Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Giant Murderbaby
Dec 16, 2012
I was watching a jr title match between Liger and Naoki Sano where Liger gets his masked ripped off. At the end of the match, despite winning, Liger throws away the belt and starts attacking everyone. It seems like he does this because he had his masked ripped earlier. I don't know a lot about Liger, but was his character a hothead, or is this just because losing his mask is a huge embarrassment that winning the title doesn't make up for?

Here's the match:http://njpwworld.com/p/s_series_00089_2_1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unimportantguy
Dec 25, 2012

Hey, Johnny, what's a "shitpost"?
Liger is a rage monster when it comes to his mask. At times, he would even wear Muta-esque face paint and go on illegal move rampages when his mask was removed.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Chris James 2 posted:

gently caress This

So did they bump up Hitomu to heavy and he stopped dying his hair orrrrrrrr

Oh god

Oh god

There is no god

God is dead

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

This is Body Snatcher Tanahashi, calling it

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
Who is that fan with the belt?

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

I think Tanahashi is a Kamen Rider now.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

coconono posted:

I think Tanahashi is a Kamen Rider now.

His dreams have come true!

Nah Tanahashi is filming a NJPW docu-drama movie so the hair had to go back to "normal."

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Wrestling's greatest love story continues

https://twitter.com/chinlocked/status/904102210560155648

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Matt Riddle and Jeff Cobb in the World Tag League should be cool then

rovert
Jun 10, 2013

Baron Corbyn posted:

Matt Riddle and Jeff Cobb in the World Tag League should be cool then

I've known this since mid August.

Tag League represents an interesting power struggle between WWN and NJPW over who will get the first refusal on Matt's future dates.

Additionally, WWN was/is a placeholder/resting point for Riddle before he, in theory, would join WWE.

Also the whole Sydal situation. It is a high-risk gamble between multiple parties. The people vouching for Riddle are really putting their heads on the line but are doing it knowingly. Meltzer said essentially that tag league is a tryout for the G1 for Riddle.

Happy Cobb has another lifeline if LU gets shelved. Likewise for Riddle if FloSlam ceases to exist in January.

New Japan suits both better than WWE it is a lot kinder, gentler, family centric and with a lot more self-determination.

It is a very interesting story.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Matt Riddle is more or less a perfect fit in New Japan outside of the weed thing.

The weed thing could be a ticking time bomb though, and not in a Hiromu way.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

rovert posted:

I've known this since mid August.

Tag League represents an interesting power struggle between WWN and NJPW over who will get the first refusal on Matt's future dates.

Additionally, WWN was/is a placeholder/resting point for Riddle before he, in theory, would join WWE.

Also the whole Sydal situation. It is a high-risk gamble between multiple parties. The people vouching for Riddle are really putting their heads on the line but are doing it knowingly. Meltzer said essentially that tag league is a tryout for the G1 for Riddle.

Happy Cobb has another lifeline if LU gets shelved. Likewise for Riddle if FloSlam ceases to exist in January.

New Japan suits both better than WWE it is a lot kinder, gentler, family centric and with a lot more self-determination.

It is a very interesting story.

do you know if there are singles opportunities for Cobb down the line because a tryout for the G1 for Riddle kinda sounds like he's just there to take falls for Riddle in the Tag League which I hope isn't the case.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013

Baron Corbyn posted:

do you know if there are singles opportunities for Cobb down the line because a tryout for the G1 for Riddle kinda sounds like he's just there to take falls for Riddle in the Tag League which I hope isn't the case.

I've honestly no idea about Cobb.

War Machine obviously worked very hard last year and got a roster spot out of it.

rare Magic card l00k posted:

Matt Riddle is more or less a perfect fit in New Japan outside of the weed thing.

Yeah, he's a main eventer if he wants to be.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
Riddle in NJPW/G1 is a no-brainer.

The problem is that Riddle is also a no-brainer.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

cobb is gonna get more over than riddle

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
I don't know what I want more: a Cobb/Elgin tag team or a Cobb/Elgin feud.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Riddle better not bring his kids to Japan.

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009
If Matt Riddle is a no-brainer, I feel like Jeff Cobb is a negative-brainer. Don't all impressively strong foreign hosses seem to get over?

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
Once Cobb rag dolls someone around with his gut wrench german suplex thing he does the crowd will love him. That and when be busts out the flips. If theres one thing Japan is impressed by besides really strong big dudes, its strong big dudes doing high flyer stuff.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

CVagts posted:

If Matt Riddle is a no-brainer, I feel like Jeff Cobb is a negative-brainer. Don't all impressively strong foreign hosses seem to get over?

Then forget Riddle, bring over Cobb/Keith Lee and let them hoss-off against War Machine.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

This feels like probably the best time for gaijins in japan since early 1990s

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

C. Everett Koop posted:

Then forget Riddle, bring over Cobb/Keith Lee and let them hoss-off against War Machine.

This sounds like extremely my poo poo.

