Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Jimbot posted:

I have complex feelings about that difficulty slider. On one hand it's a neat concept that forces a white player who wants a bigger challenge to face what your average person of color may face in real life on a daily basis.

Lmao if you think that a South Park game will actually do this and that difficulty slider isn't just throw away controversy bait.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010
Cartman says in the clip that it doesn't effect combat.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Where's the climate change denial slider.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Someone mentioned Gems of War earlier and it made me want to play either it or another RPG puzzle game, in particular one that's heavy on the RPG elements.

I played Puzzle Quest 1 waaaaaay back when it first came out on x-box and never beat it but remember liking it. I remember being turned off about something in PQ2 before release but I can't remember what, I never played it and it has good reviews, and I've played a little Gems of War now but it feels too much like a mobile game to me where it's constantly showing me ways I can pay to win, even if they're not necessary.

What's my best bet here? Replay PQ1, play PQ2 or stick with Gems of War?

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Infinity Gaia posted:

It's not a problem though. It's actually entirely reasonable design. You're meant to buy ammo boxes from the shop if you REALLY need them, and otherwise switch guns. It also helps to get ammo efficient guns like the megabuster and the sniper rifles. Plus they added a chance to get an ammo box in ADDITION to the standard room reward chance, so nowadays you're just overflowing with unnecessary ammo.

Edit: I have no problem with people not liking EtG, I just hate it when people act as if legitimate design decisions are 'problems' or 'mistakes' just because they make things harder or more random.

In a game called Enter the Gungeon I enjoy slow and boring losses to attrition after entire floors of no ammo drops and being encouraged to use my fun guns as little as I possibly can through this Entirely Reasonable Design.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Dias posted:

EtG is TOO fair for a roguelite. You can definitely beat it with just the starting gun but it's gonna be a long and tedious process. Ammo and keys aren't the issue anymore (keys used to be, don't let anyone say otherwise) but you can still be two floors in with crap for guns and since enemies get more health with each floor, have fun spending a couple of minutes on a room shooting down enemies.
I don't think calling it too fair for a roguelite is right, but otherwise this is true. The starting pistol just absolutely blows, both in terms of effectiveness and fun, yet you feel compelled to use it because of stingyness (perceived or actual, and used to be typically actual) and not wanting to use your new shiny toy (if you even get one) for too long. Repeating the first level is generally a slog and mostly involves plinking away at the boss for a few minutes, and perhaps even continuing this into the second level and still relying on it to kill trash even later into the game. There's also the latter shortcuts but you almost never want to use them because you'll be behind that you feel compelled to start at floor 1 anyways which ends up being unchallenging and tedious but just lets you farm up some easy money and things you may need later.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Funky Valentine posted:

Where's the climate change denial slider.
You have to beat Al Gore.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

There are over 100 cool and creative guns in Enter the Gungeon, except you should be using the same lovely unfun garbage one about thirty times as much as any of those thanks to Entirely Reasonable Design. If you try not to, the RNG might decide that you have to anyway, because there's nothing wrong with letting the RNG control 100% of your access to most of your killing power.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

:confused:

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Xaris posted:

I don't think calling it too fair for a roguelite is right, but otherwise this is true. The starting pistol just absolutely blows, both in terms of effectiveness and fun, yet you feel compelled to use it because of stingyness (perceived or actual, and used to be typically actual) and not wanting to use your new shiny toy (if you even get one) for too long. Repeating the first level is generally a slog and mostly involves plinking away at the boss for a few minutes, and perhaps even continuing this into the second level and still relying on it to kill trash even later into the game. There's also the latter shortcuts but you almost never want to use them because you'll be behind that you feel compelled to start at floor 1 anyways which ends up being unchallenging and tedious but just lets you farm up some easy money and things you may need later.

I say too fair because it doesn't let you ramp up into a weapon of mass destruction like BoI or even a weapon of considerable destructive power, like Nuclear Throne. If you're AMAZING at the base game you can beat it consistently, but it doesn't really give average players any breaks. It also does this weird thing which is basically anathema to BoI where your starting chest drops are weaker than the ones you unlock. Okay, BoI might hide the D6 behind progression walls, but EtG hides a lot of its better weapons and items behind unlockable items, which fuckin' sucks as a starting player. Then you have two things that I consider legitimate design flaws: your movespeed and how it relates to boss patterns and the size of the first couple of levels. Again, Nuclear Throne and BoI understand that moving fast is cool and good, and if you're gonna make bosses move around and gently caress their patterns up, you might as well make your character able to just circle-strafe some of that poo poo. They also understand that the starting levels are the ones you're gonna see again and again, and I feel by the time I get to the second boss in EtG, I would be on Caves 2 in BoI and past the sewers in Nuclear Throne. It's a slog.

