Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
misadventurous
Jun 26, 2013

the wise gem bowed her head solemnly and spoke: "theres actually zero difference between good & bad quartzes. you imbecile. you fucking moron"

I think the only truly great Gallifrey story is The Lethal Guy Who Kills People (I wouldn't consider The War Games a Gallifrey story, it barely resembles the version of the Time Lords we think of now)

Less is definitely more when it comes to the Time Lords

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I'm a "less is more" person when it comes to the Time Lords (and also prefer the War Games version of them), but given that they are a bunch of xenophobic traditionalists, obsessed with ceremony, wanting to cut themselves off from the rest of the Universe, it's not a bad time for them show up, exactly. We still know next to nothing about what Chibnall has planned, it's kind of exciting.

FreezingInferno
Jul 15, 2010

THERE.
WILL.
BE.
NO.
BATTLE.
HERE!
Everyone stop what you're doing, it's a landmark anniversary. Today marks 30 years since everyone's favorite spoon-playing chessmaster, Sylvester McCoy, made his debut in the... interesting tale that was Time And The Rani.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

FreezingInferno posted:

Everyone stop what you're doing, it's a landmark anniversary. Today marks 30 years since everyone's favorite spoon-playing chessmaster, Sylvester McCoy, made his debut in the... interesting tale that was Time And The Rani.

Yes, but did he show up at someone's house to watch it?

https://twitter.com/DoctorSimeon/status/905817065893879809

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I'm up to The Underwater Menace and Polly is much more fun to watch than I remember, but Ben is an insufferable wet blanket. I'd forgotten how good Patrick Troughton is. It's no wonder that the show survived Hartnell's departure, he just immediately makes you like him. Jaime is, of course, amazing, but he feels like a weird fit with Ben and Polly. And he's with them pretty much all season! I'd forgotten how long it takes for Victoria to show up.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Fil5000 posted:

Yeah, he was a dick that killed you because you dared to come looking for his stuff.
Makes sense, since everything in existence has been "the [item] of Rassilon" at some point

The Cat of Rassilon demands attention and to be spoiled with the Food Dish of Rassilon filled with the Cat Food of Rassilon followed by care from the Brush of Rassilon before curling up in a Sunbeam of Rassilon and having a Nap of Rassilon

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Vinylshadow posted:

Makes sense, since everything in existence has been "the [item] of Rassilon" at some point

The Cat of Rassilon demands attention and to be spoiled with the Food Dish of Rassilon filled with the Cat Food of Rassilon followed by care from the Brush of Rassilon before curling up in a Sunbeam of Rassilon and having a Nap of Rassilon

Omega: :smith:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

IIIIIIIIII should've been a DOG!

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

There's some that suspect the Cat of Rassilon and Omega are one and the same, as neither has ever been seen at the same time with the other

CityMidnightJunky
May 11, 2013

by Smythe

Davros1 posted:

Jesus. Why do I feel like he wasn't in the room when the picture was originally taken.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Bicyclops posted:

I'm a "less is more" person when it comes to the Time Lords (and also prefer the War Games version of them), but given that they are a bunch of xenophobic traditionalists, obsessed with ceremony, wanting to cut themselves off from the rest of the Universe, it's not a bad time for them show up, exactly. We still know next to nothing about what Chibnall has planned, it's kind of exciting.

I'm interested in seeing what comes of this five year plan he says he has. Presumably it was part of his pitch to the Beeb, so that might mean they're prepared to commit to it on their end. We'll see. I'm confident enough in Whittaker's ability but remain cautiously optimistic at best on the creative side of things.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Davros1 posted:

They do not show the open bar

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

bobkatt013 posted:

They do not show the open bar

By the time someone got their camera out, it was gone.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pKaeOweGrWs

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

CityMidnightJunky posted:

Jesus. Why do I feel like he wasn't in the room when the picture was originally taken.

the pole!!

