Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Does anyone know if there is a cheif engineer type character? Seems to be the one archetype really missing. I think I heard the Norm MacDonald blob guy might be the engineer?

Norm MacDonald is too much of a flake to be given a permenant, regular character. Seth MacFarlane even tried it once in Family Guy for a minor character and eventually had to change Death to Adam Carolla.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

You were right Isaac is also cheif of engineering.

But as for repair that has a total different cheif. Someone on Reddit posted a picture of his pad when he is looking at the officer manifest.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Rigel posted:

Norm MacDonald is too much of a flake to be given a permenant, regular character.

Mike Tyson seems to be doing ok with him.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Al Borland Corp. posted:

You were right Isaac is also cheif of engineering.

But as for repair that has a total different cheif. Someone on Reddit posted a picture of his pad when he is looking at the officer manifest.

Chief

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Al Borland Corp. posted:

I really want there to be one scene where the Orville gets really damaged and there's a repair tech who gets one throwaway line - and just happens to be played by Scott Bakula.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Zurui posted:

I really want there to be one scene where the Orville gets really damaged and there's a repair tech who gets one throwaway line - and just happens to be played by Scott Bakula.

Only if he gets a musical number about wishing Ziggy would leap him home.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Cojawfee posted:

Only if he gets a musical number about wishing Ziggy would leap him home.

:(

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I hope Patrick Stewart shows up as like a janitor and someone says at the end of his scene "holy crap you look just like the guy from Star trek!"

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I think there's some natural tension between outright parody, which is funny but has short legs, and sci-fi adventure with jokes, which might be more risky in joke value but has more space to explore.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Arglebargle III posted:

more space to explore.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Al Borland Corp. posted:

I hope Patrick Stewart shows up as like a janitor and someone says at the end of his scene "holy crap you look just like the guy from Star trek!"

ancient earth television program Star Trek: The Next Generation

It was like an early holoprogram

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
Programming note:

There will be a new episode this Sunday and then the show moves to it's Thursday night slot at 9pm EST on 9/21.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Woo two in one week! This makes up for no Rick and Morty week before last.

Thursday night slot isn't bad. At least it's not the Friday Night Death Slot.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Thursday night? That's suicide, they'll have to go up against Cheers and The Cosby Show!

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
And football still, haha.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

CPColin posted:

And football still, haha.

The competition will be a lot easier regardless. It's Thursday football.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Yeah, and at least now FOX won't preempt itself on the East Coast if a game goes crazy long.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Mister Kingdom posted:

Programming note:

There will be a new episode this Sunday and then the show moves to it's Thursday night slot at 9pm EST on 9/21.

Maybe they can do the standard Fox thing where it's on a random night at a random time and then it gets cancelled because no one was watching for some strange reason.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

I mean I think it is hillarious the gay character is the straight man.

( Bortus belongs to an all male species and has a mate.)

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Please tell me this is old man makeup and you didn't just ruin my entire loving week.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Yes, that's how he looks with no makeup and sad/tired posture. Dude is 62. In real life he carries him self a lot better and does not seem at all depressing.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

bunnyofdoom posted:

I mean I think it is hillarious the gay character is the straight man.

( Bortus belongs to an all male species and has a mate.)

If they're all one sex, how can they even be called male? They wouldn't even have the concept until they met other races. I get that it's shorthand, but they really should've said masculine and not male.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

turn left hillary!! noo posted:

If they're all one sex, how can they even be called male? They wouldn't even have the concept until they met other races. I get that it's shorthand, but they really should've said masculine and not male.

Thank you for killing my joke

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

But they have met other races

HORATIO HORNBLOWER
Sep 21, 2002

no ambition,
no talent,
no chance

I love Scott Bakula and I don't care who knows it

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
He just misses his old Camaro and his mansion in Van Nuys.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I finally got to watch the premiere and the Star Trek thread was right that it's okay. It didn't burn all the goodwill I have for it but it'll need to shape up before I just stop watching.

How!
Oct 29, 2009

Seth mcfarlane is way too fat and old for this role.

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up

How! posted:

But grandpa Tom Cruise gets to be in the Mummy and bang a 29 year old

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

How! posted:

He's only 43 years old :confused:

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

How! posted:

Yeah, how on earth does he think that is an acceptable way to play basically Captain Kirk?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

HORATIO HORNBLOWER posted:

I love Scott Bakula and I don't care who knows it

Scott Blackula is great.

kickascii
Mar 30, 2010
I was all ready to be disappointed, but wow. This first episode was a lot of fun. I suppose if someone wasnt familiar with TNG they wouldnt get it and probably be annoyed. But this thing scratches a nostalgia itch I didnt know I had.

How many episodes are guaranteed??

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
they made 13 but if it's really bad FOX might cancel it without even airing all they made. but in the current year we will probably get to see them all eventually anyways

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

bunnyofdoom posted:

Thank you for killing my joke

I live to serve.

Al Borland Corp. posted:

But they have met other races

Even then, I mean here we go with biological sex vs. gender expression, but they can't be strictly "male" no matter how masculine they appear to be.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Even then, I mean here we go with biological sex vs. gender expression, but they can't be strictly "male" no matter how masculine they appear to be.

If they identify as male I don't think it's your place to say they can't be.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Sinteres posted:

If they identify as male I don't think it's your place to say they can't be.

Identifying as masculine or a man is different from being biologically male. Words still mean things.

FabioClone
Oct 3, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Identifying as masculine or a man is different from being biologically male. Words still mean things.

In the year 2401 or whatever, they had to change the meaning because people kept being pedantic dicks about it.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
This is the worst discussion about Orville yet

Although there is some food for thought to be had about his (yes HIS) species when it's not about semantic pronoun poo poo. If they pair up, presumably they mix genes, so I guess they're hermaphrodites with both sets of genitalia, but who lays the egg in the preview? I can only think that for the purpose of sex one of them decided to be the egg-bearing female

Microplastics fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Sep 14, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I am really loving sorry I started this in my haste to make a gay character playing straight man role joke