Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

Larrymer posted:

If it's a 17 GTI, why isn't the dealer doing it? Warranty that poo poo.

Because technically I'm pretty sure I / the guys that installed my vinyl ended up cracking it. But I have no real way of proving that so...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
let the dealership figure that out

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
I wouldn't gently caress with anything that VW puts in place to get the car to not leak water. You probably don't know the correct spells and incantations.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
I've had a sunroof in every car I've ever owned. So glad it wasn't an option for the R, since everyone seems to have issues with theirs.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Sold my e46 and it's time for aftermarket wheels on my GTI

which color looks better? 2017 gti in white

edit fixed links

OBAMNA PHONE fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Sep 11, 2017

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

I always have loved gunmetal on white. But pretty much any color works with white, so that's a plus.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
optionally i could plasti dip them since they would be new they would be very easy to paint

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

I'd go for the brighter color. Are you getting new tires as well? The tire rack package to mount balance is super nice. Bolt off/bolt on.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
Any FiST owners have any input on brakes? Mine are at the end of their lives and I'd like to go a bit more performance oriented than OEM but I'm not taking it to track days all the time. I probably will do a track day or autoX at some point, but aggressive back road driving is the hardest they usually get worked. Brake dust doesn't really bother me, noise under normal street driving conditions would be bad.

I'll be doing pads and rotors for sure and while I'm not planning to I could be convinced to do fluid.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

BraveUlysses posted:

Sold my e46 and it's time for aftermarket wheels on my GTI

which color looks better? 2017 gti in white

edit fixed links

Does the GTI offset have that face?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

I'd go for the brighter color. Are you getting new tires as well? The tire rack package to mount balance is super nice. Bolt off/bolt on.

i've got a set of Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ that were on my e46 with only 1-2k miles on them and i'll remove them and put them on the new wheels.

BlackMK4 posted:

Does the GTI offset have that face?

pretty sure yeah, i'm looking at getting 17x8 size

they look the same in these pics i found:

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?8625745-Konig-Hypergrams-OEM-GTI-Wheels

JollyPubJerk
Nov 10, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I like gunmetal better on a white car.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Heard back from VW corporate after a long time with reps. Apparently the RCM had my phone number as basically all 5s and a 2, which should have probably made any normal person realize it wasn't a real number. I'm guessing this is some junk number the dealer put in when setting up my file. Anyway, they call this number and surprise, it doesn't work. They don't call my cell, which they have, or send an email, which they also have.

Because the dealer offered a paint touch up stick, VW corporate considers it a workmanship issue and won't do anything further. I didn't hold out high hopes but how they can consider it a workmanship issue when the repair the dealer is offering is not reasonable is baffling.

Looks like I'll be sticking with my plan to go through insurance. Part of me wants to take it to small claims court just so I can wave the judgment in the GMs face.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

Heard back from VW corporate after a long time with reps. Apparently the RCM had my phone number as basically all 5s and a 2, which should have probably made any normal person realize it wasn't a real number. I'm guessing this is some junk number the dealer put in when setting up my file. Anyway, they call this number and surprise, it doesn't work. They don't call my cell, which they have, or send an email, which they also have.

Because the dealer offered a paint touch up stick, VW corporate considers it a workmanship issue and won't do anything further. I didn't hold out high hopes but how they can consider it a workmanship issue when the repair the dealer is offering is not reasonable is baffling.

Looks like I'll be sticking with my plan to go through insurance. Part of me wants to take it to small claims court just so I can wave the judgment in the GMs face.

Your insurance might go after the dealership depending on what it costs them to fix.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

veedubfreak posted:

Your insurance might go after the dealership depending on what it costs them to fix.

Yeah for sure. I'll be out the $100 comp deductible for now. The repair time itself will be tiny, it's just the associated labor for dropping the bumper and respraying it that will add up. Oh well, I gave them several chances to make it right.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008
If you take them to small claims court, you can ask for reimbursement for your time if you had to take a day/partial day(s) off work to deal with the situation.

But that's really lovely that VWOA basically said there was nothing they could do.

A Loud Fart
Sep 9, 2011
I bought a thing:

It turns out, this thing is as good as the reviews say it is. I took it into the foothills this weekend and there's power in every gear, uphill, and you're just a downshift away from blowing by traffic. Pretty sweet for a 1.6.

