Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
Yeah it's pretty weird that this dumb book is the one people got bent out of shape about. They're sort of smug in every episode, that's basically what the podcast is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Drunkboxer posted:

Yeah it's pretty weird that this dumb book is the one people got bent out of shape about. They're sort of smug in every episode, that's basically what the podcast is.

People have been steadily complaining about Collision getting worse for awhile now.

Apes-Ma
Aug 9, 2011

Your cage isn't getting any bigger.
Collision is kind of a twat, but he wasn't that bad this episode.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
He's normally balanced out by JW, but the ratio was 2:1 for this one.

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I get sort of irritated when people move out to the coast and do nothing but poo poo on midwestern cities, but that's kind of every podcast so I can't really single this show out for it.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Apes-Ma posted:

Yeah, James Frey is enough of a poo poo I can't really get annoyed at anyone making GBS threads on him

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever

Apes-Ma posted:

I don't know, I guess I don't want to jokingly be called a cheap gently caress for not subscribing another glossy liberal publication that's signal boosting the alt-right, even if *twist!* this time it's about alt-right women!

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.
I read some of these comments before listening to the episode, so I was specifically listening for Collision being smug, and still didn't really notice it. I'm much more annoyed about them constantly bringing up wrestling, and that's mostly J's fault.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

DontMockMySmock posted:

I read some of these comments before listening to the episode, so I was specifically listening for Collision being smug, and still didn't really notice it. I'm much more annoyed about them constantly bringing up wrestling, and that's mostly J's fault.

Yeah surprised it was this rather than one of the many music snob episodes

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Lord, give me the confidence of a mediocre white noise poster.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Guy Mann posted:

I dunno, you clearly already have it

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Guy Mann posted:

Joke's on you, I'm dead inside

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

http://www.idontevenownatelevision.com/2017/09/17/090-a-shot-of-whiskey-and-a-kiss-youll-regret-in-the-morning/

New episode, this time about a book of poetry by a lovely Instagram poet who had to stay home from work when the internet found out about his lovely poetry.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Djeser posted:

http://www.idontevenownatelevision.com/2017/09/17/090-a-shot-of-whiskey-and-a-kiss-youll-regret-in-the-morning/

New episode, this time about a book of poetry by a lovely Instagram poet who had to stay home from work when the internet found out about his lovely poetry.

This is one of those wonderful articles where everyone in it is totally insufferable, from the whiny cigarette poet to the wannabe Twitter social critic to the Hemingway-hating retweeter.

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

is this thread just a zone where people get angry about everyone or what

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
This episode was perfect in every way. lovely book, '80s and '90s indie rock, self-conscious reminiscences, lovely book, entertainingly colorful characterizations of the author, lovely book, desperate not-really-recommendations, and a lovely, lovely book. Everything I listen to this show for. :unsmith:

Also a new segment and new sumo decor!

And that Billy Corgan promo is the most hilarious thing I've heard in a while.

Sham bam bamina! fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Sep 18, 2017

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Djeser posted:

I was actually trying to say that I was excited for this episode because of how everyone involved in The Collin Yost Story was so lovely.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

Djeser posted:

The very concept of self-assuredness is the enemy

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
These dudes always struck me as slightly pretentious as they knocked underhanded softball pitches of literature out of the park, but I definitely rolled my eyes at the One Dude talking about What Poetry Is.
Like the book they're discussing is def garbage but still.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Punkin Spunkin posted:

These dudes always struck me as slightly pretentious as they knocked underhanded softball pitches of literature out of the park, but I definitely rolled my eyes at the One Dude talking about What Poetry Is.
When did he say that? The closest thing I can remember is more "I don't read a lot of poetry, but I know that good writing generally involves a work ethic instead of drinking self-pityingly."

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

This is one of those wonderful articles where everyone in it is totally insufferable, from the whiny cigarette poet to the wannabe Twitter social critic to the Hemingway-hating retweeter.

Questionable poetry aside, I think I sided with the author more than anyone else. Mainly because the woman who started it all makes some crack about 'critiquing' his work when all she really did was call him a woman hater and laugh at his bad poetry.

He's whiny no doubt, but having people constantly trash you for laughs, just because they don't like some harmless poetry, has to sting.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I ate your Mahler avatar! Hahahaha!
The episode is pretty good, I just wish they would edit their eps down to under an hour. I might've even said it here before, but there aren't many podcasts that I want to listen to for an hour and a half straight and this isn't one of them at this point. The last few episodes I've stopped halfway through to listen to something else then finished it later, which isn't a way I like to listen to things.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

DrVenkman posted:

Questionable poetry aside, I think I sided with the author more than anyone else. Mainly because the woman who started it all makes some crack about 'critiquing' his work when all she really did was call him a woman hater and laugh at his bad poetry.

