Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

The White Dragon posted:

for the sake of everyone you play with, strictly avoid combo headsets.

I play online with a bunch of guys that all have different headsets. None of them have any issues whatsoever so I don't know what kind of half-arsed kit your people have.

In other news, I really enjoy the Batman games and just started playing Arkham Origins. Loads of Bat-fun and then they stick me with the Deathstroke fight only a couple of hours in and it feels like the difficulty is set for the end-game boss. What a piece of poo poo. A lesser game would have made me uninstall. I'll get it eventually but I foresee more hours just trying to get through this one prick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING
Space Hulk: Deathwing is currently 50% off for $20. I know the game wasn't the great at launch, but I've heard they've patched it since. Is it worth jumping into for that price?

Unbalanced
Sep 29, 2005

Gerblyn posted:

I liked the way it provided a narrative framework for the game to judge how you played the game and I personally didn't see it coming, but when you do the whole (HUGE SPOILER!) It was all just a dream! style ending, that's always gonna be fundamentally unsatisfying.

I was more ok with it than what is typical with that style of ending, because at the very least (ALSO HUGE SPOILER!) the simulation was based on events that had really happened. How the real Morgan handled the situations is left up in the air and all we can know for sure is that he/she didn't kill or let Alex die.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Unbalanced posted:

I was more ok with it than what is typical with that style of ending, because at the very least (ALSO HUGE SPOILER!) the simulation was based on events that had really happened. How the real Morgan handled the situations is left up in the air and all we can know for sure is that he/she didn't kill or let Alex die.

She probably got killed by the Nightmare because she didn't have quicksave/quickload

Turd Herder
May 21, 2008

BALLCOCK BALLCOCK BALLCOCK BALLCOCK
Steam game Monaco-What yours is mine is free untill 6pm PST today. Pick it up if you don't have it.

owl_pellet
Nov 20, 2005

show your enemy
what you look like

Terminally Bored posted:

Okami HD was just rated by ESRB for PC. Wanted SEGA to port Virtua Fighter 5 but this'll do.

Sweet I always wanted to play this back in the PS2 days but I never did. Same for God Hand so I hope they do that as well.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Gerblyn posted:

I liked the way it provided a narrative framework for the game to judge how you played the game and I personally didn't see it coming, but when you do the whole (HUGE SPOILER!) It was all just a dream! style ending, that's always gonna be fundamentally unsatisfying.

It's not as laughably implemented as it was in say Vanishing of Ethan Carter, but the surprise, it was all a dream/simulation ending to me always indicates a lack of confidence in your storytelling. Make bolder choices and trust that the audience will pick up what you're putting down, knawmean.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Velocity Raptor posted:

Space Hulk: Deathwing is currently 50% off for $20. I know the game wasn't the great at launch, but I've heard they've patched it since. Is it worth jumping into for that price?

If you want to marvel at how you can make Space Marines in Terminator Armour feel piddly and weak, yeah. Bad game is bad.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Is Steep still bad? I'm feeling a hankering for some snowsports action.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Edmond Dantes posted:

Any good wireless headset recommendations? I was gonna slap a modmic to my sennheiser cans for voice comms but I like the idea of having something without cables (with good sound quality, not just some el cheapo ones).

From a cursory amazon search I'm eyeballing the Corsair VOID and the Logitech G933 since I've always liked their stuff. The Logitech looks busy as gently caress, but I couldn't find a... 'non gamer' version, unfortunately.

Opinions and recommendations welcome.

I've used the Logitech G930 for 2 years, which is "less busy" than the one you linked. I have enjoyed it immensely. Great battery life, comfortable for long periods of time, sound incredible (there is a switch that changes it from stereo to Dolby and it's insane when you know the disparity), and I assume the microphone is solid as you have heard me use it in Overwatch. As a bonus, they are cheaper than the Logitech G933!

