Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

exquisite tea posted:

The male human origin character starts out with pet pal.

... It probably says something about him that I didn't even know he existed, as someone who is mostly learning about this game through second-hand hype. I've seen all other characters talked about with interest, but I don't even know this dude's name.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

You can pick your skills and talents on your starting character, no matter what origin you chose. I don't know what you are all talking about.

In the alpha right now, you can pick red prince, pick up an extra +1 persuasion, and pick up pet pal. That was my plan for my main character. Figure if I need to persuade any animals, it would be a good way to go.

Starting skills will probably be fossil strike and searing daggers for the oil/burn combo, and haste for buffing allies.

Filthy Monkey fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Sep 8, 2017

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

ovenboy posted:

It seems like they've got the basic stat/skill/talent layout as the character presets (Lohse, for example is an enchanter), and that they'll switch accordingly if you tell them to take another preset when you recruit them. I've just tested it very quickly though, so there might be variances.

What are their preset options though and aarg why isn't this all on a webpage somewhere

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
The options are the same as the ones the PC has. You can make them an Enchanter, Wayfarer, Inquisitor, etc. when you recruit them. Instead of having to pick someone that has the right skill set, you just pick the companion you want and tell them what skill set to use.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

DemonMage posted:

The options are the same as the ones the PC has. You can make them an Enchanter, Wayfarer, Inquisitor, etc. when you recruit them. Instead of having to pick someone that has the right skill set, you just pick the companion you want and tell them what skill set to use.

Yeah but 1) they don't all have access to every preset right? and

2) what each preset starts with isn't on a webpage anywhere to browse while (for example) at work

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

teleporting someone into lava :vince:

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Yeah but 1) they don't all have access to every preset right? and

2) what each preset starts with isn't on a webpage anywhere to browse while (for example) at work

All Origins have access to every preset. I mean, you can even do that in the beta with NPC origins by asking them to change presets (when recruiting them).

The only thing fixed when you select a preset is your starting weapon. Everything else is customizable. Your weapons:
Battlemage: Dual Axes
Cleric: Mace + Shield
Conjurer: Wand
Enchanter: Wand + Shield
Fighter: Sword + Shield
Inquisitor: Staff
Knight: 2H Sword
Metamorph: Spear (2H)
Ranger: Bow
Rogue: Dual Daggers
Shadowblade: Dagger
Wayfarer: Crossbow
Witch: Wand
Wizard: Dual Wands

These are how they currently are in the beta. There have been complaints and suggestions that the Battlemage should start with the staff and the Inquisitor with the Dual Axes to better synergize with their default skillsets, but Larian might ignore that and keep it as it is now.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

What makes dual axes good on inquisitor? I'm assuming you need to spec into both melee and dual wielding to effectively dual wield right?
Also are either the dwarf origin or faze findable in the beta right now?

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

No, they aren't in the currently released build on steam.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Futaba Anzu posted:

What makes dual axes good on inquisitor? I'm assuming you need to spec into both melee and dual wielding to effectively dual wield right?
Also are either the dwarf origin or faze findable in the beta right now?

The skills in Inquisitor's default schools have physical armor checks, but the default weapon of a staff does magic damage. It doesn't synergize well together.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
The armor they show your class with at start, that's purely cosmetic, right? Does it lock you into that look or something?

edit: second question

Are the sneaking and thieving skills useful / worthwhile ? Bartering / lucky charm?

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Sep 8, 2017

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

The skills in Inquisitor's default schools have physical armor checks, but the default weapon of a staff does magic damage. It doesn't synergize well together.

Are you talking about the Warfare and Necromancy school stuff? When I equip a staff, it says warfare abilities still scale off basic damage and intelligence. Is that armor check thing something else because it also seems like they do mostly fire damage when I have a fire staff equipped.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

The armor they show your class with at start, that's purely cosmetic, right? Does it lock you into that look or something?

edit: second question

Are the sneaking and thieving skills useful / worthwhile ? Bartering / lucky charm?