Excited for both those guys, hope they get over as well as we think they will.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

MassRafTer posted:

Riddle better not bring his kids to Japan.

Haha.... oh :smith:

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Super No Vacancy posted:

This.

Cobb was made for New Japan, put him in an endless feud with Ishii.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Super No Vacancy posted:

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

hopefully yuji or minoru slap the poo poo out of riddle until he makes his offense not look soft

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Cobb, Riddle and Kitamura being as hoss young lion means we got some real good Hoss'es in New Japan for the near future

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Is there any truth to the list of names floating around for the World Tag League? No Naito, no Yano and no Ibushi make me kinda doubtful.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

idk I dunno what list you're talking about. yano is probably a lock but I wouldn't consider ibushi one

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

quote:

The Chosen Bros (Matt Riddle & Jeff Cobb)
War Machine
Killer Elite Squad
Guerrillas Of Destiny
Hiroshi Tanahashi & Michael Elgin
EVIL & SANADA
Kazuchika Okada & YOSHI-HASHI
Hirooki Goto & Tomohiro Ishii
Minoru Suzuki & Zack Sabre Jr.
Kenny Omega & Chase Owens
Cody & Hangman Page
Bad Luck Fale & Yujiro Takahashi
Juice Robinson & Manabu Nakanishi
TenCozy (Hiroyoshi Tenzan & Satoshi Kojima)
Katsuya Kitamura & Tomoyuki Oka
Yuji Nagata & Togi Makabe

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Oh my God Riddle and Cobb vs Suzuki and ZSJ is a dope matchup

cams
Mar 28, 2003

i want that to be real

sleep with the vicious
Apr 2, 2010
FYI for new viewers, the tag league sucks so don't get excited

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

sleep with the vicious posted:

FYI for new viewers, the tag league sucks so don't get excited

NJPW traditionally uses tag matches as a vehicle to sell singles matches so their tag divisions have been pretty meh. The introduction of War Machine, KES, GOD have rounded that out. We actually have cohesive tag teams instead of "welp Tana's injured but still wants to work, who's gonna eat the fall to keep him over" tag teams.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

inclined to say fake, I would not expect to see Kitamura and Oka together, or Nagata and Makabe. I think Tanahashi is more likely to team with Juice than Elgin at this point, and if you have three bullet club teams then I think you'd have Beretta and YTR in for Chaos, though probably not together. also I think there will probably be another wildcard team in addition to Riddle/Cobb. but it's reasonably realistic

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
The fact that Nakanishi and Nagata aren't paired together when they normally are is suspect

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

I think they were separate last year because I remember Nakanishi was with Henare but I can't remember if there was an injury or some circumstance that shifted things around

ok here are my predictions/power rankings

1 GOD
2 War Machine
3 Cobb & Riddle
4 KES
5 EVIL & Sanada
6 Tanahashi & Makabe
7 Okada & Yoshi
8 Elgin & Juice
9 Omega & Adam Page
10 Goto & Beretta
11 Suzuki & Iizuka
12 Tencozy
13 Ishii & YTR
14 Fale & Yujiro
15 Nagata & Nakanishi
16 ok maybe you put the young lions here to give everybody a free win, or you have another wildcard team of outsiders, or you split oka and kitamura between nagata and nakanishi

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

I'm doubtful they're bringing Rush over for another tour so I actually think it makes sense to leave Naito off the tour given how banged up he supposedly is. plus it fits with his character to lounge around in anticipation of the tokyo dome while okada is carrying yoshi

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
Last year's teams I'd expect to be back:
GOD
EVIL/SANADA
War Machine
Okada/YOSHI-HASHI
Ten-Cozy
Goto/Ishii

Last year's teams that might be back:
Tana/Juice
Okada/Owens
Page/Yujiro

Last year's teams that won't be back, at least in current form:
GBH
Nagata/Shibata :smith:
Rush/Naito
Billy Gunn/Yoshitatsu
Brian Breaker/Leland Race
Henare/Nakanishi
Fale/Bone Soldier

That gives you Makabe/Nagata/Naito/Fale/Nakanishi? to come up with new teams, though I could see two of the three grumpy old men teaming. Cobb/Riddle can take the Race Breakers spot, KES take a spot, and the young lions can do whatever.

So if I had to guess:

1: GOD
2: War Machine
3: KES
4: EVIL/SANADA
5: Ten-Cozy
6: Okada/YOSHI-HASHI
7: Goto/Ishii
8: Okada/Owens
9: Fale/Page
10: Cobb/Riddle
11: Nagata/Nakanishi
12: Juice/BIG MIKE
13: Naito/Partner
14: Makabe/Partner
15: Young Lion team
16: Probably Tana and someone because he won't get his loving surgery

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eshock
Sep 2, 2004

poo poo, bc of this thread I just realized Jeff Cobb wrestled Yoel Romero in the olympics and now I need to find a video of that match.

• Locked thread