Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

Daztek posted:

Man, I grabbed the game and had a look around in the character creator and now I can't decide what I want to play as come thursday :saddowns:

Undead

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Daztek posted:

Man, I grabbed the game and had a look around in the character creator and now I can't decide what I want to play as come thursday :saddowns:

:same:

I've narrowed it down to what skills I'm (probably) using, but deciding on a race and appearance is going to take ages.

Cousin Todd
Jul 3, 2007
Grimey Drawer
I'm reading about magic armor, and that sounds like it's going to be a pain in the rear end. Does everyone have magic armor? Sounds like this gimps a lot of my normal tactics like turn 1 charming and the like. Hell, I think it would negate the ability to have just a status effect caster as a standalone thing if I have to plink through their magic armor with magic damage before I can effect anyone's status.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Prism posted:

I've narrowed it down to what skills I'm (probably) using, but deciding on a race and appearance is going to take ages.

Yeah that's me too so far. I have pretty much settled on taking a character with telekinesis, making the Red Prince either a witch or battlemage (for persuasion) and making ilfan a conjuror with leadership and pet pal. But we'll see. Need someone with loremaster.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

Kharmakazy posted:

I'm reading about magic armor, and that sounds like it's going to be a pain in the rear end. Does everyone have magic armor? Sounds like this gimps a lot of my normal tactics like turn 1 charming and the like. Hell, I think it would negate the ability to have just a status effect caster as a standalone thing if I have to plink through their magic armor with magic damage before I can effect anyone's status.

I hate it and it's especially annoying at the start of the game where enemies have like 50 magic/phys armor and you've yet to find any armor at all. I hope it gets better as you get better equipment and skills.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Yeah that's me too so far. I have pretty much settled on taking a character with telekinesis, making the Red Prince either a witch or battlemage (for persuasion) and making ilfan a conjuror with leadership and pet pal. But we'll see. Need someone with loremaster.

I've decide to go two-handed and get my physical brawl on, but I haven't decided between ... uh, any of the races except probably not undead. Probably. No guarantees though. Also Lohse gets to join the group and be a caster because it just seems appropriate.

Edit: I have just learned metamorph abilities are strength-reliant so now I have a new option for backup abilities! Life is hard.

Prism fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Sep 11, 2017

Exodee
Mar 30, 2011

nerdz posted:

I hate it and it's especially annoying at the start of the game where enemies have like 50 magic/phys armor and you've yet to find any armor at all. I hope it gets better as you get better equipment and skills.
There's a few vendors in the first camp that sell low-level armor pieces fairly cheaply, I'd recommend kitting everyone out if you're having trouble. If I remember correctly one of them is near Griff, but she moves around a little.

Enigmatic Cakelord
Jun 16, 2006

ASARI EYEBROWS

New origin spotlight, Sebille this time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FCiKL1IMYaA

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Jack the Lad posted:

I picked this up and played a bit with a buddy over the weekend. It's really fun and I'm hype for the full release.

It's called One Man Army now, but yeah.

e: Where/when can you get better weapons at the moment? I grabbed the spear from the cave zombie guy but haven't found anything else decent at all.

Yeah I figured I might as well look at the character creation screen but... Uh, are we really only given one Talent to start with?

"Okay, you can either take Opportunist or whatever specific talent is needed for your class to even do it's job... Or Pet pal."
"...Why can't I start with both?"

I'm also not seeing either one man army, or lone wolf on the list. Do they gate that to a later level so you can't have it when you start the game without a full party to hide behind, or something? Because I do see tooltips at least mention one man army, like how Glass Cannon is incompatible.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Section Z posted:

Yeah I figured I might as well look at the character creation screen but... Uh, are we really only given one Talent to start with?

"Okay, you can either take Opportunist or whatever a specific talent is needed for your class to even do it's job... Or Pet pal."

I'm also not seeing either one man army, or lone wolf on the list. Do they gate that to a later level so you can't have it when you start the game without a full party to hide behind, or something? Because I do see tooltips at least mention one man army, like how Glass Cannon is incompatible.

Yeah I think you got to hit level 8 before OMA is even accessible. In single player at any rate I fully intend to just cheat engine a drat trait point in for pet pal if they haven't gotten any less frugal with the things.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.
Sebille's voice is really nice, a lot less "obvious psychopath" than I was expecting from Larian.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Caidin posted:

Yeah I think you got to hit level 8 before OMA is even accessible. In single player at any rate I fully intend to just cheat engine a drat trait point in for pet pal if they haven't gotten any less frugal with the things.
And we're back to the mixed messages about options. Pet Pal OP.

