Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Justin_Brett posted:

If I didn't like the first Space Run is Galaxy any better for six bucks?

Nope.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

Quoting for new page and to say thanks, I still hadn't got round to getting The Walking Dead somehow.

Also, looks like Humble are having an end of summer sale. Don't know if there's anything good yet.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Did they ever fix the ammo/key drop rates in Enter the Gungeon?

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Justin_Brett posted:

If I didn't like the first Space Run is Galaxy any better for six bucks?
No, it's worse (and I liked Space Run)

Play X-Morph Defense if you want a new fun TD

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

anilEhilated posted:

A bit. It's way less stingy, as long as you keep in mind there's literally a whole class of chest you shouldn't even bother with.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Dias posted:

A bit. It's way less stingy, as long as you keep in mind there's literally a whole class of chest you shouldn't even bother with.

Which is that, for someone who owns and ha never played it?

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Dr. Angela Ziegler posted:

Which is that, for someone who owns and ha never played it?

Brown chests only have garbage weapons. Just shoot them down.

Catalina
May 20, 2008

I have a friend who just started Hatoful Boyfriend. I know the :birddrugs: smiley, but I can't figure out where the PUDDING! one is. What was the name again?

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

anilEhilated posted:

It didn't need to be fixed in the first place, but yes, they buffed drop rates a bit.

Mechanical mandible
Aug 4, 2007

Dias posted:

Plus, I think there's another update this(?) month coming out that's going to further fix the previous issues that people had with it.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Mechanical mandible posted:

Plus, I think there's another update this(?) month coming out that's going to further fix the previous issues that people had with it.

More details here.

quote:

Our primary focus was to make the Gungeon a more generous place, while retaining options, for players who really engage with the difficulty of the game.

If you tried Gungeon in the past and found it too hard, too stingy, or too slow- this update will be the version for you. If you liked it just the way it was, don’t worry, we’ve got you covered as well.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
https://streamable.com/rpdqt

funkmeister
Feb 20, 2010

About your father. If it's any help, he's in the ground now. Sure, it's bad news for him. But on the other hand, it's party time for all those little worms.
I learned today that the original title was "The Butthole of Time"
https://www.kotaku.com.au/2016/07/south-park-the-fractured-but-wholegot-its-title-because-they-couldnt-use-butthole/

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

:pwn:

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

anilEhilated posted:

No, ammo drops are still 100% random so there's still nothing that keeps you from going from floor 1 to 4 without a single loving box. Unless I missed a patch after their big update.

Hopefully one day they will finally recognize the problem with that because I've been waiting for that day for well over a year now.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Digirat posted:

No, ammo drops are still 100% random so there's still nothing that keeps you from going from floor 1 to 4 without a single loving box. Unless I missed a patch after their big update.

Hopefully one day they will finally recognize the problem with that because I've been waiting for that day for well over a year now.

It's not a problem though. It's actually entirely reasonable design. You're meant to buy ammo boxes from the shop if you REALLY need them, and otherwise switch guns. It also helps to get ammo efficient guns like the megabuster and the sniper rifles. Plus they added a chance to get an ammo box in ADDITION to the standard room reward chance, so nowadays you're just overflowing with unnecessary ammo.

Edit: I have no problem with people not liking EtG, I just hate it when people act as if legitimate design decisions are 'problems' or 'mistakes' just because they make things harder or more random.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Infinity Gaia posted:

It's not a problem though. It's actually entirely reasonable design. You're meant to buy ammo boxes from the shop if you REALLY need them, and otherwise switch guns. It also helps to get ammo efficient guns like the megabuster and the sniper rifles. Plus they added a chance to get an ammo box in ADDITION to the standard room reward chance, so nowadays you're just overflowing with unnecessary ammo.

Edit: I have no problem with people not liking EtG, I just hate it when people act as if legitimate design decisions are 'problems' or 'mistakes' just because they make things harder or more random.

That's actually why they are problems

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Hhhhhhhhmmmmmmmmmmm

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

corn in the bible posted:

That's actually why they are problems

That's just like, your opinion, man. I like EtG the way it is.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.
Ammo has never really been the problem I've faced when playing EtG. Certainly I've been RNG screwed before, but it was never ammo that did me in. It's almost always available in the shop and that is sufficient unless you're playing very poorly.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Infinity Gaia posted:

Some or reasonably controlled randomization is fine, it's a rogue-lite. Gungeon is (or was) borderline sadistic in its randomization (and not just of ammo) and was unfun as a result.

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

I feel like being hard and random is a bad mix. One or the other can be great, but both together just leads to frustration. The harder you make your game, the less randomness there should be - that's why games like Dark Souls, Bayonetta or Super Meat Boy are so successful, because despite the difficulty success or failure is always down to how you play. On the other hand, while I love Binding of Isaac, the more they've cranked up both the rng and the difficulty, the less fun it's been.

