Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
With Eragon, you could read Dune or any number of fantasy books that the author blatantly copied, and they'd probably be more interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
It pisses me off that people let such a blatant ripoff of Akira Kurosawa's The Hidden Fortress stand

Ironic Twist
Aug 3, 2008

I'm bokeh, you're bokeh

My guess is Christopher Pike, like the one where the twist is that they're all lizard people, because drat

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Ironic Twist posted:

My guess is Christopher Pike, like the one where the twist is that they're all lizard people, because drat

Is that the one about Creeps or whatever that's told in second person?

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
Whatever it is, it shouldn't be too much longer before we find out.

SilentChaz
Oct 5, 2011

Sorry, I'm quite busy at the moment.

Heath posted:

Is that the one about Creeps or whatever that's told in second person?

No, that was Scavenger Hunt.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

X-Ray Pecs posted:

With Eragon, you could read Dune or any number of fantasy books that the author blatantly copied, and they'd probably be more interesting.

Dune is more interesting than most things tbh

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice
Oh man, I loved that blaster master book when I was a kid :sweatdrop:

Gonna be tough to get an hour out of it, it's only like 100 pages long.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I read the novelization of Sonic the Hedgehog once where it turns out Sonic's origin story is that he used to be brown and slow, and then science, which turned Robotnik evil and made Sonic blue. He ran around a lot and his uncle made better shoes for him.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Heath posted:

I read the novelization of Sonic the Hedgehog once where it turns out Sonic's origin story is that he used to be brown and slow, and then science, which turned Robotnik evil and made Sonic blue. He ran around a lot and his uncle made better shoes for him.

I think that's just the plot of those bad archie sonic comics

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
laughing at this chat about the version differences

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

A Pinball Wizard posted:

Oh man, I loved that blaster master book when I was a kid :sweatdrop:

Gonna be tough to get an hour out of it, it's only like 100 pages long.

That Blaster Master remake that came out a little while back incorporated aspects of this book into the story

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6hPZ_5cSbc

General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

Something about this feels kinda hinky

Heath posted:

The backstory of the Gex games involves his dad's death in a spaceship explosion, infantilizing depression, and NASA being disbanded and Australia being bought wholesale. This is only present in the first game's manual and the novelization. It exists only to set up why Gex owns a big-screen TV in the first games opening cutscene, and does nothing to set up the game's world and conceit.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I never realized how much I wanted to read a kid-lit adaptation of Metal Gear before.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Someone actually read from the Metal Gear Worlds of Power book way back when they had the reading terrible garbage contest. It's much as you'd expect.

I'm pretty sure one of the recommended reads for it was All Quiet on the Western Front, too.

Koburn
Oct 8, 2004

FIND THE JUDGE CHILD OR YOUR CITY DIES
Grimey Drawer
I found the Blaster Master pastebin: https://pastebin.com/bUrvPcAu

'Transcribed, revised, & expanded by Andrew L. Modeen.'

also there are 2 more WoP books on youtube:
Metal Gear
Mega Man 2 (read by James Rolfe aka AVGN)

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

Heath posted:

What color were his arms though?

Apes-Ma
Aug 9, 2011

Your cage isn't getting any bigger.
I don't know how new this is, but I noticed they have added a new reward on their patreon where you can get the copy of the book they did an episode of.

So if you want to own J's copy of Night Of The Crabs, here's your chance.

Ironic Twist
Aug 3, 2008

I'm bokeh, you're bokeh
http://www.idontevenownatelevision.com/2017/09/04/089-a-million-little-pieces-w-lauren-parker/

oh god this is going to be delectable

Croisquessein
Feb 25, 2005

invisible or nonexistent, and should be treated as such
Oh boy, I worked in a bookstore while this was on the Oprah bookclub list and it was horrible. People clamoring for this awful book, for several months, and then nearly every one getting returned after the fraud became news. Total waste of everybody's time and energy.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
I only know about the book because of my high school using it as an example of plagiarism lol

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
It wasn't plagiarism so much as just embellishing or straight up lying, was it? (Haven't heard the ep yet)

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Improbable Lobster posted:

I only know about the book because of my high school using it as an example of plagiarism lol
It's fraudulent, but as far as I know, it isn't plagiarized.

ed: tab open too long :saddowns:

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
Maybe not plagiarism but it was used as an example of what not to do, I remember that much

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Sham bam bamina! posted:

It's fraudulent, but as far as I know, it isn't plagiarized.

ed: tab open too long :saddowns:

It was about 90% plagiarized. I remember a piece from a now-dead website which found the original book, it was a hardcore scene dude's bio. It was ripping into Frey's story and going "how did nobody figure this out sooner?" based on a lot of the details he poorly sanitized to make it more "acceptable".