Your armor changes based on the specific armor currently equipped, but it will always thematically look like that race's armor. So heavy plate mail will look like thick bark and stuff on elves, and more like proper armor on dwarves.

-Thieving is good for lockpicking, if nothing else. It also covers pickpocketing, which is somewhat useful, although there are low limits in both weight and value which mean you'll not be getting super-expensive stuff easily.
- Sneaking reduces enemy sight cones for the sneaker, which can be helpful if you want to avoid fighting when there are patrolling enemies, or to get into position before initiating a fight (but that can backfire once the fight starts and oh look you're behind enemy lines and are a big fat target).
- Bartering is okay, it lets you get more money when selling and pay less when buying. It's a decent choice to invest in.
- Lucky Charm is ridiculously underwhelming garbage, do not take it.

Futaba Anzu posted:

Are you talking about the Warfare and Necromancy school stuff? When I equip a staff, it says warfare abilities still scale off basic damage and intelligence. Is that armor check thing something else because it also seems like they do mostly fire damage when I have a fire staff equipped.

Some thought was put into the skill design in the game, and warfare skills will scale off of the stat type used by your weapon. Necromancy skills have a physical damage check to apply statuses - if the enemy still has physical armor remaining, the status won't land. Staves hit magical armor, and so won't help you reduce physical armor to better help your necromancy status effects land.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Sep 8, 2017

Clever Spambot
Sep 16, 2009

You've lost that lovin' feeling,
Now it's gone...gone...
GONE....
Pickpocketing has some nice niche uses based on my time with the beta, like stealing back Migos ring from the quest giver.

Also people will have stuff that can be stolen from them that wont drop if you just kill them, which while unrealistic goes a long way towards making it useful imo.

edit: basically yeah lucky charm is the only one that doesn't really have much actual use, all the other ones you will get enough use out of it to be worthwhile

Clever Spambot fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Sep 8, 2017

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Some thought was put into the skill design in the game, and warfare skills will scale off of the stat type used by your weapon. Necromancy skills have a physical damage check to apply statuses - if the enemy still has physical armor remaining, the status won't land. Staves hit magical armor, and so won't help you reduce physical armor to better help your necromancy status effects land.

is there any reason for dualwielding particularly? I just pulled out a real nice spear from Braccus Rex that I was thinking of using instead

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Futaba Anzu posted:

is there any reason for dualwielding particularly? I just pulled out a real nice spear from Braccus Rex that I was thinking of using instead

Preference, mostly. Keep in mind that you'll be replacing weapons fairly often, probably around once a level or so, just to keep up with increases in enemy health and armor. You probably don't want to put ability points into several different weapon types just because you found a new one which is shiny.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

-Thieving is good for lockpicking, if nothing else. It also covers pickpocketing, which is somewhat useful, although there are low limits in both weight and value which mean you'll not be getting super-expensive stuff easily.
- Sneaking reduces enemy sight cones for the sneaker, which can be helpful if you want to avoid fighting when there are patrolling enemies, or to get into position before initiating a fight (but that can backfire once the fight starts and oh look you're behind enemy lines and are a big fat target).
- Bartering is okay, it lets you get more money when selling and pay less when buying. It's a decent choice to invest in.
- Lucky Charm is ridiculously underwhelming garbage, do not take it.

Ok, thanks. What I'm hearing then based on this and my limited experience with the beta and the last game is "Have at least one party member with pet pal, telekinesis, leadership, loremaster, and persuasion, and the rest is gravy."

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos
How many skills per skill category are there? I saw a list, but it seemed rather incomplete. (Or do we not know anything about late-game skills/spells since we can't look at them due to only having Act 1 available?)

I regret not following news closer.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

"They can silence us, which means we can't rely on spells! So we'll have to be creative, by using spells!"

