Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~

Unsane posted:

Just put the Ford racing borla exhaust on my FoST. this thing seems abnormally loud. It builds good pressure when I block the tips, so my first thought of a leak is out. It seems really out of line for an exhaust that most people online say that you'll want to pull the resonator cause its so quiet. Has good clearance, so I doubt its transferring sound through the floor. Figured it would be about the same as my ZX2 Ford racing borla, but its nowhere near that.

Do you still have the sound symposer? They can transfer drone and vibration sounds from aftermarket parts into the cabin and it can be pretty loud. Im not sure about the FoST, but on the FiST you can use a $3 expanding cap to seal the opening to the cold side pipe where the symposer connects.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
Sucks on the rs, my 5.3 lsx swapped s10 blazer had same thing on the heads after 40k miles. Mine would blow a pinhole compression of air bubbles into the coolant slowly pushing coolant out the overflow tank.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

KidDynamite posted:

Did a leak down test today and cylinders 2&4 are leaking 20% at 70psi.

:negative:

I was going to complain that I missed my track day because I hosed up swapping calipers/ bleeding my brakes and got air in the abs system....but never mind. Sorry man, hope Ford fixes it as the obvious defect it is.

Unsane
Jul 16, 2003

PaintVagrant posted:

Do you still have the sound symposer? They can transfer drone and vibration sounds from aftermarket parts into the cabin and it can be pretty loud. Im not sure about the FoST, but on the FiST you can use a $3 expanding cap to seal the opening to the cold side pipe where the symposer connects.
I pulled the symposer off awhile ago. Got it back in the shop today and found a weld that was leaking pretty badly. So the sound was getting blasted back towards the cabin. Gong to call and see about warranty.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Huge_Midget posted:

You losing coolant?

Oddly enough no. I may have hosed up getting each cylinder to top dead center so going to do it again with a friend that can make sure I'm doing it right.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
e : nevermind

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
The RS pushes 70 psi?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

veedubfreak posted:

The RS pushes 70 psi?

wot. He's talking about doing a leakdown test. You pull a spark plug out, turn the piston to TDC (the valves are all closed), then you pressurize the cylinder with compressed air and see how much pressure leaks out over a minute.
You can determine where the pressure is leaking from during this, also. Out the exhaust is exhaust valves, intake is intake valves, bubbles in the coolant is into the water jacket or headgasket, into the crankcase is rings. There are other possibilities, but those were the quick basics.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

BlackMK4 posted:

wot. He's talking about doing a leakdown test. You pull a spark plug out, turn the piston to TDC (the valves are all closed), then you pressurize the cylinder with compressed air and see how much pressure leaks out over a minute.
You can determine where the pressure is leaking from during this, also. Out the exhaust is exhaust valves, intake is intake valves, bubbles in the coolant is into the water jacket or headgasket, into the crankcase is rings. There are other possibilities, but those were the quick basics.

Ok, that makes more sense. Brain fart.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

Went out for a little photo shoot a couple weeks ago in the early AM.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
While I am still shopping BMW 1's, after driving my friend's FiST again I have added that to the potential new car pool.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Rhyno posted:

While I am still shopping BMW 1's, after driving my friend's FiST again I have added that to the potential new car pool.

Ride in one with the Recaros? Heard that changes the space equation in the cabin even more than in the FoST and some people just hate them overall. Seems to be a person-to-person thing whether or not they grate on you.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
His has the Recaros and I don't hate them. The bolsters are a bit odd but I think I'd get used to it. I also lost 40 pounds over the last 6 months so it's become less of an issue.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

FiST recaros break in really nice.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I was nervous about going with the recaros in mine and this thread convinced me to get them anyway. Glad I did as I got used to them quick and can't imagine not having them now. I was also surpised at how many non-car people passengers really like them.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Be careful, I like mine but my fiancee hates the passenger side seat in the FoST. She doesn't mind the driver's side though for whatever reason. I think it's just better broken in.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
I love my Recaros because I don't have to sit anywhere besides the driver's seat

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
How tight is the weave on the Ford Recaros? I loved how they felt in my GLI but man they didn't breathe at all. You'd get hella swamp rear end.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
I have the full leather ones in the ST3 package and they don't breathe very well.

Quite A Tool
Jul 4, 2004

The answer is... 42
My wife was hesitant on the Recaros but heated seats sold her. Now she loves them and always says it was worth it, if only because they make me so happy. Best wife.

My Z had Recaros and I ended up selling it because we moved across the country and we couldn't afford to ship it at the time. I still miss it but the Fiesta helps fill that void.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

veedubfreak posted:

How tight is the weave on the Ford Recaros? I loved how they felt in my GLI but man they didn't breathe at all. You'd get hella swamp rear end.

Fiesta recaros are about half cloth and half leather, no swamp rear end.

100% Dundee
Oct 11, 2004

Quite A Tool posted:

My wife was hesitant on the Recaros but heated seats sold her. Now she loves them and always says it was worth it, if only because they make me so happy. Best wife.

Same thing happened with me essentially. When I first got the car and showed up, she got in and frowned about how tight they were. Now she loves them, especially with the seat heater. My old G35 had seat heaters as well but no where near as effective as the FoST.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

Monkey Fracas posted:

Ride in one with the Recaros? Heard that changes the space equation in the cabin even more than in the FoST and some people just hate them overall. Seems to be a person-to-person thing whether or not they grate on you.

