Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

MrMojok posted:

Mike... LIVES... in the house on Neibolt Street? Are you loving serious?

Don't think it said that. Thought it was a burned down one somewhere else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
Tig Notaro did an amazing job as Eddie

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

yeah the house on neibolt street isn't burned down (bowers even mentions the ashes of mike's house while trying to kill mike in the house on neibolt street).

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Absolutely amazing. I loved every second of it. I only had two minor complaints: It felt rushed in the second act. The Deadlights didn't really accomplish anything. I realize we can't have Bev go insane, so why not just do it to one of the bullies as a show of power? maybe they'll expand on it in chapter 2. overall I thought it was great. Go see it.

Vhak lord of hate
Jun 6, 2008

I AM DRINK THE BLOOD OF JESUS
I hated it because they changed minute details from my favourite child orgy book.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

TheHoosier posted:

Absolutely amazing. I loved every second of it. I only had two minor complaints: It felt rushed in the second act. The Deadlights didn't really accomplish anything. I realize we can't have Bev go insane, so why not just do it to one of the bullies as a show of power? maybe they'll expand on it in chapter 2. overall I thought it was great. Go see it.

They had to cram in that they actually literally "float" also.

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

:spooky:
Screaming is the only useful thing that we can do.

Chapter 2 is just a loving clown sprinting at full speed, over and over again, towards some 40 year olds who are Googling "Deadlights".

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
little bothered they went for a oh no they kidnapped the love interest angle to set up the confrontation. It feels weird to have the most archaic and formulaic part of the plot not be in the original story. Its especially weird because that exact same plot point happens in the second part anyways.

I do think this version of how they beat It is the best, gently caress rituals and silver kick his loving rear end

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Mel Mudkiper posted:

little bothered they went for a oh no they kidnapped the love interest angle to set up the confrontation.

I thought it was a let down too. Even after they had basically a false ending where it seemed like it was all over. After the old house stuff, the movie literally just repeats itself again for another 30m. The movie theater was playing Nightmare on Elm Street also, ironic how they bad guy is basically the same thing as Freddy. Or at least they turned Pennywise into a Freddy clone.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Sep 9, 2017

Disgusting Coward
Feb 17, 2014
By the third time It ran towards someone while going BLARUGHRHAHAHAHARUGHABHAHAHAHRUGHA I was officially Bored.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Tenzarin posted:

See I didn't even really catch that. I liked the idea of the giant refuse pile and just thought it made for spooky supernatural imagery. I get what you're saying though.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

TheHoosier posted:

See I didn't even really catch that.

I'm not sure how you couldn't catch this, haha.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Disgusting Coward posted:

By the third time It ran towards someone while going BLARUGHRHAHAHAHARUGHABHAHAHAHRUGHA I was officially Bored.

I thought the physical body language of It was incredibly well done though, so I never got particularly tired of watching him chase people

I just wish his other forms used practical effects for the faces rather than CG. The designs are amazing and horrifying but its so obvious its a computer thats not really there

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I'm not sure how you couldn't catch this, haha.

I saw it, I didn't equate it to his "float" schtick.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

TheHoosier posted:

I saw it, I didn't equate it to his "float" schtick.

That's what I mean. I'm curious what you thought of it then.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Two minor gripes

I felt like Mike showed up way too late in the story. He knows them for pretty much a day.

Also when the floating children start coming down, Bill cries over Georgie's raincoat. Wouldn't Georgie's body literally be right there in that room for him to cry over?

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

That's what I mean. I'm curious what you thought of it then.

Nothing. I just took the entire scene as a whole. Now that it's been mentioned I feel silly for not catching it to begin with. I just took it all in as "spooky supernatural clown lair"

Ty1990
Apr 22, 2011

The movie was great but lmfao

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

Tenzarin posted:

Yeah pretty sure in the book float means their bodies will float in the sewer water not literally floating like balloons.

William Contraalto
Aug 23, 2017

by Smythe
This movie was put together very well but it left me cold. I also have to say that I'm confused as to why they changed Mike's backstory but then made it so his parents could have been at the Black Spot anyways.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Sadly this is what makes a horror movie now.

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??
Movie is loving rad, I caught the early showing this morning and loved it so much I went in the evening again with a packed audience, I really like how the film uses Pennywise relatively sparingly and let's the child cast shine.

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?
Pretty cool that this is the same cinematographer who does most of Park Chan-wook's films (The Handmaiden, Oldboy etc.,). The fact that it's shot so well definitely elevates this movie to a higher level.

