Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

Wheat Loaf posted:

I don't know what the most 90s of all the big 90s summer blockbusters are, but I think Twister is up there. I was five when Twister came out and I saw it on video at a friend's house, and for so many years afterwards I was convinced that the tornado they're chasing was supposed to be the same one that killed Helen Hunt's characters father in the prologue back to finish the job.

Obviously a tornado cant come back and "hunt your children down!" but you're completely right that the way the movie kind of pans out that its almost implies that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Frankston posted:

I watched the 1998 Godzilla film the other day because it was on TV, and kid me loved the poo poo out of the film.

Adult me realised it's total loving garbage though and now I understand all the criticism it got.

17 year old me was working my first job, it was a theater, and they set aside 4 out of 11 screens to strictly show that on opening weekend. It flopped so hard it was down to one screen by Wednesday.

Blockbusters in general have gone the way of the dodo since the 90's. I remember that there was almost always some kind of film opening with a lot of hype nearly every weekend from May until October, and there would be lines around the buildings.

The last true blockbuster I remember existing was that last Matrix movie. I suspect that was the first major blow, as there were two major letdowns from that franchise in the same year, and most people were willing to overlook the second one if there was a good payoff. Followed closely by streaming, and the profitability of infinite (mostly Marvel) sequels has killed that.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I reckon Harry Potter had a role in finishing it off as well - every single movie in that series was either the number-one or number-two most successful worldwide release at the end of the year it came out, so you had this scramble to try and turn everything into the next big YA adaptation franchise or mega-serial kind of thing.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Well, and now the Marvel CU, and an assured Star War every year, pretty much kills the idea that you can compete on terms of "Mega blockbusters".

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Neito posted:

Well, and now the Marvel CU, and an assured Star War every year, pretty much kills the idea that you can compete on terms of "Mega blockbusters".

Yeah, and this summer being the worst since I think 1992, is probably due to that. Movies as a whole have been paint by numbers since the Marvel CU, I suspect that one of the hidden factors in the alchemy has been the switch to digital.

I remember in the 90's you'd get all kinds of trickles of information about the production of movies for over a year before release creating all kinds of hype. Then, you'd start getting the trailers, some as early as January for the summer releases. By the time it opened, you had to catch it in theaters, because otherwise you'd have to wait at least 9 months to rent it at Blockbuster.

All that time everything was done in analog and required a lot of time, and time costs money. Now that most movies are done entirely in digital, sent to theaters in digital, and pushed out to home release in digital, you can accomplish all that in under a year's time. Going to the movies has become more of an on a whim type thing for me, because if I miss one I wanted to see in June, I can get the Blu-Ray by September.

I suspect part of the success of the infinite sequel model is you don't have the year+ hype machine to convince someone who's got a boring Saturday afternoon to see the newest Iron Man.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I used to get really, really, really enthusiastic for new blockbusters and buy into all the hype and be obsessed with the merchandise (tie-in magazines, "junior" novelisations with photos in the middle etc.) then never actually go to see them in the cinema.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

We should probably be pretty thankful that the Marvel CU films are all generally good to great in quality (For what they are) as them dominating and destroying the blockbuster could have been so much worst if they were just garbage drivel.

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

Wheat Loaf posted:

I don't know what the most 90s of all the big 90s summer blockbusters are, but I think Twister is up there. I was five when Twister came out and I saw it on video at a friend's house, and for so many years afterwards I was convinced that the tornado they're chasing was supposed to be the same one that killed Helen Hunt's characters father in the prologue back to finish the job.

Twister had a great soundtrack. That was a big 90's thing for me - mediocre films with good music. Godzilla, Batman & Robin, Judgement Night, So I Married an Axe Murderer, etc.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Nutsngum posted:

We should probably be pretty thankful that the Marvel CU films are all generally good to great in quality (For what they are) as them dominating and destroying the blockbuster could have been so much worst if they were just garbage drivel.