Okay. Is it just a really jarring tool tip error overlooked. Or does slotting the Knight preset really change Scoundrel and Marksmen dagger and ranged powers into "Gets a bonus from Strength", and the other way around for Finesse boosting warfare picks if you started out as a rogue preset? Is this actually a really cool thing you can do for realsies, or am I getting cock teased with that degree of customization?

Also in "Can I actually use these crazy options" land. I do hope that Necromancy spell I saw glancing at the barely there wiki, Shackles "All damage dealt to you, is dealt to the target", works for/does not get nerfed into the pavement for friendly fire. Even if I never use it, I want to live in a world where you defeat the boss by beating the poo poo out of your teammate like a voodoo doll. Then everyone argues over what happens when you shoot your zombie teammate using said spell with poison to heal him, or healing spells to hurt him.

EDIT: Oh right, I saw talk about how you still get EXP while KOd, which is good! But then I saw mention how that doesn't work on higher difficulty levels, which sounds about right for "Higher difficulty". But there are only two difficulties, so is that "Real RPG fan difficulty unlocked later" harder, or "Go play Exploration easy mode if you want EXP regardless" harder.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Sep 12, 2017

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Prism posted:

Deciding on a name is what takes me hours, usually.

I AM BRAWW
Jul 18, 2014
How much of the story line is in EA? In terms of hours compared to the full release, I mean.

I'm really enjoying the game, althought as others have mentionned playing a Melee is so underwhelming, especially with the fun mechanic that is the elements. How easily is the game moddable, in terms of uh.. can we expect custom races and Nude_Companion mods? thanks.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Section Z posted:

Okay. Is it just a really jarring tool tip error overlooked. Or does slotting the Knight preset really change Scoundrel and Marksmen dagger and ranged powers into "Gets a bonus from Strength", and the other way around for Finesse boosting warfare picks if you started out as a rogue preset? Is this actually a really cool thing you can do for realsies, or am I getting cock teased with that degree of customization?

Also in "Can I actually use these crazy options" land. I do hope that Necromancy spell I saw glancing at the barely there wiki, Shackles "All damage dealt to you, is dealt to the target", works for/does not get nerfed into the pavement for friendly fire. Even if I never use it, I want to live in a world where you defeat the boss by beating the poo poo out of your teammate like a voodoo doll. Then everyone argues over what happens when you shoot your zombie teammate using said spell with poison to heal him, or healing spells to hurt him.

EDIT: Oh right, I saw talk about how you still get EXP while KOd, which is good! But then I saw mention how that doesn't work on higher difficulty levels, which sounds about right for "Higher difficulty". But there are only two difficulties, so is that "Real RPG fan difficulty unlocked later" harder, or "Go play Exploration easy mode if you want EXP regardless" harder.

skill damage can scale off whatever depending on your weapon choice, yes. but skill cc effects are either physical or magical (you can check by looking at what the saving throw is) so it's not too advised to use a physical skill that has let's say knockdown with int scaling weapons.

the not sharing exp stuff they're talking about is for os1. os2 shares exp in battle no matter what as long as you participate. no clue if that'll stay the same on release

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.

Section Z posted:

Third difficulty level is coming with the proper release Thursday, but I'm pretty sure you get exp while dead anyway.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Futaba Anzu posted:

skill damage can scale off whatever depending on your weapon choice, yes. but skill cc effects are either physical or magical (you can check by looking at what the saving throw is) so it's not too advised to use a physical skill that has let's say knockdown with int scaling weapons.

the not sharing exp stuff they're talking about is for os1. os2 shares exp in battle no matter what as long as you participate. no clue if that'll stay the same on release
Okay. I know it would hardly be the first time that "Skewed towards the physical, rather than magical" cross classes get hosed over while the developers swear they are just as viable and balanced as the rest.

But using a staff at the same time as knockdown powers, is kind of Inquisitors whole deal by default. Is it really that poo poo, or is there something I'm missing that gives inquisitor start specifically a pass?

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

Section Z posted:

Nothing to do with Knight. It's Warfare: Warfare skills are tied to the weapon type you're using, and use the favoured attribute for that weapon. I think many or all Polymorph skills work the same way. This means that these skills are still useful even if you are using non-STR-based weapons.

quote:

Two difficulties now, two more on release: Tactical, which has altered enemies (not just stats, different enemy placement) and altered AI, and Honor, which is Tactical, with Permadeath (a single save which is deleted on party wipe).

I AM BRAWW posted:

How much of the story line is in EA? In terms of hours compared to the full release, I mean.

