Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Cimbri posted:

What about when you account for in system jump points?

At super long distances its very rare for them to occur. I think I have seen it happen once in like 10 games with like 1000 systems explored in total. Though you might have had better luck. The in system jump points almost always connect to a point in the same solar system, as in a point around the same star as the other point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cimbri
Feb 6, 2015

Telsa Cola posted:

At super long distances its very rare for them to occur. I think I have seen it happen once in like 10 games with like 1000 systems explored in total. Though you might have had better luck. The in system jump points almost always connect to a point in the same solar system, as in a point around the same star as the other point.

Only had it happen once but in one of only a few systems in my short time with the game, didn't realize it was that rare, good to know.

There's clearly a catch to B but it still seems the better choice.

Cimbri fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Sep 11, 2017

Crazyeyes24
Sep 14, 2014

Your good vision is your fatal weakness!
I am skeptical of any first offer that doesn't have some very clear downside. Also very doubtful; that the Terrans haven't at least taken a peek at the system they are 'offering.'

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

Synthbuttrange posted:

"Do you want the good news or the bad news first?"
"Good please."
"We've found the jump points in the new system!"
"That's great. What's the bad news?"
"They're around the outer stars."

Is that even possible? For some reason I thought all the jump point calculations use the system primary - is that not the case?

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell

Crazyeyes24 posted:

I am skeptical of any first offer that doesn't have some very clear downside. Also very doubtful; that the Terrans haven't at least taken a peek at the system they are 'offering.'

This isn't really a first offer, it's a compromise between our first offer (free travel & we get Uranus) & theirs (JP ownership & Uranus is independent/Terran). The choice is to keep pushing for a better deal & maybe stall the talks, or accept.

The Terrans probably think this is a good deal for them, the war drained our resources & damaged our industrial base while they are intact and will save money on fuel as prices drop when the IC & TFS dump fuel on the market in order to quickly raise rebuilding capital. They have already given their JP an initial survey so wanting to lock it down means it probably has a terraformable planet & likely sources of Sorium.

This is them playing it safe, they are ahead in both production capacity & jump research, they want to lock down an avenue out of the solar system & some new resources rather than risk being overtaken in 5 or 10 years if Mars grabs most of the Sorium resources in shared systems.

Plus it's a good idea to encourage 2 divergent branches of colonization instead of 1 expanding sphere if you are worried about extra-terrestrials invading human space & exterminating our species. Easier to just cutoff an entire branch by mining the only JP leading there.

Notahippie
Feb 4, 2003

Kids, it's not cool to have Shane MacGowan teeth
You know, it occurs to me that we've been accidentally roleplaying one of the classic mistakes in SF horror: we've come across this strange anomaly with terrifying undertones and instead of sharing it with the world(s) we're sitting on it to try and squeeze strategic benefit out of it. Has anybody proposed a full info dump with Earth on the Pluto situation? If there really are transdimensional space hentai tentacle monsters waiting to gently caress all of humanity's orifices then maybe the better approach is sharing that information regardless of strategic benefit.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
Sure, but think about what happens if we can repair the Terror Drome and use it for Mars!

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug

Volmarias posted:

Sure, but think about what happens if we can repair the Terror Drome and use it for Mars!

:yeah:

And there's the additional consideration of whether the confirmation of hostile extrasolar life will enact some ten year plan of UT's and cause them to wardec Mars in the interest of unifying humanity for The Greater Good.

Fray
Oct 22, 2010

Also infighting and distrust are, you know, fun.

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

Notahippie posted:

You know, it occurs to me that we've been accidentally roleplaying one of the classic mistakes in SF horror: we've come across this strange anomaly with terrifying undertones and instead of sharing it with the world(s) we're sitting on it to try and squeeze strategic benefit out of it. Has anybody proposed a full info dump with Earth on the Pluto situation? If there really are transdimensional space hentai tentacle monsters waiting to gently caress all of humanity's orifices then maybe the better approach is sharing that information regardless of strategic benefit.

So you'd let the other power ruled by Immortal Putin know that:

1.) We have access to Jump tech
2.) Our Jump tech is better
3.) Our system we just jumped may be as good if not better than the one they claimed
4.) We unlocked an AI on Pluto that is offering humans technology that they don't have

What benefits does Mars get out of sharing all that information? We lose any goddamn edge against UT, and they would likely use their larger, unharmed fleet to take and or deny those assets from us.

