Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gentleman Baller
Oct 13, 2013

A Strange Aeon posted:

I dunno if you can outrun them--maybe that's what you're supposed to do? But if they find you, they'll basically force a combat unless you can persuade them, or you've used or dropped the item you stole and let them search you.

When they have accused you and the dialogue is still up, you can still open up your inventory, transfer the item to someone out of eyesight who can throw it to the ground before you say 'yeah search me I'm clean. '

If this doesn't work for you you might need telepathy but I remember this sort of thing working in Original Sin 1 so I think it's fine.

The way I made my thief fun is by putting points in everything and playing as a weaponmage. Not a battle mage or anything, but a bar full of weapon and polymorph skills. Battle stomp can take away one turn from several enemies turns for the measly cost of 2ap. Horns are great for mobility but bleed isn't all that great so pick up battering ram too, so you can take their next turn away as well. Enemy back line messing your guys up? Phoenix dive, blinding radiance can work.

Adrenaline and flesh sacrifice can make some clutch as all hell turns. If they are all knocked down, blinded or dead the lower AP and con won't matter.

This won't work for every team obviously. If you are the only one stripping enemy physical armour, the points you'll lose from finesse for memory will probably hurt. If your friendly spell casters can't teleport you out of danger or heal you then you can't be as aggressive either but with a summoner on your team you might be fine, just make sure you guys plan armory stripping accordingly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

NeurosisHead posted:

Does the stat requirements for armor and weapons scale with level, or will always be (for example) 12 strength required to equip 2 handed weapons? I'm making an inquisitor who uses warfare, aero, and hydro to get close to low magic armor enemies, stun them and beat them with a staff. I'm starting to realize though that I'd like to keep a 2 hander around for when the enemy calls for physical damage but I don't want to spread my points too thin trying to keep int and strength and con all leveled up.

This is a good question, because I took assurances weapons only have a level requirement at face value when asking if they had weapon skill requirements and completely overlooked the should have been obvious "Wait, what about Strength, dex, whatever?" stats themselves.

But I would certainly expect them to demand more points, just by virtue of the fact most games that put stat needs on leveled gear in the first place can't help but double dip your number gates. So until told otherwise, assume the requirements will go up. Finding your magical fightmans with a few too many points in strength for an optimal build would still be preferable to not being allowed to use new gear at all.

Gentleman Baller posted:

When they have accused you and the dialogue is still up, you can still open up your inventory, transfer the item to someone out of eyesight who can throw it to the ground before you say 'yeah search me I'm clean. '

If this doesn't work for you you might need telepathy but I remember this sort of thing working in Original Sin 1 so I think it's fine.

Suggesting people abuse UI loopholes or take secondary skills to make thievery even workable doesn't really come across as it being a polished and viable skill, even if you think it's fine :v:

Section Z fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Sep 15, 2017

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
How's the game guys

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

PantsBandit posted:

How's the game guys

I was enjoying it until I couldn't win either of the battles I need to, couldn't find a way to get the stuff I need to win the fights, and couldn't adjust the difficulty without restarting. I'll try again tomorrow when I'm less frustrated.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof

Prism posted:

I was enjoying it until I couldn't win either of the battles I need to, couldn't find a way to get the stuff I need to win the fights, and couldn't adjust the difficulty without restarting. I'll try again tomorrow when I'm less frustrated.

You can adjust the difficulty in options

Gentleman Baller
Oct 13, 2013
Edit::^ not on the hardest difficulties you can't.

Section Z posted:

Suggesting people abuse UI loopholes or take secondary skills to make thievery even workable doesn't really come across as it being a polished and viable skill, even if you think it's fine :v:

Oh that was absolutely not a defence of the design decisions, just a work around
for people who abused invis last game and want something partially as exploitable.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

KyloWinter posted:

You can adjust the difficulty in options

Oh, I read in this thread you couldn't. At least there's that as an option then.

