Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Anyway, for a belated "real" response to what we're doing with rogues, we're emphasizing their mobility/invisibility tricks much more. Instead of choosing between Crippling and Blinding Strike at 1st level, rogues pick between Crippling Strike and Escape. Escape grants a large (but brief) Deflection boost after activation and upgrades into other abilities that turn the rogue invisible (Shadowing Beyond), allow the next attack to paralyze (Shadow Step), and other goodies. Backstab is much more potent and can be triggered in combat from invisibility. A high level rogue can repeatedly Escape around the battlefield, gaining brief spikes of huge Deflection while turning invisible and/or gaining the Swift (+5 Dex) inspiration.

All of the offensive abilities are still present, as are abilities like Coordinated Positioning and Smoke Cloud, but I think the emphasis on hopping around and cloaking is the biggest change.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Avalerion posted:

Just give them a weapon with a good on-hit effect to take advantage of carnage. You can get Tall Grass for the knockdown early on, later I like to end up giving Grey Sleeper to them.

Tidefall is also a fantastic choice because the Draining and Wounding enchantments apply to Carnage hits so the Barbarian heals for a shitload on each swing.

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?

rope kid posted:

Anyway, for a belated "real" response to what we're doing with rogues, we're emphasizing their mobility/invisibility tricks much more. Instead of choosing between Crippling and Blinding Strike at 1st level, rogues pick between Crippling Strike and Escape. Escape grants a large (but brief) Deflection boost after activation and upgrades into other abilities that turn the rogue invisible (Shadowing Beyond), allow the next attack to paralyze (Shadow Step), and other goodies. Backstab is much more potent and can be triggered in combat from invisibility. A high level rogue can repeatedly Escape around the battlefield, gaining brief spikes of huge Deflection while turning invisible and/or gaining the Swift (+5 Dex) inspiration.

All of the offensive abilities are still present, as are abilities like Coordinated Positioning and Smoke Cloud, but I think the emphasis on hopping around and cloaking is the biggest change.

derra
Dec 29, 2012
At low levels, I actually think Barbaric Yell is the clear choice over Frenzy. Savage Defiance is really good. One Stands Alone, Threatening Presence, Vengeful Defeat, Heart of Fury, Dragon leap. Later on you can swap Yell for Frenzy when you get more speed gear. Try to get a Swaddling Sheet, it's really good.

Hours of St Rumbalt doesdual typed damage as well as extra damage AND prone on Crit. Don't need to drain health when everyone around you is on their rear end. You'll want to have a dual large 1h setup that you switch for Heart of Fury (the two proc shields from White March work well too). Hearth of Fury and Vengeful defeat get ridiculous when you are surrounded by enemies - you hit each for with both weapons, and each of those is carnaging to everyone else again. This is worth it even if you don't have dual wield talents.

Most fights on PotD after a point were Swaddling Sheet proccing and stunning all the enemies as I engage, Dragon Leap to the middle of the formation, Heart of Fury, switch to Hours, pop Frenzy and watch everything stay pronelocked until death.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

derra posted:

At low levels, I actually think Barbaric Yell is the clear choice over Frenzy. Savage Defiance is really good. One Stands Alone, Threatening Presence, Vengeful Defeat, Heart of Fury, Dragon leap. Later on you can swap Yell for Frenzy when you get more speed gear. Try to get a Swaddling Sheet, it's really good.

Hours of St Rumbalt doesdual typed damage as well as extra damage AND prone on Crit. Don't need to drain health when everyone around you is on their rear end. You'll want to have a dual large 1h setup that you switch for Heart of Fury (the two proc shields from White March work well too). Hearth of Fury and Vengeful defeat get ridiculous when you are surrounded by enemies - you hit each for with both weapons, and each of those is carnaging to everyone else again. This is worth it even if you don't have dual wield talents.

Most fights on PotD after a point were Swaddling Sheet proccing and stunning all the enemies as I engage, Dragon Leap to the middle of the formation, Heart of Fury, switch to Hours, pop Frenzy and watch everything stay pronelocked until death.

Awesome, thank you! I'm not using Yell enough now (lvl 4) but when I remember to it's great.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged
Well, I have FINALLY gotten around to playing the first game, just tidying up all the loose ends like living dragons (though I spared the two bog dragons (or vice versa) because I was allowed to wave to them, and I can't argue with someone saying Concelhaut is an rear end in a top hat nobody should imitate) before I finish kissing up to gods so I can continue my brilliant plan of chasing Thaos by jumping into a Pit of Certain Doom. I do appreciate that I could make said jump without the gods and go splat, very amusing (though I'm not sure if the thought of my party following me or not following me to my obvious death is more amusing). I had to test it because man do the gods of Eora SUCK as beings; if I do another playthrough I'm naming my character Maya after the one in Kill Six Billion Demons because "Murder the Gods and Topple Their Thrones" is so drat on point for this game world. This game really needed a recommended level notification on quests and areas though; kept getting my face ripped off at various points because whoops, difficulty spike without warning! "A pack of druids? Surely with a little careful play I can oh god all the lightning!! - :gibs:". And this with me being a wimp and playing on relatively low difficulty. I've been taking the keep standard difficulty option instead of the level matching one for the endgame zones because after hours of slamming my dick in a door suddenly at random I want to absolutely pulverize Thaos with a team of level 16 hyper-geared psychos in revenge.

