Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Now we are all sons of bitches.
Hell Gem

romanowski posted:

i think he's referring to the scene in episode 14 or 15 when andy is in the lodge and the fireman is showing him a bunch of stuff. one of the images is of cooper and booper overlaid over each other and then moving apart

Okay, I know what scene you're talking about now, but I would never have read that as being the two Coopers splitting either. He's old in that scene. No way that he's splitting there. It's just showing that there are two Coopers, like RBX said. It's funny that Andy didn't remember that when the doppelganger showed up in person at the station.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Friends, theorize as much as you want. I invite it. But do we really need spoiler tags this late in the game? The show's over now and people better not be reading this thread if they haven't seen the finale. It'd probably make no goddamn sense to them if they did anyway.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
Ah that's right it was one of the the visions shown to Andy. It could just be demonstrating to Andy that they are two Coops, but I think that since it showed them splitting apart was demonstrating that they were initially whole.

Anyway my other theory is even dumber, I think Twin Peaks is a dream in that it's a TV show and shows are a form of escapism like dreams. Laura's entire role as the chosen one was to be a victim and give the show a plot, and Bob only exists to be the antagonist.

When Cooper went back and prevented her death he had ruined the entire plot of the show and Judy responded by sending Laura off to a completely different dream/show. This other show is supposed to resemble real life to trick Coop into thinking he's failed and that everything that happened before was just a dream of his, but Laura regains some memory and the illusion is shattered and that dream ends.

I think this dream tv show stuff is the explanation for Audrey's predicament. She's somehow woken up to the fact that she lived in a dream and that's why she has meta knowledge about "Audrey's Dance".

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

NObodyNOWHERE posted:

Okay, I know what scene you're talking about now, but I would never have read that as being the two Coopers splitting either. He's old in that scene. No way that he's splitting there. It's just showing that there are two Coopers, like RBX said. It's funny that Andy didn't remember that when the doppelganger showed up in person at the station.

Come on, Andy is too nice to think that. If Evil Cooper is this bad, Andy's doppelgänger would be Hitler.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

tap my mountain posted:

Ah that's right it was one of the the visions shown to Andy. It could just be demonstrating to Andy that they are two Coops, but I think that since it showed them splitting apart was demonstrating that they were initially whole.

Anyway my other theory is even dumber, I think Twin Peaks is a dream in that it's a TV show and shows are a form of escapism like dreams. Laura's entire role as the chosen one was to be a victim and give the show a plot, and Bob only exists to be the antagonist.

When Cooper went back and prevented her death he had ruined the entire plot of the show and Judy responded by sending Laura off to a completely different dream/show. This other show is supposed to resemble real life to trick Coop into thinking he's failed and that everything that happened before was just a dream of his, but Laura regains some memory and the illusion is shattered and that dream ends.

I think this dream tv show stuff is the explanation for Audrey's predicament. She's somehow woken up to the fact that she lived in a dream and that's why she has meta knowledge about "Audrey's Dance".

"Just think of Bob and Judy
They're as happy as can be
Inventing situations
And putting them on TV"

I wonder if Frost/Lynch are Talking Heads fans.

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene
Even though the finale is growing on me, this gif: https://i.imgur.com/xCeyDqH.gif is absolutely the best representation of the initial responses we had last night to it.

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

People are under a lot of stress, Bradley.
I've definitely come around on the finale since last night (although I did like 17 right away), but I mentioned it to my girlfriend this morning and she just said "I don't wanna talk about it." She wasn't banking on nostalgia or a tidy/happy ending or anything like that, but she feels the entire thing was a waste of time to watch.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

HD DAD posted:

"Just think of Bob and Judy
They're as happy as can be
Inventing situations
And putting them on TV"

I wonder if Frost/Lynch are Talking Heads fans.

Probably. Here's the lyrics to "Swamp"

Now let me tell you a story
The devil he has a plan
A bag of bones in his pocket
Got anything you want
No dust and no rocks
The whole thing is over
All those beauties in solid motion
All those beauties, gonna swallow you up
Let's go

Hi hi hi hi hi
Hi hi hi hi hi, hi

One time too many
Too far to go
I, we come to take you home

And when they split those atoms
It's hotter than the sun
Blood is a special substance
They gonna pray for that man

So wake up young lovers
The whole thing is over
Watch out touch monkeys
All that blood is gonna swallow you whole

Hi hi hi hi hi
Hi hi hi hi hi, hi

What's that? Who's driving?
Where we goin'? Who knows?

