Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Magic Hate Ball posted:

It always puts me on edge when someone says the bullying in movies like this (or Stand by Me) is cartoonish and over-the-top, which really only tells me that they've never been bullied.

Agree 1,000%

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
I sort of liked how comically obese the mom was, it was so clearly a fat suit that it went beyond being an annoying gag (King has a weird relationship with fat people) and became kind of threatening in a way I can only describe as scary in a cloying, syrupy way - theatrical, fake, and fraudulent, which makes it seem bigger than life.

Popular Human
Jul 17, 2005

and if it's a lie, terrorists made me say it
Yeah, that was great, and I'm glad they made it just as uncomfortable as the book. There's a moment during the these are GAZEBOS! scene when she gets the same look in her eyes as Pennywise and I thought some horrible poo poo was going to happen.

I loved the addition of the flute lady. When I was a kid, my parents had this weird statue of an Indian with a drum that used to freak me out - I'd hear random noises in the house and convince myself it was HIM, drumming on his creepy drum. The instant I figured out what was going on with the painting, I got the kind of chill down my spine I haven't had since I was like seven years old.

Movie was awesome.

hathfallen
Dec 22, 2003

Magic Hate Ball posted:

I sort of liked how comically obese the mom was, it was so clearly a fat suit that it went beyond being an annoying gag (King has a weird relationship with fat people) and became kind of threatening in a way I can only describe as scary in a cloying, syrupy way - theatrical, fake, and fraudulent, which makes it seem bigger than life.

Yeah that's a detail I thought this movie really got right, how uncanny all the grown-ups were. Because they are essentially part of the monster.

Another neat detail: whenever you see the kid's show on TV, it's the adults who are watching it (Bev's dad, Henry's dad.) The show is really for them.

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

I'M BACK AND I'M SCARIN' WHITE FOLKS

Punch Drunk Drewsky posted:

Been about five months since I last posted here on anything movie-related.

It traumatized me. That may be the wrong word, but my wife was scared because I was barely able to get myself together due to one scene where the violence was almost copied and pasted from personal trauma. Got home and wrote my piece to do my best to explain why.

I'm not watching this again and I legit don't know if I'll be up for chapter 2.

This review was legit. You got a twitter or something I can follow?

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Huzanko posted:

What made this stop? Columbine?

I think it's coming back again to some degree with stuff like Five Nights at Freddies which has like an entire aisle to its self in Target now and is heavily marketed at children.

Magic Hate Ball posted:

I got the same thing about all the monsters and figured it was all intentional. People complain about bad CGI but my take on it was that it wasn't supposed to be believably realistic horrible monsters. They were things kids were afraid of. A kid wasn't going to imagine a perfectly realistic leper or a realistic version of that painting woman.

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

I'M BACK AND I'M SCARIN' WHITE FOLKS

hathfallen posted:

Yeah that's a detail I thought this movie really got right, how uncanny all the grown-ups were. Because they are essentially part of the monster.

Another neat detail: whenever you see the kid's show on TV, it's the adults who are watching it (Bev's dad, Henry's dad.) The show is really for them.

You can see a little bit of Pennywise in every grown up, its perfect in that aspect.

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

hathfallen posted:

Yeah in Bev's case she's not even aware the tv is on or what's playing.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Nuebot posted:

I got the same thing about all the monsters and figured it was all intentional. People complain about bad CGI but my take on it was that it wasn't supposed to be believably realistic horrible monsters. They were things kids were afraid of. A kid wasn't going to imagine a perfectly realistic leper or a realistic version of that painting woman.

they didn't purposely make the cgi not look good.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Nuebot posted:

I didn't notice any bad CGI, what parts are people talking about?

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

I'll admit, having a full on internal view of Beverleys vagina during the child gangbang scene was controversial but it was also extremely powerful

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Magic Hate Ball posted:

I didn't notice any bad CGI, what parts are people talking about?

Any CGI that you notice (even if it's not CGI) is bad CGI

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

the only case i can think of where people bitch about bad cgi where it wasn't cgi is the poorly composited rod puppet from alien3.

Popular Human
Jul 17, 2005

and if it's a lie, terrorists made me say it
There's a lot of (intentionally) bad CGI bits in the new Twin Peaks. It makes the Black Lodge stuff really surreal and off-putting.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
That's only the most repeated example from that transitional period.

The fact is, all the methods of special effects are just meant to get an image on the screen, of something that would be difficult/dangerous/expensive to do for real. A real explosion done with real pyrotechnics still doesn't look real because there's probably too much fire or not enough debris and dust. That motorcycle stunt they tried to do on Deadpool 2 should never have been attempted. Stop motion miniatures always look fake as poo poo because the actors were never in the same space to begin with and they move at 2fps.

CGI is a tool. Singling it out is just being a curmudgeon for curmudgeon's sake.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

the effects that looked bad happened to be cgi. not all of the cgi in the film looked bad (it even goes back and forth in a single scene sometimes - the spider legs looked good the tentacles looked bad). if we were talking about say basket case i'd talk about how lovely the practical effects looked. we are not talking about that movie.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Sep 10, 2017

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE posted:

Any CGI that you notice (even if it's not CGI) is bad CGI

I noticed a lot of CGI, but I enjoyed most of it. I mean, I'll almost always take a clever practical effect over a bland CGI parlor trick (the "floating stack" would've been a neat time for miniatures) if just for the entertaining physicality and unpredictable nature of shooting a live object vs tinkering with a rendered mesh until it's cripplingly perfect, but things like the scary painting lady and Georgie's face changing were excellent uses of CGI.