As always for Obsidian games, the NPCs make the game awesome. Eder is probably my favorite, which is kind of funny since play-wise he should be just a rather boring tank which my paladin is already handling, but he's just too drat awesome to listen to as the resigned country boy (who is a LOT smarter than that usually gets portrayed) who's stuck following me through insanity. Durance is an rear end in a top hat but he's a very drat interesting one; helps that I share his attitude about gods and nuking them, but little things like him obviously seeing ahead to the lesson Zahua's companion quest was teaching him make it kind of cool when he opens his mouth to do more than issue insults. Admittedly most of his hilarity comes from the fact every single other person despises him and you can practically hear them laughing when he gets knocked down. Hiravias brings some nice snark (I like how he keeps commenting that he really should be slaughtering us all for defiling his people's sacred sites); my diplomatic paladin just couldn't bring themselves to stop him trash talking us into a fight at the end of his personal quest. I'm not entirely sure if the "add to shock damage" talent is actually adding to the "add shock damage when spirit-shifted" talents, but it sure feels that way when I can push a button and turn him into a electricity-wielding deathclaw that obviously wandered in from New Vegas. Like the DLC companions too for the most part; Maneha is entirely too sweet and nice for a bloodthirsty barbarian, though I never seem to bring her along enough, and Zahua has somewhat startled me with how nasty I wound up making him. His fists hit harder and faster than most of my other weapons even before I hit his "add attack speed" monk power and the gibs start really flying. When his personal quest resolution apparently indicated that being the Anitlei, the terrifying force sufficiently potent enough to deter an entire kingdom, was just a factor of a boost in base attack speed, I pretty much said "yeah, sounds about right really". Guess the lesson is "do drugs and become a kung fu god, kids!".

All and all, a very fun game with an intriguing world and a lot of characters that subvert their obvious roles quite nicely. I look forward to Pillars of Eternity 2 AKA 'drat it, who hit auto-resolve on the stronghold screen for the 'Eothas is attacking in 6 days!' message?". At least THIS time my hirelings will have a legitimate excuse for why a single attack slaughters them and wrecks my buildings without me holding their hands.

LogicNinja
Jan 21, 2011

...the blur blurs blurringly across the blurred blur in a blur of blurring blurriness that blurred...
Can I just say that I hope the "frantically buffing accuracy" part of the game goes away in Pillars 2. Making tactical decisions in combat is good and fun, making sure to cast five spells at the start of combat is Not Fun.

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
Automation would really help with that. By the end of the game I found myself wishing they would just cast the buffs they always cast. Similarly I almost never used potions, scrolls, and especially food because it wasn't worth the time and attention to equip and use them. If they could just eat their cookies and deduct the $5 out of my $500k on their own before every fight I'd use them for something besides making a stat check.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
Buffs are kinda bad, like, as a general concept, for this reason. Bonuses become expectations

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

rope kid posted:

So you're going for a high skill cap, micro intense, but high reward type situation, rather than a more passive approach?

I like it, so long as its a consistent method to do damage and avoid being flattened, good show.

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

rope kid posted:

Sounds pretty good, my only worry in that case would be surviveability vs non-Deflection attacks. I'd be great if there was a rogue feat or whatever that adds the Deflection bonus to Reflex as well, dodging dragon's breath is something thief/rogue characters have traditionally been able to do in RPGs but in PoE1 I found breath attacks tended to splat them just as badly as Priests and whatnot.

Edit: Looking at the wiki they also have Evasion, so that might be overkill?

Random Asshole fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Sep 12, 2017

Velius
Feb 27, 2001
Thanks for the tips. I ended up dropping Grieving Mother for Devil to try and boost damage, and respected my Paladin to use sacred immolation. So my party is:

Main: Kind Wayfarer Paladin, setup for heavy heals from strange mercy, flames of devotion and inspiring victory. Using the Redeemer primarily.

Eder: Standard tanky build using Tall Grass. Seems kind of eh, but I haven't spent too much trying to optimize him.

Monk: Dual saber/torments reach build, seems extremely effective.

Devil: wielding hours of st whatever. Waffling between that and a riposte build when I get the barricade shield. Right now she's doing a lot of damage and not going down so that may be unnecessary.