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

CityMidnightJunky posted:

Because Tom has the ability to insert himself into any photograph at any time and place

He's a bit like a Harry Potter photograph, able to flit from one picture to another

The more booze that's in the picture, the more likely he is to stop by and drink it all

I wonder if the pictures of the American Prohibition used to have more beer until he learned about it, which is why those pictures always look so bleak

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

The Other: [REDACTED]

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Astroman posted:

The Other: [DELETED AND NEVER MENTIONED EVER AGAIN]

Fixed. Man the new adventures had some dumb poo poo.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Vinylshadow posted:

Because Tom has the ability to insert himself into any photograph at any time and place

He's a bit like a Harry Potter photograph, able to flit from one picture to another

The more booze that's in the picture, the more likely he is to stop by and drink it all

I wonder if the pictures of the American Prohibition used to have more beer until he learned about it, which is why those pictures always look so bleak

That's explains why their is no booze in the paintings were that weird curator works

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I see Class has been axed. Never really found its audience, did it?

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

Wheat Loaf posted:

I see Class has been axed. Never really found its audience, did it?

That last scene is still hilarious as gently caress though.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
And so it joins the ranks of shows that only ever had one season, but the DVD still says "season one". :v:

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

As usual, the most interesting part of Class is the bits they barely gave focus to, namely the aliens

Any scene that had the various alien of the week in it was great, but once it went to typical teen shenanigans, it dragged

I enjoyed it overall and it helped keep me sane during the Wholess Year

Quill stole the show for me

Sad King Billy
Jan 27, 2006

Thats three of ours innit...to one of yours. You know mate I really think we ought to even up the average!
I was thinking about what type of story we can expect to see during the Chibnall regime and that got me thinking about something related, stories with messages or episodes that are allegorical, something that Sci Fi and Fantasy are famous for but rarely do well.

Obviously Dr Who has tried to be more than a Sci Fi show in the past, The Sunmakers was a story that work from the classic series, Robert Holmes taking a shot at the taxman. In more modern times, Peter Harness is infamous for his attempts to say something about what is happening in the world.

Should the new series do something similar and if so, what issues and topic should it cover?

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
Class is one of those things that you wonder how it got past the planning stage.

Like, to contrast it with the other spin-offs, it has the most tenuous of tenuous relations to the main show, and struggles to find its own original identity outside of Doctor Who. And what little it does find is unbearable teen drama that's been done literally a million times better in other shows.

It's not an unworkable concept, but it's about a decade too late.

It wasn't unwatchable, but it was difficult to keep invested.

Sad King Billy posted:

Should the new series do something similar and if so, what issues and topic should it cover?

I want more clumsily-handled issues by Harness; he's only covered abortion and immigration in a tone-deaf fashion, there's plenty more out there waiting! :suicide:

In seriousness, I wouldn't mind seeing a return to the full historical - without loving lion people or other random rear end aliens thrown in. And keep away from Gallifrey and the Time Lords, just for a bit. Also no episodes like Cyberwoman.

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Sep 10, 2017

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I like the full historicals too.

Sad King Billy
Jan 27, 2006

Thats three of ours innit...to one of yours. You know mate I really think we ought to even up the average!
I'd like to see historicals as well, unfortunately they would be limited by budget or the casting pool, it would be difficult to do a story set during the Japanese occupation of Manchuria for instance, or on a Polynesian island.

I'm bored of British history.

Also lets have no hero worship, I'm still annoyed by the Churchill as a cheeky scamp portrayal we got in the Gatiss stories. If it is to be a true historical, let it be a warts and all story.

Sad King Billy
Jan 27, 2006

Pesky Splinter posted:

I want more clumsily-handled issues by Harness; he's only covered abortion and immigration in a tone-deaf fashion, there's plenty more out there waiting! :suicide:

In seriousness, I wouldn't mind seeing a return to the full historical - without loving lion people or other random rear end aliens thrown in. And keep away from Gallifrey and the Time Lords, just for a bit. Also no episodes like Cyberwoman.

