Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.
The more I gush about undead build ideas to my friends, the more they start to talk about going undead too. My party is going to end up being four skeletons tactically Solid Snaking their way through areas through Play Dead abuse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Play dead does look pretty useful. I am betting people will find some encounter exploits using that skill.

My plan is just use four of the named characters with no customs though. Probably Red Prince, Fane, Sebelle, and Beast. I figure the more NPC quests and dialogue, the better.

People have apparently mined out all of the skill icons and memory costs. I recognize many of the icons from DoS1, but some are definitely new.
https://imgur.com/a/Iq9aU

Looks like deadly spores is back. Always enjoyed that one in DoS1. Came before the tier 5 skills, but if you could land it on fire it would do serious damage with all of the exploding.

I am torn as to whether or not I am going to have a summon focused character. They seemed a little disappointing in the alpha. I liked summons a lot in the original DoS1 though. My geomancer spiderbro did a lot of work right from the get go.

Filthy Monkey fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Sep 9, 2017

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Zhulik posted:

No, the elf racial is insanely overpowered in the current EA game. Getting every single skill racial passive at once would still not even touch it.

It's a tossup. Elves get all the extra story and skills from corpse eater, and their unique active skill is absurd.

Undead get infinite lock picks, bleed immunity, heal from poison, face stealing, play dead, and immunity to death cloud.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Filthy Monkey posted:

Play dead does look pretty useful. I am betting people will find some encounter exploits using that skill.

My plan is just use four of the named characters with no customs though. Probably Red Prince, Fane, Sebelle, and Beast. I figure the more NPC quests and dialogue, the better.

People have apparently mined out all of the skill icons and memory costs. I recognize many of the icons from DoS1, but some are definitely new.

Looks like deadly spores is back. Always enjoyed that one in DoS1. Came before the tier 5 skills, but if you could land it on fire it would do serious damage with all of the exploding.

I am torn as to whether or not I am going to have a summon focused character. They seemed a little disappointing in the alpha. I liked summons a lot in the original DoS1 though. My geomancer spiderbro did a lot of work right from the get go.

That aerothurge ability of the barrel... that's promising.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Filthy Monkey posted:

Play dead, deadly spores, summoning

Apparently there will be more summons in the other trees. I'm hoping for a skeleton in Necromancy; the goofy boneguy with a cleaver saved our asses so many times in the original game, he deserves a chance to return.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

Filthy Monkey posted:

whats with the diamond in the corner of some of them

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

cuntman.net posted:

whats with the diamond in the corner of some of them

Source skills maybe???

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Schubalts posted:

It's a tossup. Elves get all the extra story and skills from corpse eater, and their unique active skill is absurd.

Undead get infinite lock picks, bleed immunity, heal from poison, face stealing, play dead, and immunity to death cloud.

With my limited 5 hours in the ea, I feel like healing via poison is automatically enough to make undead better in combat on its own. Since poison is pretty easy to set up via environment. Especially useful if the enemy sets you on fire since you can douse it then convert the water to poison to prevent someone from electrocuting you.

Zhulik
Nov 14, 2012

The Montreal Star

Schubalts posted:

I was more specifically referring to the second non-attribute racial passives that can be either +1 bartering/sneaking/persuasion or... Corpse Eater, which is quite the disparity. What's cool is that the undead traits like healing from poison or infinite lockpicks replace the +attributes passive, so undead elves still get Corpse Eater on top of all that.

Someone upthread said they've rebalanced the racials for release, so I'm excited to see how they bridged the gap between getting +1 barter and getting 5+ free spells without meeting requirements.

hangedman1984 posted:

Source skills maybe???

Yes

ScratchAndSniff
Sep 28, 2008

This game stinks

Filthy Monkey posted:

Cool, looks like polymorph gets a "turn into dr. Octopus" spell. Polymorph is the best.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Do the elf meatspells cost memory points to have readied? If their main advantage is just "you dont have to put a point in the skill", that isn't that tremendously overpowered.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
The big complaint isn't really that Elf and Undead racials are overpowered as it is about Lizard/Dwarf/Human racials being underwhelming. Corpse Eater is a unique and interesting mechanic. +1 to Bartering/Sneak/Persuasion is not that interesting.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

The big complaint isn't really that Elf and Undead racials are overpowered as it is about Lizard/Dwarf/Human racials being underwhelming. Corpse Eater is a unique and interesting mechanic. +1 to Bartering/Sneak/Persuasion is not that interesting.

Yeah I would hope more for "Other racial abilities are also awesome" more than "Okay we nerfed X and then made the other stuff slightly less mediocre."