Aloth + Durance fill in the party. I'm wondering if I should get interdiction for durance for more CC. I've started using that + acc spell at level four and it's great, but once that's done I don't have that much for Durance to do in. I usually use that searing light spell for damage but it's close range and kind of hard to use well.

I'm level 12-14 now and just finishing the non white march bounties, which have been pretty easy. I tried both dragons and wiped prior to asking for help, and I'll probably tackle White March I shortly. Main quest is just getting to twin elms. I'm probably getting overleveled from the bounties but I'm enjoying the combat more now that I've changed things up a bit.

Velius fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Sep 12, 2017

Thesaurasaurus
Feb 15, 2010

"Send in Boxbot!"

Mr. Prokosch posted:

Automation would really help with that. By the end of the game I found myself wishing they would just cast the buffs they always cast. Similarly I almost never used potions, scrolls, and especially food because it wasn't worth the time and attention to equip and use them. If they could just eat their cookies and deduct the $5 out of my $500k on their own before every fight I'd use them for something besides making a stat check.

I think food buffs are getting folded into resting bonuses (as in you choose what everyone eats when you rest and they all get that bonus in addition to the usual resting bonus until you rest again). As for accuracy mods (Death To Missing) I think it works when they're folded into status effects that hook into other mechanics or actions. Tripping an especially-annoying enemy so they're easier to hit, or Rope Kid's description of how a Rogue's Escape now works, both feel more natural than remembering to Cast Spreadsheet at the start of every fight.

GrumpyGoesWest
Apr 9, 2015

rope kid posted:

User
May 3, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
Nap Ghost

ProfessorCirno posted:

Buffs are kinda bad, like, as a general concept, for this reason. Bonuses become expectations

Nah. That's why PoE doesn't have precasting. It's not an expectation, there is the opportunity cost because you could have been casting something else instead. Although I'm fine with precasting too if it's by design and you have gambits (see below)

Mr. Prokosch posted:

FFXII gambits were actually pretty cool. Then again I haven't really dug into it. Are AI scripts modable in PoE?

User fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Sep 12, 2017

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

derra posted:

Barbaric Yell is really great. Frightened gives enemies minus 10 deflection which is significant at all levels. If you couple that with your Barb using a shield they will be surprisingly resilient in combat.

Even if not, Barbaric Yell helps not just your Barbs ability to avoid harm but everyone's. And it's per encounter, so you just fire it every group fight and everyone benefits.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

There's UI scripting ala DA:O tho I don't think we've seen the interface in a hot minute, it probably looks different now.

Apparently people actually hand-coded BG2 party scripts? But I never ever saw anyone actually share them online.

Thesaurasaurus
Feb 15, 2010

"Send in Boxbot!"

Ginette Reno posted:

Barbaric Yell is really great. Frightened gives enemies minus 10 deflection which is significant at all levels. If you couple that with your Barb using a shield they will be surprisingly resilient in combat.

Even if not, Barbaric Yell helps not just your Barbs ability to avoid harm but everyone's. And it's per encounter, so you just fire it every group fight and everyone benefits.

I thought Frightened penalized accuracy, not deflection?

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
Couldn't pre-casting be done like it was in Dragon Age: Origins where buffs are perma-toggled on at the expense of lowering your max mana by a set amount while the buff is toggled on? In PoE2, couldn't you just toggle on all the buffs you wanted and keep them going indefinitely at the cost of having one less spell/ability per encounter/rest available in that group?

Unless of course the temporal nature of each buff is considered in its design, making it more about when to employ them rather than simply about whether or not to employ them at all.

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Smug Statement: Elementary, my dear meatbag.

Ginette Reno posted:

Later on in WM2 there's a helm called Executioner's Hood which gives a passive Frighten aura, that one's really good on a Barbarian since they're always jumping in the middle of things. You can respec out of Barbaric Yell if you have it.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

rope kid posted:

If I read this correctly it means PoE Rogues will become more... Roguish?

Scorchy posted:

Later on in WM2 there's a helm called Executioner's Hood which gives a passive Frighten aura, that one's really good on a Barbarian since they're always jumping in the middle of things. You can respec out of Barbaric Yell if you have it.

This helm is the best. I Love that the enemies literally poo poo themselves because you're so awesome.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

ProfessorCirno posted:

Apart from the opportunity cost User mentioned, how does that apply to buffs but not any other ability that is used regularly? What would make me expect to have buffs because I've got a Priest but not expect to have Moonwell up and half the enemies unable to act because I also have a Druid and a Wizard?

