Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

Francis is my name, and breeding is my game. All bow before the fertile smut-god!
I don't know what it says about me but a good 25-38% of why i watch WWE is to talk about it on here.

Well, current stuff anyway i legitimately like going through old stuff on the network.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Jerusalem posted:

:agreed:

Speaking of which, give me more Breezango!

I know we all love Fashion Files but does anybody else feel like we're reaching a point of diminishing returns?

It was great at first because in addition to being funny and keeping Breezango on TV, it felt like it was building to something. It definitely felt like it was leading to them fighting AA, before they broke up and then it just had to be extended indefinitely.

Like, it's fun but there's this nagging thought in my mind that it's gonna start becoming less fun if it doesn't start leading to a match soon.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
She is incapable of smiling like a human being

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

VJeff posted:

I know we all love Fashion Files but does anybody else feel like we're reaching a point of diminishing returns?

It was great at first because in addition to being funny and keeping Breezango on TV, it felt like it was building to something. It definitely felt like it was leading to them fighting AA, before they broke up and then it just had to be extended indefinitely.

Like, it's fun but there's this nagging thought in my mind that it's gonna start becoming less fun if it doesn't start leading to a match soon.

100% yes. It needs to proceed.

dromal phrenia
Feb 22, 2004

Jerusalem posted:

BBBBBBBRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAUUUUUUNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:
Thank You Jericho

quote:

On getting the Styles Clash un-banned in WWE:

“When A.J. came in I believed he was going to be a huge star which of course he is. He had this finishing move called the Styles Clash which was kind of unofficially banned in the WWE because there was rumors that people had gotten hurt from it and all that sort of thing, but I knew it was a great move. I knew it was an easy move to take. I knew it was something that could give AJ an extra color to paint your pictures with. I basically…started using it (taking it) during matches just so Vince could see it. I figured if he saw it and didn’t want me to do it then he would know…and people were so mad at me because I was kicking out of the move like “Jericho’s burying A.J…” It’s like shut up you idiots I have a plan here…Eventually I went to Vince and said “Did you see that move that AJ Did?” Never using the words the Styles Clash because I knew…that name is taboo. Oh, the Styles Clash you can’t do it. So, I said you know that move where he picks me up and dumps me on my face?…He should use that as a finish!” Yes, absolutely use it as a finish.” So, I was able to kind of indirectly able to get the move unbanned by just doing it, and not asking for permission, and never using the name Styles Clash when I talked to Vince about it. Now it’s one of AJ’s biggest moves. I believed it could work. I wanted to stand up for it, but once again you have to be kind of sly about it sometimes. It was actually a pretty cool process and it makes for a great story in the book for sure.”

http://www.1077thebone.com/2017/08/28/baby-huey-bimbo-jimbo-chris-jericho-interview-08-29-17/

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
The Styles Clash looks stupid as hell, and so does the Forearm.

It is further infuriating because pretty much every basic, "Toss it all out during a match" move that AJ does looks like solid gold, but his finishers are the worst. Dude can wow me multiple times in a match but I can't get excited about what are supposed to be his big moves.

That said, that is still a cool Jericho story.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Veryslightlymad posted:

and so does the Forearm.

I assumed the mad in your nickname meant you were angry, but now I see you are insane :argh:

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism
Styles Clash doesn't always look great, but the name and setup are cool so whatever!

Also that Jericho story is weird because they were teasing Styles Clash in his rumble debut even michael cole said it by name iirc. So I don't know what he's talking about there. Sounds almost Hogan-like.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I think the story is that Vince McMahon didn't know what the Styles Clash actually was, just that he had banned it.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

The forearm is a thing of beauty and one of my favourite moves in wrestling

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Veryslightlymad posted:

delete this crap

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails
Excuse me, the move is actually called The Faithbreaker

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop
Ya'll are getting worked up about wrestling moves.

https://twitter.com/NoamDar/status/905938460254588933

The Clash is awesome.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Veryslightlymad posted:

It is further infuriating because pretty much every basic, "Toss it all out during a match" move that AJ does looks like solid gold, but his finishers are the worst. Dude can wow me multiple times in a match but I can't get excited about what are supposed to be his big moves.

That said, that is still a cool Jericho story.

I bet this guy thinks the spear and superman punch are the best moves ever

dromal phrenia
Feb 22, 2004

I'm really amazed at just how good the Phenomenal Forearm looks. On paper it's not a very exciting move, certainly not a finish, but AJ makes it look great every time!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Every. single. time.

It's amazing, it always looks so loving good no matter what angle or position it comes from.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
Seriously, I can understand not liking the Styles Clash, but the Phenomenal Forearm... :psyduck:

checksin
Nov 23, 2006

I joined the new sensation, the #RXT REVOLUTION~!

