Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zombie Dachshund
Feb 26, 2016

I didn't do anything fancy: made a rub (salt/pepper/garlic powder/oregano) and let them mellow in the fridge for an hour, then popped them on the grill. 300 degrees for about an hour.

Next time I'll probably sous vide them before finishing on the grill. They are awfully fatty and a long, slow cook would give an even better texture.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dolicf
Sep 12, 2010

Chicken & waffles, thyme honey butter

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

I made ramen with pork tenderloin marinated in soy sauce and red chili paste

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
Smoke the lamb ribs you heathens.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.
Fried green tomatoes with shrimp remoulade and summer corn puree.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Tezcatlipoca posted:

Smoke the lamb ribs you heathens.

smoked lamb is amazing

Doc Walrus
Jan 2, 2014

Cryin' Chris is a WASTE.
Nap Ghost
DUCK BRATS

topped with Fig Honey Jam with a side of smoked cheddar mashed potatoes.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

Doc Walrus posted:

DUCK BRATS

Good beer

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Doc Walrus posted:

DUCK BRATS

Did you eat the potatoes with your hands be honest you're with friends here

Doc Walrus
Jan 2, 2014

Cryin' Chris is a WASTE.
Nap Ghost

VelociBacon posted:

Did you eat the potatoes with your hands be honest you're with friends here

No, I just didn't feel like the fork belonged in the picture (it was store bought)

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

Doc Walrus posted:

No, I just didn't feel like the fork belonged in the picture (it was store bought)

Feel ya. I hate it when all my homemade forks are at the blacksmith for a touch up and I gotta slum it with store bought

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

Doc Walrus posted:

Should've included chopsticks.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
Should've scooped the mashed potatoes with the sausage.

Doc Walrus
Jan 2, 2014

Cryin' Chris is a WASTE.
Nap Ghost
My whole life I've just been eating mashed potatoes with a fork like a little bitch. Now I know better, thanks to you guys.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Crumbly corn tortillas make delicious scrambled quesadillas

And, if your wife eats flour tortillas, you get some photogenic ones too:

Grilled poblano, smoked mozzarella & pepperjack, refried black beans. Extra cheese loose in the pan for cheese crust on the outside.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Chicken, andouille & shrimp gumbo.

dolicf
Sep 12, 2010
Gatdamn. That gumbo looks phenomenal. I know what I'm making soon.

Zombie Dachshund
Feb 26, 2016

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Looks awesome, and +1 for the adorable novelty bowl.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Phil Moscowitz posted:

I don't know if it exists anymore but I know my parents had those same bowls growing up. Remember where they are from?

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

That Works posted:

I don't know if it exists anymore but I know my parents had those same bowls growing up. Remember where they are from?

They were a wedding gift but they're pretty common in kitchen stores. Here they are online, no idea whether that's a typical price for them or not.

https://cajuncreations.com/new-orleans-restaurant-recipe-gumbo-bowls

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Phil Moscowitz posted:

They were a wedding gift but they're pretty common in kitchen stores. Here they are online, no idea whether that's a typical price for them or not.

https://cajuncreations.com/new-orleans-restaurant-recipe-gumbo-bowls

Thanks! We definitely had the Turtle Soup and the gumbo one. I think they all got left behind in Katrina though.

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst
Soaked some pinto beans for refried beans yesterday and then realized I had no tortillas or cheese today. Made refried beans anyways and whipped up some bullshit 'buffalo tofu' and pico. Kinda random, but drat if it wasn't delicious!

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
My fiancee came down to visit and we braised some oxtails (and made a potato salad).

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

I love oxtail and that looks delicious.

dolicf
Sep 12, 2010

Ricotta gnocchi w/ brown butter & sage

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

Picadillo with Fried Plantains following the recipe from the GWS wiki.

emotive
Dec 26, 2006

disregard

emotive fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Sep 8, 2017

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

dolicf posted:

One of the best meals to be had. Yours looks good!

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

dolicf posted:

What's your process for the gnocchi? I make it routinely but I've never had success aside from boiling them. Did you fry yours or boil+fry?

dolicf
Sep 12, 2010
Boiled, then fried in the brown butter for a bit. I was hoping to get a bit of a sear on them, but it didn't work out for a number of reasons.

As for the gnocchi itself, I've always had good luck with Kenji's recipe: http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2015/03/ricotta-gnocchi-homemade-food-lab-recipe.html

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Brown butter as in butter that's melted, browned, and translucent? I usually just call that a separated butter sauce and a failure on my part :(

dolicf
Sep 12, 2010
Yeah, basically. As it melts, the solids separate and start to brown. The gnocchi picture I posted is a good example; all the brown specks on the gnocchi are the milk solids.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Wait, maybe I'm confused. What's the difference between a separated butter sauce and brown butter?

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
Ghee has those brown spots removed so it is more pure, doesn't smoke at medium heat like butter. Browned butter is just that-butter that has been cooked until it's brown.

blixa
Jan 9, 2006

Kein bestandteil sein
I made Serious Eats' Spanakopita and it came out great as usual.

the_chavi
Mar 2, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Vegetable tart using stuff I picked up at my neighborhood market in Turkey. The lira has crashed against the dollar, so I walked away with about 10 kg of fresh produce for $20 or so.

Thoht
Aug 3, 2006

Pollyanna posted:

Wait, maybe I'm confused. What's the difference between a separated butter sauce and brown butter?

A butter sauce is just a sauce with butter as a main component. They can be emulsified sauces, such as beurre blanc, hollandaise, or béarnaise, in which case if the emulsion breaks (the sauce separates) it's a flaw. But not all butter sauces are emulsified, for instance meuniere sauce or brown butter.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Today I discovered food dye paints and markers.

dolicf
Sep 12, 2010
More brownbutterchat:

butter is basically made up of 3 main things: water emulsified in fat with suspended particles of milk solids. To make brown butter, you cook it over low-ish heat. As the temp of the butter nears boiling, the butter separates, and the emulsified water begins to boil. You've seen this when you drop butter in to a hot pan and it starts to foam. Because water has a very high thermal capacity, you basically can't bring the butter (or any of its components) above boiling temp until the water is gone. If you keep cooking it, eventually the foaming stops because all of the water has evaporated, now leaving you with just milk solids and fat. At this point, with no water, the temp is free to rise again. The milk solids in the butter will begin to brown before anything appreciable happens to the fat. In fact, black butter is a thing too, and you can even burn the ever loving poo poo out of the milk solids before anything real happens to the fat. It's important to note that unlike straight butter, brown butter isn't an emulsion. It's a suspension with your milk solids suspended in fat. If you make brown butter and let it sit for a while, all the milk solids will drop out of suspension and accumulate at the bottom.

As someone else noted, ghee or clarified butter is taking butter to the stage where you boil all the water out, then straining out the milk solids leaving only the fat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

Steve Yun posted:

Today I discovered food dye paints and markers.

Are those macarons? Fun as heck