Basic Chunnel posted:

Apparently people actually hand-coded BG2 party scripts? But I never ever saw anyone actually share them online.
There have been some uploaded to modding websites.
I've never used one, but I know Sword Coast Stratagems comes with a general use script for example.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
I was pretty bummed when Obsidian patched the AI (was that in 2.0 or 3.0?) and we couldn't do this ; that is, write our own AI routines. Or if we can I totally missed that feature.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

How many buffs do you actually use? Asuming you have a priest - that one that gives huge deflection, some accuracy buff, a status immunity buff if one is relevant. More is probably overkill and you don't even need a priest so even these aren't must have.

Though buffs are getting overhauled and condensed for deadfire anyway - which is good, I probably might gave used more if I could bother memorizing what they do and how they stack.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

My brother made some BG2 scripts back in the day. Mainly things like auto attack wizards, auto cast stone skin or iron skins if it's not already active. Probably some other stuff as well but that's what I can remember.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Thesaurasaurus posted:

I thought Frightened penalized accuracy, not deflection?

Yes accuracy not deflection, I mistyped. But that basically equates to +10 to all defenses for you.

Scorchy posted:

Yeah that's a nice hat.

HamHawkes
Jan 25, 2014
This thread has inspired me to finish my game. I'm tying up all loose ends before the end. I've done a bunch of bounties for my keep. Do they have a limit or do they go on forever?

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

HamHawkes posted:

This thread has inspired me to finish my game. I'm tying up all loose ends before the end. I've done a bunch of bounties for my keep. Do they have a limit or do they go on forever?

There's a limit. They are not randomly generated or anything, quite the contrary. They are listed here: https://pillarsofeternity.gamepedia.com/Bounty

After Caed Nua you can get more in White March.

HamHawkes
Jan 25, 2014

Furism posted:

There's a limit. They are not randomly generated or anything, quite the contrary. They are listed here: https://pillarsofeternity.gamepedia.com/Bounty

After Caed Nua you can get more in White March.

OK thanks. Maybe these are the last few then. I believe I finished all the WM ones. I finished all the companion quests and I think I have two side quests left then it's time!

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

You should do them, they are all cool encounters with amazing loot.

HamHawkes
Jan 25, 2014

mitochondritom posted:

You should do them, they are all cool encounters with amazing loot.

I am. A little silly though because I am almost done.

netcat
Apr 29, 2008

Chairchucker posted:

My brother made some BG2 scripts back in the day. Mainly things like auto attack wizards, auto cast stone skin or iron skins if it's not already active. Probably some other stuff as well but that's what I can remember.

The BG scripting used the same system for PC's and NPC's so you could do fun things like write scripts to cast spells you didn't actually know which tiny me used to great effect

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

netcat posted:

The BG scripting used the same system for PC's and NPC's so you could do fun things like write scripts to cast spells you didn't actually know which tiny me used to great effect

That's the kind of stuff that gets kids into programming games you know. I kind of miss that approach old games had, where nothing was encrypted or obfuscated because who cares.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

netcat posted:

ReallyForceSpell(NearestEnemyOf(Myself),TRANSFORMATION_DEATH)

Parenthesis
Jan 3, 2013
https://twitter.com/WorldofEternity/status/907668599703191552

Welp.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
That was supposed to be the multiclass update?

I'm restarting Pillars again for my ~totally for real final official sequel transfer playthrough~ and keep restarting classes.

Roleplay wise I really like Kind Wayfarer.
Monk is fun.
Cipher is cool.
I've always wanted to run a barbarian.

So much choice paralysis.

Doesn't help that I keep dwelling on how I want to multiclass when I get to PoE II.

Paladin/Monk seems fun. Wade in, tank hits, when you get damaged kick ogres across the map.

Monk/Cipher also seems awesome. Get hit spend wounds to do damage, use focus from damage to mind control and lock people down. Lots of versatility, I think.

CAN'T MAKE UP MY MIND

EDIT: Also, ropekid please release all the Pillars II player portraits right now as a patch for Pillars 1, so I can have more face choices I like. Thanks.

Fintilgin fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Sep 12, 2017

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
When in doubt, always go Cipher. I'm only half kidding, Cipher are thematically perfect for PoE imo.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Furism posted:

When in doubt, always go Cipher. I'm only half kidding, Cipher are thematically perfect for PoE imo.

My current build, (only to Gilded Vale area) is a mega glass cannon with a bow. Guns just seem so... slow. Really tanked CON/RES because the idea is not to even get hit in the first place. Bad idea?

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
The lack of mechanical continuity has really killed my enthusiasm to try to play through both games at once, but being able to be a drug monk does slightly makes up for the shameful lack of a fishing minigame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Fintilgin posted:

My current build, (only to Gilded Vale area) is a mega glass cannon with a bow. Guns just seem so... slow. Really tanked CON/RES because the idea is not to even get hit in the first place. Bad idea?

Can work fine depending on difficulty but will require management in higher difficulties as the AI is smart enough to seek out weak targets.

• Locked thread