Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

xthetenth posted:

I think that the jump corps should be quarantined from the paranoia brainstorming sessions.

Agreed, can we get on with the game without everyone posting"here's MY suggestion on how to prevent the possibility that maybe cognitohazards from beyond can destroy humanity"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

I WILL PUT THIS FLAG ON FREAKING EVERYTHING BECAUSE IT IS SYMBOLIC AS HELL SOMEHOW

OwlFancier posted:

Also even if you don't do the quarantine for jumping itself you had drat well better be quarantining anybody who sets foot on an alien planet because you should all know enough history to be aware of the effects of hitherto unencountered diseases on human populations... I appreciate that it might not be a problem for anywhere except Europa in the solar system but it's absolutely a problem for any alien worlds, especially earthlike ones and double especially any that show signs of previous habitation. If a planet is suitable for terrestrial life, then terrestrial life is probably suitable for the planet and its micro-organisms.

Space is horrible and is out to gently caress you.

An additional point. We can take that last statement literally. FTL travel throws the whole Fermi Paradox and Great Silence for a loop. Consider this: Even without FTL, a species could have colonized our entire galaxy in as few as five million years. The reason they haven't done so via slowboating is because instant point-to-point FTL travel is viable and practical to mount on reasonably sized space vessels. Fine. This leads to another question: If Sol has jump points and aliens had FTL (both things we have proven at this point) why the gently caress is humanity still around?!

I want to spell out my (fairly obvious) concerns here. An inter-stellar Collaboration of species could not deal with this. They had five million years to follow up on the Facility. They did not. The existence of that many species with FTL capabilities so close in time and space indicates that intelligent life is fairly common in this universe and they discover FTL fairly commonly. My best guess is that the Collaboration was a slightly longer-lived exception to the rule that a species that develops FTL capability is destroyed by spooky space monstrosities from the 28th dimension in pretty short order.

TL;DR: FTL travel, and possibly all of TNE-based science, is a suicide pact technology. If it wasn't the Tangaroa's first jump that alerted the outer gods, it was definitely the fourth. We have gone and hosed up.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I mean the optimistic answer is that we live in the period of calm after something ate all the aliens and then died of starvation. Just because something destroyed an intergalactic civilization doesn't mean it's still necessarily hanging around at the same potency a bazillion years later. It's equally possible that it grows in response to its prey, if its prey is FTL capable species, then the nature of the species developing FTL and how they go about using it, determines how the encounter goes. We have the advantage of knowing something already hosed up our predecessors, our predecessors themselves might not have until it was too late. Hence the abundance of caution.

Considering it like an epidemic, it might only manifest once a critical mass of FTL travel occurs and once it kills everyone, it dies itself, or perhaps the species in question created some other technology as a result of their co-operation and development which caused the catastrope. It behooves us to figure out what caused the end of their civilization and avoid doing it ourselves.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Sep 14, 2017

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
Survey the rest of the Sol jump points and no violating Facility. If that's stuff we are still voting on.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

Quarantine

For landing on alien worlds its pretty safe to assume that the smart people of the Martian science corps who have extensive experience with operating on foreign worlds are covering all the bases. I could write all about it but it comes under the heading of things that kind of happen in the background.

As for the Tangaroa she has yet to reach Mars and will be carefuly quarantined once she does. The Martian miitary tends towards the extremely paranoid side and ever since facilities refrences to some sort of hostile entities beseiging its Collaboration they have been quietly turning over concepts like the Fermi Paradox, the Great Filter and related silence of the sky.

If you think you guys are paranoid you ought to see the state of the high level strategic forecasting team.

Right now I need a vote on two things, apparently there is more support for being cautious than I thought:

• To send the Survey ships to survey the new system or to perform a gravitational suvey of Sol (this will take a long time, up to several months).
  • Attempt to break into the sealed zones of the Pluto facility or wait.

Saros fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Sep 14, 2017

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Saros posted:

Quarantine

For landing on alien worlds its pretty safe to assume that the smart people of the Martian science corps who have extensive experience with operating on foreign worlds are covering all the bases. I could write all about it but it comes under the heading of things that kind of happen in the background.

As for the Tangaroa she has yet to reach Mars and will be carefuly quarantined once she does. The Martian miitary tends towards the extremely paranoid side and ever since facilities refrences to some sort of hostile entities beseiging its Collaboration they have been quietly turning over concepts like the Fermi Paradox, the Great Filter and related silence of the sky.

If you think you guys are paranoid you ought to see the state of the high level strategic forecasting team.