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

PantsBandit posted:

How's the game guys

Pretty good, the interconnectivity is pretty amazing but also somewhat frustrating. For example, one NPC is involved in like 3 quests AND he's also the only one who sells fire magic in Act 1; two of those quests can result in him dying, which significantly complicates progressing on the third and can potentially gimp your fire mages. Overall there's so much content that it's actually kind of intimidating, I have 15 open quests and I'm not even done with Act 1 yet.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Random rear end in a top hat posted:

Pretty good, the interconnectivity is pretty amazing but also somewhat frustrating. For example, one NPC is involved in like 3 quests AND he's also the only one who sells fire magic in Act 1; two of those quests can result in him dying, which significantly complicates progressing on the third and can potentially gimp your fire mages. Overall there's so much content that it's actually kind of intimidating, I have 15 open quests and I'm not even done with Act 1 yet.

are you talking about the lizard that the elf murders? I really shouldn't have been surprised by what happened when I let her talk to him; but I'd kinda assumed I'd get a chance to intervene. :v:

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

A Strange Aeon posted:

Yeah, even picking up an owned, red item pulls you out of invisibility and pisses people off. Very different from the first game. And pickpocket almost requires you to also have persuasion to talk your way out of it--no matter what, it seems if you pickpocket someone, they will notice, regardless of stealth or thievery skill, and start looking around for who took their stuff. I dunno if you can outrun them--maybe that's what you're supposed to do?

That's exactly what I do. I detach my sneak dude, he goes in and grabs a bunch of stuff quickly and rejoins the party. Then everyone just books it outta there to go to the next crime scene.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

Section Z posted:

This is a good question, because I took assurances weapons only have a level requirement at face value when asking if they had weapon skill requirements and completely overlooked the should have been obvious "Wait, what about Strength, dex, whatever?" stats themselves.

But I would certainly expect them to demand more points, just by virtue of the fact most games that put stat needs on leveled gear in the first place can't help but double dip your number gates. So until told otherwise, assume the requirements will go up. Finding your magical fightmans with a few too many points in strength for an optimal build would still be preferable to not being allowed to use new gear at all.

In some of their early iterations weapons just required or were keyed off of a specific stat, but didn't have a value attached. I'm assuming that stat requirements will scale because they exist, which now makes me want to start over and game the system a little harder.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Ap maxes at 6 and you can never gain more?

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

christ, i go one way out of the starting area and get one shot by a armored dude, go the other way and get 2 shot by some dude that runs up wanting to fight

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
For anyone who has at least played through the EA. How common are spears? I like the idea, and they are the "Finesse" two-handed weapon. But I'm so used to niche weapons being in short supply without foreknowledge pointing you to guaranteed loot, compared to the more common statistic equipment.

Speaking of two-handed weapons and stats. I've noticed they gave the inquisitor a huge fuckoff two-handed Warhammer instead of a staff now in the presets. But it still says their warfare skills get a bonus off INT in chargen.

Then what the heck is dictating the damage bonus stat? Or is it a baked in chargen menu listing rather than a "Real" tooltip? But then, I could have sworn I saw someone say Necro works off STR, when I've yet to see that in any tooltip for anything.

I will openly admit that wonky tooltips/instructions is always something that bugs me quite a lot. But in a game like this, that sort of information is much more important than "Megaman 1 manual told kid me down lets you crouch, when it doesn't".

More philosophical questions: If Elemental affinity gives you a 1 AP discount for casting elemental spells while standing in said element. Does "Blood" count as an elemental? (I get the feeling you can't get away with 'pavement and dirt road = bonus to rock spells'). I bet the discount has a "1 AP minimum" limitation anyways, even if it gave a discount on sucking up blood like a vacuum or shooting mosquitoes at people in the first place.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Sep 15, 2017

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

KyloWinter posted:

Electric Discharge is a lvl 1 Aero spell that does 6-7 damage that shocks and stuns at 15m range that costs 2 AP

Shocking Touch is a lvl 1 Aero spell that does 6-7 damage that shocks and stuns at melee range that costs 2 AP

I cannot understand why they changed Shocking Touch from 1 AP to 2 AP for release

e: change difficulty in the options

it still allows you to chain stun a dude, also touch has marginal utility in that it doesn't electrify pools on the ground.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Section Z posted:

The whole thieving thing in this game is an overcorrection from D:OS 1 where the only thing keeping you from never having to pay for anything was arbitrary limits to how much you could pickpocket.

