BIOS?