He's whiny no doubt, but having people constantly trash you for laughs, just because they don't like some harmless poetry, has to sting.

If he didn't do that loving obnoxious cigarette gimmick poo poo you might have a point, but he did so he's very extremely justifiably hateable.

JW and Chris's description of him as the titular That Guy from the warning "don't be That Guy" is amazingly on the nose.

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Well I mean I buy it, poetry shouldn't be the exact same thing for hundreds of pages

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

Also Yost's poems are some straight up bad poetry. They gave me flashbacks to TV Tropes poetry in one of the old mockthreads, except douche-flavored instead of pocky-flavored.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
This might be the most deserving book they've ever mocked. (I didn't listen to the Rush Revere episode because I figured the combined insufferability would melt my brain.)

Spark That Bled
Jan 29, 2010

Hungry for responsibility. Horny for teamwork.

And ready to
BUST A NUT
up in this job!

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP
Say what you will about that guy, at least he isn't trying to indoctrinate children with right wing propaganda.

Nemico
Sep 23, 2006

Mahlertov Cocktail posted:

The episode is pretty good, I just wish they would edit their eps down to under an hour. I might've even said it here before, but there aren't many podcasts that I want to listen to for an hour and a half straight and this isn't one of them at this point. The last few episodes I've stopped halfway through to listen to something else then finished it later, which isn't a way I like to listen to things.

I love long podcasts so to each their own v:shobon:v

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

Nemico posted:

I love long podcasts so to each their own v:shobon:v

Yeah that's definitely a personal preference, but I absolutely feel that 45 minutes or less is the best for most podcasts, particularly when they're focused on a single subject. I guess it also doesn't help that I like Collision a whole lot better as a podcast guest than co-host. I understand that it's a lot easier to make a podcast without having to get a guest every time, but rotating co-hosts with JW as the anchor was a lot more fun. Again, personal taste. Collision is good but I don't find him as entertaining episode after episode after episode.

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

I listen to three hour podcast episodes of dithering nerds talking about individual dark souls levels, get on my level :unsmigghh:

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
The longer, the better, for me.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

If he didn't do that loving obnoxious cigarette gimmick poo poo you might have a point, but he did so he's very extremely justifiably hateable.

JW and Chris's description of him as the titular That Guy from the warning "don't be That Guy" is amazingly on the nose.

Oh no doubt. But at the end of the day it is just a gimmick and a harmless one at that pretty much says I'm all about looking like a guy who writes deep and meaningful poetry instead of actually writing deep and meaningful poetry. I just don't think anyone else comes out of it looking any better, and they don't have a poo poo gimmick as an excuse.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Sham bam bamina! posted:

This episode was perfect in every way.
Except for where they said Two Princes is a bad song. :argh:

Actually, that happens a lot with this show. They make all these references to music I don't know and then they'll mention one song I actually know and like - specifically to say how bad it is. :(

Mahlertov Cocktail posted:

I guess it also doesn't help that I like Collision a whole lot better as a podcast guest than co-host. I understand that it's a lot easier to make a podcast without having to get a guest every time, but rotating co-hosts with JW as the anchor was a lot more fun.
Their episodes with guests are still the best ones. There are very few people I can listen to episode after episode without anyone new in the mix and not get sick of.

Tiggum fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Sep 19, 2017

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

DrVenkman posted:

Oh no doubt. But at the end of the day it is just a gimmick and a harmless one at that pretty much says I'm all about looking like a guy who writes deep and meaningful poetry instead of actually writing deep and meaningful poetry. I just don't think anyone else comes out of it looking any better, and they don't have a poo poo gimmick as an excuse.

I think a lot of them come off as not being juvenile dickwad poets which is a pretty good thing not to be

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

Djeser posted:

I listen to three hour podcast episodes of dithering nerds talking about individual dark souls levels, get on my level :unsmigghh:

Sure, tell me the podcast name and I'll get in on it. I just caught up on my podcast backlog and I loving love Dark Souls. I like Don't Give Up Skeleton if you've listened to that.

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

Bonfireside Chat, I think they had one of the guys from that one you mentioned on there.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

Oh yeah they've mentioned that one a bunch on DGUS. I'll check it out!

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
That said if you start getting annoyed with how repetitive they get in the DS3 season just skip to the other stuff they did because it really doesn't get better.

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

The Vosgian Beast posted:

That said if you start getting annoyed with how repetitive they get in the DS3 season just skip to the other stuff they did because it really doesn't get better.

neither does DS3 heyooo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Djeser posted:

neither does DS3 heyooo

Now just rephrase this slightly but continually and repeat it for 3 hours and you'll get the experience of that season of BFSC