Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Owers
Nov 13, 2004

I want to be lean and mean.
So weapons will be completely randomised and you won't know what you'll get until your shift starts. That sounds fun and chaotic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Owers posted:

So weapons will be completely randomised and you won't know what you'll get until your shift starts. That sounds fun and chaotic.

I like it. It's easily better than seeing you're stuck with a Splatterscope/Charger/weapon of personal dislike for the rotation and ditching the mode altogether until the next shift.

Smiles
Oct 23, 2012

yeah maybe its a chance for you to learn to be proficient with all weapon types instead of writing a weapon off when you see it in the rotation

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Smiles posted:

yeah maybe its a chance for you to learn to be proficient with all weapon types instead of writing a weapon off when you see it in the rotation

Which has never been my issue with Chargers in Salmon Run, even though I dislike getting stuck with one.

Smiles
Oct 23, 2012

coulda fooled me, what with the complaining about weapons every time grizzco opens with a new set

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Smiles posted:

coulda fooled me, what with the complaining about weapons every time grizzco opens with a new set

Yeaaah, no.

My point of contention is that a large portion of the playerbase do not use the one weapon type which requires more thought than "hold trigger and shoot". Saddling them with said weapon type, in Profreshional no less, often means you're essentially down a player for the duration because they aren't managing well. And even if you do get a player good with one, it's still one wave in three they have it. Even then it's possible it'll skip them altogether :rolldice:.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

I'm going to take those personal items home with me. Do not tell Mr. Grizz.

Smiles
Oct 23, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Yeaaah, no.

My point of contention is that a large portion of the playerbase do not use the one weapon type which requires more thought than "hold trigger and shoot". Saddling them with said weapon type, in Profreshional no less, often means you're essentially down a player for the duration because they aren't managing well. And even if you do get a player good with one, it's still one wave in three they have it. Even then it's possible it'll skip them altogether :rolldice:.

dont worry dude, youll see less of that once you get to profreshional

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
How dare these scrubs not have mastered every weapon type in this children's game about shooting paint

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Smiles posted:

dont worry dude, youll see less of that once you get to profreshional

I think you're delusional if you believe that actually denotes the average quality of player you're grouped with in any game.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
I read that too fast and got excited that the new ranked mode was gun game

Smiles
Oct 23, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I think you're delusional if you believe that actually denotes the average quality of player you're grouped with in any game.

i dunno dude, ive posted my results here before with an end of shift rank of 600+ with any given weapon set despite these supposedly terrible players i probably get grouped up with as well, so forgive me if i really dont see your point

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE

Escobarbarian posted:

How dare these scrubs not have mastered every weapon type in this children's game about shooting paint

This is an interesting argument to have. It's family-friendly for sure, but is Splatoon really that easy for children?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Rexroom posted:

This is an interesting argument to have. It's family-friendly for sure, but is Splatoon really that easy for children?

I'd say probably yes. For Turf Wars, at least. All you have to do is wander around spraying ink everywhere and look fresh, splatting Bad Guys is only for bragging rights.

Smiles posted:

i dunno dude, ive posted my results here before with an end of shift rank of 600+ with any given weapon set despite these supposedly terrible players i probably get grouped up with as well, so forgive me if i really dont see your point

Truly you are the ur-player of Splatoon, setting the standard for all with but one singular experience and all others are nought before thine words.

Owers
Nov 13, 2004

I want to be lean and mean.
I'm actually sincerely excited about this new event, I welcome anything that adds more challenge and chaos to Salmon Run. I wonder what these "personal items" are. I hope it's new things.

Btw, I used to see-saw between Go-Getter and Overachiever a lot in Salmon Run, but once I reached Profreshional I've found it very difficult get demoted. Most players seem a lot more competent in that rank. I think it's less to do with the weapons they use and more about them understanding how the Bosses and wave events work (shooting the missile back at the Drizzler to insta-kill it, staying near the egg basket during Glowflies, etc). We still get defeated half the time, but usually it's in the third wave so my pay doesn't get docked. The only exception is if you're stuck with the Gootuber. Literally the worst weapon in Splatoon 2, no one can use that piece of hot garbage.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

The event is also cool because it makes Salmon Run feel more like a main part of the game.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Lakbay posted:

I read that too fast and got excited that the new ranked mode was gun game

I wish dude

Big Nubbins
Jun 1, 2004
All it takes to get back into Overachiever hell is two really bad groups and one disconnection.

I was just thinking the other day about how cool it would be to have random weapons on Salmon Run, so I'm happy to see Nintendo was on the same wavelength. I hope they have some way of balancing the weapon group as a whole. While 4 rapid blaster would be really fun, 4 goo tubers would be utter poo poo.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Shame Boner posted:

All it takes to get back into Overachiever hell is two really bad groups and one disconnection.

I was just thinking the other day about how cool it would be to have random weapons on Salmon Run, so I'm happy to see Nintendo was on the same wavelength. I hope they have some way of balancing the weapon group as a whole. While 4 rapid blaster would be really fun, 4 goo tubers would be utter poo poo.

I still reckon they should lock two slots to Shooter-types, and randomize the other two (which I half-suspect they do already). Gives you a nice variety, without screwing over a crew with an unfortunate weapon lineup.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
Each slot is probably still a set pool of items.

Also I hope mr. grizz's personal effects are new weapons but they're probably something silly like a polo shirt or drink ticket

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Lakbay posted:

Each slot is probably still a set pool of items.

Also I hope mr. grizz's personal effects are new weapons but they're probably something silly like a polo shirt or drink ticket

I'm guessing they're randomized free Gear rewards. Potentially the entire pool of them and not just the three we've seen already as monthly rewards.