Red Minjo
Oct 20, 2010

Out of the houses, which is the most blue?

The answer might not be be obvious at first.

Gravy Boat 2k
I'm early in the game and found a repeatable source of teleportation, so I dicked around finding treasures for a bit. I find a little cave thing and then all of a sudden I'm in a new map with no real animation and unable to go back the way I came in. It was pretty disorienting because instantly some guy is yelling about me being in this new room and I basically have to tell him "the door was unlocked" instead of "I crawled in a tunnel and fell here apparently." Made me feel like I had accidentally done some sort of Wrong Warp type of thing. Glad I remembered you can just teleport to shrines from anywhere. Also not sure how I'm supposed to get to that area without either teleportation or unprompted mass murder of guards.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

ChrisBTY posted:

The whole thieving thing in this game is an overcorrection from D:OS 1 where the only thing keeping you from never having to pay for anything was arbitrary limits to how much you could pickpocket.

It's stuff like this that give me a flinch reaction to "Think outside the box!" because nearly every time I try to think outside the box (or just use my own take on Normal Boring Gameplay) Devs and (most) GMs get mad :saddowns: But then I'm also used to even the most rules exploitey players and GMs getting upset that my attempts to use incredibly basic things don't fit their mindset.

Options! Think outside the box! Look at all these cool ways you can snap the game over your knee!-Whoa there, you're using invisibility to make pick pocketing easier? What is this horseshit ruining my carefully plotted out curve :mad:

Section Z fucked around with this message at 09:04 on Sep 15, 2017

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

i had a companion talk to someone then pickpocketed them while they were distracted. then i hid the item in a box and came back for it later. it was really easy. what are you melting down about

Jack the Lad
Jan 20, 2009

Feed the Pubs

cuntman.net posted:

i had a companion talk to someone then pickpocketed them while they were distracted. then i hid the item in a box and came back for it later. it was really easy. what are you melting down about

Yeah I was doing this all last night.

1. Talk to someone.
2. Your buddy picks their pocket and runs away.
3. Finish talking.
4. They notice they've been robbed and maybe ask to search you.
5. Allow it, you have nothing to hide.
6. Meet up and split the loot.

I usually sell it afterwards or read the skillbook or whatever because I'm not sure how long they hold a grudge.

You can also just talk your way out of being searched with Persuasion but I haven't had to yet.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Heads up potential necromancers, apparently blood rain now needs points in Hydro to craft, or something.

Very glad I'm waiting at least a day for hotfixes and wikis to shake out a bit. As that would have been a rude moment for my original considerations of a Warfare/Necro ala Inquisitor.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Sep 15, 2017

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
Looking at the skill list in the Gamemaster mode, there's a fair amount of skills that require more than one discipline to actually use. There are a ton of skills that reward mixing physical trees with magical ones, like Poison Weapon(geo + scoundrel) and Spark Weapon(pyro + warfare). It's kind of neat.

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.
I'm so completely paralyzed by class choice right now. Red prince seems great. And the natural fire resist seems perfect for a fighter with how much wizards love throwing fireballs, but unsure on a secondary.

And probably want to try an Archer, since it's the one class I didn't play in 1.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
My current build is a Lizard summoning archer. You don't really need points in INT at all to boost your summon spells, so you can focus on finesse for archery damage and use your ability points for summoning. Arrow saver and elemental archer talents. The turret summon skill might be broken, because you can use it every round, and if you keep enemies away from your turrets you can drop a crazy amount of them during a battle, and even if they die in one hit, they draw aggro away from you and waste the AI's turn. So I drop one turret and shoot one arrow every round.
It is crazy effective and you can dish out tons of ranged damage, either physical or magical (and you have a free racial skill to generate fire surfaces as a lizard). I don't think any other class combo can be this flexible when you need to do either physical or magical damage. Need physical, shoot non elemental arrows and summon without surfaces. Need magical, summon from surfaces, elemental arrow skill and special arrows.

