Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Warhawk109
Mar 13, 2017

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

To be perfectly fair I could probably fake that as well with greasemonkey, or a host file redirect, or some clever editing, but welcome to the post-factual society where the only things that are true are the things that we want to believe are true.

Well yes, I just think there really isn't anything the refunder can do to satisfy these people proof wise. They'll put up a fuss no matter what he puts up. They're just being unreasonable because they don't want it to be true.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Spectrum Account Page posted:

Referral Contest!

Earn a free trip to GamesCom 2017 and other great rewards with our all new RSI 2017 Referral Contest! Please note that contest rewards will only be awarded after Aug 8th 2017.

heh

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

The Titanic posted:

Publishers make games actually happen.

The most ironic part about all of Star Citizen is that the whole of its reason for existence was to justify that publishers are bad and evil (because Chris Roberts wasn't trusted by any with the project).

And all SC is doing is proving how critically important a publisher is who can actually motivate a team to build a product on time (within reason), and within their budget.

Good job, Chris. You did it. :allears:

So if I'm reading this right...

quote:

-We, Christ Roberts Space Emporium, fuckin' hate publishers. They are mean and make me actually do things.

-We pledge to give you the same respect we would give a publisher.

-We will give you the respect you deserve.

Why did anyone at any point expect honesty, respect, or like, a game? Chris Roberts has a near-perfect history of tripping over his own dick, never finishing anything, pissing off the people who pay him, and bankrupting companies, And here it is right here, in writing.

Mr Fronts
Jan 31, 2016

Yo! The Mafia supports you. But don't tell no one. Spread the word.

HycoCam posted:

Cloud Imperil Games has given me a huge appreciation for game publishers.

Kind of makes me appreciate just how hard-nosed Frontier Developments had to be when initially getting Elite out the door.

The internal pressure to "keep adding just one more thing" must have been immense. They self-published, so no external voice of reason/compromise/reality existed.

FD went from "backer Alpha" through to "initial release" in 12 months, and had a bunch of really difficult go-or-no-go decisions to navigate throughout the latter part of the process in 2014.

- Offline Mode was a promise from late in the kickstarter process, before they were over the line. Their project team eventually threw up their hands and said, "you know what, this offline mode needs a second parallel game core, which will eat our focus and resources". They made the call to chop it and focus on just ONE game core.

- A million "cool" mechanics that were proposed, discussed and often expected, but which simply did not exist in late 2014.

- A million more "essential" mechanics that were super-basic in their implementation.

FD are still unravelling the giant, tangled ball of string that is their game world, with layered extensions, unconnected additions, odd early implementations and so on. This is the future the internal purists would have been shouting about, with dire prophetic warnings of mess, frustration and so on.

But...

Elite Dangerous exists. Frontier Developments is a going concern with several real self-published products.

Having no publisher making the HARD decisions means someone internal has to be the one capable of making the hard decisions.

Because somebody certainly has to do it.

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

:chanpop:

StarbloodKiss
Feb 3, 2016

Why is the entire cargo hold full with crates of Krogan Krackers?
Its a lot of cash, but if it is a guild, then maybe its large enough that the amount to chip in isn't too high. It'd have to be a pretty big guild though. Just to make it $500 per person it would have to have at least 90 people. I think the more important thing to notice is that if it is that large, or larger, all those people would've had to collectively agree that waiting for SC is no longer possible.

If thats the case, along with everything else we've seen lately, it does look like the ELE is nigh.

StarbloodKiss fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Sep 14, 2017

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

Daym he posted video proof too. Nice refund, citizen

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

StarbloodKiss posted:

Its a lot of cash, but if it is a guild, then maybe its large enough that the amount to chip in isn't too high. It'd have to be a pretty big guild though. Just to make it $500 per person it would have to have at least 90 people.

What kind of insane video game guild do you have to have to have a guild credit card and poo poo?

StarbloodKiss
Feb 3, 2016

You'd be surprised. Some people are just really charismatic. There was this guy named Buzzcutpsycho on Planetside\Planetside 2 who had a legion of followers. He reminded me of Mancow (the radio guy).

I would look around the SC forums and see if theres any orgs announcing their disassociation with SC and go from there. It shouldn't be too hard to pin down though if its that large.

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

You should have backed Transverse!

Ramadu posted:

What kind of insane video game guild do you have to have to have a guild credit card and poo poo?

Sturm Grenadier was at one point that kind of guild--not sure what they are like now.

StarbloodKiss
Feb 3, 2016

HycoCam posted:

Sturm Grenadier was at one point that kind of guild--not sure what they are like now.

Dude, SG was loving badass though. I love those guys.

But basically, the guild in question in this case would have to be made up of 18+ (probably a lot of people in their 30s) with some cash to sling.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Beet Wagon posted:

Rickrolls and airplane hentai ITT? God drat I hope I get my power back soon. My probatin' finger is itchy.

Stahp. Just stahp. Now. Or ill atart linking the things i put in discord. Full size.

Berious
Nov 13, 2005
Didn't see this posted http://massivelyop.com/2017/09/11/star-citizens-chris-roberts-is-fed-up-with-giving-3-0-release-estimates/

300+ comments to a short article but sadly it's not a good old fashioned outraged cultist comment carnival. It's mainly people :lol:ing at Fart Shitizen. Uncle Derek makes an appearance!

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

Those ingrates are eating into the toupee and poloneck fund.