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
Got my 17x9 wheels and 235 40 17 federal 595 rsrr's in. 8 5/8" tread vs 8" on the kumho v720 225 40 18 on 18 x 7.5. Pinched tires, not even once.

Hansolio
Nov 4, 2009

I W A N T M Y M T V

A Loud Fart posted:

I bought a thing:

It turns out, this thing is as good as the reviews say it is. I took it into the foothills this weekend and there's power in every gear, uphill, and you're just a downshift away from blowing by traffic. Pretty sweet for a 1.6.

Hey, we're twins. If that's new get ready to replace your tires and brakes before 30k and enjoy every second of driving it.

A Loud Fart
Sep 9, 2011

Hansolio posted:

Hey, we're twins. If that's new get ready to replace your tires and brakes before 30k and enjoy every second of driving it.

I'm trying to restrain myself, but the car just wants to go and it's so fun to play with. It's a new 17', 38 miles when I took delivery. To do list is pulling the fuse for the sound symposer, removing the dealer badge, and detailing the car. Winter wheels and tires, and a car cover are at the top of the needs list.
I can live with the tires lasting 30k, but does installing the slip differential give the front brakes a longer lifespan? Ford's system is pretty drat good, until you notice all the brake dust on the left front wheel and wonder how long you have till the pads need replacement.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

A Loud Fart posted:

I'm trying to restrain myself, but the car just wants to go and it's so fun to play with. It's a new 17', 38 miles when I took delivery. To do list is pulling the fuse for the sound symposer, removing the dealer badge, and detailing the car. Winter wheels and tires, and a car cover are at the top of the needs list.
I can live with the tires lasting 30k, but does installing the slip differential give the front brakes a longer lifespan? Ford's system is pretty drat good, until you notice all the brake dust on the left front wheel and wonder how long you have till the pads need replacement.

Do yourself a favor and get a ceramic coating on that!

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
I don't believe the sound symposer has a fuse. It's purely mechanical, pressure in the cold side pipe opens a membrane or something in the plastic box, then sends kazoo noises into the cabin via a plastic tube. I "deleted" mine with a $3 expanding plug in the cold pipe, then reinstalled it so it looked stock.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

PaintVagrant posted:

I don't believe the sound symposer has a fuse. It's purely mechanical, pressure in the cold side pipe opens a membrane or something in the plastic box, then sends kazoo noises into the cabin via a plastic tube. I "deleted" mine with a $3 expanding plug in the cold pipe, then reinstalled it so it looked stock.

Yep you can also just wad a sock, paper towel, shop rag, pretty much anything. I did that at first but discovered most of that cool growly sound I liked was the symposer so I put it back to normal and now embrace the faked noise.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
I still don't get the "fake" claims. It's not like it's BMW's system playing literally synthesized engine noise through the speakers. It's real engine noise being routed through tubes designed to do nothing more than make it sound better.

:downs: "But I want to hear my engine without any tuned pipes changing its sound!" *goes and buys catback exhaust*

Also I wouldn't even mind the systems that use the speakers if they all worked like the Renault Clio where you can make it sound like a different car for fun.

100% Dundee
Oct 11, 2004
For me it wasn't a case of it sounding or being "fake" in my FoST, more so just a case of it sounding lovely. Like if someone was yelling to you from across the room vs them yelling to you from across the room while holding a long plastic tube to their mouth.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
Faked noise would be better than fake noise. The ford sound symposer works by passing air over a membrane in a tube and the "engine noise" you hear through the symposer is actually the vibration of the membrane. Volkswagen does something similar, there is a device that vibrates against the upper part of the firewall in time with the engine RPMs to create a faked engine sound.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
As soon as you tune your car or add any NVH, it just becomes a mechanism to transmit unwanted racket into the car. Exhausts, rear motor mount, etc.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

100% Dundee posted:

For me it wasn't a case of it sounding or being "fake" in my FoST, more so just a case of it sounding lovely. Like if someone was yelling to you from across the room vs them yelling to you from across the room while holding a long plastic tube to their mouth.

And that's fine, I'm not entirely sure I like it either, I keep meaning to try doing the cheap plug thing because it was a definite improvement in my friend's GTI. I just get annoyed at people lumping the systems based on real air moved by the pistons making noises in with the systems based on electronics. One is real, the other's fake, whether either is good is subjective.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I actually kind of wish the RS had one. Everyone else can hear the cool sounds my car makes except me. :(

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

KillHour posted:

I actually kind of wish the RS had one. Everyone else can hear the cool sounds my car makes except me. :(

Let me blow your mind. Know those buttons on the door? They open the windows.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

veedubfreak posted:

Let me blow your mind. Know those buttons on the door? They open the windows.