It the UT finds the space hentai tentacle monsters before we feel ready to divulge it, so be it! Either they let us know or the Space Nazi's fight them on their own. I highly doubt they are all in the next system over, and if so then we're hosed anyway.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Notahippie posted:

TheWetFish
Mar 30, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

:golfclap:

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

Luna, 12-19th May 2052

A bargain made

The Armistice negotiations continue apace. Eventually, under severe pressure from both Earth and Mars the IC is forced to make major concessions from their original
aims. Vast sums in reparations are to be paid, the majority in financial terms but a significant amount of Trans-Newtonian elements is to be handed over and Titan Free State is to be gifted a large civillian shipyard from Callisto to make up for the losses taken in the second battle of Titan.

Secondly Mars is to annex the Uranian system and the infrastructure there. Those currently living there are welcome to stay and integrate or be returned to Saturn/Jupiter at Martian expense. Most non-military personnel and their dependents opt to stay, wedded more to their jobs in the harvesting industry than to any particlar polity. The IC demands to be able to deconstruct it's defensive network and that is eventually conceded.

Thirdly both other powers are unanimous in their demands that the IC deconstruct its fleet of bombardment ships. The IC seethes but eventually concedes though both other powers quietly acknowledge that it seems likely they will be able to secrete one or two somewhere.

Finally Mars does not interfere as Terra wheels and deals their way into time limited (renewable) leases which allow construction of a limited military outpost and supply station on Titan and rights to harvest their own sorium from Saturn. In return considerable Terran assistance and military advice will be provided to the TFS as they begin to establish their own defensve force. Mars is likewise accorded the same right to establish a base on a much more generous 99 year lease and privately the TFS asks Mars to maintain a force there as a guarantor of Terran intentions.

A future devised

In return for Earth's aid in pressing the IC a deal is eventually struck between Earth and Mars. Both acknowledge the others legitimate claim to one singluar jump point and as part of it Martian negotiators force Earth to give up the location of their own jump point.

Unsurprisingly it is located in the inner system, specifically the asteroid belt near the Terran colony of Pallas. The deal further specifies that any further jump points discovered in Sol will be left open for the use of all and that ownership of any bodies beyond said theoretical jump points will be negotiated with further treaties in the future.

Finally at the urging of Mars a clause is inserted that binds all members to mutual defence in the case of any hostile or immical alien encounter. This raises a few eyebrows on the Terran side but the majority of the delegation dismiss it as the famous Martian paranoia.

One member is perhaps less confused by this than the others, officially not a particularly important member of the Terran delegation he finds some time as the conference is winding up for a quiet word with the Martian ambassador. A small privacy screened tablet is passed across and on it is an enhanced image of Pluto, likely taken from observatories on the dark side of Luna.

Notations from analysts follow after, the observations began after a remarkable astronomical phenomena was sighted on the vector. Thought a purely astrophsical phenomena like a gamma-ray burster or the evaporation of a micro black hole there was initially confusion that the vector was extremely close to Pluto. After the enormous scopes hunting the source of the phenomena were turned on Pluto itself there appeared to be signs of surface activity and at least one unknown ship was sighted traversing across Pluto's face.

A single use com code was also included on the tablet. The implication is clear, someone wants to know what is going on in the depths of the outer system.

Saros fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Sep 12, 2017

Nick Esasky
Nov 10, 2009
uhhhhhh, who said anything about letting UT strongarm the TFS in negotations? ESPECIALLY to the extent of having a base on Titan Itself and Bloody Military Advisors to the TFS? I thought we shot all the UT mercs earlier so they wouldn't have the opportunity to gently caress with the TFS from within, why are we suddenly giving that up now?

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
You guys wanted to respect TFS's self-determination, so maybe respect it and direct your attention to the other matters we have to deal with: aliens and jump points.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012
The TFS are our friends but we must not suffocate them with too tight a bear hug. Treat them well, and they will continue to be on our side. They are doing what they need to in order to get themselves off the ground.