Yeah, they're pretty generic but they're done well and actually funny. I enjoy watching them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XnjM8xllPTs

chitoryu12 has a new favorite as of 15:19 on Sep 13, 2017

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I don't know if it's fair to blame Marvel when the problem is everybody else copying them. I mean, you can blame them, but usually if you blame somebody for something it's because of some sort of positive action on their part, isn't it? :shrug:

Is Mission Impossible the only action movie franchise that started in the 90s and is still getting movies made today?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I don't blame Marvel at all. Marvel was just the ones that happened to create the right kind of movies for the modern movie market.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
It's sort of weird to think of how, for almost 40 years, the gold standard in movie franchises where it has a sequential release every couple of years regular as clockwork and they all make a decent amount of money for their budgets (even the less-successful entries) was James Bond, when James Bond as a film series at this point is probably better known for its persistent behind-the-scenes problems and generally following up successes with disappointments. Sony wanted Spider-Man and pursued Spider-Man hard because they couldn't get James Bond.

GoldenEye and Tomorrow Never Dies are both incredibly 90s but in very different ways. The former is the post-Cold War movie while the latter is the attempt to reconcile Bond to the new style of Mission Impossible type action movies where it was all high-tech and the enemies weren't the communists any more but they weren't the terrorists yet either.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Wheat Loaf posted:

I don't know if it's fair to blame Marvel when the problem is everybody else copying them. I mean, you can blame them, but usually if you blame somebody for something it's because of some sort of positive action on their part, isn't it? :shrug:

Is Mission Impossible the only action movie franchise that started in the 90s and is still getting movies made today?

James Bond films have been happening for far longer.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Wheat Loaf posted:

I feel as though big standalone action or disaster movies like Twister were the big box office blockbusters of the 90s or at least the second half of the decade - e.g. Independence Day, The Rock, Deep Impact, Armageddon, Air Force One etc. - but I don't feel like you really get movies like that now unless they're part of a franchise or are intended to start a franchise.

Somewhere, a Hollywood executive just started planning a Disaster Movie Cinematic Universe.

(I tried coming up with a description for what the big team-up movie would be like, but it was basically Sharknado)

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Sir Lemming posted:

Somewhere, a Hollywood executive just started planning a Disaster Movie Cinematic Universe.

(I tried coming up with a description for what the big team-up movie would be like, but it was basically Sharknado)

It would probably end up like the Universal's attempt to make a cinematic universe for its classic monsters: negative reviews across the board and the first movie getting removed from the canon before the second even releases.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Sir Lemming posted:

Would its "showrunner" be Michael Bay or Roland Emmerich?

President Morgan Freeman discovers that the aliens from Independence Day were behind Armageddon so he sends in a team of action scientists (led by Bill Paxton resurrected by Rogue One style CGI) to attack their secret base underneath the volcano from Dante's Peak and the post-credits stinger reveals that the true power behind the throne was the evil meteorologist from Twister who Cary Elwes played.

Wheat Loaf has a new favorite as of 21:44 on Sep 13, 2017

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Iron Crowned posted:

Yeah, and this summer being the worst since I think 1992, is probably due to that. Movies as a whole have been paint by numbers since the Marvel CU, I suspect that one of the hidden factors in the alchemy has been the switch to digital.

I remember in the 90's you'd get all kinds of trickles of information about the production of movies for over a year before release creating all kinds of hype. Then, you'd start getting the trailers, some as early as January for the summer releases. By the time it opened, you had to catch it in theaters, because otherwise you'd have to wait at least 9 months to rent it at Blockbuster.

All that time everything was done in analog and required a lot of time, and time costs money. Now that most movies are done entirely in digital, sent to theaters in digital, and pushed out to home release in digital, you can accomplish all that in under a year's time. Going to the movies has become more of an on a whim type thing for me, because if I miss one I wanted to see in June, I can get the Blu-Ray by September.

Don't forget that when movies were still o tape, or film or whatever, all the nerds that would line up a week before the opening date, because after the first showing, subsequent ones didn't have the same picture quality.

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

The first time I saw Deep Impact was a couple years after it came out an my parents taped in on TV. For some reason, I only watched half of it at once, so I thought it was a tv miniseries for the longest time.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

chitoryu12 posted:

It would probably end up like the Universal's attempt to make a cinematic universe for its classic monsters: negative reviews across the board and the first movie getting removed from the canon before the second even releases.

