Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is YISUN?
Mother
A lie we tell ourselves to have a purpose
Bliss
A paradox with no solution
Father
A strong female protagonist
The weakest thing there is and the smallest crawling thing
Creator
Everything in this miserable and hellish existence
A solution with no paradoxes
View Results

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Ytlaya posted:

Yeah, Cio is definitely weird/alien, but I feel like the normal response in such a situation, even if it's unwise, is to cling to what few non-hostile connections you have.

Also, there's a difference between being friends and being friendly. Like, you should at least act nice to people until they've shown themselves to be bad or otherwise ill-intentioned.

edit: Thematically her behavior fits with the sort of behavior from the in-universe mythology, though, so this isn't a complaint about the story itself, just Allison as a person.

I guess it says that Allison as a person recognizes that 'acting nice' is not the most important priority in your life when you're watching girls like you - who were, presumably, pretty nice people - get casually fed to monsters by the busload, and acting submissive and compliant drat near gets your skull harvested by hell cops

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Sep 5, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us
I wish I could recall the panel, but even earlier on Cio has to amend her claim of having friends to "people who put up with her"

ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib
Nearly every character with any power has a more malicious intent towards Allison than Cio.

Schwarzwald posted:

Cio, who's explicitly confessed to helping Allison because she wants to use her as a shield, is pretty drat ill-intentioned. The fact that she's nice to her doesn't change that.
That's not ill-intentioned, at most it's a quid pro quo. Cio even tried to pitch it to Allison as "let's help each other out". If she wanted she could have taken the key right there and never had to worry about anyone coming after her again.

Bell_ posted:

I wish I could recall the panel, but even earlier on Cio has to amend her claim of having friends to "people who put up with her"
That would be this page. It's hardly surprising she doesn't have friends, most people who remember her as Yab would hate her guts. She worked in a slaver's guild, so the kind of people hanging around there aren't likely to be what's she's after in her new trying-not-to-be-evil life.

ConanTheLibrarian fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Sep 5, 2017

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Honestly nobody we've seen in the comic so far seems to be friends with anybody.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

it's lonely at the top

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
It occurs to me once again that Royalty is not particularly different from Spiral Power.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

ConanTheLibrarian posted:

If she wanted she could have taken the key right there and never had to worry about anyone coming after her again.

uhhhhhhhh

Cio's a sympathetic character, to the reader. She has, or has thus far appeared to have, laudable motivations, a charismatic persona, and hasn't meant Allison any harm. She also wasn't offering anything Allison wants, has been less than forthcoming about her background and motives, and Allison has done nothing to force her to stick around - only dictated the terms on which she will do so if she chooses to, as a hanger-on to power who has not earned trust or friendship.

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Sep 5, 2017

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

She has, or has thus far appeared to have, laudable motivations, a charismatic persona, and hasn't meant Allison any harm.

OTOH:

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

yeah but that's pretty much the default reaction to meeting a new person of 100% of the characters in this comic who are not Allison

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Sep 5, 2017

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

ConanTheLibrarian posted:

If she wanted she could have taken the key right there and never had to worry about anyone coming after her again.

Well, no. She could have taken the key right there and lived the rest of her life in fear knowing that people would be coming after her until the day she died.

She's specifically helping Allison because she wants to benefit from the powers of the key (specifically, being protected from her husband) without any of the cost.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
What decisions has Alison made that were bad? Coming back to Wheel and loving Mottom's poo poo up were dangerous decisions, yeah, but they were also heroic. Teaming up with devils was risky, but there was no other way she could have rescued her boyfriend. Accepting Incubus' offer was desperate, but she'd probably be dead now if she had rejected it. Alison is in a super lovely situation, but I think she's making pretty solid choices.

As for Cio, Alison could have handled her better. Sure. And Cio could have handled Alison better. Alison is the rising King, and Cio's attitude was genuinely that Alison should just do what Cio wanted and let things be.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Wittgen posted:

What decisions has Alison made that were bad?
Entering into a magus pact with an Ebon Devil while having no idea what either of those things are, for one. Like, yeah, she didn't end up dead or enslaved or worse, but that was an objectively terrible choice by any measure. Or deciding to confront one of the Seven Lords of Gangster Heaven by walking into her throne room like what up I got a big Key.

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

Cio is not great but she's also been repeatedly depicted as someone who is struggling against her nature (or "nature") to be better than people who knew Yab expect her to be.