Crazyeyes24
Sep 14, 2014

They also asked us to stay, and gave us a far better deal. Yes we may have to deal with any remnants the purges missed, but we are still their favorite parent.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

Interlude 11 - One fine day in May

14 May, 0330hrs

The Tangaroa returns to Sol without incident other than a repeat of the nasea and disorientation. Some theorise it is worse this time but quantitative measures are hard to come by for such a phenomena. The crew of the Victory are rather disturbed at the Tangaroa's initial refusal to answer hails for nearly two minutes and Gen. 'Crazy' Cryo is about to order the weapons brought online and targeted on the ship when the crew finally recovers.

Their news is reciewed with much jubilation and they begin the transmission to Mars, Veloxyl Jr includes a query as to whether he can use the single long range probe the ship carries to get a closer look at the oddities around the fifth planet. It takes nearly an hour and a half for the tightbeam radio signals to reach Mars and it is four more hours before the response comes. Permission is given to scout the planet with the probe but not to proceed insystem until a proper exploration team can be assembled.

The Tangaroa comes about an engages her jump drive, falling out of the normal universe for the third time of the day. This time the transition seems to take longer in subjective time for nearly all the crew and is more 'turbulent' if it could possibly be described in such terms.

After returning to his senses and shaking himself out of what felt almost like a bad dream Veloxyll Jr orders the probe launched. It rattles away along its hastily converted launch tube and sails insystem.

The journey takes several hours even the probes velocity but slowly the image improves until the full scale of and grandeur of the planets 'rings' can be seen.

It takes the breath away from every member of the crew and to a man they crowd around screens or their devices following the feed as the probe closes with the planet.

The planet is shrouded by a staggeringly unimaginably vast conglomeration of artificial debris churned a thousand times over by orbital motion, depending on the timescale involved the field must have contained many times as much material at first. Evidence of this is apparent on the surface, it is covered in scars and glittering plains where for (Millenia? Eons?) a silvery hail has fallen from the sky to form vast tracks across the planets surface.

Veloxyl Jr eventually recovers enough to order the techs to divert the probe slightly to fly close by one of the enormous spires that can be seen rising from the less scarred portion of the planet.

The probe slowly loses contact as it nears the atmosphere and the quality of the returning images gets worse and worse. Finally transmissions cease but not before a final image showing gigantic towers reaching from the surface out of the planets atmosphere returns to the Tangaroa.

The planet is clearly some sort of ruin or vast graveyard as it is completely dark across the electromagnetic spectrum. Veloxyll Jr, being one of the few on the ship in the know about Pluto's secret wonders if this is the alien facilities famed 'Collaboration' or if they have discovered something else entirely.

Shaken deeply by the sheer scale of what he has seen and how pathetically small any human construct measures when stood alongside it Veloxyll Jr orders a return to Sol to relay the news.

The Tangaroa slides gently into the area of distorted space and begins to spin up her jump drive. The universe falls away in what is almost becoming a familar sensation but then he is, impossibly, aware of the rest of the crew. He feels them, senses them somehow scattered around him in a small bubble of reality which suddenly feels so terribly terribly fragile.

Beyond that is nothing, but... something.

Slowly he begins to sense another presence, far beyond the precious soap bubble containing his ship and crew, something raw and primal yet older than everything that ever was. Horrifying visions assault him of destruction, rebirth and destruction again. Of terrible clamor and a universe gone mad and a wavering cloth of reality that folds, just so.

It sees him.

Saros fucked around with this message at 11:13 on Sep 12, 2017

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012
We're hosed

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

LIBERA ME INFERNA

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

What's the armor value on Cthulhu?

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.
But ma'am! Jones' only crime was looking at the wrong files!
I beg of you, don't ship away Jones, he has a wife and kids!

-United Nations Intelligence Service

I CAN FEEL THE WARP OVERTAKING ME, IT IS A GOOD PAIN!

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
Hopefully all the super weapons on Pluto are designed to deal with stuff like that.

Crazyeyes24
Sep 14, 2014

Well it only SAW him, it didn't eat him or the crew or possess the ship...

Yet.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Space google: How to kill space gods?

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
Yeah, I'd say our petty squabbles have been utterly eclipsed.

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd
I think some sort of Mars-Terra union is clearly needed to combat that which lays....beyond.

Perhaps using a two headed eagle as our emblem to appeal to old Vlad.

