Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

insider
Feb 22, 2007

A secret room... always my favourite room in a house.

Evil Fluffy posted:

Kaladin going back home is going to be terrible. If his parents are there and doing ok then he'll break down about failing Tien. If something's happened to them he'll mope and blame himself. If the light-eyed lord there did something to them he'll probably break his oath (no, I don't think his saying the oath late in book 2 is going to matter, because it's Kaladin), again, by killing the guy or something and spend the rest of the book trying to make up for it.

At this point unless he's magically grown up in the time he takes to travel there it's going to be so, so bad one way or another.

e: I'm not sure what the best case could be considering his childhood crush was going to marry the lord's son but after that son died she was engaged to the lord instead, even though the guy was probably older than her own dad? Maybe we'll get lucky and he won't reach the town, or it'll be covered as a "Kaladin arrives" end to a chapter, and we don't hear from him again until he's leaving the area and we just get a recap of whatever emo brooding he did.

Oathbringer 1-6 spoilers: Wow you called this pretty perfectly. Now watch him be arrested for 75% of the book because he can't get any stormlight to use his powers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.
I don't know, Kaladin's parents seemed surprisingly okay with Brightlord Roshone. His mother seemed to imply that he has changed, and his parents could have left that town at any point but chose not to. I'm going to guess that Roshone, while not a very good person, was put up to a lot of the evil things that he did by Amaram or some other higher lord.

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.
Even if he has no Stormlight, Kaladin can still just summon Syl as a Shardblade and instantly outrank Roshone as a light-eyed Shardholder.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

L-O-N posted:

It could be that they are not attacking but gathering first.

Or Roshone lost so much money he had to sell off his parshmen. Seems like he's pretty hosed overall right now, so maybe he just couldn't afford them. I'll admit it's pretty farfetched, but seems like it might be the easiest answer.

L-O-N
Sep 13, 2004

Pillbug

Subvisual Haze posted:

I don't know, Kaladin's parents seemed surprisingly okay with Brightlord Roshone. His mother seemed to imply that he has changed, and his parents could have left that town at any point but chose not to. I'm going to guess that Roshone, while not a very good person, was put up to a lot of the evil things that he did by Amaram or some other higher lord.

Regardless of whether the bad stuff Roshone did at Kolinar was at the behest of others, the bad stuff he did at Hearthstone was 100% on him. I doubt any important Lighteyes cared about what happened at a little town like that.

insider posted:

Oathbringer 1-6 spoilers: Wow you called this pretty perfectly. Now watch him be arrested for 75% of the book because he can't get any stormlight to use his powers.

Kaladin would wipe the floor with Roshone's guards, even without summoning Syl. I doubt he would need to, though. He probably has a writ from Dalinar and Elhokar outlining his position and authority.

It's pretty funny how when Kaladin first saw Roshone, he thought Roshone was a curt Warrior. And now:

now posted:

Roshone wore a lighteyes’ coat that was several seasons out of fashion—Adolin would have shaken his head at that.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Alright, time to ignore this thread until I've read the book. I'm trying to be better about not spoiling book/shows/movies, and these black bars are too tempting.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

That closing to chapter 6

Edit: I'm not sure that Kaladin knows what an "oath" is.

Potato Salad fucked around with this message at 13:00 on Sep 7, 2017

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

The First of the Adorable Dead

Potato Salad posted:

Edit: I'm not sure that Kaladin knows what an "oath" is.

I'm guessing that punching a dude but not actually threatening his life is probably fine...

eszett engma
May 7, 2013
I'm really looking forward to more of Kaladin exploiting his newfound lighteye privilege to get away with punching fuckers in the mouth.

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

I'm kinda thinking that if Roshone is truly changed hes gonna laugh this off and say, okay, I deserved that, and everything will be fine without Kaladin pulling Syl out.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

Since Kaladin's previous moral trial was to protect someone he hates, I'm betting next will be protecting an enemy (so long as it is right). I'm guessing Kaladin will need to defend some innocent parshmen against a pogrom. Even better if the mob is full of hometown people he just reconciled himself with.

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

Subvisual Haze posted:

Since Kaladin's previous moral trial was to protect someone he hates, I'm betting next will be protecting an enemy (so long as it is right). I'm guessing Kaladin will need to defend some innocent parshmen against a pogrom. Even better if the mob is full of hometown people he just reconciled himself with.