(I've thought a lot about EtG because I REALLY wanna like that game but it does so many little things that are just frustrating. It's not even me being bad, I'm bad at most roguelites but I have fun playing them, EtG makes me alt-F4 sometimes)

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Fun Times! posted:

So no matter what you pick, the answer is...in the middle? :smug:

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Dias posted:

(I've thought a lot about EtG because I REALLY wanna like that game but it does so many little things that are just frustrating. It's not even me being bad, I'm bad at most roguelites but I have fun playing them, EtG makes me alt-F4 sometimes)

This is why so much hate for the game comes up. It's not trash at all, it's an almost-there. It's extremely well put together but is sabotaged by a few really loving dumb things that could be fixed with minimal effort. It's really not hard to implement RNG fallbacks such as a guaranteed ammo box after a boss so you can't go three floors with no ammo drops whatsoever.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
If nothing else Enter the Gungeon made me appreciate Binding of Isaac even more, both from the gameplay and from the design since even at its worse the poopy pee-pee dead baby stuff is way better than Gungeon's epic Adult Swim gaming references.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Jimbot posted:

I have complex feelings about that difficulty slider. On one hand it's a neat concept that forces a white player who wants a bigger challenge to face what your average person of color may face in real life on a daily basis. On the other hand, I don't have faith that Ubisoft or the South Park writers will do it any kind of justice. On top of that, if you're a person of color playing the game for fun who want their skin tone represented on their character, you don't really need to be reminded that, yeah, things really suck for you in the US right now.

Or maybe I'm overthinking it. I'm sure the answer is somewhere in the middle.

You're overthinking. Way more people are going to see that one screenshot than will ever see the potentially bad writing.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Which game?

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Digirat posted:

There are over 100 cool and creative guns in Enter the Gungeon, except you should be using the same lovely unfun garbage one about thirty times as much as any of those thanks to Entirely Reasonable Design. If you try not to, the RNG might decide that you have to anyway, because there's nothing wrong with letting the RNG control 100% of your access to most of your killing power.

I keep hearing people say stuff like this but I basically never use the basic pistol for actual combat after like the first floor of a run, and this is consistently. There is no way to get that RNG screwed by the game unless you're not using all the tools available to you and doing what the game wants you to do, which is play stylish. You get better odds at getting drops if you do stuff like beat a room without getting hit and the like. I really enjoy EtG for actually rewarding skilled play rather than mitigating poor play.

I feel like a lot of people who complain about this don't know about the Coolness mechanic, which basically gradually increases drop rate the longer you go without getting hit, and only enemies that you kill without them hitting you ever drop money. This really FORCES you to get good enough to clear entire floors without getting hit. EtG is a game that MASSIVELY rewards playing well, which is why I like it so much. But hey, they're probably adding easy mode options for people like you, so maybe you'll enjoy it. I just hope they keep a mode for people like me who actually enjoyed the challenge of needing to get good at the game before it actually starts rewarding you.

Edit: In fact, not knowing about the Coolness mechanic probably explains your lack of luck with ammo. It's better to use up ammo in your big fancy gun than plink away with the lovely starter pistol as long as you don't get hit. That's the most important thing in Gungeon and I do think the one legitimate mistake it makes is not making this fact obvious.

Edit 2: Also a big mistake some people do is actually try to circle strafe bosses. This is a massive mistake, Gungeon REALLY wants you to use the dodge roll to avoid patterns, and use blanks if you mess up the dodge roll. It takes some practice and prediction but you can eventually figure out when you hosed up and mash out a blank before you'd get hit. I like that added element, personally.

Infinity Gaia fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Sep 8, 2017

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

nachos posted:

You're overthinking. Way more people are going to see that one screenshot than will ever see the potentially bad writing.