I'm sad that the unstable talent isn't (obviously) as good as described. I though it said that you exploded when dying and dealt your vitality as damage in a 3 meter radius. So I built a dwarf tank with 20 con so far, around 160hp at level 4, and expected him to explode like a nuclear bomb when he died, killing basically everything around him. But noooo, the explosion damage is how much hp you had when taking the deathblow, so it's always a piddly 1-10dmg explosion. I want my talent point back!

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
Is there a better staff anywhere in the starting area? My wizard is still using his level 1 makeshift staff.

If I craft a new makeshift staff will it still be level 1? (I can't find a long branch to craft one anyway :( )

Game is a lot of fun but for me the starting area has required a lot of reloading to figure out which order to do the fights in without getting my rear end kicked. I think the next on my list should be the frogs in the elf cave but they are still pretty tough. And is it possible to beat the underground battle arena thing?, or do I just come back later after escaping? Feels like I'm really having to scrounge for every tiny scrap of XP and gear.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I convinced Stingtail that turning over the drudanae to Griff would be the right call, then promptly betrayed him because I didn't think I could take on all his men. The elf in the cage thanked me profusely and gave me Suheila's amulet to return to her, but I decided that the ammy's stats are too good and decided to keep it for myself. This game really tests the limits of your morality when phat loot is to be found.

Jack the Lad
Jan 20, 2009

Feed the Pubs

fuf posted:

Is there a better staff anywhere in the starting area? My wizard is still using his level 1 makeshift staff.

If I craft a new makeshift staff will it still be level 1? (I can't find a long branch to craft one anyway :( )

Game is a lot of fun but for me the starting area has required a lot of reloading to figure out which order to do the fights in without getting my rear end kicked. I think the next on my list should be the frogs in the elf cave but they are still pretty tough. And is it possible to beat the underground battle arena thing?, or do I just come back later after escaping? Feels like I'm really having to scrounge for every tiny scrap of XP and gear.

Crafted weapons scale to your level when you craft them, and it's not a bad idea to craft a new one every 1-2 levels if you can't find/steal/afford one from a vendor.

There are a few long branches along the road from where you wash up to where you enter town.

The arena isn't that bad, and you can put your ranged guys up on the platform where you start to get 20-30% high ground bonus.

exquisite tea posted:

I convinced Stingtail that turning over the drudanae to Griff would be the right call, then promptly betrayed him because I didn't think I could take on all his men. The elf in the cage thanked me profusely and gave me Suheila's amulet to return to her, but I decided that the ammy's stats are too good and decided to keep it for myself. This game really tests the limits of your morality when phat loot is to be found.

I didn't realise standing up for Stingtail would start a fight with Griff & Pals and figured I'd definitely die, but then surprised myself by killing them all with only one death.

...I then reloaded the game and turned Stingtail in anyway, because Grfif seems pretty important and I didn't want to lose access to any quests/vendor stuff :negative:

It's cool that this game lets you kill anyone at any time but I get paranoid about missing out on stuff when I do.

Jack the Lad fucked around with this message at 11:35 on Sep 15, 2017

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

Jack the Lad posted:

Crafted weapons scale to your level when you craft them, and it's not a bad idea to craft a new one every 1-2 levels if you can't find/steal/afford one from a vendor.

There are a few long branches along the road from where you wash up to where you enter town.

The arena isn't that bad, and you can put your ranged guys up on the platform where you start to get 20-30% high ground bonus.

Thanks, good to know.

I beat the frogs and got a level 3 staff just after my last post :)

Time to try the arena again...

Exodee
Mar 30, 2011

Section Z posted:

Heads up potential necromancers, apparently blood rain now needs points in Hydro to craft, or something.