Also in short I would recommend people watch both this and the 90s miniseries because they're both good and are nice companions to each other.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

I would rather have wargagabahshe running clown than 3 million jump scares so fair trade

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I would rather have wargagabahshe running clown than 3 million jump scares so fair trade

this is how my wife and I felt. the movie was so well-shot that the scenes with the RAGBALAHBRLHAHR running clown were actually pretty good. I usually don't give a poo poo about horror movies and feel like most of them are hokey jumpscare piss, but I didn't feel that way in this movie

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe
I'm not much of a moviegoer, especially horror but this caught my attention due to the reputation of the TV movies and critic's overall consensus on It being good. I freaking loved this movie when I saw it last night on a whim.

Only real complaint, I felt like the 2nd act simultaneously had too much going on and dragged on at the same time. That said, it's hard to say exactly what Skaarsgaard did with Pennywise outside of "he loving nailed it".

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Lol I am rewatching the mini series now and wow Tim Curry is literally the only good thing in it

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
Even though the parade of jump scare scenes went on too long, I loved it. I was ready for the plot to move on, but also I wanted more scenes of Pennywise doing Pennywise poo poo.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Lol I am rewatching the mini series now and wow Tim Curry is literally the only good thing in it

Yeah, he's amazing in it though.

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Yeah at least they got the villain. The adult scenes are just terrible and so is the ending (they just kick Pennywise to death when he is in his spider form). Thank fully there are not many adult scenes.

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

Also the kid they got to play Ben was adorable.

I busted out laughing the second his opening scene started.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Deadulus posted:

Yeah at least they got the villain. The adult scenes are just terrible and so is the ending (they just kick Pennywise to death when he is in his spider form). Thank fully there are not many adult scenes.

They pull his monster spider heart out!

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

I'M BACK AND I'M SCARIN' WHITE FOLKS
THESE ARE GAZEBOS

Movie loving rocked.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I thought the miniseries portrayed how much of a horror Bowers is quite well.

curiosity fucked me up
Oct 7, 2014
Film was great. The acting direction with Pennywise in this movie was fantastic. They made sure to allow for Pennywise to be both funny and scary. I loved the fact that Pennywise would start salivating all over himself when he had one of the kids in his clutches.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Just saw It. It was awesome.

I'm sure that the scene with the boys in their undies staring at an undressed Bev made Stephen King very proud.

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

curiosity hosed me up posted:

Film was great. The acting direction with Pennywise in this movie was fantastic. They made sure to allow for Pennywise to be both funny and scary. I loved the fact that Pennywise would start salivating all over himself when he had one of the kids in his clutches.

This movie and the mini series did a good job of having him be charming and menacing. There is something so scary when he transitions from charming to his blank menacing look.

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal
Watched the movie wishing this was a 12 episode miniseries with each kid getting a dedicated intro episode. I really enjoyed it but there were groans in the audience when it went Book 2 at the end.

curiosity fucked me up
Oct 7, 2014

Shadowhand00 posted:

Watched the movie wishing this was a 12 episode miniseries with each kid getting a dedicated intro episode. I really enjoyed it but there were groans in the audience when it went Book 2 at the end.

That happened in my theater as well. I guess i just severely overestimate how many people watched the original

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
I liked it a lot, but it definitely lost me a bit as an adaptation in some places. I think the one thing the mini-series gets that I think is lacking a bit in the film is that Pennywise doesn't seem as embedded in the kids' lives. A lot of the book is about the kids just being kids, and the weird thing about Pennywise is that it's not very disruptive to that. I think one of the creepy underlying things about It is that it feels like a thing that could have happened in your childhood but just forgot. For as much as the book's descriptions of children's private parts is justifiably mocked, it's a book that really is about how dangerous childhood feels and how dangerous children can seem to adults and it nails that. I think the film sort of gets there in the ending, but I think stuff like Bowers is lacking because a crazy and threatening twelve year old is sincerely more unsettling than a crazy sixteen year old or nebulous teen. Similarly, Eddie gets a good line when he stands up to his mom, but it lacks that punch to the gut from the book that almost makes you sympathize with his lovely mom.

I'm actually not totally against the change with Bev. One of the more intriguing things about the film is that it's never fully clear if Bev's dad is actively sexually assaulting her yet or even if she had sex with Bowers. That stuff is irrelevant because it doesn't matter when she's with the Losers. The only truth is the truth her friends believe. Ben decides what the truth is when he throws the rock. Bev literally being Sleeping Beauty is pretty on point. Friendship is transformative. although I'm curious if they'll do something with her having seen the Dead Lights.

And I get there's a lot to be uneasy about what I just said, but I'd say it's not all just cliches.

• Locked thread