Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe

Vykk.Draygo posted:

I wish Google had a live wallpaper that mimicked sunrise/sunset, so the sun would come up in the wallpaper when it does in your location, and gradually get higher, then lower, then sunset, and then maybe a moon? They sort of have this wallpaper already except it uses your battery % instead of the weather.

There is a live earth with clouds in the Google wallpaper app. Last week they even had a hurricane on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
I used Tapet for ages, until I realised I essentially only like 2-3 patterns and 2-3 colour palettes.

These days I have a folder of wallpapers I like, and have Muzei randomly rotate through them every day.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Montalvo posted:

I used Tapet for ages, until I realised I essentially only like 2-3 patterns and 2-3 colour palettes.

:chloe:

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Yeah, one fault I have with Tapet is that while very configurable, it's difficult to get it setup so that it creates stuff with a certain stylistic preference in mind. Also, all to identify it comes up with a color/pattern color that makes anything on your home screens unintelligible.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

The only wallpaper you need is the Google Earth wallpaper on the pixel

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

FunOne posted:

There is a live earth with clouds in the Google wallpaper app. Last week they even had a hurricane on it.

I actually like this one quite a bit. Thanks.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

I use tapet and I think it looks good, but I haven't bothered setting it up on my new phone because I look at my home screen for like 30 seconds a day.

lostleaf
Jul 12, 2009
So this might be the wrong thread to ask but does anyone have recommendations for android emulator for windows? Basically I would like to access play book and play music offline on my windows tablet. I don't play any games.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Bluestacks is a common one, I don't know if there are better

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties
I just upgraded from a Note 3 to a Note 8. Does the latest Note no longer come with SketchBook (or any other prosumer-type drawing app)? You'd think for $900 Samsung would include one.

Roid666
Jul 18, 2010

lostleaf posted:

So this might be the wrong thread to ask but does anyone have recommendations for android emulator for windows? Basically I would like to access play book and play music offline on my windows tablet. I don't play any games.

I tend to use Nox. Seems less bloated than bluestacks but YMMV.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

I would pay real money for an Android emulator that worked as a standalone desktop application on my machine and wasn't tied up in a bunch of bullshit bloat (Bluestacks), paid app auto-installs (Nox), and was up to date (both are 5.1.1, I think).

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I wonder if it would be possible to set up a raspberry pi emulator and install RTAndroid on it.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Sep 14, 2017

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

Is there a reason that the emulator built into Android Studio couldn't be used the way you guys want? I realize that it's probably a hassle installing AS just for an emulator but it would be up-to-date and unbloated.

hot date tonight!
Jan 13, 2009

Slippery Tilde
I just use plain old virtualbox for android and other OS emulation. It's open source and free for personal use, no bullshit packaged with it either.

You'll need an x86 build of android though and that might not fit your testing needs

hot date tonight! fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Sep 14, 2017

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

At the end of the day, you are probably better off getting a Chromebook with Android app support if you really want Android apps in a desktop environment.

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

Does anybody know of an app that lets you choose ringtone and notification sounds with a file browser or something instead of dumping you into this useless massive unsortable unsearchable list of every goddamn audio file on your device?

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Iirc if you have a file manager installed and you go to select the default notification sound in settings it will ask you if you want to use the file manager or the media selector

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Ali Aces posted:

Does anybody know of an app that lets you choose ringtone and notification sounds with a file browser or something instead of dumping you into this useless massive unsortable unsearchable list of every goddamn audio file on your device?

Oreo does this natively now, I thought.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I thought Ringtones go in the Ringtone folder and Notifications go in the Notifications folder and that's what it shows you when you select one. I don't think I've ever been shown anything outside of those folders and the system sounds.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Vykk.Draygo posted:

I thought Ringtones go in the Ringtone folder and Notifications go in the Notifications folder and that's what it shows you when you select one. I don't think I've ever been shown anything outside of those folders and the system sounds.

It used to but under Oreo at the bottom there's a link to the file browser labeled "Add ringtone".