About 25%. The game has three acts. The first and third are about 25% each, the second is about 50%.

TotallyGreen
Jun 30, 2002

REMIND ME AGAIN, HOW
THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED
ONES MOVE.
I wish we knew more about the other races. I'm definitely playing a custom character with Lohse and Sebille and one of the remaining guys, but I cant decide between Elf/Dwarf and Im still vaguely considering lizard.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Nothing to do with Knight. It's Warfare: Warfare skills are tied to the weapon type you're using, and use the favoured attribute for that weapon. I think many or all Polymorph skills work the same way. This means that these skills are still useful even if you are using non-STR-based weapons.

Two difficulties now, two more on release: Tactical, which has altered enemies (not just stats, different enemy placement) and altered AI, and Honor, which is Tactical, with Permadeath (a single save which is deleted on party wipe).

About 25%. The game has three acts. The first and third are about 25% each, the second is about 50%.
I'm going to assume you mean Warfare in the broad general sense of "Skills that swing or shoot a weapon", rather than the specific skill actually called warfare. Considering like I said, presets would turn Scoundrel and Marksman skills into "Bonus from STR", the same way picking Warfare with other classes would make those say things got a bonus from finesse instead.

So it would indeed make sense if it's just eyeballing whatever weapon was equipped and shrugging out the relevant physical stat, if not clarify "Will this actually work worth a drat?" then still leave me wondering if default Inquisitor "Staff is what you use for Battering ram, right?" is viable or some kind of prank by the devs.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Sep 12, 2017

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Section Z posted:

I'm going to assume you mean Warfare in the broad general sense of "Skills that swing or shoot a weapon", rather than the specific skill actually called warfare.

No, I mean Warfare in the specific sense of Warfare Skills, although most damage-dealing Warfare Skills probably cannot be used at all with ranged weapons (just as Vault and Mortal Blow can't be used without a dagger equipped and Marksman's Fang needs a bow or crossbow).

The reason why it uses the specific stat tied to the weapon is to allow things like spear and staff-using melee fighters. Battering Ram should work fine with a staff, although it will do whatever element the staff does in damage, not physical damage.

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Sadly this part isn't true, Tentacle Lash is always STR based, even when using a finesse-based weapon.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
Hitting enemies with a staff is not good if you want to use battering ram since it's blocked by physical armor and staff is magic damage.

Also, my main problem with the armor system so far is how you almost need at least one character with Warfare and one with Aerotheurge just to make enemies susceptible to your spells and abilities.

In other news, my zombie elf that absorbs blood is hilariously unkillable.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

How is dual wielding in Original Sin 2? 2-handed just being so incredibly powerful and awesome that I never bothered with it in the first game.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Jimbot posted:

How is dual wielding in Original Sin 2? 2-handed just being so incredibly powerful and awesome that I never bothered with it in the first game.

Dual wielding seems to be better for using abilities since it uses 2ap instead of the 3 that 2handed weapons require.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
I was messing around with an Inquisitor lizard in early access. 1 point Warfare, 1 point in Pyro, the rest in Aero. Using a staff with whirlwind, phoenix dive, blitz has no drawbacks. Cut through everyones magic armor and stun them. I'm not sure if battering ram is actually bad on the build since even if it won't knock down consistently, it is still a 1ap long range dash aoe ability.

ovenboy
Nov 16, 2014

Does anyone else get party portraits that look kinda rough? Almost a bit low res. I'm not sure what they are "supposed" to look like, though, it's hard make out from the streams if mine are any worse.

Jack the Lad
Jan 20, 2009

Feed the Pubs

Section Z posted:

"Okay, you can either take Opportunist or whatever specific talent is needed for your class to even do it's job... Or Pet pal."

You only get one talent to start with.

You can only take OMA at level 8 in the current version of the game, but at release you'll be able to take it at level 1.

TotallyGreen posted:

I wish we knew more about the other races. I'm definitely playing a custom character with Lohse and Sebille and one of the remaining guys, but I cant decide between Elf/Dwarf and Im still vaguely considering lizard.

Good news is the racial stat bonuses are going away at release, so you're not suboptimal for not being a lizard wizard etc. Initial stat bonuses will be either free for you to allocate or determined by your base class.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Random rear end in a top hat posted:

Sadly this part isn't true, Tentacle Lash is always STR based, even when using a finesse-based weapon.