Allison has, in true to the comic's mythology form, been stupid luck'ing her way into success. Which is fine, but we're winding up to see it fail pretty hard here, and it remains to be seen what lesson (if any) she and Cio will take from the whole mess.

the old ceremony
Aug 1, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
she's drunk as hell and has no idea what she's doing

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
Just because her bad decisions haven't killed her doesn't change the fact she is drunk as hell and has no idea what she is doing.

Edit: ^^^^^ drat YOU!

the old ceremony
Aug 1, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
the first chapter of this comic is complete lunacy and extremely hard to follow, which i think was a conscious and very effective choice because it positioned allison, the everygirl, as being completely overwhelmed in this new universe with bizarre laws that nobody can make sense of, even the creatures that live in it. given the only real weapon she has on her side is the key, brute-forcing her way to victory isn't just an understandable choice, it's the only one. yeah she was mean to cio but she'd also just seen a giant bird demon ripping the heads off human corpses. and yeah she jumped pretty fast at getting back into the insanity after she ended up back in the real world, but she's an american millennial with a philosophy degree - a similar demographic to most of us, and i don't know about you but personally i would rather be in throne with everyone trying to kill me and world-shattering power at my disposal than stuck on earth with less people trying to kill me and absolutely no control over my future or my life

the old ceremony
Aug 1, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

World Famous W posted:

Just because her bad decisions haven't killed her doesn't change the fact she is drunk as hell and has no idea what she is doing.

Edit: ^^^^^ drat YOU!
great minds

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

the old ceremony posted:

the first chapter of this comic is complete lunacy and extremely hard to follow, which i think was a conscious and very effective choice because it positioned allison, the everygirl, as being completely overwhelmed in this new universe with bizarre laws that nobody can make sense of, even the creatures that live in it. given the only real weapon she has on her side is the key, brute-forcing her way to victory isn't just an understandable choice, it's the only one. yeah she was mean to cio but she'd also just seen a giant bird demon ripping the heads off human corpses. and yeah she jumped pretty fast at getting back into the insanity after she ended up back in the real world, but she's an american millennial with a philosophy degree - a similar demographic to most of us, and i don't know about you but personally i would rather be in throne with everyone trying to kill me and world-shattering power at my disposal than stuck on earth with less people trying to kill me and absolutely no control over my future or my life

At least in Throne the giant subterranean man-eating bird horror isn't in charge of your thesis review, am I right

the old ceremony
Aug 1, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

At least in Throne the giant subterranean man-eating bird horror isn't in charge of your thesis review, am I right
or asking to see your manager

...or your manager

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
at least my irl office politics dont involve pits full of mimics

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

paranoid randroid posted:

at least my irl office politics dont involve pits full of mimics

oh sure, brag about your job

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
yyyyeah, we're gonna need to go ahead and move you downstairs to Mimic Storage B

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

paranoid randroid posted:

yyyyeah, we're gonna need to go ahead and move you downstairs to Mimic Storage B

It looks exactly like Mimic Storage A, but with a very subtle difference.

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

paragon1 posted:

It looks exactly like Mimic Storage A, but with a very subtle difference.

And soon thanks to a very new addition, it will have a very unsubtle difference.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

By the way, I was mainly referring to Allison's earlier behavior before the "whoa most/all demons are man-eaters, including Cio" revelation. Like the way she acts on the ship, for example. Not blindly trusting people is one thing, but she was in a position where she really needed allies. That being said, blindly pushing ahead regardless of the potential consequences is an established part of Allison's personality, so her lack of concern for stuff like acquiring allies isn't out of character.

Schwarzwald posted:

Cio, who's explicitly confessed to helping Allison because she wants to use her as a shield, is pretty drat ill-intentioned. The fact that she's nice to her doesn't change that.

This isn't so much "ill-intentioned" as it is "a mutually beneficial working relationship." Like, Cio would still be helping Allison under this arrangement (and has already saved her life a couple times), even if she had her own interests for doing so.

Wittgen posted:

What decisions has Alison made that were bad? Coming back to Wheel and loving Mottom's poo poo up were dangerous decisions, yeah, but they were also heroic. Teaming up with devils was risky, but there was no other way she could have rescued her boyfriend. Accepting Incubus' offer was desperate, but she'd probably be dead now if she had rejected it. Alison is in a super lovely situation, but I think she's making pretty solid choices.

Eh, things worked out for Allison, but those were definitely bad decisions that normally would have ended poorly. Allison knew little about Mottom aside from the fact that she had no problem with killing people, and it's largely just through luck that her actions didn't lead to Mottom killing her on the spot. You could also argue that rushing to save Zaid instead of trying to learn more about herself/her power and the world first is an unwise decision.