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

exquisite tea posted:

It's not as laughably implemented as it was in say Vanishing of Ethan Carter, but the surprise, it was all a dream/simulation ending to me always indicates a lack of confidence in your storytelling. Make bolder choices and trust that the audience will pick up what you're putting down, knawmean.
I'm kinda willing to forgive Prey for this because they hide it behind the very obvious "reveal" that you were Typhon all along which is such a typical game plot twist it didn't occur to me to look past it. The Typhon-infested Earth is a nice reveal as well.
Shame we won't get a sequel.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

I see that Styx: Shards of Darkness is 50% off. If you're looking for an old-school "creeping around in the shadows" stealth game, this will definitely scratch that itch. There's a bit of low-budget jank and the ending is sequel-bait but it plays great and the maps are fun and challenging. Also, they don't reuse all of the levels like they did in the first one. Finding creative ways to use the cloning power is also a lot of fun.

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

Has anyone played The Long Dark's story mode (Wintermute) and if so do they have any opinion on if it's worth waiting until all the episodes are out to play? I already own it, but I'm not sure if I want to hold off or not.

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

il_cornuto posted:

Has anyone played The Long Dark's story mode (Wintermute) and if so do they have any opinion on if it's worth waiting until all the episodes are out to play? I already own it, but I'm not sure if I want to hold off or not.

I say go ahead and play it. The way transitions between the first 2 episodes make it feel very pick-up and go, so you're not right in the middle of something when the episode ends. Alan Wake's episode would be a good comparison in that the episodes are fully self contained. Given how the survival mechanics have been around since EA, you shouldn't need to worry about forgetting some how to play.

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

Sounds good, I'll start playing tonight. Thanks!

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Thanks all for the headset recommendations and comments. I'll probably end up basing what I get depending on what a friend of mine is willing to bring over from the states; if he tells me to gently caress right off with a giant box, I may end up getting the modmic after all. :v:

Thanks again!

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

If you want to marvel at how you can make Space Marines in Terminator Armour feel piddly and weak, yeah. Bad game is bad.

That statement doesn't hold much weight due to the fact that it comes from the guy who also recommended Man'O War: Corsair.

Tardcore
Jan 24, 2011

Not cool enough for the Spider-man club.

Seventh Arrow posted:

I see that Styx: Shards of Darkness is 50% off. If you're looking for an old-school "creeping around in the shadows" stealth game, this will definitely scratch that itch. There's a bit of low-budget jank and the ending is sequel-bait but it plays great and the maps are fun and challenging. Also, they don't reuse all of the levels like they did in the first one. Finding creative ways to use the cloning power is also a lot of fun.

Just be aware Styx is soooo sooooo much more annoying than he was in the first game. My god I wish he would shut up.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

VolticSurge posted:

That statement doesn't hold much weight due to the fact that it comes from the guy who also recommended Man'O War: Corsair.

What's wrong with Man O' War: Corsair?

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Seventh Arrow posted:

This reminds me, I need to finish Of Orcs and Men, the game that spawned all the Styx sequels

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

VolticSurge posted:

One of these features Ork ships that board you by literally launching a claw at you. The other one has hordes of genestealers at most ten genestealers on screen at any given time, some of them shooting normal rear end assault rifles and doing damage to a bloody Terminator while the melee attack of a genestealer does as much damage as an individual zombie in Left 4 Dead. One of these is exceedingly Warhammer as gently caress, the other is not. Will give credit where its due though, Deathwing is bloody gorgeous and the aesthetic and plot are both very well realised 40k. Shame about the anemic gunplay, dull melee and infuriatingly neutered enemies.

Man O' War is kinda cheeseball and jank and I love it for that. Deathwing is Streum-On taking away the weird and satisfying from EYE and making it a horde shooter.

