Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

TenCentFang posted:

Hey hey, I like Kyoryuger a lot. Kyoryuger is good. Kyoryuger is outside my previous statement.

Sorry, I didn't mean to imply you didn't like Kyoryuger, I just had to include it to make my 'forget about Ninninger' joke. As if anybody is at risk of fondly remembering Ninninger.

As for Kyuranger, while I find it very enjoyable and look forward to watching it every week, I think the cast is too big and not balanced well enough to be as good as some of the previous shows unless they really nail the second half. Plus the plot doesn't have a solid hook yet, I'm invested in Balance and Naga but Don Armage as a passive and faceless big bad doesn't inspire much compared to front and center, active villains like Schwartz->Z or Genis.

I think Zyuohger was genuinely good though, but that's probably moreso because I loved the main cast and some of the villains than because of any pinpointable moments of quality writing. The 'connection' theme was done well throughout though and was worth all the build-up for that fantastic moment when Yamato puts it all together that his dad wasn't there for his dying mother because he was taking care of Bud/Bard who in turn was able to save his life later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Hemingway To Go! posted:

simpler more colorful toys that don't have complicated combinations for younger kids who like such things

see zyuohger. literally animal blocks.
you stack them and the robot is basically a drawing on one side. uncomplicated and colorful.

Also somehow equally or more expensive than previous, more complex toys from just a few years prior

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
I suspect the declining birth rates in Japan have a lot to do with it. There are fewer children, so in order to maintain their bottom line, companies need to get more from them. More toys to sell, sell them for more money, and hope that their parents doting on them is enough to offset things. You can't just sell The Belt any more. You need The Belt, and All Thirty Collectables, and then The New Belt Add-On, oh and here's some New Collectables, and the bad guy has his own set of Collectables, and this one you can only get by seeing the movie, and this one you can only get by coming to our special event. Etc. etc. etc.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Production costs and cost of materials are also up, which means even if toys are simpler they're going to cost the same or even more.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it's a slowly dying industry, unfortunately.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

They future may well be in seinen toku like Garo, just because that's where the demographic is going.

Edit: Ultraman will probably be forever, though. The benefits of being a family show instead of a kids' show.

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!

Dj Meow Mix posted:

Episode after he slaughtered a ton of folks including Kanou, who was one of my favorites

If this is the point where he starts to become bearable idk if the half season beforehand was worth it

He never becomes likable, redeemed or anything but a monster and I'm glad he and Iyu both died horribly. S2 of Amazons was... not great. It did whiz a lot of the goodwill that S1 generated for me.

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

Cricken_Nigfops posted:

He never becomes likable, redeemed or anything but a monster and I'm glad he and Iyu both died horribly. S2 of Amazons was... not great. It did whiz a lot of the goodwill that S1 generated for me.

I couldn't sleep last night so I wrapped it up. I agree. Show didn't even let me watch Alpha/Omega finish the job. Shame

On a more positive note though, Build is looking like it will be a lot of fun.

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!

Dj Meow Mix posted:

I couldn't sleep last night so I wrapped it up. I agree. Show didn't even let me watch Alpha/Omega finish the job. Shame

On a more positive note though, Build is looking like it will be a lot of fun.

Agreed, Build has me invested already, hopefully it'll keep the momentum going.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Craptacular! posted:

It certainly is for me. I am a child-at-heart almost to the point of being a problem. Like my level in cruise ships tanked when I realized a single adult man on a Disney cruise ship would be looked at a little sketchy compared to Royal Caribbean or something. I probably would want to be a kid forever if I could.

Get a girlfriend first, and Secure That Relationship by inviting her on a Disney Cruise. I think going on a cruise by yourself would be awkward no matter which boat you were on, unless it's explicitly a singles cruise.

Anyway, I am here for Don Armage's costume design, holy poo poo. He's giving off powerful Lord Zedd vibes, and I want to get exposition about whether he ended up as a horrible brain demon by accident, or did it on purpose to test his ability.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

SpazmasterX posted:

Then why do Sentai toys keep getting shittier instead of better

Cheaply made toys make more money than better made toys, all things being equal.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Schwarzwald posted:

Cheaply made toys make more money than better made toys, all things being equal.

Essentially the sliding quality of modern toys continues to be the fault of children.