And there's stuff like making the pact with the Ebon devil or the thing she did with Incubus. Allison is definitely not a very bright person by real-life standards, but she's also the sort of person who is fit for royalty according to the internal logic of the story.

the old ceremony posted:

and i don't know about you but personally i would rather be in throne with everyone trying to kill me and world-shattering power at my disposal than stuck on earth with less people trying to kill me and absolutely no control over my future or my life

Uhhh, speak for yourself. I'm pretty sure this is the sort of opinion that is born from an ignorance of what "being killed (or other potential horrors)" actual consists of. It's appealing when you're reading a story where the protagonist has some sort of narrative protection, but in real life such a thing isn't actually appealing to most people who otherwise have comfortable lives with their material needs met.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 09:34 on Sep 6, 2017

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Something like making the deal with Incubus can be both a good idea in the short term and a bad idea in the long term, which it absolutely is, and that's not really contradictory. I don't know if I could characterize Allison as being "not very bright" because it's plainly obvious that she's beset by danger on all sides and taking a very principled and wise stand against striking bargains with demiurges is all well and good right up to the point when it gets you bisected like so many teacups. She's blindly grasping at the quickest route to some sort of agency and it's guaranteed to have horrible consequences but this doesn't seem like the sort of setting where there are kindly old sages waiting to teach the protagonist how to safely use their phenomenal cosmic power, so her choices at this point are to either take a terrible deal that at least ostensibly provides her with the ability to operate on the only level that Throne seems to care about (tremendous violence) or continue to be victimized until some indeterminate point in the future, if she isn't horribly killed in the meantime.

Ytlaya posted:

This isn't so much "ill-intentioned" as it is "a mutually beneficial working relationship." Like, Cio would still be helping Allison under this arrangement (and has already saved her life a couple times), even if she had her own interests for doing so.

"A mutually beneficial working relationship" is the sort of phrase someone uses when they clearly want something out of you but don't want to make it seem like they want something out of you, and even in the best of cases it doesn't necessarily imply a friendship is in the works. Allison may not have gone out of her way to try and make a lot of friends so far but nobody else we've seen has done a great job of that either. I'd say the actual nicest person in the cast is Nyave, but she seems to view Allison as a capital-H Hero instead of just a person at the moment.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Ytlaya posted:

By the way, I was mainly referring to Allison's earlier behavior before the "whoa most/all demons are man-eaters, including Cio" revelation. Like the way she acts on the ship, for example. Not blindly trusting people is one thing, but she was in a position where she really needed allies. That being said, blindly pushing ahead regardless of the potential consequences is an established part of Allison's personality, so her lack of concern for stuff like acquiring allies isn't out of character.

Eh, things worked out for Allison, but those were definitely bad decisions that normally would have ended poorly. Allison knew little about Mottom aside from the fact that she had no problem with killing people, and it's largely just through luck that her actions didn't lead to Mottom killing her on the spot. You could also argue that rushing to save Zaid instead of trying to learn more about herself/her power and the world first is an unwise decision.

And there's stuff like making the pact with the Ebon devil or the thing she did with Incubus. Allison is definitely not a very bright person by real-life standards, but she's also the sort of person who is fit for royalty according to the internal logic of the story.

Uhhh, speak for yourself. I'm pretty sure this is the sort of opinion that is born from an ignorance of what "being killed (or other potential horrors)" actual consists of. It's appealing when you're reading a story where the protagonist has some sort of narrative protection, but in real life such a thing isn't actually appealing to most people who otherwise have comfortable lives with their material needs met.

When you're in a position of having something people want and are willing to stab you in the back for, you don't make trustworthy allies by being obsequious and polite. That's how you avoid getting stomped on when you have nothing anybody wants, and can be freely discarded if you get in peoples' way. She set clear terms of the relationship and made clear that continuing to try to play her for a fool would end badly, while leaving the option open to continue to roll with her on her terms and reap the benefits. She's mishandled things through inexperience since, but that part wasn't a mistake, and everyone immediately fell into line.

Cio had no desire to help Allison do anything she wanted to do (break into Mammon's palace and rescue Zaid, say), and her one-sided offer was to "help" her do whatever Cio wanted, i.e. basically become another gangster in Throne with Cio pulling the strings and reaping the benefits as mastermind. Allison's smarter than you're giving her credit for, she might actually be smarter than you.

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Sep 6, 2017

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Ethics dictate that *faaaaaaaaaaart* Clevin

OgreNoah
Nov 18, 2003

https://twitter.com/Orbitaldropkick/status/905498075266998273

So, KSBD RPG? I'm totally excited.