Polish Avenger
Feb 13, 2007
has an invalid opinion.
I feel like disconnection in Salmon Run should be an automatic no paycut. That seems like a layup to me. There's basically no potential for abuse since it's pve and it prevents lovely results that aren't the remaining players faults. Sure, the disconnecter can get what they get, wave 1 loss, whatever it is, but the team shouldn't be expected to make it to wave 3 (even though it's not that unreasonable if you blow all of your specials to do so.

Speaking of specials, inkjet seems a lot less useful, especially as an "oh gently caress" in Salmon run. You're still pretty vulnerable, especially to stingers, and the height gets wonky too. I know you can hit flyfish missile racks when they open if you fire into them (right?). What else is it good for besides mopping up trash?

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Polish Avenger posted:

I feel like disconnection in Salmon Run should be an automatic no paycut. That seems like a layup to me. There's basically no potential for abuse since it's pve and it prevents lovely results that aren't the remaining players faults. Sure, the disconnecter can get what they get, wave 1 loss, whatever it is, but the team shouldn't be expected to make it to wave 3 (even though it's not that unreasonable if you blow all of your specials to do so.

Speaking of specials, inkjet seems a lot less useful, especially as an "oh gently caress" in Salmon run. You're still pretty vulnerable, especially to stingers, and the height gets wonky too. I know you can hit flyfish missile racks when they open if you fire into them (right?). What else is it good for besides mopping up trash?

Inkjet is long range Stinger destruction and the best revive ult for last man standing.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Polish Avenger posted:

You can indeed hit Flyfish missile racks with Inkjet shots. Generally-speaking, it's a few seconds of relative safety from almost every Salmonid threat, and leaves you free to clear away the trash and pick off bosses. It's a good solid general-use Special for Salmon Run.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Owers posted:

shooting the missile back at the Drizzler to insta-kill it

you can WHAT

i knew you could destroy the missile but not this

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Kaubocks posted:

you can WHAT

Stand with the missile between you and the Drizzler, then shoot it. Goes right back at the little fucker.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Stand with the missile between you and the Drizzler, then shoot it. Goes right back at the little fucker.

is that something you can rely on? how long do you have from drizzlers aiming their cannon and firing the missile?

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

Kaubocks posted:

is that something you can rely on? how long do you have from drizzlers aiming their cannon and firing the missile?

Sometimes the missile fires into a wall or off the stage so you cant reliably get behind it, otherwise you have like a second before the cannon fires to see what direction its going to fire , then move in position and take it out before the missile flies up

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I bet the Grizzco items will be shells, since this feels like the Splatfest for Salmon Run

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Kaubocks posted:

you can WHAT

Mr. Grizz gave you an employee manual for a reason

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Escobarbarian posted:

what a stupid take this is, lmao

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Kaubocks posted:

you can WHAT

I know Grizz isn't big on reading, but you should read the SR handbook, it tells you all this stuff. Grizz also mentions it in his post game message when you lose. (Not sure either he or the handbook mention the multiple ways to kill flyfish with specials though.)

You have to have the balloon directly between yourself and the drizzler, then if you shoot it back it will one-shot it. Considering the amount of time you usually have to wait in the right spot for the drizzler to shoot its balloon, though, your time is usually better spent just shooting it directly and deflecting the balloon so it doesn't make a cloud.

Polish Avenger posted:

Inkjet is a great desperation move if things are getting out of hand. It can take out flyfish, stingers, and steel eels pretty easily, and the height gives you a good view/shot at anyone who needs reviving.

raditts fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Sep 13, 2017

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

raditts posted:

what a stupid take this is, lmao

if only I was a smart person who knew that getting angry and spergy about less skilled players in a video game was a cool thing to do

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
You don't really need to have mastered all the weapons to do well with them in Salmon Run. Just shoot at the fish, they're predictable and slow. As long as you're doing that and getting those Golden Egss to the basket, you're contributing a lot, even if you suck with the weapon. The real thing to keep in mind is making good judgement calls and having knowledge of some of the special waves.

Kaubocks posted:

This one is actually kind of an issue, because this particular "quick kill" isn't really reliable. Sometimes the missile is fired at an angle that makes it impossible to get the reflect kill, and other times you just can't line up the shot in time. The other thing to keep in mind is that shooting down the missile will cause the Drizzler to hide under its umbrella a lot earlier than it would have if you just left the missile alone. So if your teammates are currently taking down the Drizzler, and you can't like up the shot, it's probably best to wait a bit before shooting down the missile. But if no one is going after the Drizzler, just shoot the missile. You don't need the rain cloud making things more difficult.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Escobarbarian posted:

if only I was a smart person who knew that getting angry and spergy about less skilled players in a video game was a cool thing to do

Oh yes, this thread is just overflowing with A N G E R Y
It is very difficult to gain a basic understanding of all four weapon types of this children's game for children

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

MY DOODOO IS SPRAYING OUT

Owers posted:

Judd acknowledges this as a feature in Splatoon 1, it's supposed to indicate that someone really, REALLY wants to super jump to you once they respawn. You should either hold back until they do, or go find a secluded area so you can hide their jump beacon and let them super jump safely. I try to do this whenever I can in ranked games.

Oh interesting. thank you

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

When did spergy become the catch all "I don't like your posting" insult

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Zelder posted:

When did spergy become the catch all "I don't like your posting" insult

About 15 years ago

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Thread how about we talk about the Salmon Run event instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
I'm excited