Popular Human posted:

There's a lot of (intentionally) bad CGI bits in the new Twin Peaks. It makes the Black Lodge stuff really surreal and off-putting.

The effects in Twin Peaks: The Return are stunning.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

When is hollywood going to have the guts to let CGI lepers offer blowjobs to young boys?

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Huzanko posted:

What made this stop? Columbine?

Was it that late? It seems like in the early 90's you started to get that cloying, family-friendly movement with Full House and Saved By the Bell and poo poo. They were also banning cartoon episodes depicting alcohol, smoking and guns around that point. Lotta Looney Tunes you don't see anymore.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Tom Guycot posted:

When is hollywood going to have the guts to let CGI lepers offer blowjobs to young boys?

When is Hollywood going to have the guts to let a real leper give a real blowjob to real boys?

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Generally liked the movie. I wish we had seen more of Pennywise outside of him running towards the camera, twitching, like he's in a 90s horror movie, though. Him changing and morphing was awesome, I wish I had seen more of that.

Big It had me and the bulk of the audience rolling in the aisles, throughout that entire scene. I was either expecting an obscure Dickies song to play, or a cop to come in and pop its giant red nose. And those teeth!

E: Was the fact that It needs kids to be scared to eat them an invention of the movie? I thought It liked scared kids and thought they tasted better scared, but could eat them any way he could get them.

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Sep 10, 2017

wetdela
Oct 13, 2012

I CAME BACK AFTER 2 YEARS OF SILENCE SO I COULD AGGRO POST IN THE UKRAINE-RUSSIA THREAD.
I thought it was pretty boring.

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
This was a great movie in many ways: cinematography, the casting, the humour, but it wasn't scary at all. There were a handful of times where Pennywise shaking and running towards the screen looked like it was made for 3D effects and they looked bizarre in 2D. I think the scariest scene was in the library archives but the whole Neibolt House sequence was creepy, especially Pennywise crawling out of the fridge all mangled. Fortunately this movie made up for the scares in "what the gently caress?" moments.

My audience applauded at Ben kissing Bev and "NOW I'M GOING TO HAVE TO KILL THIS loving CLOWN!" The Losers Club beating the poo poo out of Pennywise was so therapeutic.

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

it stinks

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Das Boo posted:

Was it that late? It seems like in the early 90's you started to get that cloying, family-friendly movement with Full House and Saved By the Bell and poo poo. They were also banning cartoon episodes depicting alcohol, smoking and guns around that point. Lotta Looney Tunes you don't see anymore.

They were selling Terminator and Alien and Predator toys throughout the 90s.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

I loved this but I wish his eyes were looking at the camera, it's much less creepy that they roll up and away

Punch Drunk Drewsky
Jul 22, 2008

No one can stop the movies.

Lil Mama Im Sorry posted:

This review was legit. You got a twitter or something I can follow?

Thank you. There's a plethora of options, my Twitter @cantstopdrew, Facebook page for Can't Stop the Movies, and my Patreon where I post extra stuff.

I also cohost / edit / produce a podcast called Changing Reels.

Worked at an insurance company for about a decade and when I realized that was killing me I've started to try and make a living off of this. Extra eyes are always welcome.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

For real though, this movie is a fine adventure comedy, but it totally fails as a horror movie.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

All I ask for a Horror movie to be is to be entertaining. If you're expecting to be scared past the age of 12 then I don't know what's up with you.
That being said, some creepy poo poo in this movie. The slideshow scene was amazing. That was real insane to see.

Also I just got to my hotel and the original IT started a bit ago so, gonna watch that I guess.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Hell, same.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Oh my god this is like something I'd watch in High School on a day when the teacher didn't want to do poo poo.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Lil Mama Im Sorry posted:

You can see a little bit of Pennywise in every grown up, its perfect in that aspect.

There's a lot of match cuts to adults wearing the same sour half smile, both bullies are fair-haired with pale skin, glasses on adults slightly magnifying their eyes, bulbous, vascular heads, they all look sorta clammy and unpleasant. It's pretty creepy when you notice it.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I love how this scene was a homage to the Origins of IT

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Magic Hate Ball posted:

King is super weird about fat people but hilariously IIRC the guy in Thinner is like 285. That all you got, Steve,?

Good point keep talkin
Sep 14, 2011

CelticPredator posted:

Oh my god this is like something I'd watch in High School on a day when the teacher didn't want to do poo poo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BUYM0J5fS9s

*gets pushed over* oh gently caress guys run!!!

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe

CelticPredator posted:

All I ask for a Horror movie to be is to be entertaining. If you're expecting to be scared past the age of 12 then I don't know what's up with you.
That being said, some creepy poo poo in this movie. The slideshow scene was amazing. That was real insane to see.

Also I just got to my hotel and the original IT started a bit ago so, gonna watch that I guess.

I'm a bit of a pansy when it comes to horror movies so the scares did actually land for me. I'm just glad there was more to this uncanny ride of kids fighting a cosmic horror than the usual spooks even if those spooks really did land for me. I loved how this version of Pennywise is just wrong on so many levels from the anachronistic costume to the painful looking smile he wears talking to Georgie.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

I think Amy Adams could be a good adult Bev, Colin Hanks would be a good adult Bill, and David Costabile would be a good adult Stan. Not sure about the rest. Any suggestions?

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

The Berzerker posted:

I think Amy Adams could be a good adult Bev, Colin Hanks would be a good adult Bill, and David Costabile would be a good adult Stan. Not sure about the rest. Any suggestions?

Seth Green as adult richie :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

The Berzerker posted:

Any suggestions?

Bev's actress wants Jessica Chastain as Adult Bev, and I really think that'd work.

• Locked thread