I just recall a screaming paragraph about "Glue? Only white trash and poors too loving broke to get a first hit of something or without anyone to steal from turn to GLUE as their big addiction, rich boy here woulda had whatever he wanted if he just asked a dude."

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
There's something amusing about a wrestling fan throwing insults at boxing fans but I really Don't Want to Go There.

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever
I can't listen to this show anymore, collision's gimmick has bled from "hahah I'm insufferable *wink*" to "no this is who I actually am, I don't need to couch it in pretend now"

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
Ugh, it's not just me, then. JW's as personable as ever, but between Chris and Lauren, I spent the entire episode torn between wanting to hear people rip into a lovely book and wishing to God that it could be anyone besides the inhumanly smug assholes that I was hearing.

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

There's something amusing about a wrestling fan throwing insults at boxing fans but I really Don't Want to Go There.
By all means, go there.

Sham bam bamina! fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Sep 5, 2017

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I honestly don't give a flying gently caress about either wrestling or boxing and I find a fan of one (assuming JW wrote the episode description) being dismissive of the other amusing. The end, no moral.

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever

Sham bam bamina! posted:

Ugh, it's not just me, then. JW's as personable as ever, but between Chris and Lauren, I spent the entire episode torn between wanting to hear people rip into a lovely book and wishing to God that it could be anyone besides the inhumanly smug assholes that I was hearing.

Yeah I love JW, he has that dorky enthusiasm that makes me want to keep listening. Every time Chris talks lately I can almost see the sneer on his face

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
What makes it so galling is how nakedly hypocritical it all is. The overall tone of the episode is how much better they understand themselves to be than Frey, and while that's probably true because he's a shithead, what they gloat most over is how rich and white he is. And I just want to yell in their faces, "Hello?!" Like a creative writing major who can support herself with "word art" doesn't already have the confidence and the exact goddamn lifestyle of the "mediocre white guy" on her shirt. gently caress you.

Sham bam bamina! fucked around with this message at 13:32 on Sep 5, 2017

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
Hunh, I prefer Chris. No real reason why.

I wish they'd do more classical lit, too, while I'm posting in here.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

Hunh, I prefer Chris. No real reason why.

I wish they'd do more classical lit, too, while I'm posting in here.

What classic lit episodes have they done? I'd rather not have them try to take A Pilgrim's Progress or something down a few pegs if that's what you're suggesting.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

Drunkboxer posted:

What classic lit episodes have they done? I'd rather not have them try to take A Pilgrim's Progress or something down a few pegs if that's what you're suggesting.

I don't know, it might be pretty funny to hear them do Pilgrim's Progress. I was thinking today that I'd enjoy how angry Tess of the d'Urbervilles would make them.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Sham bam bamina! posted:

What makes it so galling is how nakedly hypocritical it all is. The overall tone of the episode is how much better they understand themselves to be than Frey, and while that's probably true because he's a shithead, what they gloat most over is how rich and white he is. And I just want to yell in their faces, "Hello?!" Like a creative writing major who can support herself with "word art" doesn't already have the confidence and the exact goddamn lifestyle of the "mediocre white guy" on her shirt. gently caress you.

Yeah, Lauren Parker is pretty awful.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

I don't know, it might be pretty funny to hear them do Pilgrim's Progress. I was thinking today that I'd enjoy how angry Tess of the d'Urbervilles would make them.

I heard enough complaining about that in the 9th grade. I don't want more.

Apes-Ma
Aug 9, 2011

Your cage isn't getting any bigger.

Sham bam bamina! posted:

Lauren Parker doesn't strike me as exceptionally privileged like James Frey does. Looking at her patreon, it doesn't look like she can support herself on word art either.

Are you gonna complain about Collision only reccomending books by women next?

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
I'll hazard a guess that Lauren has an income besides her Patreon. Neither podcasters nor authors have to be James Frey to be bourgeois, and this entire podcast is as bourgeois as the generalized targets of Chris's and Lauren's disdain. "Thank God I'm not like them," is an awful credo in any case, but it's especially cretinous when you literally are "them".

Sham bam bamina! fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Sep 5, 2017

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Sham bam bamina! posted:

I'll hazard a guess that Lauren has an income besides her Patreon. Neither podcasters nor authors have to be James Frey to be bourgeois, and this entire podcast is incredibly bourgeois. "Thank God I'm not like them," is an awful credo (and they've certainly made it their credo) in any case, but it's especially cretinous when you literally are "them".

Collision posted a photo of himself on his Twitter once and at least one of the replies was "ugh look at this white guy chode" because he looks exactly like the kind of guy they make fun of

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Man as someone who's been on record as getting annoyed when they go all Californian holier-than-thou, this episode did not bother me at all.

I just really liked Collision reading that stupid passage about the beaver while Lose Yourself played