:raise:

I mean, those are nice examples of regular abilities and spells. But it does come across as fairly odd pitch for thinking outside the box. "We're gonna need to be creative! So watch this Rogue use five abilities then still gently caress up their backstab against a caster with a bared midriff, while our wizard teleports plate armored people into lava. Like usual"

Still, I will be finally remembering to grab this soon if waiting for launch to actually play.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Sep 8, 2017

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

I'm gonna make a skeleman cleric except with poison skills instead of healing skills

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

Section Z posted:

"They can silence us, which means we can't rely on spells! So we'll have to be creative, by using spells!"

I mean, those are nice examples of regular abilities and spells. But it does come across as fairly odd pitch for thinking outside the box. "We're gonna need to be creative! So watch this Rogue use five abilities then still gently caress up their backstab against a caster with a bared midriff, while our wizard teleports plate armored people into lava. Like usual"

Still, I will be finally remembering to grab this soon if waiting for launch to actually play.

:goonsay:

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Section Z posted:

Well, Larian has never been very good at selling their own systems. Even Divinity: Original Sin, before release, relied largely on the fans actually talking the combat up rather than Larian's promotional materials.

That said, the Touch of Decay + healing grenade combo was pretty inspired.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Polymorph looks to be an useful utility tree for other classes, wonder if it will be viable all on it's own too, though.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

Well, Larian has never been very good at selling their own systems. Even Divinity: Original Sin, before release, relied largely on the fans actually talking the combat up rather than Larian's promotional materials.

That said, the Touch of Decay + healing grenade combo was pretty inspired.

Yeah, they got my money again even though I've yet to finish one of these games :downs: I'm glad there are lots of crazy systems for people to play with in the first place.

I'm just an old fashioned "Can't I just sneak and smash people with the occasional fireball" guy at heart. Along with being just terrible at deciding on an efficient single goal build.

I expect to go through my usual curve in all such games of getting all sorts of fiddly things first, failing, and then a do over where I start with the practical stuff. Like even that trailer and my first several attempts at say, Arcanum demonstrated. All that sneaky ninja poo poo doesn't amount to anything if you are still too much of a wuss to make use out of it.

"I have a filament sword now, I bet investing all my stuff into sneak attack first will finally pay off-Oh dear I've cut myself in half"

EDIT: Pet pal is just required, of course.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 12:44 on Sep 8, 2017

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Having not played OS1, the feeling I'm getting from these combat videos is "savescum often, because positioning is everything and the difference between winning and getting hosed is razor thin." Accurate?

Qubee
May 31, 2013

savescumming is one hell of a dangerous tactic, unless you know you're gonna be fine doing the same poo poo over and over to win. i was the biggest savescummer ever, but in a game like this, savescumming and retrying over and over to keep everyone alive, i'd burn myself out on the first handful of fights before i ever got into the meat of the game.

been playing xcom 2 lately, and in the first game, i burnt myself out by constantly savescumming the second i lost a soldier. now, if they die, they die, and i continue playing. i enjoy the game more and get a lot farther in it as well, cause im not constantly reloading saves and repeating stuff i've already done for the past hour.

plus, this game is a tad more forgiving in combat, as long as you've got resurrect scrolls, you can always bring dead teammates back to life.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
Are grenades back? I love me some elemental grenades.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

healing grenade

I just giggle like an imbecile at the idea of a Healing Grenade; something about the phrasing is very funny to me, and I'm sure that it isn't half useful. I've been playing Low Magic Age on Steam lately, which is a very good if incomplete game, and both of my clerics just got the Mass Heal spell, which is as handy as you can imagine. I fancy that Healing Grenade is just like that but with a massive explosion to add drama.

ovenboy
Nov 16, 2014

doingitwrong posted:

Are grenades back? I love me some elemental grenades.

Yup! There's even an ambidextrous talent that reduces the AP cost of nades and scrolls to 1 if your off hand is empty!

