Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
His profile looks like someone.

Eric Bana?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

The Ellis run is good, but let's be frank it's just another Ellis series of cool rear end dude doing cool rear end things because he's awesome, which is great. Lemires run actually feels like something is happening with the character, using things specific to that character, whereas to me Ellis's run could be about Batman or Nemesis or any of the other hyper competent people he has written.

Catfishenfuego
Oct 21, 2008

Moist With Indignation
I dream of a TV series using elements from both Lemire and Ellis's run. Also get Gabriel Byrne to play Khonshu.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Scaramouche posted:

The Ellis run is good, but let's be frank it's just another Ellis series of cool rear end dude doing cool rear end things because he's awesome, which is great. Lemires run actually feels like something is happening with the character, using things specific to that character, whereas to me Ellis's run could be about Batman or Nemesis or any of the other hyper competent people he has written.

For a minute I was thinking of Millar's Nemesis guy then I remembered that Dr. Nemesis is also a thing, but I don't think Ellis wrote either, they are just very much in his style. Batman autopiloting batwing to smash guys on roofs would be something real special.

Gravel would be a pretty cool show.

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

Scaramouche posted:

Nah, it's got solid Moon Knight elements. From mystical elements like Khonshu and fighting ghosts to his mental illness to Moon Knight fitting the role of a protector of those that travel at night to his changing costumes, etc. I think perhaps it's just a bit more subdued because both the volume before and after it went all in with the "LOOK HOW INSANE HE IS!" angle.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

It is extremely Ellis though, for better or for worse.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
I wasn't sure whether to put this in the funny or badass thread. U.S.Avengers #7

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

TwoPair posted:

I wasn't sure whether to put this in the funny or badass thread. U.S.Avengers #7

That is definitely loving badass, Ares was always awesome. And he was brought back because Hydra valued only strength? Only for it to bite them in the rear end. Makes me wish the reveal happened in the main book versus NazSteve.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Honestly, they should bring Phobos back so he can kill the poo poo out of Gorgon.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

wiegieman posted:

Honestly, they should bring Phobos back so he can kill the poo poo out of Gorgon.

A 6-12 issue mini of Phobos hunting down Gorgon written by oh I dunno Remender in the same vein as X-Force is something I'd be down for.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Jiro posted:

A 6-12 issue mini of Phobos hunting down Gorgon written by oh I dunno Remender in the same vein as X-Force is something I'd be down for.

Watchmen was 12 issues. I don't think two guys fighting each other has to be that long.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
Okay, is Ares seriously back or is this just like the Sentry appearing for a cup of coffee in Uncanny Avengers and then disappearing for 5 years? Because I could definitely do with more Ares.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Nilbop posted:

Okay, is Ares seriously back or is this just like the Sentry appearing for a cup of coffee in Uncanny Avengers and then disappearing for 5 years? Because I could definitely do with more Ares.

Al Ewing brought him back in Contest of Champions. Whether anyone bothers using him remains to be seen, but Ewing is clearly having fun with the guy.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Lurdiak posted:

Watchmen was 12 issues. I don't think two guys fighting each other has to be that long.

I was thinking more along the lines of post Secret Empire you have a Gorgon that's gone to ground, and Phobos tracking him down killing Hydra and Hand ninjas going all over the globe kinda thing.

TenCentFang
Sep 5, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo

Lurdiak posted:

No, you're right. It should be twenty issues, and after that, it's another story arc fight. People punching other people makes for some of the best reading.

TenCentFang
Sep 5, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo

:black101:

I have no idea what this is but I assume it's a Daredevil.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

TenCentFang posted:

Is that Kingpin ignoring Kilgrave? :stare:

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe

TenCentFang posted:

Who is this purple man and why is he giving Kingpin orders?

oh wait :downs:

TenCentFang
Sep 5, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo
I like it better than the famous Doom page because Fisk actually struggles for a moment instead of just being the Marvel version of Batgod.

TenCentFang fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Sep 23, 2017

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

TenCentFang posted:

I like it better than the famous Doom page because Fisk actually struggles for a moment instead of just being the Marvel version of Batgod.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

I like the doom one simply cause the art is so much better.

E: yeeaaaah thats the stuff

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
If you don't allow the Doom to no-sell Street level motherfuckers like kilgrave how the hell are we supposed to take him seriously when he Chumps gods?

TenCentFang
Sep 5, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo

Toshimo posted:

If you don't allow the Doom to no-sell Street level motherfuckers like kilgrave how the hell are we supposed to take him seriously when he Chumps gods?

Not that Kilgrave is on the level of Darkseid, but it feels like this. The point of non-superpowered characters is that they can't no-sell anything.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

TenCentFang posted:

That's from Marvel Team-Up Annual #4 and I think it was Frank Miller's first writing credit at Marvel.

Edit: Whoa, that's not true at all. I think it's his first credit as just writer and not writer/artist.

How Wonderful! fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Sep 23, 2017

ecavalli
Nov 18, 2012

TenCentFang posted:

Not that Kilgrave is on the level of Darkseid, but it feels like this. The point of non-superpowered characters is that they can't no-sell anything.