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Lizard's racial bonus of "gets to be an eight foot tall lizardman" is fine. :colbert:

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
The thing about the elves is that their armor aesthetic is lovely leaf clothes that leave you mostly naked even when your wearing plate so I don't think I could really get into playing one.

I remember fairly early in this things development that they were saying everything was fairly poo poo out in the world and racial relations were strained, so playing a Dwarf would get you the stink eye in a human town but the dwarf ghetto below ground would welcome you with open arms and try to enlist you in their schemes to bring down the tall man. I wonder if much of that kinda thing is still in.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

they talked about that in some of the more recent previews too so probably

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
I never finished the first game because I made my team underpowered, and I never played the directors cut either.

Recommendations? How should I build my party? Is there a good quest checklist to follow?

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

In the first game? Summons are helpful meatshields. Charm is extremely useful, both in witchcraft and arrow form. I would suggest at least two full time casters, though you could do fine with all casters if you like. Melee/archery characters are useful, though not necessarily required. Duel wielding, 2h, and archery are all very effective at murderizing single enemies even more quickly than spells once you get some good crafted gear. They do take longer to get going though, and aren't as good at crowd control.

Once you get the tier 5 skills combat is pretty much trivialized, even on the hardest difficulty. Meteor shower, hail attack, arrow spray, and flurry are basically "I win" buttons. I found the game actually got less interesting once they came around. Deadly spores comes around a little earlier, as a tier 4 geomancy, and is a nice taste of power if you can cast it on enemies around an open flame.

Filthy Monkey fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Sep 10, 2017

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Caidin posted:

I remember fairly early in this things development that they were saying everything was fairly poo poo out in the world and racial relations were strained, so playing a Dwarf would get you the stink eye in a human town but the dwarf ghetto below ground would welcome you with open arms and try to enlist you in their schemes to bring down the tall man. I wonder if much of that kinda thing is still in.
What, like a better Dragon Age Origins..?

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
I'm having a lot of trouble getting into this game. Is this a game that will allow you to make a mistake building a character, or do you only get one shot to make a combat optimal build and you're hosed if you deviate from the max dps strategies?

Eddain
May 6, 2007

NeurosisHead posted:

I'm having a lot of trouble getting into this game. Is this a game that will allow you to make a mistake building a character, or do you only get one shot to make a combat optimal build and you're hosed if you deviate from the max dps strategies?

You'd have to purposely go out of your way to pick weird stats and Talents to make the game hard for yourself (if you aren't playing on the higher difficulties). You can cheese fights with line-of-sight breakaways, barrel abuse, grenade spam, scroll spam. You just have to get a feel for where you're supposed to explore first and to squeeze as much non-combat EXP in as possible early on in the town. Being closer to the enemy level makes a huge difference in terms of success. Also don't be afraid to spend gold on new equipment and make sure your weapons are up to date.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
The split screen option this is gonna have looks really interesting. I'm tempted to give the first one a try on the PS4 with my brother, but it's still £35 and he's played it through before on PC. Is it implemented well?

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Split screen and controller layout is probably the best i've seen a RPG like this implemented.

Still a nightmare to craft or organize an inventory with a controller though.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

NeurosisHead posted:

Nah man just about every build is viable. Just think outside the box and use the environment. A lot of spots are even designed to be cheesed, like putting down stuff in the battlefield before the fight starts

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

Can you respec in 2? It sucked having a guy go 2H and then find a 1H weapon that does more damage but not being able to spec into sword and shield.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

kloa posted:

Can you respec in 2? It sucked having a guy go 2H and then find a 1H weapon that does more damage but not being able to spec into sword and shield.

You probably can at some point, but it'll take a while to reach that point, it will be expensive, and it'll probably increase in cost each time you do it. That's how the respec worked in D:OS 1 at least. It's more of a "whoops, I TOTALLY hosed up and spread myself too thin" emergency button, rather than "I want to test drive this new weapon" thing.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
what exactly is the cheese combo with elves / sebelle? I see it referred to but not sure I understand it. Just that the racial talent combines well with Leech?

I AM BRAWW
Jul 18, 2014
tips/must-know before i start this game? never played the first one

I AM BRAWW
Jul 18, 2014
can i have sex in the game

I AM BRAWW
Jul 18, 2014
can i play alone.. mybrain can't manage multiple people sometimes

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

what exactly is the cheese combo with elves / sebelle? I see it referred to but not sure I understand it. Just that the racial talent combines well with Leech?
It looks like it is being nerfed into the ground for release, but it revolves around skin graft, which resets all your cooldowns, especially on skills that give 'free' ap.

1) Blood sacrifice for ap and damage,
2) adrenaline for ap
3) (smack smack kill a thing). Get 2 extra AP from warlord
4) Skin graft to reset all cooldowns
5) Blood sacrifice again
6) Adrenaline again
7) Continue murdering (potentially triggering warlord again) until 1 AP left. Chameleon cloak to hide until next turn.