None of this is meant to be a comment on Gungeon though, I haven't played anywhere near enough of it to have an opinion yet.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Orv posted:

Some or reasonably controlled randomization is fine, it's a rogue-lite. Gungeon is (or was) borderline sadistic in its randomization and was unfun as a result.

I've gotten like 20+ winstreaks in that game. Part of the fun of EtG is learning how to mitigate the RNG. If it was really so sadistically randomized winstreaks would be impossible.

Edit: The additional level of randomization is exactly why I like EtG the best out of the BoI-type games. Nuclear Throne and BoI are way too straightforward and have way too many reliable methods of success. Like, I get that it's not for everyone, but do you guys really gotta complain about it and ruin it for people like me, who really like it the way it is?

Well, I guess they did say they were adding features for people like me who actually ENJOY the heavy randomization that is core to the game, so maybe it'll be ok.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Synthbuttrange posted:

Hhhhhhhhmmmmmmmmmmm

lol

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

When I'm playing a game with procgen, what I want is an experience that is interestingly different for each run through. I'm not looking for wildly fluctuating rng-based difficulty, such that one run is a cakewalk and the next is nearly impossible. I haven't played Gungeon, but it seems like that's the problem people have with it.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Infinity Gaia posted:

I've gotten like 20+ winstreaks in that game. Part of the fun of EtG is learning how to mitigate the RNG. If it was really so sadistically randomized winstreaks would be impossible.

Edit: The additional level of randomization is exactly why I like EtG the best out of the BoI-type games. Nuclear Throne and BoI are way too straightforward and have way too many reliable methods of success. Like, I get that it's not for everyone, but do you guys really gotta complain about it and ruin it for people like me, who really like it the way it is?

Well, I guess they did say they were adding features for people like me who actually ENJOY the heavy randomization that is core to the game, so maybe it'll be ok.

I kind of figured it was a "but I'm fine with it" argument rather than a "the design is actually fine" one, to which my response would be that the number of people who like the game as is and the number of people who bought the game is out of whack enough that they feel the need to do this. The variation is wide enough that an average player cannot reliably mitigate the RNG, and not only BoI-like savants should get to enjoy the game.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

They've been pulling this same stunt ever since the first South Park movie, they know they won't get away with it and it lets them beat their chest about how offensive and edgy they are after the fact. It's the same principle as those "banned" Super Bowl commercials that people create knowing they won't get accepted just so they can put them on the internet for free publicity afterward.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Synthbuttrange posted:

Hhhhhhhhmmmmmmmmmmm
does that slider change the characters skin color? lol that owns

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

Away all Goats posted:

does that slider change the characters skin color? lol that owns

Yep. It's a thing. http://kotaku.com/new-south-park-game-gets-harder-if-you-play-a-black-cha-1801944202

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

https://twitter.com/bax_books/status/905932733104308224

i'm having conflicting feelings

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

I bought a South Park anything and it was offensive! WTF internet?

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I don't even think that's offensive, it's hilarious

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

South park is responsible for creating a generation who think taking a position on anything is inherently wrong and the only thing to be worshipped is the status quo.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

Guy Mann posted:

South park is responsible for creating a generation who think taking a position on anything is inherently wrong and the only thing to be worshipped is the status quo.

Go on...

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I was fine with South Park when they made fun of literally everyone else but making fun of white people is a step too far!

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
EtG is TOO fair for a roguelite. You can definitely beat it with just the starting gun but it's gonna be a long and tedious process. Ammo and keys aren't the issue anymore (keys used to be, don't let anyone say otherwise) but you can still be two floors in with crap for guns and since enemies get more health with each floor, have fun spending a couple of minutes on a room shooting down enemies.

About Fractured But Whole: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-09-07-south-park-the-fractured-but-whole-difficulty-slider-changes-the-colour-of-your-skin

"Don't worry, this doesn't affect combat, just every other aspect of your life".

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I have complex feelings about that difficulty slider. On one hand it's a neat concept that forces a white player who wants a bigger challenge to face what your average person of color may face in real life on a daily basis. On the other hand, I don't have faith that Ubisoft or the South Park writers will do it any kind of justice. On top of that, if you're a person of color playing the game for fun who want their skin tone represented on their character, you don't really need to be reminded that, yeah, things really suck for you in the US right now.

Or maybe I'm overthinking it. I'm sure the answer is somewhere in the middle.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
That difficulty slider is hilarious and makes light of a serious situation, which is something Trey Parker and Matt Stone have been doing for years.

A basic loving reminder that people seem to miss is that sometimes comedy is making something hilarious out of a serious topic

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

They also make a few pretty good jokes w/r/t your new ability to pick the "girl" option.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Augus posted:

I was fine with South Park when they made fun of literally everyone else but making fun of white people is a step too far!
They back pedaled when they showed Muhammed. Guess they took that too far. Still a good show.