Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DSLAM
Apr 4, 2008

DSLAM fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Sep 14, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

astral
Apr 26, 2004

DSLAM posted:

I died defending something else than Trump. BYE.

DSLAM posted:

I am dead. Cheers

DSLAM posted:

Oh no, we have to play a Counter-strike match. Prayers blah blah blah

Ed balls ofc

hello stranger I think you may be lost

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction
I like VLC because it does 2x video better (audio stays in sync, audio not tone shifted, etc). Maybe MPC-BE can do that, haven't checked. MPC-HC can't handle it well though.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
I use the 64bit PotPlayer.

It has more configuration options than you can poke a stick at, a nice dark skin and has managed to play every single thing I've ever thrown at it.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I use MPC and MPV.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
After installing KB4038788 on my x250 last night, my audio is dead (apparently no audio output devices are detected).

Has this happened to anyone else?

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

This truly is the year of linux on the desktop.

TenaciousTomato
Jul 17, 2007

Interworld and the New Innocence

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

This truly is the year of linux on the desktop.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Can someone start up Edge and tell me if there's two search bars on your start/landing page for some reason? I've got the old integrated URL/Search bar and then some Bing thing under it that clips the most visited shortcuts.

I ran Malwarebytes and turned up nothing, so I'm guessing I didn't install something bad.

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
I just opened up Edge to check & saw it too just now. Immediately went away when I scrolled down (I haven't changed the defaults so I still had all the news poo poo underneath), and now I can't get it back to take a screenshot.

Now that I saw it though, I'm pretty sure it's just "lol edge" and not an installed toolbar.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Gorilla Salad posted:

I use the 64bit PotPlayer.

It has more configuration options than you can poke a stick at, a nice dark skin and has managed to play every single thing I've ever thrown at it.

I use this as well, but have come upon some trouble recently with fade to blacks in video files. Sometimes, PotPlayer just *stays* black (sound continues on etc.) and I have to restart the video and skip to that part. Doesn't happen in VLC.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Does VLC have "click on screen to pause video" yet? Or does it still require a plugin?

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

My windows seems to have trouble installing some updates.

KB4032188 failed to install in August, and KB4038788 is failing to install now.

Anything I can do to get them installed?

Asrock Z77-pro4
16gb ram
evo 840 ssd

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
I'm going to ask the most obnoxious question possible in a Windows thread: am I REALLY missing anything out with Win 10 Home vs. Win 10 Pro?

I don't care about virtualization whatsoever, 101% of the time I forget about BitLocker nor do I care about BitLocker... what else about Pro? Remote Desktop access? Don't care about that either whatsoever.

Everything I tend to do from work, education and leisure time is local and natively so everything I've read so far has me wondering why pay the extra for the Pro edition? I do PCB and circuit design work and simulations via Proteus and game my balls off. That's about it.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

The group policy editor is pro only I think, that's a pretty useful tool. But I wouldn't have paid full price for just that.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

The Slack Lagoon posted:

My windows seems to have trouble installing some updates.

KB4032188 failed to install in August, and KB4038788 is failing to install now.

Anything I can do to get them installed?

Asrock Z77-pro4
16gb ram
evo 840 ssd

When I had an update that wouldn't install for the life of me I just ran the Windows 10 Upgrade Assistant and it "refreshed" Windows, acting like a reinstall but only for Windows components, all programs and data were kept.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Wirth1000 posted:

I'm going to ask the most obnoxious question possible in a Windows thread: am I REALLY missing anything out with Win 10 Home vs. Win 10 Pro?

I don't care about virtualization whatsoever, 101% of the time I forget about BitLocker nor do I care about BitLocker... what else about Pro? Remote Desktop access? Don't care about that either whatsoever.

Everything I tend to do from work, education and leisure time is local and natively so everything I've read so far has me wondering why pay the extra for the Pro edition? I do PCB and circuit design work and simulations via Proteus and game my balls off. That's about it.

Group Policy lets you permanently alter/disable a lot of annoying poo poo in Win 10, you can for instance have the PC skip login splash screen and boot straight to desktop, or disable the software firewall and related popups, or gut Cortana.