Skin graft is being changed to a source ability though, and it looks like both adrenaline is getting a nerf. Wouldn't be surprised if blood sacrifice is getting a nerf too. I think warlord is getting hit too.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I AM BRAWW posted:

can i play alone.. mybrain can't manage multiple people sometimes

Yeah, just pretend the second PC is your hot girlfriend.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Phlegmish posted:

Yeah, just pretend the second PC is your hot girlfriend.

Something you could fully do in DOS1, since both of the main characters talked to each other, complete with possible romance ending.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

NeurosisHead posted:

DOS1 and this game are challenging, but you can basically do anything; especially since in 2 you're guaranteed a party of 4. The bad balance is less "you need to do this one specific thing or you're hosed" and more "you can totally break this game over your knee, like killing a level 20 dragon at level 4, if you do a specific setup."

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
What do you guys feel is better this time compared to the first one?

I played the first one but didn't beat it (very long game for a turn based rpg). Still had a ton of fun with it.

NeurosisHead posted:

At least in my experience with the first one, you are supposed to multiclass. Having access to tons of different tools and strategical approaches is way more important than raw DPS. Make sure your melee chars, even your tanks have level 1 spells that can affect terrain so they can cast it while outside of melee range. You could cheese most of the first game with level 1 spells if you're smart enough. You also can go through most of the game only killing enemies with the terrain.The smoky fire (oil+fire) completely broke the AI, since it negated almost all of their ranged attacks and made enemies wade through the fire and reach you almost dead and one at a time.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

I'm already a fan of the comparatively low AP cap. 6 doesn't feel like a lot, but it also means turns don't go on for nearly as long as they did in the first game.

Also, Madora's been dead for over a thousand years by this point, which is a definite improvement.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
One problem I had with the first one was that melee chars were kinda situational. The melee char in my party was fully specced to be as tankish as possible, disregarding all damage output in favor of survivability. She still did lots of work casting level 1 spells, but the melee combat itself wasn't that worth it. Did they make it better? In this video showcasing the combat it's hilarious to me that the melee tank does poo poo all and the one combat skill he casts is a ranged one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ga6uJaGyrEk

Also, how will the release date work? Can you already play the full version on early access? If you start playing on the early access version, can you keep your progress on the final version?

nerdz fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Sep 10, 2017

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

NeurosisHead posted:

I can understand the questions and concerns, given how much of a mixed message "You don't need optimal play, you just need to abuse and cheese everything :science:" being the most common response is.

Which leads me back to my own thoughts.

nerdz posted:

One problem I had with the first one was that melee chars were kinda situational. The melee char in my party was fully specced to be as tankish as possible, disregarding all damage output in favor of survivability. She still did lots of work casting level 1 spells, but the melee combat itself wasn't that worth it. Did they make it better? In this video showcasing the combat it's hilarious to me that the melee tank does poo poo all and the one combat skill he casts is a ranged one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ga6uJaGyrEk

That it's a whole lot of "Oh it's no problem*" and it's all based around how much you spam every special effect possible, because just trying to make your Knight be a Knight can just :fuckoff: , but you're assured combat is still easy because look, the wizard teleported a dude into lava!

Though this could work out for the best with my indecisive mindset. Where 'but I want to cram a couple spells onto my fight mans for funsies' is actually the expectation rather than me doing something wrong. But still leaves the wonder of how much your actual fight man stuff matters beyond being a better decoy.

I mean, even in trailers trying to show off how awesome everyone is. Cloak+Teleport rogue backstabs do gently caress all to witches. So if that's them doing WELL, what's their normal gameplay like? Not going to be anywhere near bad obviously, but probably not as straightforward as hoped even if you make them the best person stabber in all the land.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Sep 10, 2017

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Section Z posted:

I can understand the questions and concerns, given how much of a mixed message "You don't need optimal play, you just need to abuse and cheese everything :science:" being the most common response is.

for what it's worth me and my friend cleared most of the EA content on classic doing mostly standard fighting with not much cheesing. We always fought at the same level of the enemies and the one or two instances of cheese we did it was against completely uneven circumstances that we weren't level wise ready for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Section Z posted:

I mean, even in trailers trying to show off how awesome everyone is. Cloak+Teleport rogue backstabs do gently caress all to witches. So if that's them doing WELL, what's their normal gameplay like? Not going to be anywhere near bad obviously, but probably not as straightforward as hoped even if you make them the best person stabber in all the land.

I had a dude fully focused on being a melee rogue, and he struggled a lot. Then I gave him a bow and with zero bow skills he suddenly became the MVP of the party due to all the special arrows I had stockpiled.