Right now I need a vote on two things:

-To send the Survey ships to survey the new system or to perform a gravitation suvey of Sol (this will take a long time, up to several months).
-Attempt to break into the sealed zones of the Pluto facility or wait.

Since paranoid quarantine policy is assumed:
Survey the new system. Might as well find out what we can. More info is always useful.
Do not break in to the sealed zones of Pluto Facility. Yeah, we probably don't want to piss off Facility. Yet.

Fray
Oct 22, 2010

Survey the new system. No point in finding JPs that we'll just have to share with Earth.
Don't piss off Facility.

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

Let's Send the survey ships to the new system. by the time they are done with that we can start a grav survey in Sol and would probably give the UT an idea that we are behind in the JP game.

Also wait and don't break into the facility.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Survey the new system, we gotta get on exploiting that ASAP. And if there're Precursors or Outer Gods or whatever lurking about I'd rather trip over them sooner than later.
Let Facility be, it'll wake up when it wakes up, and hopefully not slicing it to bits in the meantime will make it more willing to share all its goodies with us in the future.

Crazycryodude fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Sep 14, 2017

CoffeeQaddaffi
Mar 20, 2009

Fray posted:

Survey the new system. No point in finding JPs that we'll just have to share with Earth.
Don't piss off Facility.

Voting this.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Survey the new system.

As far as that Pluto facility... I know some guys.

Hessi
Oct 28, 2010
First a geological survey of the new systems inner area, once that is complete, we can decide if now is the time to reveal to UT that we are able to build gravimetric scanners by sending out one of the ships to Sol and start scanning there.

Do not disturb the sleeping Facility.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

Survey the rest of the Sol jump points and no violating Facility. If that's stuff we are still voting on.

Just in case. Also, I say Sol because eventually the Terrans will do likewise. It'll be a bonus to have first crack at any worthy finds. We already "own" the other system.

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

The First of the Adorable Dead
Survey the new system with the ship we just rolled out. Once we get more ships have them start surveying the rest of Earth's jump points.

No Violating the Facility. Lets wait a little while before we do this, they reported power fluctuations, so maybe something will happen there soon if we just wait. Lets not potentially piss off the computer with a bunch of killer robots.

Question for others: Now that we stole the stealth tech, how practical would would it be on various ship types? Could we make some sort of stealth fighter?

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Yooper posted:

I'm skeptical. :v:

Leave the facility be for now and survey Sol. I'd rather have a good idea of how many open JPs there are in order to inform our strategy. The new system is ours and not going anywhere in the meantime. It also allows us to properly prepare for a coordinated foray into our system.

I don't know what we're trying to conceal by surveying the system now. We have claimed a JP already, so they know we know about jump points in the first place. Having grav sensors isn't that big a leap from there. On the other hand, pouring effort into the system won't go unnoticed and gives UT more information: that we're jump capable and an estimate of how big a ship we can jump. (I assume we couldn't keep the construction and maneuvering of jump capable ship unnoticed from determined prying eyes for long anyway.)

By the way, has anyone a link to the facility's "demands" handy?

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

I WILL PUT THIS FLAG ON FREAKING EVERYTHING BECAUSE IT IS SYMBOLIC AS HELL SOMEHOW

Pash posted:

Survey the new system with the ship we just rolled out. Once we get more ships have them start surveying the rest of Earth's jump points.

No Violating the Facility. Lets wait a little while before we do this, they reported power fluctuations, so maybe something will happen there soon if we just wait. Lets not potentially piss off the computer with a bunch of killer robots.

I am voting for this.

Saros posted:

...If you think you guys are paranoid you ought to see the state of the high level strategic forecasting team...

I am also voting that we maybe get these forecasters a bit of Xanax so they can do their jobs.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Yooper posted:

Survey the new system.

It's just sending my dude in with a pair of scissors isn't it?

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012
survey the new system

Leave the facility alone

I get the feeling that ancient base has gone through worse in its multi-millennia of existence. It'll wake up in time

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell
Survey new system

Do NOT force entry into Facility

We have 4 survey ships right now, and 4 more coming off the line soon, right?

Next batch I suggest we devote 1 ship to grav-survey Sol, and 1 to grav-survey the new system. After all the planets & large moons have been surveyed move an additional 1 survey ship to each of Sol & new system grav-survey duties from the ones surveying the new system.