How many people do you think I am
Pretend I am somebody else
You can pretend I'm an old millionaire
A millionaire washing his hands
Rattle them bones, dreams that stick out
A medical chart on the wall
Soft violins, hands touch your throat
Everyone wants to explode

Now when your hands get dirty
Nobody knows you at all
Don't have a window to slip out of
Lights on, nobody home

Click click, see you later
Beta beta, no time to rest
Pika pika, risky business
All that blood, will never cover that mess

Hi hi hi hi hi
Hi hi hi hi hi, hi

So soft, hard feelings
No tricks lets go

Hi hi hi hi hi
Hi hi hi hi hi, hi

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Ubiquitous_ posted:

Even though the finale is growing on me, this gif: https://i.imgur.com/xCeyDqH.gif is absolutely the best representation of the initial responses we had last night to it.
This is pretty great too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-hQr3qBOHWc

Cromulent posted:

I've definitely come around on the finale since last night (although I did like 17 right away), but I mentioned it to my girlfriend this morning and she just said "I don't wanna talk about it." She wasn't banking on nostalgia or a tidy/happy ending or anything like that, but she feels the entire thing was a waste of time to watch.
WELL NOW, WE DON'T HAVE TO TALK ABOUT THE FINALE

IN FACT, I'M NOT GONNA TALK ABOUT THE FINALE AT ALL

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

It's difficult to explain.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
The thing I really liked about the finale was it flipped the s2 finale around. They're both about Coop getting lost and confused in an unfamiliar world except this time it's a realistic world that he's in, and the previous alien environment of the red room is familiar and less frightening.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

To summarize this season (and series in general),

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
In a fun twist my "Lynch fanboy vs Lynch skeptic" podcast recording this week ended with my co-host helping me come around to liking the finale much more than I did.

One major part of this is the idea that the Odessa timeline scenes are so much to do with the series' themes of the cycle of abuse against women. Even when transported into a new universe and body, Laura/Carrie still finds herself caught up in the same cycle, hence the dead guy in her house. Her final scream is both her remembering who she actually is and what she suffered, but the realisation that she always seems doomed to repeat this. And the diner scene speaks for itself of course.

It's nihilistic as gently caress, with this embodiment of golden goodness seeming destined to repeat this same cycle and provide food for the Lodge spirits again and again, but it absolutely lines up with the themes of the show as a whole, which makes me much more comfortable with the idea that this might be it.

Martin BadClixx
Jul 14, 2012

dada stijl

:cumpolice:
I do not get the 'wasnt worth it' attitude.

Isnt all of tv a waste of time? And if you enjoyed yourself.. It was worth it?
Unless you wathced 17 episodes, hated it all the way hoping for a redemption on episode 18. Then yea.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Further viewing: Solaris.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Further viewing: Solaris.
Stalker as well.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Raxivace posted:

Stalker as well.

Best movie ever made IMO

Mr. Grumpybones
Apr 18, 2002
"We're falling out of the sky! We're going down! We're a silver gleaming death machine!"

Thatim posted:

Unless you wathced 17 episodes, hated it all the way hoping for a redemption on episode 18. Then yea.

Screw me 17 times: Shame on you
Screw me an 18th time: better make it worth my while!

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Stalker is so good

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Escobarbarian posted:

Stalker is so good

Can you link your podcast plz?

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

https://twitter.com/TwinPeaksArchve/status/904730904492359680

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
drat son that's a big rear end rabbit

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Can you link your podcast plz?

Sure! The iTunes link is at https://itunes.apple.com/gb/podcast/peaked-a-twin-peaks-fancast/id1241807675?mt=2 (I assume the link will change from the GB store automatically so sorry if it doesn't) and the site is http://www.hitwithwrench.com/peaked/

Latest ep will probably come out tomorrow morning as it's long as hell and a lot to edit. Funnily enough my co-host hated episode 17, especially the "bad" effects and the fact someone we only met a couple episodes ago was the one who finally defeated BOB, but really enjoyed 18.

Martin BadClixx
Jul 14, 2012

dada stijl

:cumpolice:

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

drat son that's a big rear end rabbit

jack rabbit!!

Art Alexakis
Mar 27, 2008

Thatim posted:

jack rabbit!!

*in guy from jaws voice *
A jack rabbit?
Man I hosed this up so bad

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
we're gonna need a bigger rope

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Jack Rabbit's Palace?

