Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Binary Badger posted:

and use my x-acto blade to short out the cellular chips got it

You can just not use the cellular part

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Sphyre posted:

who on earth is going to buy the iphone 8?

Between 8 and X about 80 million people

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

I don't know what to do with my 7. I really want to replace it (it gets hot as hell, especially when it's being used while plugged in, and the battery life isn't superb), but I'd probably move up to the 8+ if anything. The pricing on it is just kinda poo poo, not because I can't afford it but just because of its difference versus the X, which seems really disappointing with how that cutout looks in actual use along with the lack of Touch ID. Face ID doesn't seem very good. So it's whether I move up to an 8+ or say gently caress it and pick up an Android of some sort? It'd just be nice to have a the X's form factor without the cutout and a fingerprint sensor on the back.

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away
Hahahah Jesus loving Christ. 1149€ in Germany for the 64GB X. 799€ for the 64GB 8. It used to be 769€ for the 32GB 7 iirc. gently caress that

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

FistEnergy posted:

Almost no one should be paying $500 for a mobile phone, let alone $1200 smdh

It's the same thing with $50,000 cars or $3,000 suits. If it won't break your bank and you'd find it useful, whatever, go for it.

I use my phone for so much I don't mind paying more for it not to piss me off (and an iPhone never has). I'll probably stick with my 7 for another year but, if I thought the X was a worthwhile enough upgrade I'd get it.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

FistEnergy posted:

Almost no one should be paying $500 for a mobile phone, let alone $1200 smdh

Maybe care less about how other people spend their money

eriddy
Jan 21, 2005

sixty nine lmao
What's the use case for a Apple Watch with LTE? When do you have a watch and not your phone? Not hating, just curious.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

eriddy posted:

What's the use case for a Apple Watch with LTE? When do you have a watch and not your phone? Not hating, just curious.

At the beach is #1 for me.

If I'm out on a run and work/family needs to get a hold of me.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

triple sulk posted:

I don't know what to do with my 7. I really want to replace it (it gets hot as hell, especially when it's being used while plugged in, and the battery life isn't superb), but I'd probably move up to the 8+ if anything. The pricing on it is just kinda poo poo, not because I can't afford it but just because of its difference versus the X, which seems really disappointing with how that cutout looks in actual use along with the lack of Touch ID. Face ID doesn't seem very good. So it's whether I move up to an 8+ or say gently caress it and pick up an Android of some sort? It'd just be nice to have a the X's form factor without the cutout and a fingerprint sensor on the back.

Wait for it to be in people's hands for a while before deciding is my advice. The hot take internet reaction ecosystem does not have a good record, particularly when it comes to Apple.

CBD Corndog
Jun 21, 2009

eriddy posted:

You wanna run with a plus sized iPhone in your pocket?

GoldfishStew
Feb 25, 2017

ASK ME ABOUT BEING A GROWNUP WHO FUCKS A REAL DOLL
I am going to try to leave my phone at home way more. I think my watch can do everything now.

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

eriddy posted:

I'd like to go on long runs (read - 8 miles or more) without having to lug a huge smartphone on an armband or belt or something and still be reachable in case of emergency.

Watch with LTE will do just that.

I'm pretty set on getting an Apple Watch

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Agronox posted:

Wait for it to be in people's hands for a while before deciding is my advice. The hot take internet reaction ecosystem does not have a good record, particularly when it comes to Apple.

It's hard to not be hot-takey but I really don't love Touch ID being totally gone.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

eriddy posted:

The only thing I'd use it for would be running or at the gym. But for the 500 bucks to get me there (including headphones) I'm cool just carrying my 6s with standard headphones.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

eriddy posted:

Your kid can play with your phone and you can go do something else and take calls, pay for poo poo etc from your watch.

Solvency
Apr 28, 2008

Trade, sir! Discover it! This is you, this is a clue. Get a clue, discover trade!
On the plus side, stealing an iPhone X is now Grand Theft instead of Petty Theft.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

eriddy posted:

Running/sports is the typical use case.

Also a reminder to everyone who is looking to buy on release day: if you've locked your credit or done a fraud alert because of the Equifax dumpster fire, you'll need to unlock it if you're doing anything but paying full price up front and staying on your existing carrier.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

eriddy posted:

For me it’d be running. I kinda loving hate the armband and the iphone nowadays when I could just have my Watch and AirPods and nothing else.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
heaven forbid you have to go outside without a cellular device.

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
Honestly having my watch play music at the gym or god forbid I run seems pretty great

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Sphyre posted:

Me. It is the exact same device as the iPhone X, except without the unnecessary extra few millimeters of screen space on the top and bottom, the dumb unnecessary FaceID system (complete with ANIMOJIS!!!), and it uses an Arabic numeral instead of a Roman one in its name.

Obviously I'm loving around but it doesn't look like there will be absolutely any difference performance-wise between the X and 8, and very few differences feature and design-wise. I'm actually rather shocked.