:chillout:

he knows...
The styles clash draws its power from how goofy it looks

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
the styles clash would look less goofy if there was some way of setting up where the guy taking it clearly doesn't have to help wrap their arms around AJ's legs

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

Francis is my name, and breeding is my game. All bow before the fertile smut-god!

Raskolnikov38 posted:

the styles clash would look less goofy if there was some way of setting up where the guy taking it clearly doesn't have to help wrap their arms around AJ's legs

I like it whenever they have to try a few times to get it hooked in.

OTOH the phenomenal forearm is wonderful and I would submit that it is the best forearm that doesnt' involve "steel plate" or "Screws" in someone's forearm.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Nikki Bella's is a close second

AJ's is really helped by how graceful he is, so it looks loving glorious in slomo

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

Platypus Farm posted:

I like it whenever they have to try a few times to get it hooked in.
I remember when Ellsworth didn't bother hooking his arms around AJ's legs and would've been killed if not for a last-second adjustment.

E: Actually that had more to do with Ellsworth not keeping his head parallel to AJ's legs as AJ was falling

FUCKFACE MORON fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Sep 8, 2017

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Jericho might be fibbing a bit, here, They teased the Styles Clash and they called it that in the Rumble when AJ debuted and he used the Styles Clash for the first time against Curtis Axel on SmackDown a couple days later.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
The only problem I have with the Phenomenal Forearm is that it's not called the Phenomenal Phorearm.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

Eli Wiggum posted:

I remember when Ellsworth didn't bother hooking his arms around AJ's legs and would've been killed if not for a last-second adjustment.

E: Actually that had more to do with Ellsworth not keeping his head parallel to AJ's legs as AJ was falling

ellsworth had his head in the full yoshitatsu position, didn't he? i remember watching it live and being nervous until aj dropped to his knees to keep from killing the jobber.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

shiksa posted:

ellsworth had his head in the full yoshitatsu position, didn't he? i remember watching it live and being nervous until aj dropped to his knees to keep from killing the jobber.
All I know is that as AJ was falling down onto his stomach, Ellsworth's head was still upside down and AJ had to land on his knees to prevent from killing Ellsworth.

If that's what you mean by "Yoshi Tatsu position" then yes :shobon:

im cute
Sep 21, 2009

DoctorGonzo posted:

delete this crap

this may be the first time I agree with you; the styles clash is good as hell

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

Eli Wiggum posted:

All I know is that as AJ was falling down onto his stomach, Ellsworth's head was still upside down and AJ had to land on his knees to prevent from killing Ellsworth.

If that's what you mean by "Yoshi Tatsu position" then yes :shobon:

yeah, that's right he had his chin tucked. yoshi was one of the guys aj injured in njpw, he had his head in the same position but aj didnt fall to his knees like he did with ellsworth. and then new japan not only didn't ban it, but built a mystique about it breaking people's necks, because new japan.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy
How can you not like the phenomenal forearm, that hurts my brain. Especially how AJ jumps from the apron straight up to the top rope for the springboard and his body is like nearly 10 feet in the air when he prepares the delivery.

It's never not looked awesome, and it's one of the best looking moves in WWE in slow motion.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i always feel aj should get some wins off the calf crusher. the setup is so slick and can come out of nowhere, plus it does look like it hurts like a motherfucker.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Grendels Dad posted:

The only problem I have with the Phenomenal Forearm is that it's not called the Phenomenal Phwoararm.

ftfy

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP
Yoshi Tatsu is okay now and still wrestling, at least.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Strawberry Panda posted:

Yoshi Tatsu is okay now and still wrestling, at least.
If that's what you call that

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

Let Styles use the hollow point or spiral tap as his finisher

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

What i read was that most wrestling moves are taken by tucking the chin, so it's almost a reflex for a lot of guys? The Styles Clash requires raising your chin so it clears the mat and doesn't have 2 people's body weight snapping your neck.

So you can imagine how confusing these instructions are to James Ellsworth.

Jenkem Delivery posted:

AJ says he's too old to do the Spiral Tap anymore.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

If you're landing on your back: Tuck your chin. And the opposite is true for landing face down. Whatever keeps your head/neck from taking any impact. Try and spread the impact along the greatest surface area. Back, hands and feet if you can.

Bumping and selling was my favorite part about when I used to backyard wrestle back in the day, but had to quit when I realized half the people just wanted to beat the poo poo out of eachother. Who woulda thought?

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

RealFoxy posted:

If that's what you call that

Whatever keeps him away from the commentary desk.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Jenkem Delivery posted:

The Spiral Tap sucks rear end, especially compared to the forearm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RacistGuidingLight
Apr 5, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
AJ Styles should use the discus lariat.

• Locked thread