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

MikeJF posted:

I wonder if it would be possible to set up a raspberry pi emulator and install RTAndroid on it.

That'd just stick you with an even more limited version of Android than BlueStacks et al.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino

Vykk.Draygo posted:

This Samsung is the first phone I've had that's done this, all my previous phones (Sonys) have just let me pick whatever but now I have to put stuff into the appropriate folder to use it.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

NonzeroCircle posted:

This Samsung is the first phone I've had that's done this, all my previous phones (Sonys) have just let me pick whatever but now I have to put stuff into the appropriate folder to use it.

Vykk.Draygo is correct in that stock Android has always only shown what's in those folders. If there was ever a time when it didn't it was back in the Gingerbread era. Sounds like Sony has made some changes to standard behavior.

Edit: In fact I know it always used to do that because Dianne Hackborn (one of the original Android framework people) wrote an app that would apply ringtones because the media scanner would often not run when you added stuff to the folders so you couldn't apply newly added files.

ClassActionFursuit fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Sep 15, 2017

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Ali Aces posted:

I had the same problem years ago and found an app called Ringtone Maker. It's ugly as hell, but it works as advertised and I've used it on my last two phones.

I just use a youtube or soundcloud downloader to grab a song and open it in there. It lets you set start/end times for whatever song you want, and (I can only assume) saves it to the appropriate folder so your phone recognizes it as a valid ringtone. It also works for notification sounds which was useful when I was looking for a longer one than the stock ones had available.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

fishmech posted:

That'd just stick you with an even more limited version of Android than BlueStacks et al.

Eh, but it's maintained. Gives you a basic AOSP7.1 and installing gapps is easy enough.

Kang has a lineage port for pi too, although it's less vetted.

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Is there a reason that the emulator built into Android Studio couldn't be used the way you guys want? I realize that it's probably a hassle installing AS just for an emulator but it would be up-to-date and unbloated.

Ridiculously slow.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Sep 15, 2017

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I must have watched two dozen five second Duo ads on YouTube today. I don't know anyone with Duo, so I'm still not gonna use it.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

MikeJF posted:

Ridiculously slow.

It's not slow anymore. It's x86 though so certain things won't work.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Uthor posted:

I must have watched two dozen five second Duo ads on YouTube today. I don't know anyone with Duo, so I'm still not gonna use it.

YouTube Red is worth every penny I pay for it.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Even before I paid for Google Play Music I'd never seen an ad on YouTube. It's 2017, time to adblock, guys.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

One day, somehow, YouTube Red will be available here :(

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

LastInLine posted:

Even before I paid for Google Play Music I'd never seen an ad on YouTube. It's 2017, time to adblock, guys.

Yeah but rooting your phone to allow ad block on it is for losers

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

LastInLine posted:

Adblocking does nothing for YouTube ads, rooted or otherwise

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Skarsnik posted:

And yet I've never in my life seen a YouTube ad. I guess I'm just not in capitalism's demographic.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

I'm fairly sure you've just had red long enough it's not been an issue for you actually

Once upon a time adblockers worked on the YouTube app, but it was a long time ago

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Skarsnik posted:

I use red nowadays too, but I'm 99% sure that ublock origin still blocks YouTube ads.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Taffer posted:

I use red nowadays too, but I'm 99% sure that ublock origin still blocks YouTube ads.

Are we talking desktop or the app here?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

I've never seen one anywhere but I'll admit I don't use the app much. Maybe twice a year? I have no use for video on a phone. Before this year I was always rooted with AdAway but I doubt I opened the app at all on my Pixel and now I guess I've got Red so it doesn't matter.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Well we happen to be in the android app thread

Blocking on the desktop is simple, on the app its essentially impossible*

*you can install a modified version made by a 13 year old on xda, or apparently adguard will block but only if you are constantly clearing data on the YouTube app :geno:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006

Maker Of Shoes posted:

YouTube Red is worth every penny I pay for it.

Same. It's excellent.

Google Music is a sweet bonus.