FirstAidKite posted:

While I'm a staunch defender of it, it has terrible melee, janky animations consistently and certain graphics still look fairly placeholder, like the cannon aiming one. It's just kinda a pure green with some opacity, it doesn't appear to be rendered in any way to be appealing to the eye. The way certain events trigger is also janky as heck. It also is mostly lacking in voice acting, though that's actually great because it let the devs put in a whole bunch of quest lines rather than just generic missions everywhere which may have been too expensive for a small dev to implement with voice work.

HerpicleOmnicron5 fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Sep 8, 2017

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Gort posted:

Eh, I thought it was fine.

well we tend to have at least somewhat similar views on civ so you know what brah i'll tentatively believe you for now :v:

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

FirstAidKite posted:

Graphically, it looks about 12 years old, mechanically nothing feels right; right down to the attempt at ripping off Black Flag's naval combat... which 9 times out of ten leaves you completely loving blind due to the AWFUL stock smoke effects and I can't even tell when I'm actually hurting other ships, the melee combat is floaty and doesn't feel great at all; you just kind of wack at mooks until they fall over and die, shooting is serviceable but still lacks oomph and just suffers from the same issues as everything else.

I never really bothered to delve into its open world much because I couldn't even get past the awful first impressions.

$30 game it aint, it looks and feels like a $10 budget title.

At least Deathwing looks great, feels great, and sounds great... unfortunately it's literally just L4D with cumbersome squishy terminators instead of agile humans and isn't actually fun to play.

Deakul fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Sep 8, 2017

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

FirstAidKite posted:

It's jank, for one thing. It's also buggy as hell. Then there's the fact that on-foot combat is tedious as hell-especially sacking ports. Basically you're better off spending your money on a good Warhammer game like Space Marine Spess Mureen.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Deakul posted:

Graphically, it looks about 12 years old, mechanically nothing feels right; right down to the attempt at ripping off Black Flag's naval combat... which 9 times out of ten leaves you completely loving blind due to the AWFUL stock smoke effects, the melee combat is floaty and doesn't feel great at all; you just kind of wack at mooks until they fall over and die, shooting is serviceable but still lacks oomph and just suffers from the same issues as everything else.

I never really bothered to delve into its open world much because I couldn't even get past the awful first impressions.

$30 game it aint, it looks and feels like a $10 budget title.

At least Deathwing looks great, feels great, and sounds great... unfortunately it's literally just L4D with cumbersome squishy terminators instead of agile humans and isn't actually fun to play.

Yeah, I 100% agree with all of this. I'd never recommend it at full price, but I still think it's better than Deathwing. If you do make it past the first impressions (I didn't at first) you'll find a game that tries so very hard but you know the devs were not capable enough to accomplish what they were going for rather than a game that is dull at the very conceptual foundation.

VolticSurge posted:

Basically you're better off spending your money on the best Warhammer game like Battlefleet Gothic Armada.

Just had to fix that slightly, though Space Marine is also quite fun.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

VolticSurge posted:

It's jank, for one thing. It's also buggy as hell. Then there's the fact that on-foot combat is tedious as hell-especially sacking ports. Basically you're better off spending your money on a good Warhammer game like Space Marine Spess Mureen.

Ugh, I'd kill for a sequel to that game. Especially since it hinted that you'd become a Librarian in the future.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Rip steam

https://www.destructoid.com/malaysia-blocks-steam-access-in-opposition-to-fight-of-gods-game-459944.phtml

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

What the gently caress? Also, I'm Malaysian and I can still access Steam.

EDIT: Now that I think about it, I do believe our Censorship Board's dumb enough to block Steam wholesale instead of requesting that that game not be made available here.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Deakul posted:

Unless they updated this in a patch I don't agree with it feeling great. If it felt great it would be fun to play. Instead it's full of stuff like low-bass gunshots and a gun that shoots bullets at one rate, plays a firing sound effect at a different rate, and recoils the screen at yet another different rate. That kind of thing feels extremely sloppy in an FPS, especially when the guns in their previous game actually felt fantastic.