As I recall they actually that Dracula Untold movie from 2014 or so pegged as the starter but negotiations and stuff stalled so long they just started fresh.

The problem they had and DC had is they wanted this whole thing from the start and planned way too loving far ahead and poo poo their pants with, ya know, actually making that first movie not be a garbage fart. Marvel had the foresight to make Iron Man really really good and use that as their foundation.

If the Mummy was a really fun and awesome movie then I'd be all for a Monster Mash movie or whatever.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Wheat Loaf posted:

Jurassic Park

Edit: Also if you count Pitch Black (2000) as ‘90s, which some are wont to do, then it is also getting movies made.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

yeah the 90s ended after 9/10/01

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

OldTennisCourt posted:

As I recall they actually that Dracula Untold movie from 2014 or so pegged as the starter but negotiations and stuff stalled so long they just started fresh.

The problem they had and DC had is they wanted this whole thing from the start and planned way too loving far ahead and poo poo their pants with, ya know, actually making that first movie not be a garbage fart. Marvel had the foresight to make Iron Man really really good and use that as their foundation.

If the Mummy was a really fun and awesome movie then I'd be all for a Monster Mash movie or whatever.

Iron Man also wasn't written for the MCU. An Iron Man movie had been in some attempt at getting made since 1990 when Universal bought the rights, and decided to make the movie with Jon Favreau as a completely independent feature with nothing to reboot (unlike Spider-Man, which already had the Sam Raimi film series). The script was unfinished when filming began and large parts of the dialogue were improvised on the spot.

Marvel had plans before its release to make a series of films with a shared universe, but the success of Iron Man actually let them go forward with that project. If Iron Man bombed, they likely would have just dropped everything and gone back to the drawing board.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

OldTennisCourt posted:

They'd finished most of it then went back and added in scenes with Charles Dance's character when they decided this would be the springboard for the Universal Monsters Shared Cinematic Universe.

I haven't seen the new version of the Mummy (the first two Brendan Fraser ones were good fun) but one thing all the bad reviews mentioned was that there's an over-long scene in the middle of the movie - a movie that's supposed to be about the Mummy - where the heroes have to fight Mr Hyde, because shared cinematic universe world-building. It's putting the cart before the horse basically.

(The stuff in Batman v Superman where Batman has a nightmare where Flash shows up to warn him about the plot of the next movie was the same way for me.)

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

chitoryu12 posted:

Iron Man also wasn't written for the MCU. An Iron Man movie had been in some attempt at getting made since 1990 when Universal bought the rights, and decided to make the movie with Jon Favreau as a completely independent feature with nothing to reboot (unlike Spider-Man, which already had the Sam Raimi film series). The script was unfinished when filming began and large parts of the dialogue were improvised on the spot.

Marvel had plans before its release to make a series of films with a shared universe, but the success of Iron Man actually let them go forward with that project. If Iron Man bombed, they likely would have just dropped everything and gone back to the drawing board.

I'd say it was a bit more planned than that given the end credits stinger where Nick Fury literally says "You're part of a bigger universe". You're probably right that if the movie didn't do well they'd call a mulligan but that 30 second stinger shows a fair amount of foresight.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I think the last action movie in the 90s that a) most felt like it was a holdover from the 80s; and b) was very successful must have been Air Force One.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

RagnarokAngel posted:

I'd say it was a bit more planned than that given the end credits stinger where Nick Fury literally says "You're part of a bigger universe". You're probably right that if the movie didn't do well they'd call a mulligan but that 30 second stinger shows a fair amount of foresight.

They definitely wanted to do it, but they kept Iron Man contained to itself and went so far as to keep the stinger a secret until release.

One advantage of the MCU films so far is that until they built up a successful and established universe, each story was pretty self-contained and worked as its own movie when divorced of the continuity.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

chitoryu12 posted:

They definitely wanted to do it, but they kept Iron Man contained to itself and went so far as to keep the stinger a secret until release.