I kinda assume somewhere along the line Kaladin is going to lead the towns folk to Kholinar and meet up with Jasnah there so that we have groups of main characters and have them interacting together.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

Pash posted:

I kinda assume somewhere along the line Kaladin is going to lead the towns folk to Kholinar

Pitchforks are sort of a type of spear, right?

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Something I was wondering: Since Radiants can draw stormlight from infused sources is there any indication as to what keeps them from drawing it out of Shardplate, considering those things seem to be solidified Stormlight* powered by Stormlight? I can sorta understand Szeth not being able to do it but an actual Radiant should be able to at least pull the stormlight from the stones in the armor if they can't draw in the armor itself.

* It's mentioned how when the armor's broken or otherwise 'regrown' it involve constantly feeding Stormlight to a piece of the Shardplate to regenerate the entire suit, IIRC. That sounds an awful lot like "magic mcguffin in Shardplate converts stormlight in to solid mass" and then running stormlight through it results in the wearer's increased potency. Unless the plate itself has an anti-drain property, at the very least an opponent radiant should be able to draw the gem's stormlight from plate worn by a non-Radiant, if they can't drain the plate itself.

Pash posted:

I'm kinda thinking that if Roshone is truly changed hes gonna laugh this off and say, okay, I deserved that, and everything will be fine without Kaladin pulling Syl out.

This would be so weird that I'm not sure I could handle it. Something horrible has to happen. Maybe when Kaladin sees his childhood crush as a grown woman, who possibly has had kids with Roshone he'll go in to one of his dumb moods. Alternately, when he finds out what happened to the town's parshmen, he'll hear that she died and he was just barely too late to show up and save her.

I'm not sure I could handle Kaladin suddenly being level-headed. Even if the recent events just shocked some sanity in to him it'd still seem like too much too fast.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
Shardplate:

It seems like Elhokar has been drawing stormlight from his shardplate to fuel his paranoid binges where he weakens or damages various things surrounding him

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE posted:

Shardplate:

It seems like Elhokar has been drawing stormlight from his shardplate to fuel his paranoid binges where he weakens or damages various things surrounding him

That just seems like the result of normal shardplate usage since shardplate gives the wearer superhuman strength.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Evil Fluffy posted:

That just seems like the result of normal shardplate usage since shardplate gives the wearer superhuman strength.

Things that are not his armor, that he's near, take mysterious catastrophic damage that he believes are the result of assassination attempts. These "assassination attempts" receive scrutiny and investigation but no attribution can be made. Assassinations tend to be attempted in person in this world (so far) so it's slightly less likely that there could be some other faction out there (so far) who is actively making real attempts on his life but who we've not yet had a POV from. And yes, I'm discounting Moash in this.

I think he's actually exhibiting "Division" surgebinding powers, which are the domain of Skybreakers or Dustbringers. Not sure why Cryptics would be showing themselves to him, though.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

A lot of the scenes mention Kaladin puffing out storm light or feeling it leak from his skin. While dramatic looking this sounds really inefficient. I'm guessing the original function of shardplate is stormlight insulation and storage along with its protective effects. Like a Fremen stilsuit but for stormlight.

Sort of like shardblades I'm guessing current shardplate is missing some of its original radiant functionality.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
Helmets, for one.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

I always kinda assumed that shard plate wearing Radiants using stormlight, such as those from Dalinar's visions, (1) drew on the shard plate gems for stormlight and (2) expended far less stormlight due to the armors encasing / recycling properties.

Didn't Adolin describe shard plate as having a very close fit? It seemed as though wearers would hardly have a bag of infused gems under it, and yet the Radiants Dalinar encounters are constantly and continuously 'charged up.'

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Evil Fluffy posted:

Something I was wondering: Since Radiants can draw stormlight from infused sources is there any indication as to what keeps them from drawing it out of Shardplate, considering those things seem to be solidified Stormlight* powered by Stormlight? I can sorta understand Szeth not being able to do it but an actual Radiant should be able to at least pull the stormlight from the stones in the armor if they can't draw in the armor itself.