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Escobarbarian posted:

Funnily enough my co-host hated episode 17, especially the "bad" effects and the fact someone we only met a couple episodes ago was the one who finally defeated BOB, but really enjoyed 18.
It was his destiny though! :v:

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Escobarbarian posted:

Sure! The iTunes link is at https://itunes.apple.com/gb/podcast/peaked-a-twin-peaks-fancast/id1241807675?mt=2 (I assume the link will change from the GB store automatically so sorry if it doesn't) and the site is http://www.hitwithwrench.com/peaked/

Latest ep will probably come out tomorrow morning as it's long as hell and a lot to edit. Funnily enough my co-host hated episode 17, especially the "bad" effects and the fact someone we only met a couple episodes ago was the one who finally defeated BOB, but really enjoyed 18.

Thanks dude. Looking forward to checking it out.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism
I wonder if they'll let him take his glove off now?

Also I didn't see it as Freddie beating Bob/Bad Cooper, more like the White Lodge beating him.

polishthunder84
Jul 29, 2014

You feel it too, don't you?
Honestly, I'm not as disappointed as I thought I would be. I mean, it's been a hell of a ride. An ambiguous ending isn't going to ruin this entire season for me.

Not sure if we're doing spoilers, but I'll err on the side of caution: I guess my takeaway from Ep 18 was that Cooper overextended himself trying to bring back Laura. It was one thing destroying Bob and sending bad Coop back to the black lodge, but trying to change the past itself was a step too far.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
To me I think Freddie being the one to defeat BOB (and I forgot to say this in the recording gently caress) is intended to show how these dudes are all just pawns in this interdimensional game between the spiritual figures. It basically happens because the Fireman moves the pieces into the right place at the right time. Coop rescues Diane but he actually has nothing at all to do with the defeat of BOB. He just kinda shows up.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
We haven't been doing spoilers for the last 16 weeks, let's not start now.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Kawalimus posted:

I wonder if they'll let him take his glove off now?

Also I didn't see it as Freddie beating Bob/Bad Cooper, more like the White Lodge beating him.
Yeah, it was Freddie being granted magical White Lodge powers that killed Bob.

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

We haven't been doing spoilers for the last 16 weeks, let's not start now.
Agreed.

Sam Sanskrit
Mar 18, 2007

Escobarbarian posted:

To me I think Freddie being the one to defeat BOB (and I forgot to say this in the recording gently caress) is intended to show how these dudes are all just pawns in this interdimensional game between the spiritual figures. It basically happens because the Fireman moves the pieces into the right place at the right time. Coop rescues Diane but he actually has nothing at all to do with the defeat of BOB. He just kinda shows up.

I agree with the sentiment but it's not quite true that Coop does nothing. He importantly brings the ring to send Booper back to the red room.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Sam Sanskrit posted:

I agree with the sentiment but it's not quite true that Coop does nothing. He importantly brings the ring to send Booper back to the red room.

Ahh that's a good point.

Hey, I just had a thought.....does anyone think one of the themes of this season was ELECTRICITY??

Pedro De Heredia
May 30, 2006

Thatim posted:

It can be a waste of some, but not all, time.

I enjoyed the series overall, but it's 18 episodes long and it has many scenes that weren't funny, emotional, or even understandable. It's normal to cut some of this material some slack with the expectation that it's going to go somewhere, but a lot of it didn't, it went nowhere. The Audrey stuff and Ben Horne stuff is especially egregious.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

Pedro De Heredia posted:

I enjoyed the series overall, but it's 18 episodes long and it has many scenes that weren't funny, emotional, or even understandable.

Like what?

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

so is the next season going to be about an epic horse race for jesus bones

Loved it; sure was fun for two months of mythology speculations, but Lynch and Frost clearly have disdain for traditional plots (Boop defeated by the chekovs gun to end all chekov guns). Themes this season hit hard and finale hits them hardest. Nostalgia and searching to erase past mistakes is futile, be happy for the little things, like Mitchums and Gordon do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Modrasone
Jul 27, 2008

HE WANTS THIS AND SO SHOULD YOU!
I had the opposite reading! I was totally knotted during the long Cooper/Laura driving scenes. It slowly made me realise that everything was wrong and I found the conversation with Mrs. Tremond/Chalfont at the Palmer house unbearably horrible, never mind the little bit afterwards.