One advantage of the MCU films so far is that until they built up a successful and established universe, each story was pretty self-contained and worked as its own movie when divorced of the continuity.

Not to mention Iron Man had a sequel by the time Thor and Captain America got their "origin" films. Iron Man was pretty much a backdoor pilot for the rest of the MCU.

I think part of the reason it worked is Iron Man, Thor, and Captain America all had minor name recognition, but most people wouldn't know much else. DC's big disadvantage is that their characters are too well known, and most people have some kind of personal attachment to them. Yes, I have met people that hate the MCU because of their attachment to certain characters, but they were all B or C Team, so the majority of people could form something new.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Imagine how different it would've been if they'd gotten Tom Cruise to play Iron Man as I believe was under consideration for a time. He probably would've tried to change it a lot. Was Cruise still Mr Scientology in 2008 or had that quieted down by then (I remember Tropic Thunder being the movie where everyone realised Tom Cruise was still a pretty good actor).

MCU didn't really become The Big Thing where every movie's treated as an event until after Avengers 1 in any case.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0P9HCPAEc48

here it is, the most 90s thing

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Iron Crowned posted:

Not to mention Iron Man had a sequel by the time Thor and Captain America got their "origin" films. Iron Man was pretty much a backdoor pilot for the rest of the MCU.

I think part of the reason it worked is Iron Man, Thor, and Captain America all had minor name recognition, but most people wouldn't know much else. DC's big disadvantage is that their characters are too well known, and most people have some kind of personal attachment to them. Yes, I have met people that hate the MCU because of their attachment to certain characters, but they were all B or C Team, so the majority of people could form something new.

One thing I really like with MCU is they've completely skipped an origin film for Spider-Man because good loving lord we do not need a third one of those.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Iron Crowned posted:

This was because they really tripped up with Hulk so rather than go into Thor immediately (a hero with some recongition but not an A-lister) they used Iron Man 2 to retreat and build up some good will again. It worked, too.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

RagnarokAngel posted:

This was because they really tripped up with Hulk so rather than go into Thor immediately (a hero with some recongition but not an A-lister) they used Iron Man 2 to retreat and build up some good will again. It worked, too.

Hulk was tripped up from the start with how terrible the previous Hulk movie had been.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

And unfortunately Universal still retains the rights to a stand-alone Hulk film, which means until they learn to play nice with Marvel it's not going to happen.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
I'm actually looking forward to Thor Ragnarok, because it's pretty clear they originally had something dour and serious planned from the "visions" in Thor: The Dark World and have just tossed all that poo poo in the bin in favour of having some goddamn fun instead :munch:.

mds2
Apr 8, 2004

Australia: 131114
Canada: 18662773553
Germany: 08001810771
India: 8888817666
Japan: 810352869090
Russia: 0078202577577
UK: 08457909090
US: 1-800-273-8255

Yes it is.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I'm actually looking forward to Thor Ragnarok, because it's pretty clear they originally had something dour and serious planned from the "visions" in Thor: The Dark World and have just tossed all that poo poo in the bin in favour of having some goddamn fun instead :munch:.

If I remember correctly, the "He's a friend from work!" line was from a Make A Wish kid.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
In about 1994, Disney released a Mickey Mouse rap album called Mickey Unrapped, featuring songs like "Whatta Mouse" - a cover of "Whatta Man" by Salt-N-Pepa in which Minnie Mouse raps about how she knows Mickey will never cheat on her.

This was the album art:

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I still laugh like a moron at "I know him from work!"

To get back on track, I feel like the 90s was the era where fads started hitting like this weird critical speed where you almost had to be on top of them before they happened or you were already too late.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

Wheat Loaf posted:

In about 1994, Disney released a Mickey Mouse rap album called Mickey Unrapped, featuring songs like "Whatta Mouse" - a cover of "Whatta Man" by Salt-N-Pepa in which Minnie Mouse raps about how she knows Mickey will never cheat on her.

This was the album art:

Either Mickey is wearing two sets of pants there or he has been wearing undewear only for the last 90 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trebek
Mar 7, 2002
College Slice
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l06KEWCcnQE