* It's mentioned how when the armor's broken or otherwise 'regrown' it involve constantly feeding Stormlight to a piece of the Shardplate to regenerate the entire suit, IIRC. That sounds an awful lot like "magic mcguffin in Shardplate converts stormlight in to solid mass" and then running stormlight through it results in the wearer's increased potency. Unless the plate itself has an anti-drain property, at the very least an opponent radiant should be able to draw the gem's stormlight from plate worn by a non-Radiant, if they can't drain the plate itself.

The WWE match with Kaladin and Adolin tag-teaming in WoR had Kaladin use a piece of broken shardplate as brass knuckles. It fed off his body's stormlight to stay intact.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Tunicate posted:

The WWE match with Kaladin and Adolin tag-teaming in WoR had Kaladin use a piece of broken shardplate as brass knuckles. It fed off his body's stormlight to stay intact.

But it's also been pointed out that using surgebinding against someone in shardplate is either extremely difficult or impossible. Some sort of shielding to keep stormlight in and prevent others from taking it seems very reasonable.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

seaborgium posted:

But it's also been pointed out that using surgebinding against someone in shardplate is either extremely difficult or impossible. Some sort of shielding to keep stormlight in and prevent others from taking it seems very reasonable.

Well the gems are on the inside, so it's not like you can get at them from outside.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The gemstones themselves are probably just a workaround to approximate the earlier function of radiant armor.

Szeth even mentions not using shardplate because the armor gems gently caress with his lashings, which wouldn't make any sense based on how the stuff functioned previously in flashbacks.

Kalas
Jul 27, 2007

Subvisual Haze posted:

The gemstones themselves are probably just a workaround to approximate the earlier function of radiant armor.

Szeth even mentions not using shardplate because the armor gems gently caress with his lashings, which wouldn't make any sense based on how the stuff functioned previously in flashbacks.

I think that is because Szeth is powered from his sword, being not a radiant. The armor may interfere with it.
That or weight. He uses an extremely acrobatic fighting style.

The Gardenator
May 4, 2007

Yams Fan
When Kaladin summons his shardblade for the first time, he sucks all the stormlight from the nearby gems in lanterns.

quote:

The entire hallway went black as the Stormlight in every lamp down the length of the hall winked out. For a moment, they stood in darkness.

He did this in the presence of two full shardbearers, yet their armor continued to function (which needs stormlight infused gems to function). Therefore, Kaladin did not drain the nearby stormlight from the shardplate.

We know almost nothing about the powers of the radiants and voidbinders, so it is not beyond reason that shardplate can be drained. There is also that bat thing that stole the stormlight from Lift, so the ability to remove stormlight against the will of another is already in the series.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

In line when my previous post, it stands to reason that shardplate's insulating effect protects against all types of stormlight leakage, including having it sucked out by another surgebinder. And given this, and that scene in WoK where Kaladin draws stormlight from the gems worn by the Parshendi, it makes me wonder if it'll turn out to be the case that shardplate was originally intended less to enhance physical protection and fighting capacity, and more to shield one's stormlight from enemy surgebinders in battle.

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song before I go / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today
Oh boy, a Cosmere theory discussion. Not too long ago while waiting for the Oathbringer teaser chapters, I binge-read through the compiled WoBs from reddit and there were loads of info there. Here we go. I tried to link to WoBs where I could but I cannot figure out how to link to individual entries in Theoryland instead of the whole interview (sorry! Just search for shardplate on the page)

Evil Fluffy posted:

is there any indication as to what keeps them from drawing it out of Shardplate

Yes, it has to do with how Investiture and Realmatic Theory works in the Cosmere. Basically, Shardplate itself is invested and that makes it more difficult. Sanderson has an explainer of the theory here.

Shardplate:

WoB has confirmed there is something going on there.

I think he's actually exhibiting "Division" surgebinding powers, which are the domain of Skybreakers or Dustbringers. Not sure why Cryptics would be showing themselves to him, though.

I'm not convinced. A Shardbearer can do some pretty serious damage all on their own, I don't think they need Division to help that along. The presence of the Cryptics makes me inclined to think he's another potential Lightweaver.

Habibi posted:

In line when my previous post, it stands to reason that shardplate's insulating effect protects against all types of stormlight leakage, including having it sucked out by another surgebinder.

seaborgium posted:

Kalas posted:

I think that is because Szeth is powered from his sword, being not a radiant. The armor may interfere with it.
That or weight. He uses an extremely acrobatic fighting style.

It's less a property of Shardplate itself and more of how Investiture works in the Cosmere.