Good thing I still have Legacy toys. And Transformers still markets separate toylines for young children, and adult collectors. :20bux::20bux::negative::20bux::20bux:

SpazmasterX fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Sep 11, 2017

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

PMush Perfect posted:

They future may well be in seinen toku like Garo, just because that's where the demographic is going.

Edit: Ultraman will probably be forever, though. The benefits of being a family show instead of a kids' show.

... Ten year olds and younger are watching Garo? Really?

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

TFRazorsaw posted:

... Ten year olds and younger are watching Garo? Really?

TFR

Okay let me put it this way.

Japan has a declining birth rate. That means that there are less children.

Meaning the children they have will grow up, and the ones that stick with Toku will move onto older series.

So what PM meant was the children will grow up into teens and Garo will be entirely up their alley since Garo is a late night series. That is the trajectory of the current demographic as they age.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

That makes sense, but I don't think that necessarily means the kids that do exist are going to be abandoned. These franchises may take another form or change even more significantly, but I can't see a future where entertainment for kids is entirely abandoned.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

TFRazorsaw posted:

That makes sense, but I don't think that necessarily means the kids that do exist are going to be abandoned. These franchises may take another form or change even more significantly, but I can't see a future where entertainment for kids is entirely abandoned.

Well no, but when the demographic for older toku swells, the quality on toku for younger kids is going to shrink accordingly.

As we've discussed, this may be part of the reason for why Sentai is less adult friendly than it has been in the past.

Like, usually you could slot Sentai somewhere in a Shonen style, but as of late it's skewing even younger than that.

This happened with Metal Heroes and it was not a pleasant end to the franchise.

As an add on- had to do some personal writing on my own nonsense of late, but the rest of Sentai's long history will be recounted to you by me soon enough.

God help your souls.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

For all its difficulties, I think Sentai has more staying power than Metal Heroes. It's got a few more years left in it, at least, and if it gets cancelled anytime soon, I think there'd be some kind of revival before long. Whether it's still a kids' focused property, maybe, maybe not, but who knows.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

TFRazorsaw posted:

For all its difficulties, I think Sentai has more staying power than Metal Heroes. It's got a few more years left in it, at least.

Well I mean

The fact that one ran out of steam after only barely 20+ years, while the other is nearing 40, kinda points to that being the case.

What I more so meant was that Metal Hero started skewing younger and younger as well, until in the end it was basically

That.

If Sentai ever gets to the stage where the robots are ultra cute mascots that become super rounded off baby toy robots, panic. Panic hard.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
this thing where they always have a new sentai and kr going will probably go long before the franchises themselves die, and even then there are always revivals.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

And then Saban will try to coast for a few years on MMPR before shriveling up and dying because they have nothing else.

That, or...

MYSTIC KNIGHTS OF TIR NA NOG REBOOOOOT

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

some would make accusations that Sentai already reached that point at some part of its lifespan, but I digress. Either way, the market of the 90's isn't the same as the market of 2017 so who knows what'll happen.

I also imagine the partnership with Saban is helping keep it going, especially now that the american team is giving input on designs. And they count money made by PR when posting about Super Sentai's annual and quarterly revenue.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Waffleman_ posted:

MYSTIC KNIGHTS OF TIR NA NOG REBOOOOOT

We had this, it was called Power Rangers Mystic Force.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: The Newer Mutation

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Burkion posted:

If Sentai ever gets to the stage where the robots are ultra cute mascots that become super rounded off baby toy robots, panic. Panic hard.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I guess my problem is, there's no room for anything grim. There's no room for anything too scary.

When I watched PR's early years, I was aware that Rita was actually called Bandora and that the green ranger died (one episode used too much footage and you can clearly see an Asian man's eyes in Tommy's visor while he struggles on the ground). But that was it. I don't think it was until Zeo and I read about Ohranger that I learned the crazy poo poo that goes into Sentai sometimes. All we had until that point was a lovely Tommy/Zedd battle that went nowhere, so it was crazy to read that the rangers just murder Mondo with their robot and the subsequent drama going all the way to Bulldont meeting the same fate.

PR eventually adapted that stuff, and it broke a little new territory for PR, but obviously there were re-writes to soften the focus of death and loss that was felt on the enemy team. That said, both Zeo and the Japanese recaps I read also insulated me from some of the campy less-than-serious visuals in that show, such as the robots doing dance aerobics in one episode.