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF

you're like a year behind the curve, friend, he's been putting it together on his patreon since 2016

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Is it still a tweaked Dungeon World, or is it changed to something else?

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Evil Mastermind posted:

gurps

OgreNoah
Nov 18, 2003

RiotGearEpsilon posted:

you're like a year behind the curve, friend, he's been putting it together on his patreon since 2016

Ah yes, I've only been reading it for 2-3 months.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Please don't be GURPS

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that
Obviously the rule system should be a mashup of Exalted and Dogs in the Vinyard.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Cio had no desire to help Allison do anything she wanted to do (break into Mammon's palace and rescue Zaid, say), and her one-sided offer was to "help" her do whatever Cio wanted, i.e. basically become another gangster in Throne with Cio pulling the strings and reaping the benefits as mastermind. Allison's smarter than you're giving her credit for, she might actually be smarter than you.

lol.

I mean, what you're saying is gonna end up being sorta true/validated in hindsight (in the sense that her decisions will be retroactively justified as non-fatal and likely successful at accomplishing her long-term goals), but, as someone in that situation without the knowledge that you're the protagonist of a story that almost certainly isn't gonna die, just blindly charging into situations without knowing anything is pretty obviously not a smart thing to do. It's excusable with the Mammon thing, because she actually did get help there and she didn't really have any choice but to go there if she wants to accomplish her goal of freeing Zaid, but she didn't even bother asking about the Mottom stuff first, and the fact things ended up okay at all was complete and utter luck. In fact, she literally only ended up surviving because Cio decided to try and save her; at the very least she could have said beforehand "look, I'm going to Mottom whether you like it or not, do you have any ideas less likely to get me killed?", and even if Cio didn't have any ideas (which is likely, since there really weren't many alternative options) she'd at least know beforehand to hang around in case a quick rescue was needed. The drinking game was another good example; there's no way for her to have known that a sorority girl had higher alcohol tolerance than this random demon creature. The Incubus thing was also ill-advised, given that she took his deal before even exploring her other options. I'm not saying she should blindly trust and make friends with others, but it's entirely possible to attempt to work with others to your own benefit while internally remaining skeptical and doubtful towards the people you're interacting with.

I think you're mistakenly interpreting what I'm saying as a criticism of the comic, when it absolutely isn't. The comic owns and Allison's irresponsible behavior makes sense in context*, but that doesn't mean you can't still criticize Allison as a person. I don't want Allison to act differently as a character, because she's more interesting as a flawed character/person, but I can still point out what the flaws in question seem to be. I mean, the author/comic even directly acknowledges that Allison is heavily prone to making terrible decisions.

*Mythology aside, there's some truth to the idea that accomplishing something as extreme as becoming a ruler (from a low initial status) sometimes requires the combination of luck and irresponsible behavior. If the only options you have to accomplish something are ones with low odds, there isn't really any other way.

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF

Evil Mastermind posted:

it's a significantly more tweaked Dungeon World

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Pavlov posted:

Obviously the rule system should be a mashup of Exalted and Dogs in the Vinyard.

Abaddon bullied me for liking Exalted and now I'm going to cut his head off with my replica daiklave.

But in seriousness he should've just copied Blades in the Dark after that came out. Much better than Dungeon World, which is doo doo. But hey, maybe if he changes enough it'll be good.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Incubus and his deals, man.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M90tA302X3k

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
all i can say about the KSBD RPG is that the Beggar class is extremely my poo poo. humiliate an opponent so hard that it heals the rest of your party? yes please.

Ytlaya posted:

I think you're mistakenly interpreting what I'm saying as a criticism of the comic, when it absolutely isn't. The comic owns and Allison's irresponsible behavior makes sense in context*, but that doesn't mean you can't still criticize Allison as a person. I don't want Allison to act differently as a character, because she's more interesting as a flawed character/person, but I can still point out what the flaws in question seem to be. I mean, the author/comic even directly acknowledges that Allison is heavily prone to making terrible decisions.
Allison as a person is prey to the exact same flaws as everyone who surrounds her. her little spiel to Incubus ("gently caress YOU DO WHATEVER, I'M TIRED OF BEING WEAK BUT IF YOU SCREW ME I'LL KILL YOU!") is deeply revealing. i think what makes Allison different is that, when spurred properly - taking for example the instance with Zoss in Mottom's Garden, she is capable of choosing to act for herself. she can consciously choose king over peasant, but whether or not that is a positive choice on a personal level is another question altogether. a sword is, after all, an ugly piece of metal and its adherents are idiots.