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde

Solvency posted:

On the plus side, stealing an iPhone X is now Grand Theft instead of Petty Theft.

unless you live in Virginia where the threshold is $200 so stealing *any* iPhone is grand theft.

Don Lapre posted:

heaven forbid you have to go outside without a cellular device.

Tell that to someone who works on-call and can get fired if they don't pick up.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

TyrantWD posted:

Apple product version 1 is always rough around the edges.

The first Apple Watch was great, subsequent patches made it faster but it was great out of the box. Airpods are great too.

Shammypants fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Sep 12, 2017

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible

Mahoning posted:

Me. It is the exact same device as the iPhone X, except without the unnecessary extra few millimeters of screen space on the top and bottom, the dumb unnecessary FaceID system (complete with ANIMOJIS!!!), and it uses an Arabic numeral instead of a Roman one in its name.

Obviously I'm loving around but it doesn't look like there will be absolutely any difference performance-wise between the X and 8, and very few differences feature and design-wise. I'm actually rather shocked.

It's clear Apple were really pushing things just to get it out this fall, let alone release it with substantive upgrades from the 8. Next year's version will likely be highly polished, and be a huge upgrade in terms of ease of use.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

TyrantWD posted:

. Next year's version will likely be highly polished, and be a huge upgrade in terms of ease of use.

I think this line gets said at every single Apple product launch

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible

mattfl posted:

I think this line gets said at every single Apple product launch

Apple product version 1 is always rough around the edges.

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

Mahoning posted:

I think the size thing is a big selling point. I like having a 5+ inch screen, but i don't like holding my 6s+

Looks like the X has an even bigger screen than the + series while being a smaller form factor. That's pretty nice in my book

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

TyrantWD posted:

It's clear Apple were really pushing things just to get it out this fall, let alone release it with substantive upgrades from the 8. Next year's version will likely be highly polished, and be a huge upgrade in terms of ease of use.

I assume it'll have the rumored TouchID built into the screen that they couldn't get ready for this year's release.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

Mahoning posted:

It's also going to be available in the normal release month vs November, which makes a difference if you're on the Apple Payment/upgrade plan and want to have a release-day phone next year.

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde

fordan posted:

It's also going to be available in the normal release month vs November, which makes a difference if you're on the Apple Payment/upgrade plan and want to have a release-day phone next year.

poo poo, that's a good point, I was thinking of trying that for the first time for the X.

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

I’m upgrading from a 6+ that I have to bend every time I want it to recognize input on the touchscreen. I am excited about preordering an 8 on 9/15.

Jay-V
Nov 8, 2009
I currently have a 6 but I much preferred the design of the 5...should I update to a 6s or an SE? Looks like the only major difference is the front-facing camera, am I missing anything?

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Consummate Professional posted:

Honestly having my watch play music at the gym or god forbid I run seems pretty great

Same. It's not a price I'm willing to pay but it's not asinine, especially for apple enthusiasts.

What I do kinda wanna do is get an iPhone SE now that they're so cheap. My iPhone 6s is too big.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Jay-V posted:

I currently have a 6 but I much preferred the design of the 5...should I update to a 6s or an SE? Looks like the only major difference is the front-facing camera, am I missing anything?

The big thing the SE lacks is the faster touchID and 3d Touch. Otherwise the guts are identical to the 6S.

I like the slower TouchID, personally.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

XyrlocShammypants posted:

The first Apple Watch was great, subsequent patches made it faster but it was great out of the box. Airpods are great too.

Ehh, WatchOS 1 and 2 to a lesser extent were rough going. 3 is great and 4 is better than that, however.

I don't have Airpods, but I do have the Beats headphones with the W1 chip, and even though I don't like "Beats" sound, they're pretty good Wireless headphones and work fantastic with the iPhone and Watch.

I'm tempted to get the LTE watch but it depends on the plan cost. $10 isn't that much more, so I could swing it. Totally getting the iPhone X and 4K Apple TV.

Jay-V
Nov 8, 2009

Snuffman posted:

The big thing the SE lacks is the faster touchID and 3d Touch. Otherwise the guts are identical to the 6S.

I like the slower TouchID, personally.

Ah got it. I actually do find the touchID on my 6 to be painfully slow, but if the SE is the same speed or a little faster I'll take the trade off in cost.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Do any of these phone have Picture-In-Picture for video playback, or is that just an iPad thing?

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Sphyre posted:

Me probably

I think I'll wait for the second edition of the iPhone 10, when face ID works right

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

aBagorn posted:

I think the size thing is a big selling point. I like having a 5+ inch screen, but i don't like holding my 6s+

Looks like the X has an even bigger screen than the + series while being a smaller form factor. That's pretty nice in my book

Yeah and it has the camera features you don't get in a non-plus at that smaller size too, which is nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

I think I'll wait for the second edition of the iPhone 10

I hope they call it the iPhone 9

• Locked thread