Friend Commuter
Nov 3, 2009
SO CLEVER I WANT TO FUCK MY OWN BRAIN.
Smellrose
The vote seems to be decided already, but split the surveyors between Sol and Te Toi and don't blow up Pluto.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Survey the new system, do not attack the Facility

We can backfill the solar system later as necessary but that system with its freaky ring planet needs locking down ASAP. We can spare the same efforts to quarantine the crew of the ships in the event we haven't figured out the nonsense by the time they get back (as I imagine they'll be gone a while)

But, I suggest an experiment.

Jump two of the survey ships in close succession, and the other two at the same time, but with a pause between them and the other ones

That will give us a preliminary reading on the jump phenomena with a) a clean jump from the first ship, b) a jump right after another jump with the second ship, but not on the same ship, and c) a higher tonnage of jumps with the third group.

If we notice weird poo poo with the second jump we can debate on whether we want to risk sending the group together.

Another Otter
May 14, 2012
Survey the new system. Are potentially regular 1d10 SAN checks going to be worth the cost? Does a purpose-built ship fair better? More data is good.
Do not break in to the sealed zones of Pluto Facility. Angering the AI is not a smart move, even if it did get the Terran's attention.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
Survey the new system. Earth gave us this JP, as far as I know they do not know we used it yet. Lets keep that to ourselves for the moment, and not show off our grav tech just yet.

Leave facility alone
. By all means let's try to communicate with it but no blowing it up.

BwenGun
Dec 1, 2013

Survey the New System.

Leave the facility alone.

Added bonus of surveying the new system first is that it extends the time until we're surveying Sol and thus until United Terra cottons onto the fact that we have jump tech.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Survey the new system!
While doing so experiment with jump-feedback. Carefully.

Yes attempt to break into the sealed zones of the Pluto facility!!
This isn't even our planetoid! Terra could theoretically take it back any second.
Besides! If Facility is pissed just tell him we were trying to restart him somehow and started loving around.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
Survey Sol first
I want to know what is in our backyard first.

Do NOT break into the sealed zones of Pluto facility.
Or: Do NOT piss off the advanced AI :v:

sloshmonger
Mar 21, 2013
UT has definately noticed that we put out four ships of a new class. They will know that we've learned of the existence of jump points, but probably won't think we've developed jump tech that quickly. Since gravimetric sensors are revealed along with Jump Point Technology, any indication that we are surveying Sol will indicate that we've developed the ability to exploit jump points through ship-based jump engines. We have may have a potential bounty of TNE to be found and exploited in addition to the apparently plentiful near-ideal colonization candidates, and it won't take long to know. Right now, knowing what is on those planets is more important than finding new systems - and potentially an existential threat - next-door.

Therefore, we should pretend that the newly launched Tangaroa-class ships are a new type of destroyer or frigate, and dispatch it towards Triton base. At some point in transit, change directions and hit the new jump point. Once in system, perform a geo-survey of planets/moon. Such a maneuver is not likely to conceal our capabilities for long, but if we can delay our advancements being revealed it may bring an advantage down the line. As the captain of Dubious Distinction, I volunteer my ship to survey the fifth planet of -A star.

Same diversion should preferably be used for our jump-gate construction ship, but that may be too late, and not as likely to succeed due to larger Thermal signatures involved.

Also, let sleeping AI lie

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

sloshmonger posted:

Also, let sleeping AI lie
Does it dream of electric sheep?

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Saros posted:

Right now I need a vote on two things, apparently there is more support for being cautious than I thought:

• To send the Survey ships to survey the new system or to perform a gravitational suvey of Sol (this will take a long time, up to several months).
  • Attempt to break into the sealed zones of the Pluto facility or wait.

New system

Wait on facility

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

Pitching is the art of instilling fear.
Survey the new system

Leave Facility alone

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000

Xarn posted:

Do NOT break into the sealed zones of Pluto facility.
Or: Do NOT piss off the advanced AI :v:

I mean, we already fired several nuclear missiles at its most valued possession. I think that ship has sailed.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
Split the survey effort; 1 to grav survey sol, 3 to new system

Crazyeyes24
Sep 14, 2014

Your good vision is your fatal weakness!
I say survey Sol. The agreement with the UT leaves us this first system pretty well ours to survey at our leisure. Sol still has a frontier we want to explore and not fall behind Earth. Also gives us a chance to go over the first ship and make sure we didn't get into any Bad Stuff.

Secondly, we should leave Facility alone. We don't want to break anything, or worse, make it consider us hostile and stop giving us free tech.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
Extra solar survey and Hold off we jave enough on our plate atm no need for more adventures

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

Survey the new system wins by a large margin.

