Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Friend Commuter
Nov 3, 2009
SO CLEVER I WANT TO FUCK MY OWN BRAIN.
Smellrose

LLSix posted:

You are vastly over-assuming the presence of the Space Illuminati. Only 1 of 3 Triumvirs was in the know.

As far as we know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazyeyes24
Sep 14, 2014

Your good vision is your fatal weakness!
We can't rule out other meta-secret societies that could be opposing the Space Illuminati. Perhaps the IC was an experiment by three of them to try and play power games, who knows!

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Crazyeyes24 posted:

We clearly aren't staring into the abyss enough.

idk feels like the abyss is havin a good old gander

HEY ABYSS

EYES ARE UP HERE

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

The First of the Adorable Dead

Crazycryodude posted:

I doubt they've found anything like this, because this is insane, one-in-a-million level poo poo.

I mean, as far as we know. Could be we find dead alien worlds all over the place.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Pash posted:

I mean, as far as we know. Could be we find dead alien worlds all over the place.

Well, in normal Aurora terms it's unprecedented, at least. Maybe Saros will SM every system to be covered in ruins in the future, but this particular one was pure RNG.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

sebmojo posted:

HEY ABYSS

EYES ARE UP HERE

All personnel stationed near planet facing viewports are required to drop their pants and moon the planet. Take a good look, you alien bastards.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Zaodai posted:

All personnel stationed near planet facing viewports are required to drop their pants and moon the planet. Take a good look, you alien bastards.

GAZE UPON THE BROWN EYE OF TERROR

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell
BUT NOT TOO CLOSELY, LEST YOU WISH BRAVE THE PINK EYE OF CONJUNCTIVITIS

Nevets fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Sep 12, 2017

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Crazycryodude posted:

Well, in normal Aurora terms it's unprecedented, at least. Maybe Saros will SM every system to be covered in ruins in the future, but this particular one was pure RNG.

Can you actually roll alien ruins on that sort of scale in aurora? I know ruins are a thing, but I thought it was more like star trek "we found an abandoned mineshaft near kirk's rock and there's a dude with face paint on in there we have to talk to" kind of thing, not, well, that.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Based on our conversations with the Pluto AI it sounds like Sol was set aside as a nature preserve by a galaxy spanning, Prime Directive following multi-species empire. 'Something' happened and that empire went silent. So not unusual that many/most planets habitable to carbon based lifeforms were colonized at some point in the past and are now abandoned ruins.

I'm hoping it was some sort of mass transcendence event a-la Stargate ascension and any badguys are late arrivals picking over what they left behind, rather than the sleeping conquerors of the galaxy's greatest civilization.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

OwlFancier posted:

Can you actually roll alien ruins on that sort of scale in aurora? I know ruins are a thing, but I thought it was more like star trek "we found an abandoned mineshaft near kirk's rock and there's a dude with face paint on in there we have to talk to" kind of thing, not, well, that.

Ruins can range from dinky little destroyed outposts to massive intact cities. This definitely looks like it's on the high end, and probably at a high tech level, too.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Nevets posted:

I'm hoping it was some sort of mass transcendence event a-la Stargate ascension and any badguys are late arrivals picking over what they left behind, rather than the sleeping conquerors of the galaxy's greatest civilization.

Let's not kid ourselves. From the description of their adversaries, the not-Federation was totally eaten by Azathoth.

I wish to petition that our insignia be replaced with the Elder Sign at earliest conveniencenow.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
Surely as soon as civilian traffic starts going into the system, someone can just point a telescope at planet 5 and see the ring.

We get pretty good pictures of our local planets today.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Nevets posted:

We can try. As soon as Terra hears about us finding an alien boneyard with ridiculously advanced technologies 1 of 2 things is going to happen:

1. They will renege on their wholly owned JP deal and insist on being allowed to study the ruins themselves.

2. They will keep quiet because they also have an abandoned planet in their system full to the brim with goodies.

Best case scenario is exploiting our good fortune as hard and fast as possible so when Terra finds out about it we have as much of a technological edge as possible to dissuade attempts to seize our prize by force.

Er, if that planet has 'alien ruins' via Aurora mechanics... TLDR: you can spend a decade very slowly researching and then digging up ruins and end up with nothing but Magical Space Dildo House-Techno and thousands of useless ECM-1 modules. When what you wanted was Thermonuclear Space Dildo Funk.

So it's probably going to involve more plot-fu than anything else.

sebmojo posted:

HEY ABYSS

EYES ARE UP HERE

Yes, but your brain is down there on the floor.

Priorities.

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

On the other hand, it could be like the old game where I got a fuckload of capacitor techs and ended up with level 20 capacitors at mag-plas tech level.