Yeah. Reading through twitter I was reminded that this is the series that has a character called "The Coon". I completely forgot about that dumb poo poo.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Infinity Gaia posted:

You get better odds at getting drops if you do stuff like beat a room without getting hit and the like.
this is probably my biggest issue with the game honestly. why are you giving more help to the guy that is already good when i suck and could really use the extra resources to just get to level 4 or whatever

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Infinity Gaia posted:

I keep hearing people say stuff like this but I basically never use the basic pistol for actual combat after like the first floor of a run, and this is consistently. There is no way to get that RNG screwed by the game unless you're not using all the tools available to you and doing what the game wants you to do, which is play stylish. You get better odds at getting drops if you do stuff like beat a room without getting hit and the like. I really enjoy EtG for actually rewarding skilled play rather than mitigating poor play.

I feel like a lot of people who complain about this don't know about the Coolness mechanic, which basically gradually increases drop rate the longer you go without getting hit, and only enemies that you kill without them hitting you ever drop money. This really FORCES you to get good enough to clear entire floors without getting hit. EtG is a game that MASSIVELY rewards playing well, which is why I like it so much. But hey, they're probably adding easy mode options for people like you, so maybe you'll enjoy it. I just hope they keep a mode for people like me who actually enjoyed the challenge of needing to get good at the game before it actually starts rewarding you.

Edit: In fact, not knowing about the Coolness mechanic probably explains your lack of luck with ammo. It's better to use up ammo in your big fancy gun than plink away with the lovely starter pistol as long as you don't get hit. That's the most important thing in Gungeon and I do think the one legitimate mistake it makes is not making this fact obvious.

Edit 2: Also a big mistake some people do is actually try to circle strafe bosses. This is a massive mistake, Gungeon REALLY wants you to use the dodge roll to avoid patterns, and use blanks if you mess up the dodge roll. It takes some practice and prediction but you can eventually figure out when you hosed up and mash out a blank before you'd get hit. I like that added element, personally.

I love smug assholes woo

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
Git gud, at gaming criticism

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Infinity Gaia posted:

Hey, you sounded like a dick there, nice job!

You sounding like a dick aside, no, I didn't know about that, it's some obscure poo poo that someone that ACTIVELY researched poo poo about EtG didn't find info about. The thing is, EtG is ridiculously punishing when you gently caress up. This Coolness mechanic is another cherry on top of a cake that has a lot of that kinda stuff, and that's not Good Design if you're trying to make a game that's appealing to most people (and EtG never sold itself as a Hardcore Game for Real Good SHMUP Players). That mechanic isn't set up so a good player gets better poo poo, it's set up so an average player is punished because they got hit. The Chambers are also punishing, since one slip-up means you have -1 health for the rest of your run. Having to use your bombs to open secret floors (and ammo too) is also punishing, since if you need those blanks you won't get extra stuff. You're right about not needing the pistol after the first floor, but that's because most poo poo weapons are better than it anyway, plus some character have good sideweapons (play Huntress all the time). In my experience, RNG gun starvation hits you after you make it past the third floor, when your floor clearing gun runs out and all you get are bad blue chest weapons.

edit: also the dodge roll feels bad, it has recovery and isn't fully invincible during its animation, so I guess you really need to GIT GUD to use it effectively.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Fun Times! posted:

“Don’t worry, this doesn’t affect combat. Just every other aspect of your whole life.” After seeing this, Eurogamer asked Ubisoft, Fractured But Whole’s publisher, to get a little more specific about what this difficulty setting actually does if it doesn’t make battles any easier or harder. The outlet was told it alters “the amount of money you receive and the way other characters speak to you.”

In Eurogamer’s video, they choose to be a transgender girl, which also prompts Mackey to tell the New Kid to look out for people who don’t accept them for who they are. That comment is immediately followed by the player getting jumped by some rednecks who “don’t take kindly to your types” around here.

gosh.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Can I be a redneck?

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Digirat posted:

This is 100% not the way to play, because if you hoard your cool guns the whole game any ammo drops will be wasted. At some point on the second floor you should have a new standby weapon that you use all the time and a backup that's good for bosses. These aren't RNG dependent, there are a lot of ways to get multiple guns on every floor but you have to learn how they work, same as any roguelike, except it can be pretty frustrating to do that.

And that's the real problem, along with this:

Infinity Gaia posted:

I feel like a lot of people who complain about this don't know about the Coolness mechanic, which basically gradually increases drop rate the longer you go without getting hit, and only enemies that you kill without them hitting you ever drop money.

NOBODY knows about the Coolness mechanic because it isn't explained anywhere. It's also a terrible design concept because it makes the game harder the worse you are at it, and it's not the only one; you can get HUGE power boosts if you beat bosses without getting hit, which makes beating more bosses without getting hit easier. Gungeon's fun factor is directly proportional to how good you are at it, and combined with how it's tuned to be like Isaac without the possibility of getting outrageously powerful means that a lot of people understandably won't want to stick it out long enough to get good and actually have fun.

Gungeon is probably my favorite game in this style, even above Nuclear Throne and Isaac, but I totally get why it's so polarizing. People who are good at it forget how frustrating getting to that point can be, and people who aren't... well, they get frustrated for lots of reasons but not always the defensible ones. It's an awkwardly designed game that hides too much of what's good about it, and I'm hoping super hard this upcoming update makes some major strides to alleviating that.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

I don't see why games that that reward skilled play and punish poor play can't exist. Like 99% of the games already do the opposite, I'm just really loving upset because EtG was one of the few games with a significant entry barrier in both execution and knowledge and they're making it a lot easier all around with every patch. Like, why SHOULDN'T the person who actually fully engages with all the systems and plays ideally be rewarded? It sucks how in most games everyone gets rewarded equally! Can't I have this ONE loving GAME that only rewards people that are actually good at it? Sorry if I sound like a dick or whatever, I just loving love EtG and hate how people who don't like it keep trying to change it to suit their tastes.

Edit: Also in defense of the Coolness mechanic being hidden, it's not like Nuclear Throne and Binding of Isaac don't have hidden mechanics either. They seem pretty staple.

Infinity Gaia fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Sep 8, 2017

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

Infinity Gaia posted:

I don't see why games that that reward skilled play and punish poor play can't exist. Like 99% of the games already do the opposite, I'm just really loving upset because EtG was one of the few games with a significant entry barrier in both execution and knowledge and they're making it a lot easier all around with every patch. Like, why SHOULDN'T the person who actually fully engages with all the systems and plays ideally be rewarded? It sucks how in most games everyone gets rewarded equally! Can't I have this ONE loving GAME that only rewards people that are actually good at it? Sorry if I sound like a dick or whatever, I just loving love EtG and hate how people who don't like it keep trying to change it to suit their tastes.

you do sound like a dick, but its okay, because they cater to dicks:
http://steamcommunity.com/games/311690/announcements/detail/1455080932985658451

quote:

If you tried Gungeon in the past and found it too hard, too stingy, or too slow- this update will be the version for you. If you liked it just the way it was, don’t worry, we’ve got you covered as well.

Orv
May 4, 2011
There are dozens of games that reward people who are better at it than other people. Hundreds if you want to just count competitive shooters and poo poo like that. Since you're specifically a giant rear end in a top hat about this one, I'm cool with this.

Orv fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Sep 8, 2017

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Infinity Gaia posted:

I know what coolness is. It doesn't guarantee anything and merely slants RNG, which doesn't fix the problem. It also isn't communicated to new players in any way which is a failure of its own. Its existence changes fuckall for a player who is good enough to consistently get to floor 5/bullet hell but not good enough to never get hit. That player still gets to enjoy some nondeterministic tedium when the game feels like it. I've cleared floors with maybe 1 hit taken on the whole thing and still seen zero ammo boxes on them. If you've never had this happen to you, congrats. It's RNG so it can happen all the time to one player and never to another, because there are no RNG fallbacks for ammo drops. This is why counting on RNG alone to control distribution of necessary resources is dumb poo poo.

Congrats on hitting the games board fallback argument of Git Gud in a record two posts though.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Infinity Gaia posted:

I don't see why people that want games that reward skilled play and punish poor play can't exist. Like 99% of the games already do the opposite, I'm just really loving upset because EtG was one of the few games with a significant entry barrier in both execution and knowledge and they're making it a lot easier all around with every patch. Like, why SHOULDN'T the person who actually fully engages with all the systems and plays ideally be rewarded? It sucks how in most games everyone gets rewarded equally! Can't I have this ONE loving GAME that only rewards people that are actually good at it? Sorry if I sound like a dick or whatever, I just loving love EtG and hate how people who don't like it keep trying to change it to suit their tastes.