Fray
Oct 22, 2010

We... might want to have a chat with Facility.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
Facility did say there is another intelligence in sidespace. Perhaps it has infected most reaches that jump points and wormholes travel through.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
This is fine.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
Instituting rules against rapid consecutive jumps might be a good idea.

CoffeeQaddaffi
Mar 20, 2009

mossyfisk posted:

Yeah, this has been super quick for the jumps. There could be nothing and Veloxyl Jr is just getting the Jump Sickness.

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

Guys relaaaax

TheWetFish
Mar 30, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
If we did ever want to deliberately contact, that, then we now have a potential tentacle mechanism for getting in touch

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

mossyfisk posted:

Um that's a weird way to say "we should keep jumping back and forth until Azathoth starts talking to us."

Hurricane Irma has now stopped trying to kill me, and the power/internet came back just in time to read this update. It's obviously divine providence, and Azathoth is real and strong
a͝n̢d ̢he͘'́s m̡y ̶fr͏ie͝nd.͏ B͈̮͉̥̹̼̟E̷̛̝H҉̬̳O̢̫̙͡L̻̬͜D̠̰͘ ̧̩̜͔͖̗̗̬͟ͅO͕̖͍̬̻̩̙̼U͏̖̕R͔̣̲͈̕͝ ̸̗͓̣̗̺̲̫̯̘͘E͎̫͕͚̞̬̙N̵̰̘̬̭D͔̲̩͇͉͈̠̼̘͡

B̛̭̠̹̯͉̗̱͌̓̒͗̀͐̑ͩ̒̃̐̈ͮ͝ͅR̶̢̜͉̖̣͙͔̬͕̲̝ͫ̓ͤ̅̏̓ͭͩͯͬ̏̏ͯ̒̂ͨ̀́I̶͚͚̜̹̤̱̪̻̥̖̝̟̝̺͂̅̓̋̏ͭ̅́̌͋ͤͭͭ͂͘͝ͅN̸̢̡͇͔̣͉̫͖͈̱̹̝̤͓̝͉̟̲̬̯ͪͬ̊̓͆̓ͮ̓ͫ̓̆͌̆ͦ͌͒̓̇͢͢G̵̛̖̰͙̘̜͍̘̙̟͚̹̼̹ͥ͆͂̐̐͒ͤ̍͋̌̃̂ͥ͌ͦͩ ̷̛̛͈̺̜͖̬̤̗̫͔̤͒̍̊̆ͣ̽͆͂̏͋̋̅̃̒ͮ͜Ţ͓͕̠̬̥̪̻̭͙̪̞̲̠̯̲͈̠̰ͩ́͂ͪͦͧ͂̌̚̕͟͟͝H̲̲̥͇͚̮̙̅̓͂͊͛ͣͣͮͪ̽̚͟͝Ȩ̞͇̻͎͉̮̺̪͖͇̮̦̪̍ͪ̍̇ͭͯ͆͝ͅ ̡̟̙͖͔̘̤͖͎̯͖̣̳̻̓ͬ̆̄ͩͪͣ̈́͒͛̆̂̔̎́D̊͛͐ͥ̆͛͑̆̓ͧ́͌̎ͫ̚͘͝͏͎̗̣̤Â̶̔͌̓͊̎͌҉̮͇̲͔̜̘̫̖̝̻͚̝́͠ͅW̥̩̹͖̳͙͔̮̯͈̰͙̪͇ͩ́͌ͯͫ̈́̃ͩ̎̓̏̆́͝ͅN̶̢̡̘̩͚̯͖͕͉̣̰͍̅ͥ͒̂ͤͦ̄ͫ͞

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

mossyfisk posted:

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Synthbuttrange posted:

Space google: How to kill space gods?

what does god need with a starship?

TheWetFish
Mar 30, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

sebmojo posted:

what does god need with a starship?

Why is God angry?

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

My antenna is telling me that you're probably wrong about this.
Soiled Meat
I told you once we went through the jump point it would be wall to wall tentacles. "Tentacles for miles, it'll be tentacles and more tentacles, tentacles all the way down!" I said. "Promote me to Fleet Archon so I can mix us up some tentacle seeking jump missiles!"

Or at least I meant to say that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
I told you Senator Harris had bigger fish to fry but everyone just accused me of being a spy.