The Gardenator posted:

We know almost nothing about the powers of the radiants and voidbinders, so it is not beyond reason that shardplate can be drained. There is also that bat thing that stole the stormlight from Lift, so the ability to remove stormlight against the will of another is already in the series.

The Gardenator posted:

There is also that bat thing that stole the stormlight from Lift, so the ability to remove stormlight against the will of another is already in the series.
WoB has confirmed it's virtually impossible to drain stormlight from the gemstones of someone else's plate. But bringing a larkin into play would be interesting because it feeds on Investiture...

Habibi posted:

Didn't Adolin describe shard plate as having a very close fit?

Brandon has confirmed that Shardplate adapts to fit the wearer.

Subvisual Haze posted:

Sort of like shardblades I'm guessing current shardplate is missing some of its original radiant functionality.

Also confirmed by Brandon. There are hints in Dalinar's visions as to how it used to function. Interestingly, the gemstones on Shardplate apparently got added roughly around the same time as gemstones to Shardblades.

Hopeford
Oct 15, 2010

Eh, why not?

Tunicate posted:

The WWE match was probably my favorite thing in WoR. It was so over the top in a beautiful way. Everything from the random rear end interference, to the random WWE level rules waiving as "IT'S FINE IT'S FINE LET THEM FIGHT IT'S IN THE RULEBOOK" to the dramatic finger pointing promo at the end. I only hope we get one more of those.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Hopeford posted:

The WWE match was probably my favorite thing in WoR. It was so over the top in a beautiful way. Everything from the random rear end interference, to the random WWE level rules waiving as "IT'S FINE IT'S FINE LET THEM FIGHT IT'S IN THE RULEBOOK" to the dramatic finger pointing promo at the end. I only hope we get one more of those.

MY GOD THAT'S VASHER'S MUSIC.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

It was HOID, austin! It was HOID ALL ALONG!

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Three chapters every Tuesday isn't enough to sate me

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

M_Gargantua posted:

Especially if one of the three chapters have been released previously in Arcanum Unbounded or elsewhere on the web (chapter 3 and chapter 5, respectively) :(

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
Ask me about fixed-gear bikes (aka "fixies")

M_Gargantua posted:

I'm climbing the goddamn walls. In the past two weeks I've rocketed through all the mistborn books, now I'm looking into sourcing a copy of elantris since that and warbreaker are the only cosmere books I haven't read.

I'm saving The Stormlight Archives for very last so that I can hopefully go from WOR to Oathbringer immediately.

That plan isn't going to work LEAK THE EBOOK SANDERSON

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

SeaGoatSupreme posted:

I'm climbing the goddamn walls. In the past two weeks I've rocketed through all the mistborn books, now I'm looking into sourcing a copy of elantris since that and warbreaker are the only cosmere books I haven't read.

I'm saving The Stormlight Archives for very last so that I can hopefully go from WOR to Oathbringer immediately.

That plan isn't going to work LEAK THE EBOOK SANDERSON

I'd definitely do Warbreaker asap as it seems to have the most crossover with Stormlight so far.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Sanderson has heard your plea. He will now be putting up annotations for chapters 1-12 for tWoK as part of the oathbringer leadup.

The annotations for the double eye symbol are already up.

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

STRONG as an OX and TWICE as SMART
What's the best source for chapter-by-chapter summaries of TWoK and WoR? I'd like to refresh my memory before Oathbringer, but I don't have time to re-read the series.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Aggro posted:

What's the best source for chapter-by-chapter summaries of TWoK and WoR? I'd like to refresh my memory before Oathbringer, but I don't have time to re-read the series.

I dunno about best but there are some up on Tor

Megafunk
Oct 19, 2010

YEAH!

Aggro posted:

Coppermind has pretty comprehensive chapter summaries but they almost seem more for resolving forum arguments than quick refreshers:

TWoK
WoR

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midnight-
Aug 22, 2007

Pain or damage don't end the world, or despair, or fuckin' beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man - and give some back.
I'm making my way through pretty much everything cosmere before Oathbringer comes out. So far I've read both Stormlight books, Mistborn Era1, Era2 and secret history, as well as Warbreaker.

Where do I go next? Ive got arcanum unbounded to read Edgedancer, but do I read Elantris first? Is there anything else I've missed?