Win 7 Pro keys are like $5 on eBay and work fine to activate Win 10 Pro so no real harm in going Pro just in case you need it.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
I'm using an Xbox One controller for some PC games, is it possible to get audio and microphone through the controller's headset on Windows 10? At the minute I have headphones plugged into the PC's speaker system and a USB microphone from the back of the PC itself but if I can use a headset on the controller it would tidy things up considerably more. If anyone can tell me about their experiences with this (setup, ease of use, etc) that would be greatly appreciated!

edit: I should add I haven't tried this myself yet because the headset adapter costs £15 and I wanted to double check that the setup would work on PC before ordering one.

Zedsdeadbaby fucked around with this message at 10:36 on Sep 25, 2017

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

I've used the Xbox 360 controller with its headset with no trouble whatsoever in Windows 7. It just shows up as another audio device when you connect it.
I can't imagine it being much different for the xbone controller and Windows 10.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

I'm using an Xbox One controller for some PC games, is it possible to get audio and microphone through the controller's headset on Windows 10? At the minute I have headphones plugged into the PC's speaker system and a USB microphone from the back of the PC itself but if I can use a headset on the controller it would tidy things up considerably more. If anyone can tell me about their experiences with this (setup, ease of use, etc) that would be greatly appreciated!

edit: I should add I haven't tried this myself yet because the headset adapter costs £15 and I wanted to double check that the setup would work on PC before ordering one.

It will work fine without drivers on Win 10, but it sounds like you have the old Xbone controller. All the ones past the first few months have improvements, namely a full 3.5mm headset jack, much better bumpers, slightly better D-pad.

If you can switch out the controller for the newer model, then you don't need the adapter. I just take an Astro A40 headset and plug it straight into the controller. If you get the Windows Xbone wireless usb stick, you can walk around your room with your headset and controller wirelessly, but I've had the audio get choppy over wireless occasionally.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Zero VGS posted:

Group Policy lets you permanently alter/disable a lot of annoying poo poo in Win 10, you can for instance have the PC skip login splash screen and boot straight to desktop, or disable the software firewall and related popups, or gut Cortana.

Win 7 Pro keys are like $5 on eBay and work fine to activate Win 10 Pro so no real harm in going Pro just in case you need it.

Those may be fine for personal use, but if you are a business, and the BSA/MS come knocking for an audit, used OEM keys/licenses off eBay will not be counted as valid in their eyes. No matter how hard you or your council/lawyer argues. Don't ask how I know this.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

We got audited and we told them we had all OEM keys for OS and they didn't blink an eye. Didn't ask for any information about it or anything.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

GreenNight posted:

We got audited and we told them we had all OEM keys for OS and they didn't blink an eye. Didn't ask for any information about it or anything.

I guess it depends on the audit type. I can tell you from experience a BSA driven audit will not turn a blind eye to such thing. They want every single invoice for every single license. They don't care about keys, only that you can prove you purchased the license legitimately from a legitimate channel. And buying used OEM keys from eBay does not qualify as a legitimate license in their eyes. (in violation of the EULA, used OEM keys cannot be resold to be used on a different machine).

stevewm fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Sep 25, 2017

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

stevewm posted:

(in violation of the EULA, used OEM keys cannot be resold to be used on a different machine).

Unless you're in the EU where Microsoft couldn't make that stick, of course.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

isndl posted:

Unless you're in the EU where Microsoft couldn't make that stick, of course.

Yeah :/

Explains why nearly all of them on eBay are from EU countries...

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

stevewm posted:

I guess it depends on the audit type. I can tell you from experience a BSA driven audit will not turn a blind eye to such thing. They want every single invoice for every single license. They don't care about keys, only that you can prove you purchased the license legitimately from a legitimate channel. And buying used OEM keys from eBay does not qualify as a legitimate license in their eyes. (in violation of the EULA, used OEM keys cannot be resold to be used on a different machine).

Yeah this wasn't BSA. It was Microsoft proper.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

stevewm posted:

Those may be fine for personal use, but if you are a business, and the BSA/MS come knocking for an audit, used OEM keys/licenses off eBay will not be counted as valid in their eyes. No matter how hard you or your council/lawyer argues. Don't ask how I know this.

I knew all that, I just wasn't in the mood to type it all since that guy sounded like he was BYOD for work and I've never heard of a business being held accountable for the state of someone's personal laptop.