20cm railguns firing every tick :getin:

Nitis
Mar 22, 2003

Amused? I think not.
We need to exploit this ruined world as quickly as possible. Even if there was nothing operational on the planet (and that's a big if, given the tech level apparent here) the amount of knowledge we would gain materials, engineering, manufacturing, and infrastructure far out weigh the risk. Studying how it was all destroyed would still be a huge boon to scientific progress, if nothing else.

It seems that the largest advantages Terra has over Mars is the amount of tonnage floating out there, and how well entrenched the are around Earth. The sooner we can take advantage of advanced manufacturing, engineering, and materials, the faster we can close (and surpass) that advantage.

Space Cthulhu be damned.

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

That's a good point, I definitely remember quantities of TNEs being recovered from ruins. Would help with repairing the Facility.

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

My antenna is telling me that you're probably wrong about this.
Soiled Meat
We've got to colonize the ruin planet, space tentacles or no.

We've never been able to exercise discretion or restraint. Let's face it. We've only ever been greedy and listless. We grab up everything we can get our filthy mits on. Our only hope against these or any aliens - and the only method we've ever known - is to keep stacking atrocity upon atrocity and hope that we turn out to be the biggest monsters in the end.

This is going to come as a huge surprise to all of you but there was a time when I aspired to encounter a friendly alien race to defect to. I am now coming to the conclusion that all the worthwhile aliens have probably been devoured by the less worthwhile ones.

So I propose we do what we always do, which is grab up everything we can, burn down what we can't grab, then kill anything that looks at us sideways, or die in the attempt.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

What we really need are some proper Space Marines. We'll give these xenos and space demons what-for! :argh:

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
Are we allowed to take a ship through Terra's hole and just look at what's on the other side? I guess they'd want to see what's on our end if we did that though. Gosh. This is nuts.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

GenericOverusedName posted:

Are we allowed to take a ship through Terra's hole and just look at what's on the other side? I guess they'd want to see what's on our end if we did that though. Gosh. This is nuts.

You could try that but it's rather unlikely they've left it unguarded and you wouldn't be able to evade detection. It would also let the cat out of the bag about your jump capabilities.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Can we give them a cake to celebrate the first* extra-solar colony of humanity, and then put a big probe inside the cake to scan their system and haul rear end back to us to report? That seems like the logical plan to me.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Have you considered just... asking if we can send an observer along for the ride?

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Crazycryodude posted:

Have you considered just... asking if we can send an observer along for the ride?

And then we'll put the cake in the observers bag lunch we pack him. Brilliant!

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Saros posted:

You could try that but it's rather unlikely they've left it unguarded and you wouldn't be able to evade detection. It would also let the cat out of the bag about your jump capabilities.

Let's not and say we didn't. Loving the updates.

TheWetFish
Mar 30, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
United Terra think they have something good and it might only be a gas giant while we potentially have something unimaginably good. We don't need to know what they've got because we've somehow already rolled exceptionally high on our system. What would be nice is not cluing them in on the war-inducing value of our system. To that end we shouldn't be trying to peek into their system and implicitly inviting reciprocal actions

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

I doubt Terra offered us exclusive access to this JP without looking at least once, but I'll bet they only glanced long enough to notice the lack of gas giants and the most habitable planet was only slight more hospitable than Mars.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Nevets posted:

I doubt Terra offered us exclusive access to this JP without looking at least once, but I'll bet they only glanced long enough to notice the lack of gas giants and the most habitable planet was only slight more hospitable than Mars.

I'm skeptical of that suggestion too. It didn't take us THAT long to find the ruins. They either have an even bigger find and just want to throw us this bone because we don't know better, or they effectively wrote this off as a defensible location and haven't bothered with scouting it and haven't found any future points yet.

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

I just think that the UT legit didn't have enough time to check out the JP. They only have so many ships so they are taking a reasonable risk to keep the one that they know about and give us the other one. Seeing how they gave up on Uranus they must have found some gas giants in the JP they control.

As for peeking at theirs, they would likely want to see ours as well and I would rather that to occur once we actually have some stuff set up in the system. Just put the martian spies on OT to find out more about the system from their UT assets.

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.
But ma'am! Jones' only crime was looking at the wrong files!
I beg of you, don't ship away Jones, he has a wife and kids!

-United Nations Intelligence Service

HiHo ChiRho posted:

I just think that the UT legit didn't have enough time to check out the JP. They only have so many ships so they are taking a reasonable risk to keep the one that they know about and give us the other one. Seeing how they gave up on Uranus they must have found some gas giants in the JP they control.

As for peeking at theirs, they would likely want to see ours as well and I would rather that to occur once we actually have some stuff set up in the system. Just put the martian spies on OT to find out more about the system from their UT assets.