And even when I did eventually watch Sentai, I watched the seasons immediately after Gaoranger and they dealt with stuff like, "Red's been poisoned with a toxin and will die in 12 hours!" or even "Abarekiller is a psychopath who enjoys hurting people because he sees it as a game and he's got the cheat code" and I just can't see them, at least as Kyuranger is constructed, touching on topics such as these. But, Kamen Rider just had a season full of this since these two plot lines were regular beats with Game Illness, Parado, Chronicle, etc.

deadly_pudding posted:

Get a girlfriend first, and Secure That Relationship by inviting her on a Disney Cruise.

I'm content as a gay single for now, and just went to Princess or something. I just wanted to see the Alaskan ice cliffs from what is basically a floating Vegas hotel with free food. Especially since I have no idea how much longer those large natural ice formations are going to be around.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Sep 11, 2017

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Craptacular! posted:

And even when I did eventually watch Sentai, I watched the seasons immediately after Gaoranger and they dealt with stuff like, "Red's been poisoned with a toxin and will die in 12 hours!" or even "Abarekiller is a psychopath who enjoys hurting people because he sees it as a game and he's got the cheat code" and I just can't see them, at least as Kyuranger is constructed, touching on topics such as these.

Stinger's brother committed genocide of their race just because he wanted to be more powerful, and he destroys Champ shortly after trying to kill Stinger (though Champ is a robot so they were able to rebuild him of course).

I'm not saying Kyuranger is gritty or serious or anything, it's not, but if your bar for grim and scary is "a person gets poisoned and will die" or "a villain likes hurting/killing people" then Kyuranger absolutely has that.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Twelve by Pies posted:

Stinger's brother committed genocide of their race just because he wanted to be more powerful, and he destroys Champ shortly after trying to kill Stinger (though Champ is a robot so they were able to rebuild him of course).

I'm not saying Kyuranger is gritty or serious or anything, it's not, but if your bar for grim and scary is "a person gets poisoned and will die" or "a villain likes hurting/killing people" then Kyuranger absolutely has that.

Talking about a person gets poisoned and will die, that scene is followed by Stinger poisoning himself to get a massive power boost, fail to actually accomplish what he wanted to, and nearly die. He's only saved by his brother taking the poison and dying himself instead.

Kyuranger is definitely on the lighter side but you aren't exactly asking for things that didn't happen in-series here, Craptacular.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Okay, well, the next episode is called "Stinger's reunion with his brother" or something like that so it sounds like bad timing. I've been watching this show go through a lot of nonsense about stuff like stolen birthdays and bad luck and one episode that was like the toku equivalent of Don Corneo's mansion in Final Fantasy VII (right down to the "hot" crossdresser) so it's been pretty goofy so far.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
Even zyuohger had bunglay and the ways he hosed with yamato

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
It also had an entire episode about a small child reconfronting his grief over his dead mom. Actually, it's got a lot of characters that have dead friends/relatives in their backstory, and sometimes it's Garu "MY RACE IS DEEEEEAD," but sometimes it's Xiao "how am I functioning on my own without my dead mentor to guide me" Long-pau.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Craptacular! posted:

Okay, well, the next episode is called "Stinger's reunion with his brother" or something like that so it sounds like bad timing. I've been watching this show go through a lot of nonsense about stuff like stolen birthdays and bad luck and one episode that was like the toku equivalent of Don Corneo's mansion in Final Fantasy VII (right down to the "hot" crossdresser) so it's been pretty goofy so far.

You compared this to Abaranger, right?

I've seen a bit of Abaranger. It's not exactly all in the same vein as AbareKiller's storyline. In fact, Kyuranger falls short of just how goofy Abaranger can be by comparison.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

TFRazorsaw posted:

You compared this to Abaranger, right?

I've seen a bit of Abaranger. It's not exactly all in the same vein as AbareKiller's storyline. In fact, Kyuranger falls short of just how goofy Abaranger can be by comparison.

That's actually something I touched on when talking about Ohranger. Even before PR got to those episodes, I knew the stuff about the rangers killing the Machine King, the bomb dude who was a bit of a tyrant, and how Bulldont eventually finds his father's severed head and powers up into an adult and finds a girlfriend. All this stuff sounded dark as gently caress.

On the other hand, whatever web page it was that I was reading from, didn't tell me that Ohranger also had stuff like this, which is the kind of thing PR skipped over because it slightly breaks the illusion of the mechs as these powerful machines of last resort if they're doing Jazzercize on their days off. So my impressions of old sentai are perhaps miscolored a bit until I have the time to watch more.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Craptacular! posted:

That's actually something I touched on when talking about Ohranger. Even before PR got to those episodes, I knew the stuff about the rangers killing the Machine King, the bomb dude who was a bit of a tyrant, and how Bulldont eventually finds his father's severed head and powers up into an adult and finds a girlfriend. All this stuff sounded dark as gently caress.

On the other hand, whatever web page it was that I was reading from, didn't tell me that Ohranger also had stuff like this, which is the kind of thing PR skipped over because it slightly breaks the illusion of the mechs as these powerful machines of last resort if they're doing Jazzercize on their days off. So my impressions of old sentai are perhaps miscolored a bit until I have the time to watch more.

Here's the thing with OhRanger

It is a victim of poor timing. OhRanger was attempting to be a serious Sentai, something of a throwback to the 1980s Bioman-Liveman period of Sentai, which the franchise moved away from with Fiveman.

And then the Sarin Gas Attacks happened in Japan, and like with OOOs, they decided that a dark and serious Toku show was not what kids wanted to see at the moment. So there is a SHARP turn in tone about 13 episodes in and the show never fully recovers from it.

You can see it in the design of the Mecha, too.

The original set of Mecha from OhRanger are super complicated and detailed, very interesting.

The set introduced after the shift in tone are literally shapes. Like, actually just shapes. Brightly colored shapes.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I still find it weird that Go-Busters should've been in the same situation but instead decided to push even harder, likely to tell people "yes, things are bad, but they'll get better". Hiromu having to kill everyone's parents is one of the saddest scenes I can remember in that show and the one I think of the most when I remember that particular point.

It also had very cool mecha until the hand of marketing came in and made Tategami LiOh.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
I've never seen Gobus past episode 30. It's not anything against it. On the contrary, I was very satisfied with the 30 episode series I'd watched.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
You should finish it. You will have to suffer through the bizarre gavan crossover as it is plot relevant but then it gets even better and even crazier poo poo happens. And it's not like there's anything else like it.

You can skip blue Buster's marriage interview episode though. That one sucks and nothing happens. But for the most part I remember the latter half being even more memorable.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Real talk

Having to make every series nearly 50 episodes does not help matters. Some shows are different, of course, but if you only really have enough for 25, 30 episodes, just do that instead.

But that'd likely eat into the amount of toys that could be shown off so who knows.

If there's something I miss from the 60s and 70s, it's how irregular the episode counts were. Ultraman was 39, Seven was 49, Return of Ultraman was 51 (which it REALLY didn't need to be) Kamen Rider was 98, V3 was 52, X dropped down to 35

The original Kamen Rider wasn't even REALLY just 98 episodes. The original series can be basically broken down into three distinct shows.

The ORIGINAL Series, 13 episodes starring Hongo (Well, mostly starring Hongo)

Ichimonji's series, 39 episodes

And then Shin Kamen Rider, which was even advertised like a new show and started with Hongo's final, Shin, form, which primarily had Hongo as the lead with Ichimonji returning now and again to help out- 46 episodes

V3 basically follows the same pattern, with his first two episodes effectively being episodes 99 and 100 of Kamen Rider.

What I'm trying to say is, we need shorter seasons drat it. Very few shows earn their 40+ episode counts.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I would pay a lot of money to see the version of OOO that got to properly play itself out as a whole-plot callback to Kuuga.

John McClane
Nov 14, 2011
I dunno why anyone would panic about viewership numbers when that's becoming an increasingly obsolete metric
It's merch numbers that matter and I think zyuohger rebounded from ninninger's poor showing there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

Blaze Dragon posted:

I still find it weird that Go-Busters should've been in the same situation but instead decided to push even harder, likely to tell people "yes, things are bad, but they'll get better". Hiromu having to kill everyone's parents is one of the saddest scenes I can remember in that show and the one I think of the most when I remember that particular point.

It also had very cool mecha until the hand of marketing came in and made Tategami LiOh.

LiOh is ok because it gives the show freedom to use Ace separately, and Ace is the best.

They should have introduced a sixth member to pilot it though. That lion head shield would have translated really well to a personal weapon.