Very glad I'm waiting at least a day for hotfixes and wikis to shake out a bit. As that would have been a rude moment for my original considerations of a Warfare/Necro ala Inquisitor.
Or you can just buy the skill book straight from a vendor, no need to craft the skill yourself.

e:

Section Z posted:

For anyone who has at least played through the EA. How common are spears? I like the idea, and they are the "Finesse" two-handed weapon. But I'm so used to niche weapons being in short supply without foreknowledge pointing you to guaranteed loot, compared to the more common statistic equipment.
As someone who went through the EA with spears (as a Lizard, no less), they're slightly less common than other weapons, but every major vendor had spears in their stock in my experience. You can also get a decent spear very early in the game if you have someone with some strength in your party.

Exodee fucked around with this message at 11:55 on Sep 15, 2017

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Exodee posted:

Or you can just buy the skill book straight from a vendor, no need to craft the skill yourself.

e:

As someone who went through the EA with spears (as a Lizard, no less), they're slightly less common than other weapons, but every major vendor had spears in their stock in my experience. You can also get a decent spear very early in the game if you have someone with some strength in your party.

Most of that is encouraging, even if "We hid the DEX weapon behind a STR check!" is exactly the sort of thing I asked the question in the first place for :v:

Hopefully there isn't too much of that, to lessen the awkward feeling of collecting piles of swords on your way to buy a new Not Sword.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 12:13 on Sep 15, 2017

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

So unless the Mask of the Shapeshifter that Fane starts out with (and soon loses) is different than the one you can later craft, it looks like it doesn't give you corpse-eater for turning into an elf anymore. Now you get Flesh Sacrifice.

Cousin Todd
Jul 3, 2007
Grimey Drawer
As a heads up... there is no undo when leveling up now. You click on dex, your point is spent on dex with no take baksies unless you reload your save. Why the hell would they get rid of a perfectly good feature like that!?

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

Kharmakazy posted:

As a heads up... there is no undo when leveling up now. You click on dex, your point is spent on dex with no take baksies unless you reload your save. Why the hell would they get rid of a perfectly good feature like that!?

Noticed that too. That is definitely...stupid.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Is there a best place to complain about things you want them to change in a patch?

No undo on levelling and auto levelling companions just both seem . . painful and dumb.

edit: i guess the larian forums

Exodee
Mar 30, 2011

Section Z posted:

Most of that is encouraging, even if "We hid the DEX weapon behind a STR check!" is exactly the sort of thing I asked the question in the first place for :v:

Hopefully there isn't too much of that, to lessen the awkward feeling of collecting piles of swords on your way to buy a new Not Sword.
Yeah that spear was a neat surprise when we found it (my friend was fortunately a sword-and-board Strength tank), but knowing it's there would be rather annoying on repeat playthroughs, from an optimization point of view. ;)

As far as my spear-build goes, it was pretty effective overall. I had Warfare (obviously) and Pyro (mostly for Haste) as my starting skills, but later dipped a little into Huntsman for the Vault skill and First Aid. (I *think* First Aid scales with Finesse, but its a handy skill to have nonetheless to get rid of knock-down)
The only real disadvantage was the lack of Strength to wear heavy armor, but the Finesse based medium armors did the job quite well as long as my friend was on the ball with tanking.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Why are people unhappy about autoleveling companions?

I definitely agree that not being able to Confirm your stat/skill points is dumb though.

Clever Spambot
Sep 16, 2009

You've lost that lovin' feeling,
Now it's gone...gone...
GONE....
Presumably because it throttles your strategic options in a strategy rpg by taking the progression of the majority of the party out of the hands of the player.

Exodee
Mar 30, 2011

Clever Spambot posted:

Presumably because it throttles your strategic options in a strategy rpg by taking the progression of the majority of the party out of the hands of the player.
It only autolevels them as they join you. You can still level them up manually afterwards.

Clever Spambot
Sep 16, 2009

You've lost that lovin' feeling,
Now it's gone...gone...
GONE....

Exodee posted:

It only autolevels them as they join you. You can still level them up manually afterwards.

Ah ok, thats kind of annoying then but less of a big deal.

Points are at kind of a premium i guess and not being able to pick their first talent is kind of a shame, but it doesn't bug me too much either way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
So you can never increase youR AP?