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

for some reason made me think of one of my favorite bands that makes music that sounds like video game music but is not

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-FypjUkPfYE

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

McGiggins posted:

I will UNironically masturbate to it.

Derek's gonna write a Love Blog about it.

Where will the madness end?

If Derek writes about how terrible the game makes him look, I'm sure he could get some of the crazies on the other side to buy it out of spite. TheAgent could be rich from this.

StarbloodKiss
Feb 3, 2016

TheAgent would be doing the Starshillizens a favor by making a game, even if it is a parody. He'd be giving them a game to bide the time with for a weekend or whatever. They're just gonna stream themselves playing it because SC is unplayable\there is no game.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
Is Squadron 4.2 done yet

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

HycoCam posted:

What is the deal with the old men streaming on Twitch? How many over 40 streamers are there? Are any of them successful?

Still can't wrap my head around twitch. Why watch someone play a game I could be playing myself? Part of me wonders if the twitch watchers are all little brothers--scarred from years of sitting on the couch and getting punched if they reached for a controller.

(I do have a 20 something in-law that streams Destiny 8+ hours every day. He legit makes $150K a year, which blows my mind, from just subscriptions.)

You might as well ask why people watch sports or travel shows or whatever instead of doing it themselves, which are not even interactive by comparison. There's going to be a myriad of different reasons for different people.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

i tried to explain twitch to my dad awhile ago. "its like how you watch golf every weekend but imagine if you could heckle sergio in real time when he shanks a drive"

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Ramadu posted:

That they have a corporation and company credit card is what I find interesting. Is it some kind of Internet cafe gaming club or something?

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

phosdex posted:

That they have a corporation and company credit card is what I find interesting. Is it some kind of Internet cafe gaming club or something?

thats what I was wondering? it's just such an incredibly bizarre situation to say. I was thinking maybe they were chinese goldfarmers or something

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator

StarbloodKiss posted:

TheAgent would be doing the Starshillizens a favor by making a game, even if it is a parody. He'd be giving them a game to bide the time with for a weekend or whatever. They're just gonna stream themselves playing it because SC is unplayable\there is no game.

All TheAgent had to do is have Derek do one small part of the game and it will be instantly untouched. Of course, considering Derek is apparently still not doing his part for goon de yada, that'd mean the game will be eternally unfinished. Which would make it even more of a Star Citizen fangame.

Strangler 42
Jan 8, 2007

SHAVE IT ALL OFF
ALL OF IT

Awesome! posted:

i tried to explain twitch to my dad awhile ago. "its like how you watch golf every weekend but imagine if you could heckle sergio in real time when he shanks a drive"

"Your_gonna_miss_this_putt is now following you"

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer

Awesome! posted:

This is an amazing analogy. I'm stealing it for my dad as well.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

Thoatse posted:

Is Squadron 4.2 done yet

Well, when you write it like that, it's obvious why it's not done yet, isn't it.
We were all fools.

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy

hot balls man no homo posted:

Finally, old people could heckle real live sports events from the safety of their couch.

I cannot wait for the VR implementation of this. Some twitcher going for a vr putt, and suddenly getting a dozen 1 bux donations from bitter old white dudes who's golfing carrers never took off.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

StarbloodKiss posted:

Which stance are you currently in?

That picture didn't have a stance for "has already hit rock bottom", sadly

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

hot balls man no homo posted:

haha nice

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

And here I thought maybe you just meant we should bury the page in the Nevada desert, like Atari buried copies of E.T. in some landfill back in the day.

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator
They actually buried copies of other games as well.

So we should also bury LoD.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

quote:

used a corporate card to buy them

Committees and corporate cards for a loving video game jfc

Golli
Jan 5, 2013

Hm I guess the whale refund is real.

Still doesn't make sense to me, but whale psychology is not my forte.

Fortunately, CIG hired the best Marine Biologist since she was a little girl.

Toblakai
Jul 11, 2017

alphabettitouretti posted:

Committees and corporate cards for a loving video game jfc

Dude, gently caress that. 45000$! For a video game! That may or may be not finished. 45000 ... Some people for a whole year to make this much.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

I cant wait for todays episode of Burn Up. Will the graph continue to trend upwards? Will they finally solve blocker issues like the game running like absolute poo poo after 12 players join an instance? Find out later today!

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Toblakai posted:

Dude, gently caress that. 45000$! For a video game! That may or may be not finished. 45000 ... Some people for a whole year to make this much.

Yeah it stupid af but I'm kinda numb to these figures now. Someone (eightace or theagent?) mentioned that they knew of a whale who was in for six figures.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

If they put so much money in the trashfire that SC has been, I sure hope that they truly asked and got the refund, even if it's way past time for a reality check for them.

I kinda also hope spite-pledging is a thing, and the reddit assholes throw more of their money to cover the refund.

PST
Jul 5, 2012

If only Milliband had eaten a vegan sausage roll instead of a bacon sandwich, we wouldn't be in this mess.
Anyone have a link to roberts saying that development started in 2011? It used to be in their own wikia but that's been edited.

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

PST posted:

Anyone have a link to roberts saying that development started in 2011? It used to be in their own wikia but that's been edited.

Stop spreading FUD you goonie cuntiflas. Everyone knows real development only started a couple of months ago at most. The first 5 years were all about building the company. Don't you know anything about game development?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wuxi
Apr 3, 2012

PST posted:

It used to be in their own wikia but that's been edited.

Development had always started in 2015