21 May 2052

The outgoing survey fleet and the incoming Tangaroa pass each other in the asteroid belt after taking the requisite deceptive precautions to avoid any Terran spies.

The shipyards are eagerly pulling apart the captured IC ships looking for technological secrets and repairing the samaged ships of Triton fleet.

Triton fleet I might add are enjoying their well desserved R&R on Mars. Lauded as heroes they are thoroughly enjoying it.

25 May 2052

A disguised SB unit confirms the Terrans are sitting a significant force on top of the location they disclosed as a jump point in the asteroid belt.

Not long after the Tangaroa arrives home and is placed in quarantine as an investigation begins into the incident.

28 May 2052

The Survey ships approach the jump point and prepare to resume a series of test jumps to probe the effects of what is being dubbed 'jump sickness.'

Most of a day is spent experimenting with types of jump and jump sickness. Each ship is able to jump a number of compatriot ships and emerge randomly a distance from the jump point that is constrained by the design of their jump engine.

Mars Navy J3000(3-50) Military Jump Drive Max Ship Size 3000 tons Distance 50k km Squadron Size 3

The Jump engine on the Tangaroa class is constrained to carrying two other vessels through simultaneously and can only emerge 50k km from the jump point's center. Designs are being thrown around back on Mars that allow ships to emerge 500k km from the jump point and carry up to four other ships with them.

Jump sickness appears to be unavoidable and somewhat unpredictable. Normal exposure lasts from 20 seconds to a few minutes but sucessive jumps in quick sucession cause the effect to grow even worse. While none of the tests seemed to show any effects from jumping more than one ship at once the effects of sequential jumps scales up quickly. First and second jumps are usually okay but beginning with the third a wide range of psychological symptoms manifest and the incapacitation time scales upward quickly. While no ships experienced anything as severe as the Tangaroa experimental craft the medical team is quick to reccomend a standard procedure of no more than two jumps in a 24 hour period allowing for three in emergency circumstances.

1st June 2052

After resting and topping off supplies and fuel from the Helping Hand the survey ships depart for the fifth planet of the 'Ranginui' system. Renamed after the Sky Father of Polynesian lore as the previous title had been deemed too long winded.

3 June 2052

The fleet is ten hours from a wide orbit of the ringed planet. The plan is to complete an initial survey before splitting up to survey the remaining bodies of the system.

The rings sparkle in the sunlight but even the more powerful sensors of the survey ships fail to pick up any trace of activity other than the whirling of dead and inert material.

4 June, 0528hrs

Drawing ever closer the rings continue to resolve as well as the structures rising above the atmosphere. Around twenty are still standing and the xenologists aboard the survey ships begin studying them with great interest.
The tallest is over 300km tall and the shortest pushes 220km. Rising above the atmosphere they should collapse under their own immense weight but whatever material they are made of somehow manages to hold them upright.

Several minutes pass as the ships continue to close before a shout comes from one of the sensor techs on the Callous Disregard. "Something moved!" she yells out as the scientists crowding the station burst into excited chatter. They had been perfoming close optical imaging of the top of one of the spires and what was initially thought to be background debris disappeared between images in a way that was not consistent with an unpowered orbit. Normally any ship or object at this distance would be lost against the immensity of space but sheer luck appears to have allowed them to be looking in the right place at the right time to see something move.

Whatever it was is now lost in the whirling chaos of the ring system and cannot be located with optical systems. The Thermal and EM sensors aboard the vessels are still registering nothing but only a very bright or hot source would be visible at these ranges. He could order the active sensors of the frigates turned on but that would reveal their own presence to anybody who was looking.

Colonel PThighs aboard the William Burroughs is the senior officer and they are currently out of contact with Sol so all eyes turn to him...

Goons, what orders does he give?

Saros fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Oct 5, 2017

CoffeeQaddaffi
Mar 20, 2009
LIGHT EM UP.

turn on the actives

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

:catstare:

Obviously, he gets closer

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

Coffeehitler posted:

LIGHT EM UP.

turn on the actives

:yeah: Let's find out what we're dealing with.

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!
Go quiet, drift away, call in the fleet

We just built those survey ships, no reason to get the crew killed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Added Space posted:

Go quiet, drift away, call in the fleet

We just built those survey ships, no reason to get the crew killed

On the other hand, we have no context for what we're dealing with and it could well obliterate the entire fleet, especially if it's some sort of defense network that may respond with hostility to armed ships turning up.

Turn on the active sensors.