We actually told the BSA to suck our dicks and it worked. Turns out out general counsel knew a lawyer who specifically fights against the BSA and the guy scared them off, to the point of "we consider this matter closed". Granted, we had to pay the anti-BSA lawyer about as much money than the BSA was actually asking for, but it's the principal of the thing. They're actually Microsoft, by the way, and just pretend to be a separate entity.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Medullah posted:

When I had an update that wouldn't install for the life of me I just ran the Windows 10 Upgrade Assistant and it "refreshed" Windows, acting like a reinstall but only for Windows components, all programs and data were kept.

I'll try this thanks

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Zero VGS posted:

I knew all that, I just wasn't in the mood to type it all since that guy sounded like he was BYOD for work and I've never heard of a business being held accountable for the state of someone's personal laptop.

We actually told the BSA to suck our dicks and it worked. Turns out out general counsel knew a lawyer who specifically fights against the BSA and the guy scared them off, to the point of "we consider this matter closed". Granted, we had to pay the anti-BSA lawyer about as much money than the BSA was actually asking for, but it's the principal of the thing. They're actually Microsoft, by the way, and just pretend to be a separate entity.

We weren't so lucky... Company hired a lawyer specializing in dealing with those types of cases. An extremely disgruntled ex-employee must have told the BSA quite the tall tale. Even after they found out we were nowhere near out of compliance as they had been told, they still didn't back down. They also did not believe the audits they had been provided. The company ended up settling for a handful of errant Office installs, and some stupid freeware apps with commercial use clauses in their EULA.

On the plus side, I was finally allowed to remove local admin from everyone after that.

CFox
Nov 9, 2005

stevewm posted:

On the plus side, I was finally allowed to remove local admin from everyone after that.

This makes it all totally worth it imo.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

stevewm posted:

I can see how you might run into that with server or SQL or what ever licenses but what type of business is buying machines that don't have their own OEM license attached?

stevewm
May 10, 2005

dissss posted:

I can see how you might run into that with server or SQL or what ever licenses but what type of business is buying machines that don't have their own OEM license attached?

After a brief stint in the small business/mom&pop MSP space, i've seen more than a few. For example those that have built their own machines, and in one case another that wanted to switch to Windows Pro cheaply.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
Even if you're the tightest company in the world that makes no sense - just buy some off lease gear and use that.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

dissss posted:

Even if you're the tightest company in the world that makes no sense - just buy some off lease gear and use that.

You haven't seen many mom&pop businesses obviously....

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

So on October 17th, do they start rolling out Windows 10 FCU through Update or is it going to be a gradual thing where if I want to upgrade now-now-now, I get an image and do it myself?

I'm holding out hope for a fix to the CU/Nvidia CPU issues, but not a lot of hope. :(

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!
It's a staggered rollout. In the past, there has been a program you download to get the upgrade immediately. You don't need to download the image manually.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Double Punctuation posted:

It's a staggered rollout. In the past, there has been a program you download to get the upgrade immediately. You don't need to download the image manually.

E: misread, sorry.

Microsoft's been trying to avoid giving out the image manually, for reasons that aren't really clear to anyone - possibly because most people don't know what to do with an ISO image anymore?

There will probably be a way to do that later on, simply so you don't need to download the same bits for every computer around you individually. It might be limited to MSDN or the Media Creation Tool's custom ISOs though (and by custom I mean 'good luck pinging its checksum on the Internet anywhere').

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Sep 26, 2017

astral
Apr 26, 2004

dont be mean to me posted:

E: misread, sorry.

Microsoft's been trying to avoid giving out the image manually, for reasons that aren't really clear to anyone - possibly because most people don't know what to do with an ISO image anymore?

There will probably be a way to do that later on, simply so you don't need to download the same bits for every computer around you individually. It might be limited to MSDN or the Media Creation Tool's custom ISOs though (and by custom I mean 'good luck pinging its checksum on the Internet anywhere').

Huh? You can still just use a non-windows-7-to-10 user agent to download ISOs at https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10ISO

After FCU is out, it'll be the FCU ISO.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Is there a free disc burning software that can burn FLAC to CD R? My google search brings up sketchy options.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Housh posted:

Is there a free disc burning software that can burn FLAC to CD R? My google search brings up sketchy options.

http://www.exactaudiocopy.de/

Exact Audio Copy should do the trick