Lets see him write a story about transgender people, I'm sure that is a topic that needs a heavy hand.

Sad King Billy fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Sep 10, 2017

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Sad King Billy posted:

Lets see him write a story about transgendered people, I'm sure that is a topic that needs a heavy hand.

^transgender, not transgendered.

jivjov fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Sep 10, 2017

Sad King Billy
Jan 27, 2006

jivjov posted:

^transgender, not transgnedered.

Is that not a word, or just a word people don't like?

Oh it is, nevermind.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Sad King Billy posted:

Is that not a word, or just a word people don't like?

Oh it is, nevermind.

Basically, 'transgender' is an adjective like 'tall'. Tall people aren't "talled". Transgender people aren't "transgendered".

E: thanks :)

jivjov fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Sep 10, 2017

Sad King Billy
Jan 27, 2006

OK I have changed that to head off a derail, I've heard and seen the word used so didn't think anything about it

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Pesky Splinter posted:

how quickly we forget "those scientist types, what"

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

jivjov posted:

^transgender, not transgnedered.

don't judge me by my gneder

Stabbatical
Sep 15, 2011

Pesky Splinter posted:

Sad King Billy posted:

Lets see him write a story about transgender people, I'm sure that is a topic that needs a heavy hand.

How about the worst of both worlds? A story where the Cybermen are a metaphor for transgender people with Cyberwoman-esque costumes. :v:

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Stabbatical posted:

How about the worst of both worlds? A story where the Cybermen are a metaphor for transgender people with Cyberwoman-esque costumes. :v:

At the end they turn to Jodie and say YOU ARE A GOOD CYBERMAN

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Astroman posted:

The Other: [REDACTED]

Funny you should mention the demat gun a page or two ago...

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Sad King Billy posted:

I think the new series will, and we'll wish it didn't, but I also think it should. Sci-fi should really try to use its setting and concepts to say something about the world we live in at least some of the time, and there's been points when Doctor Who has done it well. It's just that Peter Harness has not been one of those. I'd say that the most recent story we can look to for proof they can do it right is Oxygen, which is probably the best episode of the last season to me that wasn't the finale two-parter.

Reflexively I'd love to say that I'd like to see an episode about trans people, provided it was written well and was properly sympathetic, but I don't know if there's a possible take on it that wouldn't have really bad connotations even if done with the best of intentions. The best idea I've got so far is people with cybernetic augmentations being discriminated against and persecuted specifically because people think they're a social gateway for the Cybermen, but I think bringing the Cybermen in on that one in general is a recipe for disaster.

Cleretic fucked around with this message at 09:48 on Sep 11, 2017

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Cleretic posted:

I think the new series will, and we'll wish it didn't, but I also think it should. Sci-fi should really try to use its setting and concepts to say something about the world we live in at least some of the time, and there's been points when Doctor Who has done it well. It's just that Peter Harness has not been one of those. I'd say that the most recent story we can look to for proof they can do it right is Oxygen, which is probably the best episode of the last season to me that wasn't the finale two-parter.

Reflexively I'd love to say that I'd like to see an episode about trans people, provided it was written well and was properly sympathetic, but I don't know if there's a possible take on it that wouldn't have really bad connotations even if done with the best of intentions. The best idea I've got so far is people with cybernetic augmentations being discriminated against and persecuted specifically because people think they're a social gateway for the Cybermen, but I think bringing the Cybermen in on that one in general is a recipe for disaster.

Because almost any episode that attempts a nuanced look at a social issue will be inevitably torn apart by someone. For example, in the idea you cite, comparing trans people to Cybermen is problamatic because it implies being transgender is a bolt on artificial change, and not revealing a person's true nature.

The only way Doctor Who can safely address social issues without offending someone is with broad strokes, like punching a racist and heavy handed monologues. Or really veilled allusions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
If they try to do something on transgender issues, it'll end up being another Zygon story written by Harness and he'll just make everything worse.

• Locked thread