I believe Saros has said previously that UT just didn't have time to reach this JP.

Sucks to be them!

Neophyte
Apr 23, 2006

perennially
Taco Defender

LostCosmonaut posted:

On the other hand, it could be like the old game where I got a fuckload of capacitor techs and ended up with level 20 capacitors at mag-plas tech level.

20cm railguns firing every tick :getin:

Warthogs...In.....Spaaaaaace!!!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NvIJvPj_pjE

Grizzwold
Jan 27, 2012

Posters off the pork bow!

But in space no one can hear you BRRRRRRRRRT

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC

Dr. Snark posted:

I believe Saros has said previously that UT just didn't have time to reach this JP.

Sucks to be them!

Ah, well then. Let's not try and tip our hand then.

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

I WILL PUT THIS FLAG ON FREAKING EVERYTHING BECAUSE IT IS SYMBOLIC AS HELL SOMEHOW

mossyfisk posted:

We have Pluto under wraps for the moment. But there is 100% no way we can keep Planet 5 a secret.

The aliens are out of the bag.

============
Pluto Dissemination Proposal

I propose that a sanitized documentation of events regarding to The Pluto Incident be released to select UT officials.

Existence of the Pluto Facility is to remain Classified, but details regarding both aliens and space monsters are to be included: framed as transmission between a Martian vessel and the Gate.
The Gate was uncovered by research teams, and launched itself into orbit. As in reality, the AI claimed to be non-functional, but after some time opened a wormhole regardless. This was reasonably construed as an act of aggression by Navy officers onsite, and the Gate was destroyed via bombardment.
============

Yes, they might want to come have a look themselves, that is a risk. And yes, giving the UT knowledge of wormholes may spur their development of stabilized jump points.

But who wants to be the guy who has to explain the existence of extra-dimensional horrors while requesting a reinforcement fleet from Earth?

Edit: As an addendum, we might wish to consider that literally 100% of star systems we have explored contain evidence of alien presence. All of which is dead.

I like this a lot. Simply put, the threat to humanity is too great for UT to not be made aware of it in some respect. For all we know, they have their own information that we lack relating to the incident.

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

Inglonias posted:

I like this a lot. Simply put, the threat to humanity is too great for UT to not be made aware of it in some respect. For all we know, they have their own information that we lack relating to the incident.

No. Do not freely offer information to Putin or UT. When we have the system in our JP settled a bit with infrastructure, a fleet and some defenses we can announce the existence of aliens.

What do they know about it so far? That the IC took over S-T and were to be claiming Pluto. Our story can bounce off of what the UT already knows, that the IC were there, and trying to set up an experimental weapons facility or something there. That is what they are seeing on Pluto and what caused the weird readings they collected.

So what if we lie? It will be payback to the UT who wanted a base "somewhere around Saturn" and decided to plop Space Guantanamo right next to Titan.

Not Alex
Oct 9, 2012

Cut loose before the god eaters show up.
Posting from the past: why are more goons not freaking out about the obviously brain wormed senator? The one that controls all the martian secret police. Like he's totally serving the extradimensional horrors and people are all "haha silly space illuminati and their wacky hijinks."

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009

HiHo ChiRho posted:

No. Do not freely offer information to Putin or UT. When we have the system in our JP settled a bit with infrastructure, a fleet and some defenses we can announce the existence of aliens.

What do they know about it so far? That the IC took over S-T and were to be claiming Pluto. Our story can bounce off of what the UT already knows, that the IC were there, and trying to set up an experimental weapons facility or something there. That is what they are seeing on Pluto and what caused the weird readings they collected.

So what if we lie? It will be payback to the UT who wanted a base "somewhere around Saturn" and decided to plop Space Guantanamo right next to Titan.

100% aggree. Why would anyone want to put all the cards on the table in front of Putin and hope he does the right thing? This man is Hitler only he's actually good at it.

Not Alex
Oct 9, 2012

Cut loose before the god eaters show up.
Aaaaaand caught up to thread... I guess we have more stuff to worry about. But I still feel that the potential alien subborning of the military branch that specializes in sneaking up and doing covertly awful things to people warrants some discussion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

Not Alex posted:

Aaaaaand caught up to thread... I guess we have more stuff to worry about. But I still feel that the potential alien subborning of the military branch that specializes in sneaking up and doing covertly awful things to people warrants some discussion.

Technically we've been dealing with him without realizing it. First, we stopped them from apparently destroying the Facility on Pluto and second we force the Martian special forces to collect the Triumvir, making Harris and the Triumvir have a connection when simply accepting the offer we probably would have been none the wiser.

I mean both out of game/meta knowledge but :shrug: