Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS

HGH posted:

I'm looking to get my friend a game for his birthday, and I've narrowed it down to PUBG or Nier Automata (which he's expressed interest in both). He has time to play games and we used to play Dota together so he doesn't mind competitive stuff. Considering the state of Nier's PC port am I better off getting him PUBG and leaving the latter for PS4?

If you have PUBG too, I'd go with that one. Otherwise, go with Nier, FAR, wherever you are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

DatonKallandor posted:

I wouldn't wish PubG on my worst enemy. It's only fun when hanging out with friends on voice coms, and there's far better alternatives that let you do that while also being good games.

I have no real interest in pubg, but what alternatives? I have a small group of friends we've been playing FPS games for 15 years, but honestly none of the current fps games on the market that we've tried really do anything for us. I'd loving kill for a Bad Company 3, DOD2, NS3, or something though.

Ashmole
Oct 5, 2008

This wish was granted by Former DILF
Is Elite Dangerous any good? I'm trying to find a good MMO. Is Star Citizen playable yet?

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
MMOs are dead, mate. It's all MOBAs and CCGs now.

There's only like, FFXIV or GW2 left.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Ashmole posted:

Is Elite Dangerous any good? I'm trying to find a good MMO. Is Star Citizen playable yet?

Elite isn't an MMO, but it's just as grindy as one!

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Elite is an MMO just going by the name of the genre, it just doesn't really play like one at all outside of the fact that it's very grindy. You can play in a solo mode where no other players will show up, but even if you play in open, you can just about never see other players depending on what you do.

I settled into exploring after awhile, and bumping into another player by freak chance at the tiny spirograph nebula some 800 light years away from populated space was one of the coolest things that happened.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

HGH posted:

I'm looking to get my friend a game for his birthday, and I've narrowed it down to PUBG or Nier Automata (which he's expressed interest in both). He has time to play games and we used to play Dota together so he doesn't mind competitive stuff. Considering the state of Nier's PC port am I better off getting him PUBG and leaving the latter for PS4?

Zero reason to buy Nier on PC if they have a PS4 and PUBG is pretty good.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Det_no posted:

Zero reason to buy Nier on PC if they have a PS4 and PUBG is pretty good.

I still wanna say that with FAR and with a good PC you're gonna have a better experience with Nier on PC than on PS4 (because PS4 gets slowdown). PS4 is way less risky, tho.

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING

Xaris posted:

I have no real interest in pubg, but what alternatives? I have a small group of friends we've been playing FPS games for 15 years, but honestly none of the current fps games on the market that we've tried really do anything for us. I'd loving kill for a Bad Company 3, DOD2, NS3, or something though.

I'm kind of a broken record about this, but have you checked out Rising Storm 2?

It breaks away from the usual arcady gameplay of BF with realistic basics and damage without going full on Arma with the controls.

It focuses more on sticking with your team, playing your role, covering each other, and pushing the objective.

It does have a bit of a problem with casual racism over comms, but there are plenty of servers that are actually moderated. The Bloodbath servers are pretty good in that respect.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

DatonKallandor posted:

I wouldn't wish PubG on my worst enemy.

Your worst enemy is probably already playing PUBG, as are his wife, dog, friends and neighbors.

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING

Kanfy posted:

Your worst enemy is probably already playing PUBG, as are his wife, dog, friends and neighbors.

I think they recently reported 10m sales?

E: as in copies

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Velocity Raptor posted:

I think they recently reported 10m sales?

E: as in copies

More concurrent players online than DotA.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Digirat posted:

Elite is an MMO just going by the name of the genre, it just doesn't really play like one at all outside of the fact that it's very grindy. You can play in a solo mode where no other players will show up, but even if you play in open, you can just about never see other players depending on what you do.

I settled into exploring after awhile, and bumping into another player by freak chance at the tiny spirograph nebula some 800 light years away from populated space was one of the coolest things that happened.

It's as much an MMO as No Mans Sky. You can't physically encounter hundreds of players as the game isn't built for that. There is nothing massively multiplayer about it other than that certain actions are permanently logged and there may occasionally be events. No Mans Sky is just as much of an MMO as Elite Dangerous is now that you can bump in to other people and frankly No Mans Sky is a better game.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Ashmole posted:

E:D is a a modern Elite, with all that entails. If you like Elite, it's good; if you don't, it's not. It is not an MMO, but it is a killer app for VR.
Star Citizen does not exist, and is increasingly unlikely to ever do so.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
https://twitter.com/Steam_Spy/status/907173044849967104

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Guy Mann posted:

Even the attempt at being a 0451-like dystopia is really, really bad though. Like Bioshock wasn't subtle or anything but WHF having your character go from an emotionless cog to seeing that everyone is eating rats thinking they're pinatas and standing around singing the exact same slow creepy nursery rhyme song in the span of like a minute is practically self-parody, especially since it's a bunch of Canadian anglophiles affecting a bunch of British stuff with about as much depth as high schoolers shouting Shaun of the Dead quotes at each other.

also whf is a lovely survival roguelike

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Ashmole posted:

Is Star Citizen playable yet?
I wouldn't hold the door open for that one.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name

Ashmole posted:

Is Star Citizen playable yet?

atm they can't get it to work for more than 10 people at the same time so that's a huge no to the MMO aspect.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

It's as much an MMO as No Mans Sky. You can't physically encounter hundreds of players as the game isn't built for that. There is nothing massively multiplayer about it other than that certain actions are permanently logged and there may occasionally be events. No Mans Sky is just as much of an MMO as Elite Dangerous is now that you can bump in to other people and frankly No Mans Sky is a better game.

Can you actually get in a wing and shoot other players/cooperate in no man's sky now

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Mordja posted:

Jeff is a grown-rear end man with a house and a wife, why on earth would he remember it?