Haven't read much Dr. Doom, huh? Being god-tier through sheer force of will is his whole deal. That and shouting at Reed Richards.

TenCentFang
Sep 5, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo

ecavalli posted:

Haven't read much Dr. Doom, huh? Being god-tier through sheer force of will is his whole deal. That and shouting at Reed Richards.

I love Doom's willpower but what I love more is Kingpin's willpower visibly fighting back instead of just tanking it.

TenCentFang fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Sep 23, 2017

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

I bet Cap would no sell Purple Man like a mother fucker. Spider-Man would eventually overcome his control after spending a few pages agonizing over letting down Aunt May.

TenCentFang
Sep 5, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'll explain my point of view in the common geek language of wrestling. If Roman Reigns no sells someone, it's awful. But if Rey Mysterio wins a match after after a long, hard fight, that's awesome.

Doctor Doom is basically Roman Reigns; Potentially cool with mostly terrible writing.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Open Marriage Night posted:

I bet Cap would no sell Purple Man like a mother fucker. Newspaper Spider-Man would eventually overcome his control after spending a few pages agonizing over letting down Aunt May. getting hit by a brick.

FTFY.

ecavalli
Nov 18, 2012

TenCentFang posted:

I'll explain my point of view in the common geek language of wrestling. If Roman Reigns no sells someone, it's awful. But if Rey Mysterio wins a match after after a long, hard fight, that's awesome.

Doctor Doom is basically Roman Reigns; Potentially cool with mostly terrible writing.

That's an utterly bullshit analogy, both because Reigns is FAR less popular than Doom has ever been, and again, because no selling people like Kilgrave is Doom's entire raison d'etre; He's a supervillain who is inherently above other supervillains. Sorry this is giving you so much trouble, but this hill you've chosen to die on is a very dumb one.

TenCentFang
Sep 5, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo
You're taking this way more seriously than I am. That's not even in response to anything, it's just like, I didn't think the disagreement we were having was that enflamed.

Anyway, another more serious analogy might be if Doom flicked the Beyonders away with his fingers. Doom is cool because he comes out on top of massively one sided uphill battles. It's not cool if he can just step over the hill. As the Kingpin does, I can buy Doom resisting Kilgrave, but not without even a flinch.

TenCentFang fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Sep 23, 2017

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Doom is probably also augmented to gently caress with internal technology and mystical bullshit. Dude naked in a field would probably count as superhuman.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

goatface posted:

Doom is probably also augmented to gently caress with internal technology and mystical bullshit. Dude naked in a field would probably count as superhuman.

A Celestial stripped Doom naked and dumped him on Counter Earth. The first thing naked Doom did was kill a Lion and skin it.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

The Question IRL posted:

A Celestial stripped Doom naked and dumped him on Counter Earth. The first thing naked Doom did was kill a Lion and skin it.

What was that in? I need it inside my brain.

TenCentFang
Sep 5, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo

The Question IRL posted:

Eh, that sounds about right.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

TenCentFang posted:

You're taking this way more seriously than I am. That's not even in response to anything, it's just like, I didn't think the disagreement we were having was that enflamed.

Anyway, another more serious analogy might be if Doom flicked the Beyonders away with his fingers. Doom is cool because he comes out on top of massively one sided uphill battles. It's not cool if he can just step over the hill. As the Kingpin does, I can buy Doom resisting Kilgrave, but not without even a flinch.

But Doom is a villain. If other villains make Doom their bitch, then how are we supposed to take a powered hero fighting Doom seriously? Unpowered heroes should have uphill struggles for the audience to root for, absolutely but villains need to be powerful because they ARE the uphill struggle for the hero to overcome. Doom has to be better than Purple Man for story purposes because Purple Man was frankly (until Alias) Z-tier. Doom has to be able to credibly fight the entire Fantastic Four on his own. You could argue that having unpowered villains for powered heroes is therefore a bad idea in storytelling terms, which would be a different conversation (which again, we should otherwise we wouldnt have Doom, but it' still be a more interesting discussion).

To put it in terms you might understand; You want Andre to bump for the Brooklyn Brawler on TV days before a PPV match with Hogan.

TenCentFang
Sep 5, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo
Did Kilgrave make Fisk his bitch?

CityMidnightJunky
May 11, 2013

by Smythe

''This is my obliterator cane''

....it's a gun Fisk. Other people have guns. They call them guns.

TenCentFang
Sep 5, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo
Sure, I guess that's what the lower-class call them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

TenCentFang posted:

Did Kilgrave make Fisk his bitch?

Fisk wasnt actually that big a deal until Daredevil became popular (he was created as a spider-man villain, but spider-man had way more interesting enemies who could do everything Fisk could do AND were a physical threat). Fisks main opponent is now one guy who isnt as blind as a regular blind guy, and he doesnt have to be a physical threat (although he is shown to be very strong and able to hold his own in a fight with Daredevil. I think he's at least once said to have trained Sumo believe it or not). Can you imagine a fight between Fisk and the Fantastic Four or the Avengers?