I test drove a Focus ST3 thinking I'd really like the Recaros, and they looked cool. I hated them. I'm 6'1" ~200lbs and felt really pinched, especially in my shoulders/ribcage. Wound up driving 60 miles to get an ST1 and love the base model seats. Seems like most dealers want to stock the ST2/3.

I also really like the button/dial setup on the center console on the ST1 compared to the touch screen FWIW.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

PaintVagrant posted:

Fiesta recaros are about half cloth and half leather, no swamp rear end.

The Recaros in the GLI were cloth too, but the weave was so tight they didn't breathe at all.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

The VW dealer somehow managed to hit my tow hook plate mount hard enough to knock it loose and scratch the bumper. Through the clear and paint entirely, scrapped down into the plastic.

I bring it up and it takes about 20 minutes just for them to acknowledge they did it. Then the only solution they'll do is use some touch up paint.

So now I'm filing with my insurance company after recording the manager confirming they damaged the car. It'll wind up being significantly more all told because I imagine the estimate will respray the whole bumper, along with the rental. At least I'm only out my $100 deductible.

They tried to buy me off with a shirt and hat, along with the touch up paint sticks they offered. Love it.

gently caress. Dealers.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Holy poo poo that's terrible. No loving way is that acceptable.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

The VW dealer somehow managed to hit my tow hook plate mount hard enough to knock it loose and scratch the bumper. Through the clear and paint entirely, scrapped down into the plastic.

I bring it up and it takes about 20 minutes just for them to acknowledge they did it. Then the only solution they'll do is use some touch up paint.

So now I'm filing with my insurance company after recording the manager confirming they damaged the car. It'll wind up being significantly more all told because I imagine the estimate will respray the whole bumper, along with the rental. At least I'm only out my $100 deductible.

They tried to buy me off with a shirt and hat, along with the touch up paint sticks they offered. Love it.

gently caress. Dealers.

Did this happen while in for a service or before you bought it?

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

veedubfreak posted:

Did this happen while in for a service or before you bought it?

Service. I had the 10k covered as part of the deal and figured might as well use it. I'll be doing it myself again going forward.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Service. I had the 10k covered as part of the deal and figured might as well use it. I'll be doing it myself again going forward.

I'd call corporate if you havent already.

I bought my first 3 maintenances, and if they hosed up my bumper, there'd be hell to pay. This is why I always wash my car before taking it in, and then do a walk around when they're done.

veedubfreak fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Sep 10, 2017

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

veedubfreak posted:

I'd call corporate if you havent already.

I bought my first 3 maintenances, and if they hosed up my bumper, there'd be hell to pay. This is why I always wash my car before taking it in, and then do a walk around when they're done.

Good idea.

I talked to the GM when I was there and he was the one who gave me the hat and shirt. Surprised he was there on a Saturday but I did look him up later and seems like he's the actual GM.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
I bought the first 3 maints simply because the 3 year costs enough to justify what I paid. Oil change, brake flush, haldex flush and all the other normal bullshit.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

veedubfreak posted:

I bought the first 3 maints simply because the 3 year costs enough to justify what I paid. Oil change, brake flush, haldex flush and all the other normal bullshit.

I've got a call back scheduled from an RCM (Regional Case Manager) on Monday. Thanks for the advice on calling corporate.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

I've got a call back scheduled from an RCM (Regional Case Manager) on Monday. Thanks for the advice on calling corporate.

Ya, local dealerships are often dicks, calling vwoa gets poo poo done. VW has cracked down a lot on lovely service due to all their recent issues.

Why do you think they always want you to fill out surveys and "please give us 5 stars, anything else is considered bad."

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
Why are people so stupid. From another VW forum.

<quote>Thank you for this post.
The biggest difference for my situation is that my engine will not be coming from the factory where they do in a brief break in period using a Dyno. My car is literally coming from the shop that just did the work. So I'm still hesitant to go WOT and after spending almost 8k I want to be as cautious as possible and make sure I break my car in properly. So I'm driving the car under 3.5krpms for now until 1,500 miles then will change the oil and gradually give the car more and more eventually getting her to redline with some WOT pulls.

In regards to a complete build, he posted a thread about how to break in his new 8000 DOLLAR ENGINE.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

angryhampster posted:

I test drove a Focus ST3 thinking I'd really like the Recaros, and they looked cool. I hated them. I'm 6'1" ~200lbs and felt really pinched, especially in my shoulders/ribcage. Wound up driving 60 miles to get an ST1 and love the base model seats. Seems like most dealers want to stock the ST2/3.

I also really like the button/dial setup on the center console on the ST1 compared to the touch screen FWIW.
This is what worries me about getting an ST. I loved how it felt sitting in them, but I couldn't sit flush against the seat, my shoulders seemed to prevent me from doing that. I also had problems getting up out of the seat, but I think I'd figure it out over time.

Also is there any way to make the seating position for shifting on the fiesta feel better? The focus feels great, but the fiesta felt like I was sitting ontop of the shifter instead of aside it.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.
Before I start ripping this seal off, any ideas if I need to do anything fancy with replacing this? Is it a "Sunroof Glass Rear Seal" for a '17 GTI.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
why are you removing it?

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.
Because it is cracked.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Etrips posted:

Because it is cracked.

If it's a 17 GTI, why isn't the dealer doing it? Warranty that poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
yeah exactly. vw sunroofs are loving terrible and you should let them handle it