I don't know if the tailpipes on the Golf point at the driver's side window, but I assure you the ones on the Focus do not.

Huge_Midget
Jun 6, 2002

I don't like the look of it...

KillHour posted:

Unplug your FENG if you haven't already. Also, an aftermarket air filter does wonders for hearing turbo spool and induction noise.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
Hey Guys, sorry in advance as I'm not really an experienced car guy- I love driving cars and appreciate the finer qualities of a nice ride but I don't get into specifics too much.

Anyways I might be starting up a new commute in the next few months- about 40-55 minutes average time each way, over a large hill/small mountain.

I currently drive a VW E-Golf, which is actually an underrated, fun ride but would obviously be poo poo on this commute, especially because I can't guarantee having access to a charger unless I get really lucky with where I end up working.

So I was thinking of getting a GTI. Right now my research is suggesting that a 2016 GTI SE would be a good choice, hopefully with however many upgrades I could get on it... except sunroofs, they are stupid and my last Acura had a sunroof that gave me nothing but fuckin' trouble.

Money is not really that important. I mean, it is insofar as money is always important, but there's some definite wiggle room here. I could even possibly be convinced to go up to a Golf R if it would really be super fun and worth it, but much of my research has shown that it's not worth the premium.

Anyways, what do y'all think about this?

I could also be convinced to get another kind of car if it makes more sense. I'm just biased towards VW because my current MK7 Golf fits me like a glove with a great interior.

Mr-Spain
Aug 27, 2003

Bullshit... you can be mine.
I must be the only person that hasn't had any trouble with a sunroof. I've had 3 of the things, even on an old e30 BMW and they were fine.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Taima posted:

I could also be convinced to get another kind of car if it makes more sense. I'm just biased towards VW because my current MK7 Golf fits me like a glove with a great interior.
Sounds like you'd really be a happy person if the Golf GTE was sold in the US.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p9LZNQBfm9U

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Taima posted:

Hey Guys, sorry in advance as I'm not really an experienced car guy- I love driving cars and appreciate the finer qualities of a nice ride but I don't get into specifics too much.

Anyways I might be starting up a new commute in the next few months- about 40-55 minutes average time each way, over a large hill/small mountain.

I currently drive a VW E-Golf, which is actually an underrated, fun ride but would obviously be poo poo on this commute, especially because I can't guarantee having access to a charger unless I get really lucky with where I end up working.

So I was thinking of getting a GTI. Right now my research is suggesting that a 2016 GTI SE would be a good choice, hopefully with however many upgrades I could get on it... except sunroofs, they are stupid and my last Acura had a sunroof that gave me nothing but fuckin' trouble.

Money is not really that important. I mean, it is insofar as money is always important, but there's some definite wiggle room here. I could even possibly be convinced to go up to a Golf R if it would really be super fun and worth it, but much of my research has shown that it's not worth the premium.

Anyways, what do y'all think about this?

How much traffic is there? Do you want automatic or manual? As much as I love my RS, I think I would shoot myself if I had a 1 hour commute unless there was no traffic and the roads were really fun. My advice is to test drive everything in the segment that you think might potentially fit. Pay attention to the seats and the sitting position / ergonomics. If you're considering leasing, Golf R money puts you in Audi and BMW territory so you may as well look there too.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
you can still find 17 sport models on the lot and they're fairly cheap if you're on the east coast

they have perf package, lighting package, and no dumb as poo poo sunroof

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Mr-Spain posted:

I must be the only person that hasn't had any trouble with a sunroof. I've had 3 of the things, even on an old e30 BMW and they were fine.

No, its an issue with the current generation VAG sunroofs. Then use this silly plastic roof piece that loves to break.

minstrels
Nov 15, 2009
Leon Cupra gets my vote!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

KillHour posted:

How much traffic is there? Do you want automatic or manual? As much as I love my RS, I think I would shoot myself if I had a 1 hour commute unless there was no traffic and the roads were really fun. My advice is to test drive everything in the segment that you think might potentially fit. Pay attention to the seats and the sitting position / ergonomics. If you're considering leasing, Golf R money puts you in Audi and BMW territory so you may as well look there too.

I'll never understand the complaints people have with manuals and commuting, especially in a car with a stock clutch.