I'm going to give it another shot when I have a computer that will run it better, but when the format of your game means the primary thing you do all the time is shoot at aliens, that part had better feel great, and I didn't think it did.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name
So Jeff Minter, who also posts on these dead gay forums from time to time, released TxK on PS Vita some years ago. It's my favorite game on that dead gay console and it's a goddamn shame that Atari threatened to sue the guy which stopped him from porting it to other platforms.

Turns out he somehow got a deal with Atari and he's now making Tempest 4000:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xU-TCsp8C00

It looks EXACTLY like TxK, except there are some more visual effects and the music's different. Even the levels are the same.

edit: here's the TxK music in all it's early 90s ravey goodness: https://txk-ost.bandcamp.com/album/txk-the-original-soundtrack

Terminally Bored fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Sep 8, 2017

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

The fabled Good Comment?

quote:

They're just angry that Jesus is OP. I mean, His cross-ups are insane!

Cantide
Jun 13, 2001
Pillbug
This is probably old news but the Walking Dead Season 1 by Telltale is apparently free on the Humble Store right now

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Digirat posted:

Unless they updated this in a patch I don't agree with it feeling great. If it felt great it would be fun to play. Instead it's full of stuff like low-bass gunshots and a gun that shoots bullets at one rate, plays a firing sound effect at a different rate, and recoils the screen at yet another different rate. That kind of thing feels extremely sloppy in an FPS, especially when the guns in their previous game actually felt fantastic.

I'm going to give it another shot when I have a computer that will run it better, but when the format of your game means the primary thing you do all the time is shoot at aliens, that part had better feel great, and I didn't think it did.

Yeah, also power fists and thunder hammers feel less weighty than normal swords and hammers in bloody Vermintide. Let's not forget the nonsense hacking minigame (not even as interesting conceptually as in EYE), the sheer amount of walking around with no action happening and the sloppy design of the levels not evoking any real senses of say, claustraphobia or being lost.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Cantide posted:

This is probably old news but the Walking Dead Season 1 by Telltale is apparently free on the Humble Store right now

Revolution 1979 is also on sale for like $1 if that's your thing.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Terminally Bored posted:

It looks EXACTLY like TxK, except there are some more visual effects and the music's different. Even the levels are the same.
It started as a port of TxK to PC and PS4 (the one that Atari stopped, funnily enough), but has evolved into its own beast. I can't find the details right now, though.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name

The Kins posted:

It started as a port of TxK to PC and PS4 (the one that Atari stopped, funnily enough), but has evolved into its own beast. I can't find the details right now, though.

Will it get the txk music? It owned so much.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Terminally Bored posted:

Will it get the txk music? It owned so much.
They've been talking with the TxK musicians, so hopefully.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

exquisite tea posted:

Revolution 1979 is also on sale for like $1 if that's your thing.

People need to know that Revolution 1979 is a WALKING SIMULATOR, not a GTA clone.

That said, it's a very, very good Walking Simulator that really makes an impression

Oblivion4568238
Oct 10, 2012

The Inquisition.
What a show.
The Inquisition.
Here. We. Go.
College Slice

Gromit posted:

In other news, I really enjoy the Batman games and just started playing Arkham Origins. Loads of Bat-fun and then they stick me with the Deathstroke fight only a couple of hours in and it feels like the difficulty is set for the end-game boss. What a piece of poo poo. A lesser game would have made me uninstall. I'll get it eventually but I foresee more hours just trying to get through this one prick.

Origins Deathstroke is one of the two Actually Good boss fights across the entire Arkham series, so it's unfortunate you're having trouble. Just think of him like the Combat version of Mr. Freeze's Predator boss fight from City: you need to mix up all of the tools at your disposal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

strategery
Apr 21, 2004
I come to you baring a gift. Its in my diper and its not a toaster.
Flame in the Flood: https://www.humblebundle.com/gift?key=dK3aepbP8bS8Se5t

Infested Planet : (TAKEN)

Human Fall Flat: (TAKEN)

strategery fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Sep 9, 2017