I mean, it was a pretty big thing in his career? The internet exploded over it.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
You'd think goons of all people would understand how a person could claim to not know or care about something while also exhibiting an encyclopedic knowledge of everything that person, their family, and their employer has ever done ever.

Speaking of, don't you YouTube people have a Cool Chat Crew thread or something you could go to.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

Terminally Bored posted:

atm they can't get it to work for more than 10 people at the same time so that's a huge no to the MMO aspect.

Have they tried adding more real-time VR face rendering?

Veotax
May 16, 2006

If we're still talking about Youtube, Ahoy recently put out an incredible video about Ploybius. It goes way beyond the usual stuff of 'here is a bunch of known info about the myth' and he does a ton of his own research finding the apparent first mention of the game and even pinning it down to a possible creator.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_7X6Yeydgyg

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I like Men Drinkin' Coffee, and if you like fighting games The Recipe series on CrossCounter is good watching.

Terminally Bored posted:

they can't even get it to work properly for 1 person.

Fawf
Nov 5, 2009

It's Me, It's Me, It's DDD

Grapplejack posted:

I mean, it was a pretty big thing in his career? The internet exploded over it.

For you, the day he scored your favorite video game an 8.8 was the most important day of your life. For him, it was a Tuesday

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Digirat posted:

Can you actually get in a wing and shoot other players/cooperate in no man's sky now

Not sure wings are in but you can see little green dudes on planets? Unless you're really into slow and lovely space dogfighting, that's not much of an advantage.

And as a VR owner, E:D couldn't be further from a killer app. House of the Dying Sun and Euro Truck/American Truck Sim cover what E:D does but both better in their respective fields. When bloody Euro Truck Sim has more mechanical depth, you know you have a problem.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Guy Mann posted:

You'd think goons of all people would understand how a person could claim to not know or care about something while also exhibiting an encyclopedic knowledge of everything that person, their family, and their employer has ever done ever.

Speaking of, don't you YouTube people have a Cool Chat Crew thread or something you could go to.
Are you having a stroke?

Fawf posted:

For you, the day he scored your favorite video game an 8.8 was the most important day of your life. For him, it was a Tuesday
Actually, yes. Since social media didn't exist back then, the only place folks could talk about it was on the Gamespot forums, which was something the actual other writers avoided like the plague.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Have you seen the pictures of the AFK bots farming points for chests to sell skirts for $600 on the marketplace. There aren't any new Chinese players. Its getting to the point where 1/3rd of the game is afk and its a lot less fun.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Larry Bundy Jr's stuff I find enjoyable because though it's trashy Top 5 kind of stuff on its face, he seems to go the extra mile digging stuff out of old gaming mags and often has a lot of stories about classic British devs that don't get much airtime elsewhere that I'm aware of.

Here is the problem with Larry: he started with a lot of these things and at this point has run out of material/doesn't do the research, leading to multiple videos that are just "I browsed The Cutting Room Floor for an hour and picked 5" or ones that are in fact incredibly questionably sourced if you know the topic in question.

I think my breaking point was the "Miyamoto is a prick" video where two or three of the claims involved were disproved or from one real biased party years ago.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GjNILjFters

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Doorknob Slobber posted:

Have you seen the pictures of the AFK bots farming points for chests to sell skirts for $600 on the marketplace. There aren't any new Chinese players. Its getting to the point where 1/3rd of the game is afk and its a lot less fun.

Can you really tell the difference between a camper and an afk dude?

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Grapplejack posted:

Can you really tell the difference between a camper and an afk dude?

yes because the AFK guys all get kicked out of the plane at the end of its path and they all drop together

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Doorknob Slobber posted:

yes because the AFK guys all get kicked out of the plane at the end of its path and they all drop together

Huh. I wonder if they'll figure out a way to deal with that? TF2 had (still has, I guess) an enormous problem with AFKing for boxes and items, and they never really figured out a good fix.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Grapplejack posted:

Huh. I wonder if they'll figure out a way to deal with that? TF2 had (still has, I guess) an enormous problem with AFKing for boxes and items, and they never really figured out a good fix.

They kinda have a fix since they all die to the circle or other players very quickly, and get very few points by afk farming. AFK farming is hyper inefficient in this game.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

END ME SCOOB posted:

I think my breaking point was the "Miyamoto is a prick" video where two or three of the claims involved were disproved or from one real biased party years ago.

Yeah, I'd agree that was real bad. Even within the claims, it didn't make a lot of sense as an assertion, it was just trolly nonsense.

Alas.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Seventh Arrow posted:

Are there any gaming youtubers that are interesting to watch but aren't screaming manchildren, e.g. Pewdiepie, Markiplier? I like Christopher Odd somewhat, is there anything like that?

Bit late but Errant Signal is pretty good if you're into some decent literary analysis of games and their systems.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Just last night I found this channel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J4tbbcWqDyY

I disagreed with some of what I saw (I didn't watch most of the prey one since it was late, but the intro referring to it as "bioshock 3" wasn't exactly winning me over) but it's pretty thoughtful and made a lot of observations I didn't think about when playing soma.

Tax Inductions
Jul 9, 2007

I carry refreshments to the good guys
I made the good guys some home fries
video game dunkey is fun, i like his voice :]

Ohio State BOOniversity
Mar 3, 2008

"A Robot Named Fight" ticks a lot of boxes for me. Anyone tried it? http://store.steampowered.com/app/603530/A_Robot_Named_Fight/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011
Tom Francis, man behind Gunpoint, has his next game Heat Signature coming out in 9 days on Steam. No price yet, oddly, but probably similar.

"Slightly" out of date video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QIsAIdafoes