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Q8ee posted:

savescumming is one hell of a dangerous tactic, unless you know you're gonna be fine doing the same poo poo over and over to win. i was the biggest savescummer ever, but in a game like this, savescumming and retrying over and over to keep everyone alive, i'd burn myself out on the first handful of fights before i ever got into the meat of the game.

I save before a fight, but never during a fight, so if I get screwed and die - and yes, the combat is challenging enough that that is expected - I have to do the whole thing again. But I prefer the challenge of having to do the whole fight in one take.

quote:

plus, this game is a tad more forgiving in combat, as long as you've got resurrect scrolls, you can always bring dead teammates back to life.

One big change from D:OS 1 is that dead teammates get full XP from kills in combat now. In D:OS 1, to ensure they got their share of the limited amount of XP available, you would need to resurrect them, which meant having a lot of AP saved to use the scroll, AND a way to immediately heal them, because resurrection leaves them with not much health, so they'll fall right back down if an enemy breathes in their direction.

But because dead teammates get XP, there's less urgency to get them back up right away. Other than being a teammate down in combat which is designed to be challenging for 4 characters.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

JustJeff88 posted:

Low Magic Age

JustJeff88 posted:

Mass Heal spell

Something seems like it doesn't match here.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

ovenboy posted:

Yup! There's even an ambidextrous talent that reduces the AP cost of nades and scrolls to 1 if your off hand is empty!

Hooray!

I still have an unfinished play through of DS:O where the main characters consists of an elemental arrows archer and a grenades & melee fighter with light spell casting and boy do I love that team.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Since Tyranny is on a 50% sale and this thread seems to really like western style RPGs, how does it compare to PoE (which I loved) and D:OS (which I'm still not sure if I even like)?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Efexeye posted:

Since Tyranny is on a 50% sale and this thread seems to really like western style RPGs, how does it compare to PoE (which I loved) and D:OS (which I'm still not sure if I even like)?

Badly. But if you managed to love PoE you'll probably get some enjoyment out of it.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Tyranny is an interesting game and the setting is definitely unique. The leveling is mostly based on your actions and some people don't like the combat system, but it gets the job done. It's also much closer to PoE (that other Obsidian game) than it is to D:OS, so if you love the former, I'd definitely recommend it.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
Tyranny uses the PoE engine, just dumbs it down a bit. Neat setting though.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Tyranny is way better than PoE, cool setting and situations, but enjoyment of combat depends on how much you like Real Time With Pause systems. It is more fun than PoE IMNSHO.

I save before a fight, but never during a fight, so if I get screwed and die - and yes, the combat is challenging enough that that is expected - I have to do the whole thing again. But I prefer the challenge of having to do the whole fight in one take.

One big change from D:OS 1 is that dead teammates get full XP from kills in combat now. In D:OS 1, to ensure they got their share of the limited amount of XP available, you would need to resurrect them, which meant having a lot of AP saved to use the scroll, AND a way to immediately heal them, because resurrection leaves them with not much health, so they'll fall right back down if an enemy breathes in their direction.

I am glad to learn that, I ended up giving all of my party Early Riser by the end game because I was tired of having to heal and resurrect the bastards.

Also, I never save-scummed in D:OS 1, even during the longer fights (of which there aren't so many, to be fair), each is its own puzzle and with how dynamic terrain and status effects are, so if you're getting beaten up it is probably better to start the fight from the beginning and try something different. This is one thing I really liked about the system, I never felt that I lost because of a poor diceroll or series thereof, when I lost in D:OS it was always because of my tactical choices.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Positioning and all that jazz certainly matters but to a lesser degree than it'll seemingly matter in DOS2 since they've beefed up AI and environmental design and interaction by a metric fuckton.

Don't savescum, just roll with the punches, it makes games like this way more fun.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.
Do you still gain zero experience for kills made while you're dead? Because trying to squeeze every drop of exp out of the first game was an exercise in utmost caution.

Rainuwastaken fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Sep 8, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I saw a stream where almost all the player's dudes were dead and a little +840xp still popped up over their heads when the fight was over.