You can have your game that punishes people ultra hard for one fuckup and rewards amazing SHMUP skills with...barely anything, just don't be surprised when people have a LOT of criticisms to level towards it. Also when you get called a dick because the only defense is seemingly "git gud".

edit: see, I come from a fighting game background and I've completed a lot of roguelikes, so I don't think I'm coming towards EtG from a biased Bad That Doesn't Wanna Learn standpoint, it's just that EtG tries very hard to make you not wanna learn it. I don't think it's a BAD game, I might even say it's good, but it's incredibly frustrating in a way that isn't just "it's too haaaaaaaaaard".

Dias fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Sep 8, 2017

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat
i like Enter the Gungeon but didn't know about the coolness mechanic at all and um yeah they should loving mention that because that's kind of neat and interesting IF YOU loving KNOW ABOUT IT

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Mostly I just like the game the way it is and don't want it to change. Now that I know that they're keeping a mode for people like me, it's like, whatever. I hope there is like one exclusive special golden gun or something that you can only get by playing in hardcore mode but otherwise I'm chill.

I just didn't want my fallback game to play when I'm super bored and have nothing better to do to suddenly become super easy, and I've played it enough that any reduction in difficulty would make it too easy for me, more or less. Sorry if I came across as a dick, I'm just REALLY defensive of EtG since people have been bitching about it since day one and I've always loved it, so I tend to get pretty catty about it.

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS

Infinity Gaia posted:

I just didn't want my fallback game to play when I'm super bored and have nothing better to do to suddenly become super easy, and I've played it enough that any reduction in difficulty would make it too easy for me, more or less. Sorry if I came across as a dick, I'm just REALLY defensive of EtG since people have been bitching about it since day one and I've always loved it, so I tend to get pretty catty about it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y897tozJeg8
-
Edit: I took a look at Scorn yesterday and that is one disgusting looking game (in a great way).

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

i kind of want to copy this review for every game

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Too Shy Guy posted:

This is 100% not the way to play, because if you hoard your cool guns the whole game any ammo drops will be wasted. At some point on the second floor you should have a new standby weapon that you use all the time and a backup that's good for bosses. These aren't RNG dependent, there are a lot of ways to get multiple guns on every floor but you have to learn how they work, same as any roguelike, except it can be pretty frustrating to do that.

I always use some non-lovely starter guns out of stubbornness so I'm always able to take advantage of ammo drops. It doesn't actually matter though because one game I'll get four ammo boxes on the first floor and the next game I'll get zero on the first four floors despite no coolness items or different performance either time. At least one good gun still always has to be saved for a boss and if ammo drops don't happen then the gun is basically gone after the boss. The rate at which you get guns (more importantly, good ones) is rarely even close to the rate at which you use ammo so if the RNG decides it's attrition time then you get to enjoy another fun and exciting starvation run.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

ymgve posted:

Which game?

"Everything". In which the animals rolling around instead of walking is just a silly thing and part of the design, so they didn't have to create walking animations for every animal ever.

I mainly posted the picture because the writing style is so bizarre and disjointed.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Doorknob Slobber posted:

i kind of want to copy this review for every game

What if you like the game though?

Super Fan
Jul 16, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Anyone know of any good free single player games on steam?

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Just finished Space Tyrant by the Slayaway Camp guys. It's... good? 4x game with goofy art and backwards exploration text (you are the bad guys, after all) but it gates knowledge behind failure, which is unacceptable.

Do not have me lose because I had no way of knowing the Space Snail cannot be killed; give me a heads-up somehow. Other than that, it was tuned well, and was a fun 10hrs.

Super Fan posted:

AdVenture Capitalist

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Super Fan posted:

There are 650 free single-player games on Steam so you might want to narrow things down by genre for us. If you want a platformer, Khimera: Destroy All Monster Girls or MANDAGON. For horror, Spooky's Jump Scare Mansion. If you're into clickers, Realm Grinder is my favorite. Then there's RPG-ish bullet-hell thing Princess Remedy in a World of Hurt which is possibly your best option overall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

McFrugal posted:

What if you like the game though?

same review but with a thumbs up