I remembered one of them was STR-based, but I couldn't remember the name. It was complained about so perhaps it gets changed to weapon-based in the full release.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Okay, I am think I am going to settle for Fane, The Red Prince, Lohse and either Sebille or Beast for the fourth slot. I am inclined towards Sebille because the getting memories from corpses thing adds another tool to the exploration/investigation layer of the game. Still no idea about classes though, I did D:OS 1 with a Rogue, Wizard, the Bear Daughter (Ranger) and Jahan (Enchanter), so I probably will want to try something different this time, but I also want to have the full range of elemental effects since they're one of the most fun aspects of the game.

One thing of note is that, in my D:OS 1 playthrough, I felt the Rogue lost in combat power in comparison to the other characters, who pretty much reached a singularity of killing with their tier 5 skills, but she was still invaluable in tackling dungeons with invisibility and light step, and she could always use grenades and scrolls to contribute to the actual fighting when the whole world was on fire. Clockwork Bomb was also a surprisingly fun and effective skill to use, so I hope it comes back. Anyways, I am rambling, and looking at the Wiki, there doesn't appear to be a lot of documentation on the skills, specially for the new paths, namely Polymorph and Summoning, which I am particularly curious about.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Rogue was definitely the weakest archetype in DoS1. It is looking considerably stronger in DoS2 though. If anything, it is probably the strongest setup in the alpha. It is getting nerfed for release though. Will have to see where it ends up.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

In the full release can get an item that lets you use all racial abilities so non elves can eat dead people and grok their essence.

Zhulik
Nov 14, 2012

The Montreal Star
If you're playing with friends, don't forget to go to your journal and enable quest sharing every time you start a session. If you don't have a quest in your journal, you don't get the xp reward when it's completed. I have no idea why this isn't a thing enabled by default, or frankly why it's even an option.

Moreover, there are some dialogue/environment XP sources that only one person in the party can benefit from, journal options be damned. These aren't telegraphed in any way, and add up to a pretty significant disparity in individual character xp. Playing through the EA content with my friends, we just had to periodically pause and compare our xp totals, and then the person with the least xp would be the party face/interactible toucher for a bit until they caught up.

Hopefully at least some of this changed for the release.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

I AM BRAWW posted:

I'm really enjoying the game, althought as others have mentionned playing a Melee is so underwhelming, especially with the fun mechanic that is the elements

This is my biggest concern as well. I played a sword-and-shield "main" in the first game and he was by far the most boring character out of everyone else on the team.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Zhulik posted:

If you're playing with friends, don't forget to go to your journal and enable quest sharing every time you start a session. If you don't have a quest in your journal, you don't get the xp reward when it's completed. I have no idea why this isn't a thing enabled by default, or frankly why it's even an option.

Moreover, there are some dialogue/environment XP sources that only one person in the party can benefit from, journal options be damned. These aren't telegraphed in any way, and add up to a pretty significant disparity in individual character xp. Playing through the EA content with my friends, we just had to periodically pause and compare our xp totals, and then the person with the least xp would be the party face/interactible toucher for a bit until they caught up.

Hopefully at least some of this changed for the release.

This is the reason I had such a gloomy time the first time I ever played this with a friend who'd already played a lot of the first game. I was content with just going at my own pace talking to everyone worth talking to while my friend has already nailed that down to brutal efficiency so he was already in the midst of looting or scouting out the map while I was still halfway through talking. That along with the stupid journal sharing thing meant that within the first five hours he'd already built up a silent level and a half ahead of me. For being a game purported to be very co-op driven, that really pissed me off how it seems to have missed the mark so intensely, and I really hope they tighten that poo poo up for final release.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof

enraged_camel posted:

This is my biggest concern as well. I played a sword-and-shield "main" in the first game and he was by far the most boring character out of everyone else on the team.

Why have a straight up no-magic guy when you don't have to?

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
The forums agree, too, that there should absolutely be at least the option for everyone to get the same exp from everything.

KyloWinter posted:

Because you don't have to be a jack of all trades, and he wanted to play a durable sworddude?

Schubalts fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Sep 12, 2017

a cow
May 6, 2007

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me
Does anyone know if you have to redownload the whole game on release, or if I can save some time on release by having the early access stuff?

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
My PC can run D:OS 1 well enough (not great), I wonder if it will even run D:OS 2?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

KyloWinter posted:

Picking up a point of polymorph on any melee character at a minimum seems pretty useful. Just having the abilities to cloak, fly, and charge around with horns seems handy. I don't know why you wouldn't want that.

I totally agree with everybody on the exp sharing stuff. I plan to play through it co-op, and competitive exp is a pain in the rear end. I would love a 'just share all the drat exp equally' button.

Filthy Monkey fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Sep 12, 2017